• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the PS4 surpassed the previous three consoles in terms of quality? (Answer: no.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Banned
Playstation 1 hit a stride only consoles like NES, SNES and DS have hit.

PS2 is probably a slightly lower quality, just because there was less unique titles, more sequels, things started to standardize and we lost some aspirations for epic games the hold huge worlds for more linear games. This is in line with the PS4 right now, so I'd say these are similar.

Another big point to make is PS2 was a more western friendly console in terms of library, where PS1's competitor was the N64, a western focused console up there with the XBox (outside of internally made Nintendo of japan games) PS2 also had heavy Japanese support which PS4 is definitely starting to see with things like Nioh, Persona 5 and Nier.

It will be interesting to me to see how Switch effects PS4's japanese support, I assume since these development platforms are so similar, smaller japanese games will start being made that release on both platfroms, so that japanese developers can hit a wider home audience (handhelds) while pushing their titles west like in the PS2 era. PS4 might heavily benefit from the Switch in this way, but we will have to wait and see how they coexist.

There will never be another console with the diversity and sheer volume of games that the PS2/Xbox/GC had.

I see statements like these a lot... They completely ignore indie development.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
PS1, yeah, PS2 and PS3? No. PS4 doesn't have its own TLOU, Journey, or GOW3. Not yet anyway.

Varg

Banned
The sheer quality of experiences I had alone with the ps1 and seeing comments like the OP just makes me feel really old .

I think games are just in general getting better. I just beat dishonored 2 which I am currently selling in order to buy Horizon Zero Dawn. Almost everything I have played on ps4 had great gameplay, good ideas (titanfall 2), and good grfx. The devs get what we want and have managed to develop something close to the ideals Nintendo puts forth, but with the next gen graphical push we also want. It's a good time to be alive, but also speaking frankly games are somewhat stagnating in the awesome idea loop (For Honor) which while better than their forebears we lack that crazy something (Minecraft) that made last gen special.

PS1 had 2400 physical games while PS2 had 3800 physical games. Some games were shovelware, but at the end of the day the sheer volume of high quality games on both systems sold these like hot cakes. PS4 will probably touch PS3 in terms of quality by 2020 the war things are looking.

mkvl

Neo Member
Not even close for me but it will reach the PS3 and maybe touch PS1. PS2 is on another level to be honest.

... dude.................

It's still the worst. EASILY There is nothing more to say.

PS1, yeah, PS2 and PS3? No. PS4 doesn't have its own TLOU, Journey, or GOW3. Not yet anyway.
What? PS1 is ahead of PS3 and we won't even talk about 4 being close.. Do you even realize where the best Twisted Metals, wipeouts, MGS and Tomb Raiders are? I won't continue on but games were made quicker and just a ton of amazing stuff on ps1. TLOU, Journey are decent games but they aren't the best games on PS3 even.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
mjlol.png
mjlol.png
mjlol.png

GodofWine

PS2 was really something special, but the PS4 is such a nicely designed little machine, and Sony is doing everything correct with it too, so yea, its right there.

I don't even feel like the PS4 is showing much age at all yet, as 1st party's are still pushing it, and "Indie PC Ports" are getting better and better.

Great generation by sony, I'd love for it to last until Xmas 2019.

By the end of the year, PS4 will probably surpass PS3 in terms of games library. Most good titles are getting ports anyway.

But compared to PS1 and PS2?? A big fat nope.

dubq

edit: Though I would say dl-gifting is still one feature I crave.
This. Also, in the same vein, the fact that I simply can't buy someone money for their PSN account virtually and have to do it via a physical card is kind of sad and archaic.

MaxSnake1

Neo Member
No, regarding the games (quantity\quality) I think it still behind the PS3 but in this year and the next I say it will surpass the PS3 but the PS1\PS2 era still very far away, although never say never.

BigDug13

It takes longer to make games now. It's basically impossible for a newer console to surpass the output of consoles past.

martino

I have to say, given the amount of incredible games we have seen so far this year alone (Gravity Rush, Nioh and Horizon in a few short weeks), has this generation got the PS1/2 beaten for sheer quality? When you throw in multi platform games too, is it fair to say that this is the greatest PlayStation ever? If not now, God of War and TLOU2 on the way as well as FF7 Remake, along with Days Gone if that turns out to be a great game too, have Sony actually managed to live up to the hype or even surpass what was expected at launch?

title and op are two different things.
I agree with op, ps4 has far surpass what was expected at launch.
I disagree with the title.we are far from the amount and quality you can only find on ps1/2 (and i doubt it will happen sometime,times have changed)

Rezae

It's not even remotely close to PS1 or PS2. Many of those games haven't aged the best, but IN THEIR TIME, the consistent quality (and quantity) of titles was immense.

