• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions closed beta starts on April 6

nowarning

I played some more last night, it really does scratch that old school itch.

I did pretty well but in some games I was absolutely getting my shit pushed in, one guy just kept hitting me dead on with rockets like there was no tomorrow, I ended up going 4/22 which is the worst I've done by far.

I played some more last night, it really does scratch that old school itch.

I did pretty well but in some games I was absolutely getting my shit pushed in, one guy just kept hitting me dead on with rockets like there was no tomorrow, I ended up going 4/22 which is the worst I've done by far.

I've only played four games. TDM. Each was my time of people between levels 1 - 5. Other team dudes with levels in the 20s. :(

Two things I'll mention that I'm totally not breaking NDA about because I totally saw it from preview videos out there and not from my personal experience I swear you guys, ahem, but I don't like the health differences between the characters -- change their armour values if need be but tallying 100 damage should kill across the board (barring megahealth), and the lightning gun and nailgun both being represented as blue (one light, one dark) is something that's a bit awkward for me to differentiate in the blur of things.

That aside, this is so much fun. Might be the thing to actually motivate me to overhaul my PC for assuming they don't bungle the launch.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Two things I'll mention that I'm totally not breaking NDA about because I totally saw it from preview videos out there and not from my personal experience I swear you guys, ahem, but I don't like the health differences between the characters -- change their armour values if need be but tallying 100 damage should kill across the board (barring megahealth), and the lightning gun and nailgun both being represented as blue (one light, one dark) is something that's a bit awkward for me to differentiate in the blur of things.

That aside, this is so much fun. Might be the thing to actually motivate me to overhaul my PC for assuming they don't bungle the launch.

i agree completely, every character should have equal max health. at most, tankier characters can spawn with more armor. it feels like nyx is basically railable at any time without full stack. :p

once you learn the weapon spawns on the maps the lighting/nailgun color problem goes away, but yeah it is a pretty silly decision.

accx

Man the game feels like shit. Granted it might be somewhat related to my computer specs (I had the same issue with doom), But it also feels "clunky" and "bulky". Not sure how to describe it. The movement speed are there, sure, but it handles weird.

Also, whoever thought it was a good idea to change the rocket launcher to have a ramp up in speed + decreased splash damage should be fired. Changing one of the corner stone weapons that people have been used to for what, the past 20 years or so is just not okay.
I get it, things evolve, and that's fine. Not sure this was the right way to go though.
I also felt the maps where cluttered... Not feeling this at all.

Man the game feels like shit. Granted it might be somewhat related to my computer specs (I had the same issue with doom), But it also feels "clunky" and "bulky". Not sure how to describe it. The movement speed are there, sure, but it handles weird.

Also, whoever thought it was a good idea to change the rocket launcher to have a ramp up in speed + decreased splash damage should be fired. Changing one of the corner stone weapons that people have been used to for what, the past 20 years or so is just not okay.
I get it, things evolve, and that's fine. Not sure this was the right way to go though.
I also felt the maps where cluttered... Not feeling this at all.

Shame on NDA, no confidence. I have good things to say but that highlight is a big one.

PaulloDEC

The Bethesda Launcher isn't covered by NDA, right? Because holy shit, what a piece of irredeemable garbage. I'm currently downloading the game for I think the fifth time now because seemingly any minor event, from network glitches to restarting your computer erases all previous download progress.

Even crazier, I finally got the game installed earlier today and played a few rounds, but when I came home just now (having turned my computer off while I was gone) the game is now magically not installed anymore.

Just unbelieveable. Someone needs to give custody of Quake Champions to Steam, because the Bethesda Launcher is just a dreadful parent.

bee

i've played a LOT of this now, over level 30, loving it so far and can't say i agree with many of the criticisms in this thread, the two i do agree with are the time taken between rounds was way too long before this latest beta now it's like half the time so it's semi fixed and the non existent match making, i mean it's only closed beta and i think the retail game will have elo based matchmaking? but going 38-0 is as boring as losing 4-20 or whatever

rocket launcher is fine, different starting hp/armour is fine

Shifty

Wonder if I'll actually be able to get past the menu on this round of the beta.

