• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

mbpm1

It's already fixed....

In Marvel Infinite.

giphy.gif

Looks like the camera is turning around

MVCI will be 3D confirmed

megaman confirmed top tier b/c one minute he's in a combo, and the next frame he's doing a super. Must have a combo break/guard cancel super

Dahbomb

Was there a stand out combination of cards and team? I don't recall what it was
I think the hierarchy was:

Parry card > X factor boost cards (ones that gave you XF3 boost) > Life gain/regen cards

The Life gain/regen cards you attached them on high health characters and they basically did not die to anything except the X factor boost cards.

There was also a gimmick chip plus meter team which just spammed you with supers until you died from chip (so like Storm's Hailstorm plus other supers for THCs).

Yeah it was broken beyond reason. But you could have a lot of fun with it if you didn't use the clearly broken S tier cards (they were actually ranked S tier as cards and were rarer to acquire).

Why not as a universal mechanic?

If Gems really are as in depth as Cap vs SNK style grooves are, then I think that GG style bursts would be limited to a gem. It gives players some options like "do I want a combo breaker, or do I want the ability to extend my combos through ground bounces?". That's probably the one thing I'm most interested about with Marvel Infinite right now: just how in depth are the infinity gems?

Line_HTX

Good to see your OG name back, Numb.

Lol, attempting to wakeup Rage Art against Alisa's FLY cancel. That's not going to work ever.

Numb

Good to see your OG name back, Numb.

Lol, attempting to wakeup Rage Art against Alisa's FLY cancel. That's not going to work ever.

;_;

And it leaves in her crouching for those high supers on top being fast and evasive
You gotta predict well tho

BadWolf

MMCafe's Professor made an interesting post about casual vs. competitive players (in light of SNK's Japanese survey showing how many more casuals there are):

Micky actually mentioned a nice point in the previous thread which I'm rather eager about explaining.

Back in the 1990s golden years of fighting games, the general bulk of players in Japan at least for the NeoGeo scene were more interested in playing single player modes. The competitive players were around as well, but they were a minority. High-level players weren't considered celebreties, they were just oddballs.

The single player experience at the arcades were just as magical (if not more) than the competitive experience. Home consoles back then weren't that powerful so even for 2D games, you needed to hit the arcades to play them. People would crowd around to see the ending when someone was playing vs CPU and got to the boss, because back then the bosses were actually tough. People would get impressed by seeing them get beat, kind of like how you'd beat the last monster and save the princess in the slew of action games that made up the arcades up to that time.

Of course, back then it was a different time. We're talking about a time when there were maybe more arcades than convenience stores in Japan (or at least Tokyo) thanks to the fighting game boom. There were so many arcades to pick from. Some arcades would serve drinks, some had headphones on the cabs so you can listen in stereo while cutting down on the arcade's ambient noise... It was a totally different age than the current arcade scene where you're doomed to play in the handful of surviving smokey arcades that can barely rake in a profit from their loyally addicted players. The overall casual population was just so huge.

The thing with the current competitive/esports fighting game scene that really scares me is that when players mention about the yesteryears, they never talk about how there was more to the scene than just competition, and that's made the arcades and fighting games so big.

Perhaps it's because they've only known their small competitive side of fighting games, and with no one but hardcore players left in the scene any more, nobody is left to tell the other side of the tale. Perhaps I can change that when MMCafe hits the 20th anniv' mark.

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13637.shtml#end

Made a thread for the survey.

Dahbomb

Yup totally spot on.

Majority of people didn't walk into an arcade and instantly started playing a fighting game. My personal first favorite arcade game was After Burner and it was something I played with my dad too. I also played and beat Golden Axe with a friend, an experience and achievement I will never forget. Same for Cadillac's and Dinosaurs but we never managed to beat that one in the arcades (so much cheap nonsense in that game but damn if it wasn't hype!).

Numb

MMCafe's Professor made an interesting post about casual vs. competitive players (in light of SNK's Japanese survey showing how many more casuals there are):

Made a thread for the survey.

Yup totally spot on.

Majority of people didn't walk into an arcade and instantly started playing a fighting game. My personal first favorite arcade game was After Burner and it was something I played with my dad too. I also played and beat Golden Axe with a friend, an experience and achievement I will never forget. Same for Cadillac's and Dinosaurs but we never managed to beat that one in the arcades (so much cheap nonsense in that game but damn if it wasn't hype!).

