• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

J_Viper

"We're some kind of Criterion Collection movie."
2SFJtMz.jpg

Lmao. Pretty cool haul overall tho. Are those all first time watches for you? :whew:

Yup. Well mostly.

My English teacher in 12th grade played a bit of Polanski's Macbeth in class, but fast forwarded through all the violent and naughty bits. So it'll be my first uninterrupted viewing.

berzeli

Banned
Synapse posted JPGs. They haven't finished their restoration, let alone done any compression for their BD. They were only meant to compare timing anyway.
You're a joke.
Huh? I say in the post that the restoration is likely a work in progress and if they were interested in swaying people that those maybe weren't the best caps to post.

I'm not even trying to argue colour timing or the merits of the restoration (outside of black crush), I just find that level of macroblocking really distracting. They could just as easily have posted lossless caps directly from their digital master which would have resolved any compression issues.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing, I'm a joke for noticing the abundant macroblocking?

Ridley327

TBH, I feel like Suspiria is one of those films that is never going to look 100% right on digital because of the way it was made. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if prints struck back in 1977 from the same source could diverge from one another, and significantly in some areas of the film.

berzeli

Banned
Speaking of Italian films with controversial 4K remasters; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is getting another release. This time from Kino, wonder if they'll do any adjustments to the colours.

edit:
Sorry, I'll stop going on about Suspiria when it stops being amusing. That hasn't happened yet. If this keeps going on I might just have to buy a copy of the damned thing and watch it.
Torsten Kaiser, the guy responsible for the restoration which is the basis for the Italian blu-ray, apparently posted pictures of the Technicolor I.B. tech print he used as a reference. That's a pretty solid mic drop.

Apparently the new Heat 4K remaster is a big let down. Bad encode, weird new color timing/gamma, DNR... :(

The color timing seems to bring it in line with what Mann did to the Thief Criterion release and the warmer saturation on The Insider's transfer from a few years ago. I haven't been keeping up with the nitty gritty on DNR/encoding, but the reviews seem solid.

The release is sourced from a new 4K remaster of Heat which was supervised by director Mann. I did some extensive comparisons between the original U.S. release from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and this new release and can confirm that there are indeed some very obvious discrepancies between the two. If you have a very large screen or a projector you will immediately notice improvements in terms of depth and fluidity. The difference is especially obvious during close-ups -- as virtually all of them have a much 'tighter' appearance now -- but during larger panoramic shots delineation is also superior. During a lot of the indoor footage the images also appear better balanced and smoother (not artificially repolished with digital tools). To be perfectly clear, the darker/indoor footage actually makes it quite clear that the master that was used to produce the release is of exceptionally high-quality because density is quite simply outstanding. Furthermore, the color grading is different, though I personally do not find the discrepancy to be substantial thus changing the film's intended atmosphere. During the daylight footage, for instance, it is often easy to tell that there is a shift towards slightly warmer nuances (see screencapture #24 and screencapture #3 from the review of the first release), but the new grading does not create the impression that there is an across-the-board alteration of color values. On the contrary, there are numerous segments where it is quite difficult to pinpoint the difference(s). There are also areas where it appears that the new grading enhances some of the grays and gray nuances, giving the film a slightly more prominent 'steely' appearance. Image stability is outstanding. The encoding is good, though there is still some room for small optimizations.

Might be another case of people freaking out over a few adjustments. I don't know how much better Heat can look tbh, the previous blu-ray release wasn't bad like some of those early blus were, and a lot of the scenes in it are pretty soft and low light already. Dante Spinotti seemed pretty happy with it during that retrospective panel last year. *shrug*

To keep the Suspiria shenanigans going (because how could we not):

The Italian blu-ray is up on caps-a-holic

Synapse have posted their own comparison pics after there being bit of a cat fight on the blu-ray.com forums.

And as always; there can be only one correct answer, disputes should be solved with a flintlock pistol duel, and this matters more than anything else in the world.

