• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

notworksafe

the year after New Mexico ran AOF, EVO had an art show as well. i see you, wizard.

i still think the charity drive is a good idea though. competition is a good thing, in case y'all lapsed marvel players forgot that after years of only watching streams.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
They aren't doing what companies and major corporations aren't already doing. It doesn't matter to the little people in the grand scheme of things.

Seems like Perfect Legend just recovered from his Sonic Fox beating and is now calling him out again. EVO hype building.

Dahbomb

They aren't doing what companies and major corporations aren't already doing. It doesn't matter to the little people in the grand scheme of things.

Seems like Perfect Legend just recovered from his Sonic Fox beating and is now calling him out again. EVO hype building.
...... WHY???

competition is a good thing, in case y'all lapsed marvel players forgot that after years of only watching streams.
They should have had a Marvel vs Pokken vs KI community tournament where they have a massive tournament with representatives from each side. They play 13 different games and whichever community's representative won the most games were allowed to be put into EVO. All proceeds of the event go to charity.

Then it's about actual competition.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Whatever his reason you can't call someone out who basically own the rights to your ass for the last two years or so.

Shouta

why don't you abuse your mod powers Shouta and threaten MarkMan and Mr. Wiz to spill the beans

It might be because I'm tired but I can't tell if you're serious or joking. lol

...... WHY???

They should have had a Marvel vs Pokken vs KI community tournament where they have a massive tournament with representatives from each side. They play 13 different games and whichever community's representative won the most games were allowed to be put into EVO. All proceeds of the event go to charity.

Then it's about actual competition.

So basically a mystery tournament for it. That would be pretty enjoyable, heh.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
He's basically calling everybody out for when Injustice 2 comes out. But calling out Sonic and saying he's only winning because of his characters is really dumb.

notworksafe

looks like the president finally caught on to wizard's trickery. my predictions are coming true!

hkSfY8V.gif

Beckx

PerfectLegend is going to lose at EVO and tweet SEE YOU IN EVO!

he's literally only in it for 10 seconds, so don't expect much.

Tiger Mask W is still worth watching for a corny anime WRESTLING IS REAL type of guilty pleasure. The second season has been kinda lacking direction so far though.

yo Kalamari i was wrong, episode 17 actually gives Omega a role (but the episode is awful like most of second two)

also apparently rumors of his departure from Japan were premature, yay!

shaowebb

Coucho Takaya at Examu on twitter was recently asking about character redesigns to try to appeal to the west more. Examu went in hard for the market of anime girl fandoms in japan when they first made the game. They seemed to have hoped to be picked up for anime but the most they got was an old 2 vol manga deal and thats all. It was a smart money concept in japan to go for that had good success but not quite enough to reach their other goals.

Thing is the legal age of consent in japan is younger than here so their teen popstars all look like kids instead of the 18 to 21 year old hollywood marketed types the west had. Plus we dont have a generation where anime girl characters were super popular so the west doesn't see these designs as cute or adorable at all. We grew up with stranger danger and PSA's and a lot of fear for children where they grew up with moe being the equivalent of being a fan of Shirley Temple like during WW2 instead of how over here being older and watching something with a cutesy child animated character would just raise red flags that you were a creeper.

Arcana Heart is a fantastic game that was designed for its region in a style that was supposed to make money and get a lot of merchandise and tie ins. It did alright but its got insanely huge cultural issues crossing borders.

It is what it is. I play every fighting game. Arcana Heart's homing cancel systems and equippable arcanas are some of the absolute best mechanics ever made in the genre. Its just got an anchor tying it down where its got an aesthetic that can never stay perceived as cute and innocent outside of its own country of origin. Too bad they didn't go DBZ with their aesthetic choice. It would've blown up huge in foreign markets with its gameplay because thats what playing AH feels like...a DBZ fight with tons of fast paced movement and crazy huge attacks and combos.

shaowebb

I honestly had hoped that Marvel 4 would go the arcana route and make it so you could equip an entire characters worth of moves onto any dude in the roster with its infinity stones. Still do honestly.

Imagine if you could equip something like this to a character.
sy8X4Wb.png

• Barijyaku-pretty much focus attacks
  • Iwado- you get a point of armor during your dash.
  • Kaname Ishi- gives you iceman's boulder attack
  • Kaichimon- gives you Jin's giant robo fist from MVC2 as a special at any time
  • Kaichimon Sakkido- gives you a bigger version of the Jin fist and its air ok
  • Kaitenpu Mekkijin- summons a stomp equivalent to SonSon's MVC2 giant staff super
  • Arcana Blaze-Giant uppercut from the floor thats air unblockable and guard crushes
  • Extend Force (x-factor like boost move)-gives you Colossus' MVC2 hyper armor state

Thats just one of 24 different arcana in AH. If I could attach shit like that to any character in MVCI I would fucking flip. Ironfist with armored dashes, focus attacks, and giant normals? Fuck yeah!

Plus some arcana would give you teleports, stands, poison normals, extra air actions, beams, more air obstructive orbs than Modok...its fucking brilliant. All at the balancing factor of a health/damage modifier to your character. If MVCI infinity stones have this it'd be sooooooooo fucking deep.

Dahbomb

They aren't going for deep with Marvel Infinite otherwise they would not have removed 3v3 AND assists. If they wanted to go for layered depth they would have kept that, added more stuff like custom assist and then added ANOTHER layer of customization like 3 H&H cards per character.

