• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse |OT| Tokyo's Bad Day Is Too Sweet

mjc

Still playing through SMTIV...although I have no idea where I am since I stopped playing years ago. Totally lost.

Weiss

Banned
Got my copy today, will start after I finish Mass Effect 2 and get some work done.

I wish I didn't have friggin' total recall when it comes to spoilers.

Opa-Pa

Of course the store I pre ordered this in isn't getting the game until later this week... Lame. I'll see if I can get it somewhere else. I'm itching for more mainline SMT.

AyzOn

Neo Member
Is SMT, Persona or Persona, SMT?
Or arent they related?

Everything I know about it is from the GB Endurance Run and Wikipedia when I wanted to look up if there´s ever been a PC game.

DNAbro

Or arent they related?

Everything I know about it is from the GB Endurance Run and Wikipedia when I wanted to look up if there´s ever been a PC game.

Persona came from SMT. Gameplay is kind of comparable when it is about buffing/debuffing/exploiting weakness but Persona is quite a different experience. I think there was an mmo on PC.

Or arent they related?

SMT is the parent of every other branch. Persona is just one of those branches.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up my copy yesterday, I'm really enjoying the game so far. I already beat the first major boss. The first new dungeon was better than most of the dungeons in IV.

Lynx_7

Persona came from SMT. Gameplay is kind of comparable when it is about buffing/debuffing/exploiting weakness but Persona is quite a different experience. I think there was an mmo on PC.
The servers are closed though, right? Always wanted to give it a try but I guess that's not possible now.

Got my copy, going with a gun build for the first time, fun times ahead. I have like zero time to actually play it though because fuck college.

UCBooties

I thought I was going to have to cancel my copy but Amazon told me it was too late. Then the payment failed so I thought, ok, canceled anyway? Then I checked, nope, payment succeeded, shipping now.

So I'm getting it tomorrow?

Yay?

Yay

MegaMelon

Was starting up IV again and was spoiled about how
the two other samurai turn into monsters
and I think I'll just put it down and head right into this one. The question is now whether I want to spoil everything story-wise so I'm all caught up going into this game.

That's not really a huge spoiler. It's a neat thing to see but it isn't really significant in terms of whether you've had the plot ruined for you. I'd recommend you keep on going.

Can anyone give me an hours to Streetpass / Spotpass / DLC purchase unlock ? I remember DLC was pretty early in IV but Streetpass/ Spotpass wasn't until you got to Tokyo which was like ~10 hours or so in.

MegaMelon

Re: Europe release date

The latest trailer for us said coming winter 2016. Wouldn't that make December the only possible release? I mean who says winter 2016 when they mean early 2017.

Beckx

Still playing through SMTIV...although I have no idea where I am since I stopped playing years ago. Totally lost.

Check your quest log in the menu. Except for a couple if annoying points near the end if the game, the info note attached to your active quest should get you back to speed. You might need to find a map online to figure out location until you get back on your feet.

Thank god for the map improvement in IVA.

So pumped for this. Does anyone know usually when Nintendo adds games onto the eShop? I've got a trip this Sunday and wanted to have it during that.

mjc

Check your quest log in the menu. Except for a couple if annoying points near the end if the game, the info note attached to your active quest should get you back to speed. You might need to find a map online to figure out location until you get back on your feet.

Thank god for the map improvement in IVA.

That's the truth, the maps are absolute dogshit in IV haha.

I know IV:A spoils a good bit of IV and is pretty much a sequel. But is it 100% necessary to finish IV before going into IV:A?
Or is it just simply a good idea?

dan2026

I know IV:A spoils a good bit of IV and is pretty much a sequel. But is it 100% necessary to finish IV before going into IV:A?

Also want to know this. I found IV to be kind of a boring slog, but this sounds better.
Hoping I can just jump into this one.

There's some catchup movies as Free DLC that should cover things but it's an SMT plot so it's still pretty bizarre. I wouldn't say its necessary though, since the starting point of IVA is a divergence from IV you're starting out in a story in progress and trying to work out how to react with very little clue wth is going on, that's pretty much par for the course in SMT games.

(Also I wouldn't recommend playing IV first unless you genuinely want too, a complete run of all 4 endings of IV + DLC will take over 100 hours in all likelihood (especially if you do the bonus bosses and other completion stuff))

AyzOn

Neo Member

SMT is the parent of every other branch. Persona is just one of those branches.

Okay, not really interested in an MMO.
Well, maybe one day they will release a pc version of one of those games.

Thanks guys

Putting DQ7 aside for the time being.

Shin Megami Tensei takes priority above anything else :D

I'd get up to the streetpass / Internet Bar point in DQVII first (if you aren't there), the first lot of tables are only up for just over another week.

(Though you might want to get to the DLC point in Apocalypse as well since there's free DLC for a bit)

Wingus

I'd get up to the streetpass / Internet Bar point in DQVII first (if you aren't there), the first lot of tables are only up for just over another week.

(Though you might want to get to the DLC point in Apocalypse as well since there's free DLC for a bit)

Alright done that. Thanks for the warning though :)

Producer

About how long into it do you reach that point? I reached the molloy village.

BlackJace

I think it's dumb that you need the actual cart for SMT IV vanilla in order for save data to be captured. I thought they could just pull the save data from my SD card...

About how long into it do you reach that point? I reached the molloy village.

Haven't reached it myself yet, I'm only 1 "area" ahead of you. I've heard around 7.5-10 hours though. I'm still deciding which I want to do tomorrow (get DLC ready for Apoc or get through to the Internet Bar in VII).

I think it's dumb that you need the actual cart for SMT IV vanilla in order for save data to be captured. I thought they could just pull the save data from my SD card...

This is stupid. I have IV digital and now Apacolypse Digital.

You can. I imported my SMTIV data from my digital copy, around the first time I posted in this thread.

Producer

This is stupid. I have IV digital and now Apacolypse Digital.

Thats fine, it should work.

Haven't reached it myself yet, I'm only 1 "area" ahead of you. I've heard around 7.5-10 hours though. I'm still deciding which I want to do tomorrow (get DLC ready for Apoc or get through to the Internet Bar in VII).

Ah got it, thanks. Im gonna alternate between both games but its gonna be tough

You can. I imported my SMTIV data from my digital copy, around the first time I posted in this thread.

It can read IV digital, so you're good. My problem is that I don't have my physical copy of IV. Although the save data is on my current SD, I need the physical cart for it to pull it.

Got'cha, I misunderstood the post. Yeah I just uploaded my IV save file and I'm about to dive in.

Haven't really been following how close this was to release but ordered mine late Sunday...and already got it in during lunch from Amazon. My 3DS has been through a lot of charge cycles this year, what with FE Fates, MHG, and now this. Might be a day or two before I start though.

Letep

Amazon says I should be getting my copy today but it's been stuck on "shipping now" since last night.

I'm not getting this today, am I?

Mine said that too.

Then it was updated to be in New York. Delivering today.

Then a few hours later it was in New Jersey, with an updated delivery of tomorrow.

Now it's on my doorstep.

Strange.

My copy just arrived. Gonna put an hour or two into it, but I plan on maybe putting a stop to it before I get too into it. I really want to finish Cold Steel II.

Top Bottom