Making me stare at the F2P microtransaction stuff while fruitlessly queueing is a real strong way to sour a game.

Sony

Nintendo
I used to play Arena shooters quite a lot back in the day. Hope I can get in and share my thoughts.

Fugu

I used to play Arena shooters quite a lot back in the day. Hope I can get in and share my thoughts.
I feel the same way. I played Quake Live every day up until very recently and, while I like Overwatch, it's hardly a replacement.

The Flash

Banned
Quick thoughts from someone who's never played a Quake game till now.
I have to say that I'm really enjoying it so far. I missed the Quake craze back in the day and was pretty much exclusively a Nintendo/Xbox player until a couple of months ago. This game has brought back some serious nostalgia from when my friends and I would play Hang Em High on LAN in Halo CE and for that I am grateful since the newer Halos have been kinda "eh" for me multiplayer wise. Love the speed, love guns, and I'm liking the maps as well. Kinda indifferent to the whole loot box system since like every game has one now. Would've preferred things to just be locked by player level but oh well. Overall I'm very impressed and I will not only continue to play the beta but also the full game when it releases. Cheers to the devs from a new fan.

rainz

Dont know if this violates nda but.. Damn this is good. They actually nailed it. Im kinda in shock haha.

Also for anyone who gets an out of memory error (even though yr not), make sure you have a page file turned on on the drive its installed. Even with SSD yeah. Its a bug i believe but it needs a page file atm.

NIN90

I heard from a friend the movement is quite sluggish compared to classic Quake games, is this accurate?

Not at all. Default movement is Q2/Q3 style strafejumping. Some champions even have different movement physics like CPMA or Q4 style crouchsliding.
Feels as respsonsive as QL to me.

KingKong

I dont want to just dismiss the press articles but its hard not to when they dont even mention strafe jumping and the different movement passive abilities. Ok sure, you dont have to know how to do anarki's bunnyhop but its clearly a huge part of the game

I dont want to just dismiss the press articles but its hard not to when they dont even mention strafe jumping and the different movement passive abilities. Ok sure, you dont have to know how to do anarki's bunnyhop but its clearly a huge part of the game

Didn't play Anarki, because he looked like an annoying tiny dude. Chose Scalebearer and then rented Sorlag.

iddqd

I'm not sure how much detail we are allowed here, but I really liked it as well.
I put uncounted amounts of hours into QW and Q3 and this so far is absolutely more of that.

The Giant Bomb quick look kept harking back to Quake Live but sometimes its not only about the game but also about the community.

Finding "normal" skilled matches in Quake Live was really tough. Everytime I went back it was either someone who would destroy me (rail, rail, rail) or had no clue how to play (ala GB Brad).

If anything, Quake Champions was fun because of a more medium skill base in the players for me.

I'm not sure how much detail we are allowed here, but I really liked it as well.
I put uncounted amounts of hours into QW and Q3 and this so far is absolutely more of that.

The Giant Bomb quick look kept harking back to Quake Live but sometimes its not only about the game but also about the community.

Finding "normal" skilled matches in Quake Live was really tough. Everytime I went back it was either someone who would destroy me (rail, rail, rail) or had no clue how to play (ala GB Brad).

If anything, Quake Champions was fun because of a more medium skill base in the players for me.

I believe the beta NDA for non-press drops tomorrow.

Hux1ey

Banned
Not at all. Default movement is Q2/Q3 style strafejumping. Some champions even have different movement physics like CPMA or Q4 style crouchsliding.
Feels as respsonsive as QL to me.

Good to know, thanks.

God watching these press videos where they don't even know how to strafe jump is painful.

I have a feeling many of them have never played Quake before, heck many of them probably don't even play shooters on PC.

Top Bottom