For us it was bout the money
People would rather spend it on Contra arcade,Soccer brawl,Felix and obelix etc since the same amount for 1 fighting game match you could run a whole game like Mutation Nation from the start to finish(if you were good enough that is)
Plenty of SNK fighters till SFII dropped. Then nobody cared about their money and fighting blew up like nothing else

Dahbomb

It was the triple combo of SF2, MK and KoF that blew up the arcades.

It was still fine to use coins on Arcade mode. I felt good beating SF2 in arcades cheesing AI with Blanka electricity attack.

shaowebb

Yup totally spot on.

There were no arcades where I lived. I was living in a trailer up in the hills so it was like 30+ minutes to a generic grocery store. First arcade machines I saw were at a "Maloneys" department store in the middle of nowhere. I believe it was SF2 and I just stared at attract mode forever. Eventually I got Special Championship edition and it was about all I played for 2 years. Later We drove over an hour to the mall in Huntington WV one summer for school clothes and they had a Tilt Arcade...I saw Xmen Children of the Atom and would not leave the machine. I adored that shit. I only got to hit the mall like once a year so that game was my big event.

Then MVC2 was there and my world was blown away. Its why I flipped out in spite of not bein FGC over Marvel 3's announcement. I always wanted to be a part of these things but lacked the opportunity till then. I suppose I could've gone in on SFIV but I didn't care for it and I was trying at the time to watch and learn TVC from streams with Skisonic, Keits and Marn that would pop up. Online gaming was hell back then though. Worse than MVC3 even. Marvel 3 hit and ended those streams and I knew what I would be playing and learning specifics with.

Took several years of study but after I got some fundamentals I started feeling Marvel was busted and wanted to explore. Course now I understand the appeal of a game that lets you be busted lol. There are a few like that. Now I just sorta go around and study and catalog design and stuff from various fighting games. I don't get that great at any one in particular though since I spread myself thin but I've had decent success both online and at local tournies with NRS titles. I know what I like now.

#myarcadetoFGCjourneyinWV

Dahbomb

Man I lived in Pakistan and still got more access to arcades than you LOL!

One token used to cost one rupee, I would take 50 rupees from parents and go ham. Also played a crap ton of other games that I don't even remember the names of anymore.

shaowebb

Man I lived in Pakistan and still got more access to arcades than you LOL!

One token used to cost one rupee, I would take 50 rupees from parents and go ham. Also played a crap ton of other games that I don't even remember the names of anymore.

lol it was in Africa and even i did

WV beyond third world confirmed. ;_;
I was dirt poor foodstamps and welfare after the divorce too so we didn't even have a ride. Had to do odd jobs for neighbors for them long grocery store rides otherwise we'd have probably tried to hit up the mall or something once we had a license. Course we wouldn't have had cash for games so it would've been moot I guess.

I grabbed, once I was free of the trailer, every fighting game I could find. I loved the genre. Didn't have any help though learning it in those days. I was AOL discs for free internet and the only vids you could get on dial up were all day 5 min downloads from like consumptionjunction or ebaumsworld back in those days. Youtube hadn't kicked in yet and the only high speed internet was an all day busride away at Marshall University in 2000.

I'm happier now though. Finally make a decent living. Got the training needed to understand and enjoy fighting games the way I always wanted and the training and access to tutorials needed to make one. It aint a perfect life but I've made it now so its all good. Would love to have an Xmen Children of the Atom cab nearby though. I'd hit that shit for nostalgia so hard.

I guess you now know the reasons why I love the genre in its entirety so hard and always try to focus on the good stuff to share. Took a lifetime to finally be able to enjoy it so I'm not about to focus on the negatives in any game for too long. Just happy to be here.

Numb

Third world arcade is still third world. Behind by a decade in games. We got SFII in 2001 i believe *cough*
Even if 5 Kenyan shillings is cheap(around 0.05 USD) that's actually way too much for a single arcade game. Console was double if you wanted to play there for some reason.
So at the end of the day everyone spent way more time hovering over machines and never playing. When you got good is when you start having fun lol

shaowebb

Third world arcade is still third world. Behind by a decade in games. We got SFII in 2001 i believe *cough*
Even if 5 Kenyan shillings is cheap(around 0.05 USD) that's actually way too much for a single arcade game. Console was double if you wanted to play there for some reason.
So at the end of the day everyone spent way more time hovering over machines and never playing. When you got good is when you start having fun lol

Yeah I know thats how I would've been too. I'd have just hovered too poor to play if there was access to one and watched attract mode like I did at Maloneys. If I did get to play it would've been deadly serious time for me. No lose no matter what. I'd have tried to learn and master anything and study before playing because if I lost a quarter that would've been my entire run at a machine lol.