Haha, I always love reading those threads because of all of the ridiculousness spouted. The best is when someone claims to vividly remember the correct look for a film based off seeing the movie during its theatrical release around 30 years prior.

You're a joke.

Goddamn

Edit: on the topic of Suspiria, they should get the same people who restored The Red Shoes somehow involved with the restoration. Watching the Blu-ray on a good TV is a religious experience. I believe Scorsese had a hand in it if I'm not mistaken.

The color timing seems to bring it in line with what Mann did to the Thief Criterion release and the warmer saturation on The Insider's transfer from a few years ago. I haven't been keeping up with the nitty gritty on DNR/encoding, but the reviews seem solid.

Might be another case of people freaking out over a few adjustments. I don't know how much better Heat can look tbh, the previous blu-ray release wasn't bad like some of those early blus were, and a lot of the scenes in it are pretty soft and low light already. Dante Spinotti seemed pretty happy with it during that retrospective panel last year. *shrug*

thanks for the clarification. i would have loved for more Mann movies to get a Criterion release but I'm assuming this is a reliable seller for WB so they always gonna keep it close to the chest. buying that Heat one as soon as its out.

did you hear the news about Ferrari movie bro? it's soon to be a go with da gawd wolverine in the lead role.

gonna have to look into which Suspiria bluray I want to buy when the Synapse one is out. Provided I have a choice for R1 of course.

cj_iwakura

I didn't like anything but the performance in The Red Shoes, but my ex loved the movie for some reason. Especially how it ended. (Wound up getting her the Criterion as a gift.)

Haha, I always love reading those threads because of all of the ridiculousness spouted. The best is when someone claims to vividly remember the correct look for a film based off seeing the movie during its theatrical release around 30 years prior.

Hahaha this was all over the criterionforum when I was a member, people swearing blind that colour timing was off compared to theatrical screenings 20 years ago..... :lol

*crisis mode averting*

berzeli

Banned
The Ran remaster thread is a goddamn classic in that regard.
some dude over at blu-ray.com said:
So, we FINALLY get Ran in HD... and they **** up the colours. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely buying it (hell, I've already bought this film five or six times) but it's pretty sad. Hopefully someone will do a regrade - like KK650's splendid work on The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
same dude said:
I saw Ran at the Danish Film Institute yesterday. It was an original 35mm print and judging from the state it was in, it probably dated from the 80s. It was quite worn but fortunately the colours hadn't faded.

And I have to - reluctantly - admit that the new blu-ray is pretty close to what I saw yesterday, though I still think the BD has a bit too much of a greenish tint and it drags down the brightness of the image..

Shiv47

Hahaha this was all over the criterionforum when I was a member, people swearing blind that colour timing was off compared to theatrical screenings 20 years ago..... :lol
Oh man, I'm a member there as well, and the best I recall was someone claiming they recalled the specific aspect ratio of something they'd seen in the 1960s.

Ridley327

When are we gonna get a blu-ray release of Memories of Murder..? criterion plz.

The rights to the film (and a few others in desperate need of relinquishing) are in the hands of Palm Pictures, who I firmly believe doesn't actually exist in an operating capability anymore. Someone needs to tell the body that the brain is dead and get to buying their licenses up to get them out of DVD hell in the US.

omgkitty

The rights to the film (and a few others in desperate need of relinquishing) are in the hands of Palm Pictures, who I firmly believe doesn't actually exist in an operating capability anymore. Someone needs to tell the body that the brain is dead and get to buying their licenses up to get them out of DVD hell in the US.

Criterion really needs to get on the South Korean train. They have a whopping 2 films in the collection with Secret Sunshine and The Housemaid. South Korea has been one of the best countries for films in the last 25 years or so, and there's many titles Criterion could handle that haven't had a good release in the US.

Ridley327

Criterion really needs to get on the South Korean train. They have a whopping 2 films in the collection with Secret Sunshine and The Housemaid. South Korea has been one of the best countries for films in the last 25 years or so, and there's many titles Criterion could handle that haven't had a good release in the US.