For me personally, I put PS1 before PS2. As someone who had spending money during that gen, I could not keep up, at all. Really a magical time. PS2 built on that (and will forever have the distinction of most killer holiday 2 line-up).

With all that said, PS4 is in a great place right now.

Lister

Banned
The OS convenience is the best in console history.
As someone who has gamed on both consoles & PC's for a long time it has always been a pain how feature-less and behind consoles have been. And this ultimately affected the games of the previous generations, most noteworthy the PS2 generation were PC online was mature & tech like programmable shaders a thing (hence an opportunity for Xbox to enter with some of these elements).

The PS4 is for me when consoles surpassed PC gaming with Netflix-like effortless access to all the unified service-features I would want. System handles everything in a neat Async fashion On or Off.

edit: Though I would say dl-gifting is still one feature I crave.

Lol, the only thing the PS4 does better than a modern gaming PC is long load times. Tried playing the Witcher 3 ona buddy's PS4 over the long weekend and I couldn't believe being stuck behind that load screen for well over a minute.

As for library, I think it has the potential to be better than any console that came before but it's not there yet.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Not even close? Its not even in the same league as PS2 and PS1 in terms of library

Maxim726X

Since my favorite genre, the RPG, is basically dead in Japan as we know it... I can't say that this is the best Sony generation. Yet.

The golden years of Squaresoft make it PS1 for me, with PS2 lagging ever-so-slightly behind.

PS2 has 58 games with a Metascore of 90 or above.

PS4 has 15.

This is a flawed argument... I saw an article here a few weeks ago that basically proved how much more stringent reviewers are today as opposed to previous generations. It has to be a masterpiece to get above a 90 in today's climate.

Freddo

No.

It would help if the PS4 could play PS1 games from the PS Store like the PSP/Vita/PSTV/PS3 can though, and had more PS2 games like Suikoden 3-5 and Shadow Hearts 1&2.

Santar

I swear people just get more and more caught up in hype of stuff that happens here and now.
The amount of threads with "is insert name of well received recently released game here the best ever made" and the like is just baffling.

It's like they lack the ability to see past their nose whenever something they really like appears.
The ps1 and ps2 have classic enormous game libraries, just because the ps4 got a bunch of good games early this year doesn't make it the best ever. Learn to get a little perspective on things.

Memento

Still not of course. But we are in early 2017, PS4 is going to live until 2020 at least. Lets see how it ends up.

Also considering games like Shadowfall, Infamous, LBP3 are sort of not that great honestly.

Third party made up for it a bit but still it's just lacking so hard. It has about 10 to 15 great to really outstanding titles and I don't even really consider Tomb Raider, TLOU as that great honestly. They are going to be considered great as a whole from the base though and I get that.

But so many developers and games are missing it's nearly impossible for it to ever be better than PS1/PS2 in most cases.

At least ps3 had Ridge Racer, HOTD and even Silent Hill other similar titles that PS4 isn't getting.

If PS4 ends up getting Daytona and Japan keeps hitting it out of the park then maybe PS4 will surpass it. Right now, it's just a solid no.

Floody

Has anyone got the picture of I think it was 8 games that were all PS2 exclusive and releasing close to each other. I think it had MGS 2, a GTA and a Team Ico game in it. It always perfectly sums up how good the PS2's library was.

mindsale

To those replies about less strict review standards a decade and a half ago - I completely agree. Does it offset the metric somewhat that now there is an influx of digital games? Are there more games out for PS4 than the PS2 at this point in its lifespan?

Roxkis_ii

My console history: SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, and PS4.

I don't know if the PS4 is my favorite console of all time, but it's number 2 or 3.

dugdug

Banned
Nothing on PS4 is as awesome and fresh as Demon's Souls was, exciting as the first Uncharted was, or as pitch-perfect as The Last of Us was.

We have some great games on PS4, no doubt, but, it still has a ways to go to beat the PS3 for me. I honestly don't know if it's possible.

Aleh

I'm not really an expert on the newer ones but I find it impossible for another PlayStation to ever beat the PS1. It's already weird for me to see people think the PS2 was better, but the decline that started from the PS3 (imo!) is too evident

To those replies about less strict review standards a decade and a half ago - I completely agree. Does it offset the metric somewhat that now there is an influx of digital games? Are there more games out for PS4 than the PS2 at this point in its lifespan?

I love many kinds of games but these digital games are worse and worse honestly. A lot of them I just can't seem to get into. Not even as solid as last gens d/l titles like Shatter.re

There are a lot of them though but I wish they would stop at least half of them and try to go for higher quality games

Jawmuncher

At this current point it's still behind PS2 and PS1 if you ask me.
There's good games sure, but we're missing a lot of ground breaking games. Which is a big measurement for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom