• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse |OT| Tokyo's Bad Day Is Too Sweet

D-Man

Mine said that too.

Then it was updated to be in New York. Delivering today.

Then a few hours later it was in New Jersey, with an updated delivery of tomorrow.

Now it's on my doorstep.

Strange.
Huh. That IS strange. Though you did give me some hope that it will actually show up today.

ar4757

I found these images:

I didn't know there was such nonsense war between SMT fans and Persona fans. Or they are just two stupid images created by the same guy who was bored.

PD: Shin Megami Tensei is infinite% better than Persona. And Persona's soundtrack is awful. ;-)

You've clearly never been on the subreddit then haha

They (occasionally me) just make Persona spinoff memes that are sometimes funny

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
How big is the ESHOP size, and what bonuses are unlocked from SMT IV exactly---and do I only get bonuses if I fully completed that game? I got far enough I feel like I'll get the basic gist of the plot, but never reached an ending.

Also a big issue with SMT IV for me was how unfocused it felt at times with me just sort of stumbling around Tokyo by the skin of my teeth, is this game a bit more structured? How easy is it to get the neutral ending here so I don't miss out on the most content?

LProtag

I'm also having a weird issue with my Amazon order. It says it should be here by the end of day today, but the last thing it says was that it was in New Jersey yesterday. I live in Connecticut.

I hope it updates.

DNAbro

I'm also having a weird issue with my Amazon order. It says it should be here by the end of day today, but the last thing it says was that it was in New Jersey yesterday. I live in Connecticut.

I hope it updates.

mine says shipping soon yet also arriving here today with no shipping info.

Producer

I like how there are speech bubbles next to NPCs who have something new to say. I always talked to smt4 npcs after important events.

LProtag

I feel like UPS is usually here way earlier in the day so I might be out of luck for today... lame.

I wonder if I should go to Gamestop, pick it up, and then return the Amazon copy to Gamestop whenever it shows up... feels scummy, but I really wanted to play the game today.

Soriku

Ultimate Luck

tumblr_inline_mlhbxmyNqx1qz4rgp.png

The most OP build of all.

PK Gaming

Bah I'd better hurry up and this get this soon

Ngl, playing this at the same as GAF was half of the reason why I loved the original so much

It´s a great game, I hope you guys enjoy it (played it back when it launched in Japan).

Though it is too bad that the US release doesn´t come in a box like Devil Survivor 2 BR did, it is just a standard white case and the pins separately, I just checked ebay.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
OK I need to finish IV tonight so I can start this. I've put it off for so long since that one Cell Phone challenge quest was ruining my life and never dropping them, but I'm past it finally and in Purgatorium.

Somehow I managed to get neutral path without trying to or following any kind of guide, which I saw was super rare, so go me. Wonder if I can finish it up tonight and have enough time to start with Apocalypse.

Kind of feel like going MAG again, don't really have enough experience with anything else. I at first was going with DEX in IV but realized the game rewarded MAG builds tremendously and quickly outfitted my Flynn and party with all MAG users with all elemental type skills. The game was just so easy to brute force weaknesses and just pound away at enemies that I never found a reason to have physical or balanced demons unless there was a particularly hard encounter where they had a weakness to melee or guns. And I pretty much never used buff or debuff abilities.

Might go for a high difficulty at the start to force myself to actually play the game properly this time around. I don't like exploiting things and ignoring large parts of a game, but I have no self control when it comes to it, though I also can't bring myself to ever lower the difficulty once I've started a game. So hopefully that helps balance those two things out.

For anyone who played the JP version how long is this? I was going to start DQ7 but hearing that its 80-100hours put me off on it. I remember IV took me 50 hours to reach the neutral ending

I had forgotten just how good the first game was in the graphics and music department. Ouuu this game looks and sounds so good also on my 3DS. But I need to finish Cold Steel II damnit.

Snagged the only copy at my local game stop. Gonna wait 'til I'm through with Dragon Quest VII. Can't take my hands off it, and that's saying a lot since I've be anticipating this game for quite some time.

So where the heck is the news report at the start getting those images from anyways? Did Flynn have a camera following him wherever we went in SMTIV that we didn't know about?

CazTGG

For anyone who played the JP version how long is this? I was going to start DQ7 but hearing that its 80-100hours put me off on it. I remember IV took me 50 hours to reach the neutral ending

My playtime clocked in at a little under 40 hours, though your mileage will vary depending on the various sidequests.

RDreamer

Picked this and Dragon Quest 7 up today.

No idea what to play first... also in the middle of my first Suikoden play through on my Vita, too.

Too many good RPGs to play!

Save import question.
Once you import once is that applied to all new games going forward?
Or do i have to redo the process each startup/NG?

I did a DEX build in IV to great effect. Debating whether to do that again or try a MAG build.

Same here. Loved the Dex Gun build I did. Thinking of doing MAG this time around. What's this LUCK build everyone is talking about? Do you still use magic? Is it just for maximum smirk/crit?

LProtag

Yep, UPS finally updated to say my package got delayed. Went out and bought it at Best Buy and I'll figure out what to do from there.

Same here. Loved the Dex Gun build I did. Thinking of doing MAG this time around. What's this LUCK build everyone is talking about? Do you still use magic? Is it just for maximum smirk/crit?
First time in SMTIV I just focused on Luck and Agility but my 2nd time I was more methodical (and extreme). 3 points of luck, 1 point of agility, and 1 point in strength, technique or magic, every level up. I used all the stat up tonics on myself for a little boost in the neglected stats.

I enjoyed it even though it's not as OP as the other builds seem to be. You get a lot of crits and status effects landing. I focused on multi-hit and hit-all physicals skills, weapons, and bullets, ideally ones with status ailments attached to maximize on my strengths.

People talk about cleaning up all trash encounters with one Megido with Mag builds. The Luck build could be a way to not have things be that overtly OP (but still giving you a fun of ton tricks to use). At least that was my impressions in SMTIV.

Just started over cause why not.

Is there a physical or gun holy attack in this game?

This game doesn't have Holy Dance in it so I'm not feeling a magic build.

Hikami

Didn't realize you could change the difficulty anytime. Might as well just play on War then, haven't got a game over yet on Conflict.
Got 40 app points just for using DDS.
Yeah got 40 as well. This feature is much better now that you can actually use the internet to receive/send cards. Never used it in SMT IV because it was streetpasses only, rarely get those here.

Producer

Didn't realize you could change the difficulty anytime. Might as well just play on War then, haven't got a game over yet on Conflict.

Yeah got 40 as well. This feature is much better now that you can actually use the internet to receive/send cards. Never used it in SMT IV because it was streetpasses only, rarely get those here.

Yeah, its a great change. Im liking a whole bunch of little additions/tweaks i've been noticing.

D-Man

Something tells me that my copy isn't getting here today. Ugh
Same here. Amazon told me to wait until the end of the day but I highly doubt it will show up out of nowhere. What a load of bull.

EDIT: holy shit the game just arrived. Never got a shipping notification but it's here. Color me surprised!

Yousefb

Never played any SMT titles but I'm extremely tempted to pick this up on my way from work. Although, I literally just got Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE last week and I'm enjoying it. I gotta control myself 0_0
Are they similar in any way?

Decided to kick this one to the front of the queue and just started. Already enthused about revisiting the SMTIV world after only a few minutes in.

brinstar

Never played any SMT titles but I'm extremely tempted to pick this up on my way from work. Although, I literally just got Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE last week and I'm enjoying it. I gotta control myself 0_0
Are they similar in any way?

Gameplay-wise, yes. Tonally, they are worlds apart.

Top Bottom