• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Happened in GAF-Hop too (and to a greater degree, losing half of the OG community posters), but I think as time has gone on, most of the the quirky personalities, shitstarters, devil's advocates, and generally antagonistic and aggressive posters have met the banhammer and it has made discussions a wee bit less exciting and lively lol

Line_HTX

A ) He's not working for Capcom anymore
B ) Capcom told him to stop talking on Reddit / Twitter etc...

No matter what, it sucks for him and for us. I hope everything is alright for him.

That is a huge loss. What scumbags, packing him up and throwing him to the side of the road.

shaowebb

Combofiend will probably get the boot if Marvel Infinite doesn't do well.

Well considering the first executive decisions essentially took away the core aspect that folks wanted most out of Marvel its not looking good. It looks like a good fighting game but it most certainly does not sound like a "MVC sequel" on the terms folks were referring to...ie assists and 3v3. The FGC will buy regardless but its a bait and switch that already is starting it out with a less than positive reputation. Folks are remaining optimistic but even optimistic posts all resonate the same thoughts that they wanted a sequel with 3v3 and assists. It makes it seem like the company didn't listen to fans of the series about why they loved it so much.

They're gonna have to push HARD at single player content and casual markets regardless given the past several fighting games they've pumped out soured the casual market on them for nickel and dime tactics and low value core product at launch issues.If Combofiend's job hinges on this title he's not in a good starting position given the history he's inherited from SFV and SFxTekken's image and starting MVC:I out on a divisive note isn't a positive start. The FGC isn't enough to float a game anyhow so they flatout need the casuals to adore this one which seems to be the mindset behind every decision on the game we know of so far in terms of gameplay. Whether these are the right calls is anyone's guess right now. What they need to do is come up with modes and features and start pushing that as the main story and not just that its another Marvel game. They need those casual sales because frankly the FGC will support it no matter what they feel about the changes because its marvel and a capcom fighting game. Combofiend's main goal should be casual content and how to hook that crowd.

Perro

Working for Capcom must've been dream jobs these guys. Reminds me of Ben Assfleck on his Batman fanboyism. What a mess.

shaowebb

Honestly, I feel that gameplay balance never translates into "give a shit tier" to casual audiences so the whole no assists and only 2 character teams is a moot thing. They'll get bodied online and they know it. The only thing they care about are characters, modes, and collectibles honestly. How much is there to unlock and do on their own or with just their friends because no casual ever stays with a fighting game online.

They could've just kept MVCI 3v3 with assists and it wouldn't have mattered. The only thing they need to do to pull casuals is focus on the single player stuff. Any talk on balance and combat systems will just go over their head and they'll ignore it anyways.

JeTmAn81

Honestly, I feel that gameplay balance never translates into "give a shit tier" to casual audiences so the whole no assists and only 2 character teams is a moot thing. They'll get bodied online and they know it. The only thing they care about are characters, modes, and collectibles honestly. How much is there to unlock and do on their own or with just their friends because no casual ever stays with a fighting game online.

They could've just kept MVCI 3v3 with assists and it wouldn't have mattered. The only thing they need to do to pull casuals is focus on the single player stuff. Any talk on balance and combat systems will just go over their head and they'll ignore it anyways.

Agreed. If anything, I would think that casuals would find the option to select one more character to be a good thing. Get as many of your favorite superheroes in the mix as you can. If there's an Injustice style story mode where you get to play as a bunch of the biggies that would go a long way towards greater mass appeal.

shaowebb

Agreed. If anything, I would think that casuals would find the option to select one more character to be a good thing. Get as many of your favorite superheroes in the mix as you can. If there's an Injustice style story mode where you get to play as a bunch of the biggies that would go a long way towards greater mass appeal.

The only thing I think they did that would translate well to casuals is tag combos. However, its not something you can generally explain to casuals. Its just something they tend to gush over after the fact once they play. I've noticed that casual players adored the easy tag combos in SFxTekken and Tekken Tag because throughout mashing they would do something really long and cool. Taking the emphasis off of air combo extending and putting it onto the ground portion in a simple manner will make them enjoy the game more.

However, again I state that this is only something they'll enjoy after they play it. Telling them about a combat system tool generally does not translate to give a shit in conversation with casuals. They just need to know about characters, modes, and unlockables and thats all. They don't care about the rest.

Working for Capcom must've been dream jobs these guys. Reminds me of Ben Assfleck on his Batman fanboyism. What a mess.

I remember wanting to work at Polyphony Digital in HS. Then I saw a video of people sleeping under desks and the hours poured into a "bad" game.

I saw how the sausage was made and I still jumped in.

shaowebb

I remember wanting to work at Polyphony Digital in HS. Then I saw a video of people sleeping under desks and the hours poured into a "bad" game.

I saw how the sausage was made and I still jumped in.

I applied at 38 studios after seeing their open door policy and studio culture vid. A week later the controversy hit and they were bankrupt. Industry is full of a lot of "dreams" that are actually nightmares.

Sad thing is, Kingdoms of Amalur was fucking stellar. Had some healing equipment stuff to balance but thats easy enough. Game was just damned amazing and I feel its combat highly influenced the path many developers switched to in western rpg's and MMORPG's in general. It absolutely hurts that they fell apart. I loved what they made.

Line_HTX

Tiger Uppercut low profiles mids

What I don't like about the assists removal is the obvious "it's too complicated and you have to make too many choices before your play". If that's pretty true, maybe the real problem is just that using a stupid nomination like Alpha/Beta/Omega + the move's name doesn't talk to anybody.