Kino is kinda fucking up more, since they have the US rights to the Tartan catalog, and all they've done with them is put out a token Vengeance Trilogy box set, a remastered version of Oldboy a couple of years later, and the rest has been seen around the streaming services or keeping the old Tartan DVDs in print.

omgkitty

Kino is kinda fucking up more, since they have the US rights to the Tartan catalog, and all they've done with them is put out a token Vengeance Trilogy box set, a remastered version of Oldboy a couple of years later, and the rest has been seen around the streaming services or keeping the old Tartan DVDs in print.

Kino is more focused on releasing a bunch of mediocre movies most people have never heard of that I guess some group of people are buying. Not to say Kino doesn't have good releases, but there's a lot of crap in there too.

SeanC

Seriously. A Vengeance Trilogy or something at least from Criterion would be amazing. Or a box set of Kim Ki-Duk that seems right up Criterion's alley (and his US releases seem all over the map, then again I've only seen two of his movies which is why I want more releases).

The abhorrent treatment of Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance makes me weep, I love those movies so much, more people should have the chance to see them. *

* Oldboy did receive a large push considering its material the first time around, I'll give them that.

It would be nice to have some Hong Song-Soo films, although I know that will not happen for at least another 20+ years. Same with Kim Ki-Duk.

Importing gets annoying after awhile.

Fjordson

I finally watched my copy of A Touch of Zen. What an incredible movie.

Is there any info on a Dragon Inn Criterion? They're selling a poster on their website with artwork that basically looks like a blu-ray cover. And it's very similar to Touch of Zen's cover (both movies are directed by King Hu) but I haven't heard anything about an actual release. Kinda weird.

Guzim

I finally watched my copy of A Touch of Zen. What an incredible movie.

Is there any info on a Dragon Inn Criterion? They're selling a poster on their website with artwork that basically looks like a blu-ray cover. And it's very similar to Touch of Zen's cover (both movies are directed by King Hu) but I haven't heard anything about an actual release. Kinda weird.
I haven't heard anything since last year when there were screenings of Dragon Inn.

I got a few more Criterion Blu-Rays this week: Scanners, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and The Hidden Fortress.

I'm watching Scanners right now, and though I hear it's supposed to be a mess of a film, I'm loving it forty minutes in.

I really didn't vibe on Scanners. Probs my least favorite Cronenberg film. Still got some nice juicy goodness though. I wish Criterion got Shivers on deck, that's a great flick.

I really didn't vibe on Scanners. Probs my least favorite Cronenberg film. Still got some nice juicy goodness though. I wish Criterion got Shivers on deck, that's a great flick.

Yeah, I saw lot of stuff online saying it's one of his lesser films, but I loved it. Far from perfect though, especially the opening mall scene.

I would love to see another Bodyhorror piece from Cronenberg.
Sadly we will never get another one.

And that's why we must turn our gazes toward modern classics like Fant4stic.

berzeli

Banned
You know, I saw that and still decided to trust Wikipedia. Shame on me.

I am gonna get a free trial and watch this when I get home. Knowing this film, it will be taken down without warning and with no explanation.
Hmm, there actually is some conflicting info on this now that I dug around a bit more. BFI screenonline says 111 min, BBFC has it at 109 min, then again the BFI also had it at 109 min with their listing that I posted earlier.

Watch it and then confirm whether the "rape of Christ" scene is in it or not. The cuts that were made in 1971 are outlined here.

berzeli

Banned
The fact that it's streaming at all is nothing short of a miracle. WB has tried so hard to bury that film.
Yup. I do however think it is a bit shitty to exclaim that it's the longest cut when in fact it isn't.
Yeah, I'm just glad to get a chance to watch it again. I've only seen it once. Maybe one day we'll get a complete, Blu-ray release (yeah right).
Well, seeing how Warner allowed it for home viewing at all, you never know... (it's probably not happening)

Also, seriously, watch the trailer for Daughter of the Nile.
Wonder if it's another one of Nick Wrigley's. It does have some of his style.

Top Bottom