I did at one small point in life have a grandfather with a corner store that went under for extending credit to too many poor folks. He had an arcade machine of Super Offroad for a very brief period I got to play a few times. It got replaced for SF1 and hoo boy was that a turd. All this probably went down in the brief span of maybe two months when I was like 10. The latter title I think had the whole deadly serious about losing my quarter moment to it. Its hard to remember.

Numb

Yeah I know thats how I would've been too. I'd have just hovered too poor to play if there was access to one and watched attract mode like I did at Maloneys. If I did get to play it would've been deadly serious time for me. No lose no matter what. I'd have tried to learn and master anything and study before playing because if I lost a quarter that would've been my entire run at a machine lol.

I did at one small point in life have a grandfather with a corner store that went under for extending credit to too many poor folks. He had an arcade machine of Super Offroad for a very brief period I got to play a few times. It got replaced for SF1 and hoo boy was that a turd. All this probably went down in the brief span of maybe two months when I was like 10. The latter title I think had the whole deadly serious about losing my quarter moment to it. Its hard to remember.

Your grandfather sounds dope. The only time our owner was nice was when a new machine was brought in and he wanted to test it and we played for free. But it was random when they'd show up. One good thing about arcade is that there will always be someone who wants a piece of you no matter how good you get so you never fear not having someone to play. The arcade games was the place till console soccer games happened but that's a story for another day

shaowebb

Your grandfather sounds dope. The only time our owner was nice was a new machine was brought in and he wanted to test it and we played for free. But it was random when they'd show up. One good thing about arcade is that there will always be someone who wants a piece of you no matter how good you get so you never fear not having someone to play. The arcade games was the place till console soccer games happened but that's a story for another day

Yeah, he was cool. Wish he'd have had the arcade stuff longer and had never ditched off road for SF1. Off Road was hard to lose at so if I got a quarter that summer I could play forever. I'd like to buy a Jamma 4 and setup an arcade section in my home and have the arcade I always wanted.

Honestly considering how major a thing shmups became for me after Castle Shikigami 2 and Jamestown I probably would've been all over a shoot em up if he had gotten a good one like Super Star Soldier, Fantasy Zone, or Pro Gear. I adore those.

Looking back to my brief period in California living in Modesto I keep wondering why in the hell I ever came back. I could've left my family and found room mates out there and had a decent shot at life. Definitely wouldn't have ended up in a power plant. I loved city life. I'll pay off some of my stuff over the next few years and then I'm probably selling my home in WV to get the hell out honestly. I'm seriously looking over Atlanta, a City about 30 min from Chicago and Gallopin Ghost Arcade and California in general at the moment. The Chicago one would be dope. The arcades are there, a TVC scene exists, NRS and Iron Galaxy have studios there so if I went and got my portfolio together I may even be able to flip careers again someday towards something near what I love.

Numb

Sounds like a fun place to move to
RIP arcades in general pouring40.jpg

I was never smart enough for shmups lol

kingbean

Not sure if this is the right place...

I'm looking for some folks to play with casually. I love fighting games but I don't take them overly serious. Maybe it's because I'm barely better than shit tier. If anyone wants to mash out some matches in various different games my Steam account name and PSN name is Siggh88

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Not sure if this is the right place...

I'm looking for some folks to play with casually. I love fighting games but I don't take them overly serious. Maybe it's because I'm barely better than shit tier. If anyone wants to mash out some matches in various different games my Steam account name and PSN name is Siggh88

Play me in ultra. I am pretty average.

Grakl

Sounds like a fun place to move to
RIP arcades in general pouring40.jpg

I was never smart enough for shmups lol
Barcade opened up here in Boston, only have Marvel Super Heroes and MK2 but it's p fun

Also no shmups I think (why???)

Numb

Barcade opened up here in Boston, only have Marvel Super Heroes and MK2 but it's p fun

Also no shmups I think (why???)

I like shmups
But i am terrible at them
With a capital T

I don't know how many times i bought ikaruga

Made all my FGC plans for the year tonight. Provided I hold my job down for the year, I've got something big on most months :D

I'm tossing up returning to Dreamhack Winter this year. I will make a decision in a few months once I'm sure I can place and finally redeem myself.

stn

Hey all, wondering if you can do me a favor. Can you please sign this petition? Its to bring back a remastered version of SFxT. Please consider taking a moment to sign, if anything because this is GAF and I'm asking nicely lol. :)

Top Bottom