You could have an entire separate screen too choose your assist with example on how to use them with the characters you currently selected. A Doom beam? Show Wolverine moving forward. A dp? Show a defensive character saved by it. It would trigger your imagination as well as explaining your how the game works.

You can turn something that seems boring and complicated to something that gives you pleasure and excites your imagination. But for doing this you need to have accessibility, good user interfaces and just not do it like it bothers you.

It's basically asking Capcom to just do their job and that seems like a joke.

I grabbed the latest Fantasy Strike build and mucked about in it for an hour.

The game's still a blast. A janky blast, but a blast. And the improvement over the earlier builds is obvious.

who in their right mind actually missed deckard cain? Dude was only tolerable b/c of how easy it was to laugh at him.

Also I hear eliza is free if you preorder t7 but gotta pay otherwise. I thought that game wasnt supposed to have paid dlc

Also I hear eliza is free if you preorder t7 but gotta pay otherwise. I thought that game wasnt supposed to have paid dlc

That's right. It totally has paid DLC now, there's even a season pass.

Though they have said people wouldn't have to pay for upcoming 'classic' characters, and the two in the season pass are 'special' characters instead.

No one knows what that means exactly of course.

Kikirin

All I heard is that he can use more moves in the air now and lost his cross-up command normal. What else?

Also: can combo off air throw with RC, and lost 2K > 5H gatling. Former's a buff, but the latter is a relative nerf in that it could hurt some conversions via knockback when c.S/f.S has to be added before 5H.

Dash autoguard got nerfed into the ground

Is there more to the nerf aside from shorter guard frames? It's coupled with a shorter total dash duration, which could mean being (slightly) less punishable on bad usage.

Lowered his defense, 2/3H don't launch anymore and prob something else I'm forgetting.

Yeah, these hurt. They did shrink his crouching hurtbox, which might help offset the defense drop some. And for now it sounds like we might not get anything from 2/3H regular hit without seals.

Beckx

is there a price yet for the Rev2 upgrade? will it hit Steam at the...nevermind, i probably shouldn't even ask that.

Wednesday Night Fights catered by Okamoto kitchen tonight, damn

shaowebb

What I don't like about the assists removal is the obvious "it's too complicated and you have to make too many choices before your play". If that's pretty true, maybe the real problem is just that using a stupid nomination like Alpha/Beta/Omega + the move's name doesn't talk to anybody.

You could have an entire separate screen too choose your assist with example on how to use them with the characters you currently selected. A Doom beam? Show Wolverine moving forward. A dp? Show a defensive character saved by it. It would trigger your imagination as well as explaining your how the game works.

You can turn something that seems boring and complicated to something that gives you pleasure and excites your imagination. But for doing this you need to have accessibility, good user interfaces and just not do it like it bothers you.

100% this. So many problems that developers think they have with a game being too complicated could just plain be mitigated with a better UI to make things obvious.

A perfect example was how Castlevania Lords of Shadow handled new moves and abilities you could unlock. You go to the skill tree and when you read about them there was a preview like this one to show you what it did.

tq20gVD.gif

Now just imagine a smaaaaaaall window that pops out beside the assist move names that shows an enemy or situation and the move. Tadah! Its instant training! They'll play, see that situation and call the assist. Better still it may inspire them to think of new ways to use this tool as well.

Games like Arcana Heart with its selectable new moves, Dengeki Bunko with its assists, Nitroplus Blasterz with its assists, Chaos Code with its custom moveset stuff, and especially Marvel with assists can all benefit with this simple thing.
Its such a basic concept about UI that baffles me that no one else has done. I've been working on a UI portfolio piece reworking Arcana Heart 3's bad UI on Arcana that does this as well as using it in my own shit for awhile now. It was one of the first things me and Q said had to be in these sorts of games and we're new to making shit. Confuses me how veteran teams dont do it already. Should be standard.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Where is that guy. Add me on steam. Might play some Ultra tonight. I have to dig through my mountain of sticks and see which one I want to use.

Yeah, it would be a lot better if each assist showed a silhouette along with a generic name like "Projectile", "Beam", or "Pin". Or go full Smash Bros and just show a video while you flip through the options. Or go Skullgirls and let people choose any move at all...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, it would be a lot better if each assist showed a silhouette along with a generic name like "Projectile", "Beam", or "Pin". Or go full Smash Bros and just show a video while you flip through the options. Or go Skullgirls and let people choose any move at all...
Didn't Alpha, Beta and Gamma roughly correspond to a "type" of assist in MvC2 or am I misremembering/making that up? Never was anything that specific, though.

Sayad

All I heard is that he can use more moves in the air now and lost his cross-up command normal. What else?
Don't know about his nerfs in general, but the command cross up is to nerf mid-screen oki, a general direction they're taking with Rev 2, almost everyone except oki characters is getting hit... Actually Millia mid-screen oki might be nerfed too, until they find replacement routes for j.H knockdown.

shaowebb

no one in this thread is hyped for 1st person USF2 :(

Looks like a children's game VR cash in. Sorry. If flailing like a power ranger in full motion Kinect doin henshin poses and dbz stuff in a similar format weren't fun enough to do more than pass 30 minutes and never be used again then I seriously doubt this is anything special.

VR sorta waggle games in general just feel that way to me. Best we ever had were things like No More Heroes sword combat and thats about all.

Top Bottom