Numb

They aren't going for deep with Marvel Infinite otherwise they would not have removed 3v3 AND assists. If they wanted to go for layered depth they would have kept that, added more stuff like custom assist and then added ANOTHER layer of customization like 3 H&H cards per character.
I'm more ok with 2v2 compared to removing assists. How and why?
Still thinking they'll return somehow

Dahbomb

Maybe the Soul gem allows you to use a character as an assist as the passive bonus. I seriously doubt it but that would be a cool way to put it in the game without forcing assists selection on everyone.

shaowebb

Agreed. Select HH cards with or without a base character stat modifier like the way arcanas do it to balance some tools would've been great. Assists above all else should not have been dropped. Their are ways to balance a tool you fear shoehorns team building rather than removing it and not bothering to try. I've said it dozens of times. You want 2v2 with assists without forcing certain team pairings? Give each character an assist move and then have a selectable assist that anyone can choose so folks can choose any team they want. So long as the assist has its own health bar and locks out if punished enough on the universal assist it'd work. That way you have one assist for team synergy strats and another to avoid shoehorn potential but with balancing factors similar to personas in P4A that keep it from being unpunishably unfair with real consequences for bad usage.
I'm more ok with 2v2 compared to removing assists. How and why?
Still thinking they'll return somehow
Also agreed. 2v2 is fine. Many folks only really got real good with 2 of their cast anyhow and one less character means you don't have to make damage so high in order to cut down on timer scams. Regardless of whether you go 2v2 or just say fuck it and let 3v3 rock (because honestly its fine to have more characters) they should've kept assists.

I still think one of the gems will grant an "assist" in the form of an MKX Johnny Cage Stunt Double.

Like, you're playing Ryu and you suddenly summon a shadow Ryu that throws a hadoken, while you're free to move in front of it.

Numb

Agreed. Select HH cards with or without a base character stat modifier like the way arcanas do it to balance some tools would've been great. Assists above all else should not have been dropped. Their are ways to balance a tool you fear shoehorns team building rather than removing it and not bothering to try. I've said it dozens of times. You want 2v2 with assists without forcing certain team pairings? Give each character an assist move and then have a selectable assist that anyone can choose that has its own health bar and locks out if punished enough. That way you have one assist for team synergy strats and another to avoid shoehorn potential but with balancing factors similar to personas in P4A that keep it from being unpunishably unfair with real consequences for bad usage.

Also agreed. 2v2 is fine. Many folks only really got real good with 2 of their cast anyhow and one less character means you don't have to make damage so high in order to cut down on timer scams. Regardless of whether you go 2v2 or just say fuck it and let 3v3 rock (because honestly its fine to have more characters) they should've kept assists.
Having 2 guys only lessens the assist potential even if they had it
But if the game was still 3v3 but removed assists? Fuckery right there
ok with having just 2 cos I suck :_:

shaowebb

Swamp Thing unveiled for Injustice 2. Ultradavid would be happy.

This dude looks super cool in his animations.

• He has noob saibot style clones on stuff
  • he has kotal kahn size normals with his club
  • has both aa and standing vine grabs like scorpion or something
  • has a low projectile with kickable log
  • has a nice GTFO branch explosion
  • looks like his strings will have good range with vines, clones and clubs
  • full screen grab with a clone looks shenanigan as fuck.
  • has a move to push you the hell out with a branch shove.
  • Grab super?

We gots ourselves a mid to long range grappler folks! Looking forward to the resets.
Having 2 guys only lessens the assist potential even if they had it
But if the game was still 3v3 but removed assists? Fuckery right there
ok with having just 2 cos I suck :_:

Reread my post. I suggested if you went 2 guys still let both of em have a second assist to mitigate that worry. It'd be like Frank West+ Wolverine + a universal assist both could use. Frank would have berzerker barrage assist, Wolverine would have shopping cart, and both could use the universal assist of ...I dunno Cyclops beams or something on top of that. If Cyke got hit enough he'd lock out same as if you got your assist bodied as a 3rd playable partner.

If I was goin 3v3 to 2v2 with Marvel its how I'd have done it so I wouldn't have lost the 2 assist team building strats.

shaowebb

Yup. Its fucked up but true. Its why our teenage girl characters in the west look older like Brittney Spears in the 90s age and why theirs always look like Yuri from KOF in a school uniform. TMI but it pretty much spells out how big a cultural divide they have. Game is fantastic but it was incredibly japanese centric towards the waifu fandom and thats the culture they're from. Over there, that age group is the one you design your girl characters for if you are hoping to get them followed like the teen girl hearthrobs on tv, or girl hero anime loving crowds. The rest are like Shirley Temple adorable child side cast or older boob girl designs to round out the cast for that market they were in. NONE of those markets exist over here. It comes across as creepy and not innocent at all.

As stated it was obviously made hoping to get that big cash in following that it only seemed to make it halfway to pulling off. It trapped a good game in an aesthetic it couldn't grow past. They should just take it and do a different type of cast around its combat. They sorta did that with Daemon Bride. Redo Arcana Heart's roster as a "fight anime" sorta set of designs and it'd likely do well and have more appeal. It'd be hard to have less.

EDIT: Personally I wish the AH game system would go to a monster themed cast like Darkstalkers. Always a ton of potential for crazy looking attacks with inhuman characters.

FACE

Banned
Coucho Takaya at Examu on twitter was recently asking about character redesigns to try to appeal to the west more. Examu went in hard for the market of anime girl fandoms in japan when they first made the game. They seemed to have hoped to be picked up for anime but the most they got was an old 2 vol manga deal and thats all. It was a smart money concept in japan to go for that had good success but not quite enough to reach their other goals.

They shouldn't, people are just gonna look for another excuse not to play.

Top Bottom