• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse |OT| Tokyo's Bad Day Is Too Sweet

cj_iwakura

SMT IV:Apocalypse |OT| No Demons. Neutral Only. FINAL Destination.

Lucifer's gonna have to sell a serious pitch to turn me away from the Polytheist Alliance, because those guys have balls of steel to step against Law and Chaos.

Also, the title's a reference to a joke about the DLC and the Atlus 'what do we name it' video.

Producer

Love this series. I'll be buying SMTIVA after school tomorrow. Looking forward to it, and I've been having anxiety problems recently, so a new major entry in a favourite series will be a welcome distraction.

Joke's on you. SMTIV has four endings. The truncated one is still logged on the save file, same as the others.

Now whether that's relevant to Apocalypse, I don't know.

Haha yeah i know about the nothing ending. It was the first ending i got but i reloaded my save after finding out. I should probably go back and get it for completions sake

Dr. Worm

Banned
On the one hand, I want it. On the other hand, it'll be $20 this time next year.

Is there a bonus for SMT IV save data? I started it, but I got onto the neutral path first (unintentionally!) and never finished.

It feels like it's been forever since we had one of these. Looking forward to playing with everyone again! Can't wait till I get off work tomorrow.

I didn't even start DQ7 because of this game lol

Also, as someone whose first playthrough of SMTIV fell into the nonsensical hole of being too neutral to get the Neutral ending, this:

There's technically two "good" endings this time around, both of which are, so far as I can surmise, decided by a very obvious chose in the penultimate dungeon and not through IV's convoluted machinations. The other endings are the Law & Chaos endings which cut out a significant amount of content, so they're best avoided unless you want to beat each path once.

is very nice to hear.

nickgia

Trying to beat AA6 tonight and skipping DQ7 until I beat this game. I'm going to try a dex character since I beat 4 with magic.

Beckx

i am really looking forward to this

but if there is a "fill the chalice" type thing in this one then i am going to say very angry things on the internet.

I stopped playing SMT IV out of boredom halfway through (despite loving the first 20 or so hours, jrpgs just drag on too long for me), so I was in a similar position. I found this playlist of all major story moments (fights, dialoge, cutscenes in chronological order and no commentary: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAV-xzjVBR0VcYfPylPdGUxyWGsvqGgXU

Im on mobile so I hope that links works.

Thanks for the link. I only ever got the Chaos ending and that was a little of two years ago. Might as well watch the Neutral path before tomorrow

Aeana

Gonna shelve DQVII for this!

image.php

Ugh, I have DQ7 after waiting years for it, and never got very far in SMT4, but I'm probably going to pick this up anyway. I haven't been following this game at all, is the MC supposed to be androgynous? Or are they explicitly male/female?

Lynx_7

What's the point in hiding lore entries behind timed free dlcs? Doesn't make sense to me.

I took the two best suggestions and paired them.
Casualry Scum would've been too hostile, anyway.

There's your mistake, we don't do pairings in SMT, we choose one path and stick to it!

Soriku

Ugh, I have DQ7 after waiting years for it, and never got very far in SMT4, but I'm probably going to pick this up anyway. I haven't been following this game at all, is the MC supposed to be androgynous? Or are they explicitly male/female?

Androgynous characters are often specified as male or female...but in this game the main character is just male. Weird question though, what games are you playing where main character sex is not clear lol?

I got some gift money, so I grabbed SMT IV: Apocalypse and Dragon Quest VII. Extremely stoked to have both of them!

I basically have everything I need, but I'll still get Bravely Second, Luigi's Mansion 2, and a few others when holidays come up. Pokemon Sun/Moon is the only big new release left, which actually makes it easy on the wallet. I have plenty on my plate.

kai3345

Banned
Skipped out on 4 because I didn't really dig the samurai theme. This one looks like it might appeal to me more, though. Do I need to have played 4 for this? Or is it a stand alone thing?

Edit - d'oh, probably should have read the whole OP first. hmm, maybe I won't get this then.

Soriku

Skipped out on 4 because I didn't really dig the samurai theme. This one looks like it might appeal to me more, though. Do I need to have played 4 for this? Or is it a stand alone thing?

Edit - d'oh, probably should have read the whole OP first. hmm, maybe I won't get this then.

Is that all? Because the samurai theme gets thrown out the window after a couple hours once you hit Tokyo. And even then the samurai aspects are hardly traditional...

Lynx_7

So if I want to get started with the series, what to do? Just jump in to the latest?

You start with IV, get frustrated with the first dungeon and then give up on the series. It's the only way.

There's an image out there with a bunch of tips on where to start but I'm not sure where to find it. Storywise you're fine starting with pretty much any title except this one since it's a direct sequel to IV. They do explain enough of the previous game's story in the first hour or so to give you just enough context but you'll still be missing a lot of details so I dunno. If that doesn't bother you, you could start here.

Mechanics-wise, some people recommend starting with one of the easier spin-offs and work your way up. If you're an experienced rpg player or have high tolerance towards difficult games I'd say just go for either IV or Nocturne. IV is a bit more friendly in the sense that you don't have to wonder what the hell a "Sukukaja" means since Nocturne gives you no descriptions when you're learning a new skill.

FluxWaveZ

The samurai theme gets subverted so hard the moment the game shifts to Tokyo, which is just a few hours into the game.

Fireblend

Banned

Uhh, I don't know how much research you made about IV back when it released, but
it's about samurais for like 1 hour, the samurai thing is pretty much a facade for the actual post dystopian techno punk crazy setting.

A copy arrived in the mail today. Haven't had much time to play it but since the day is aboot over, I reckon it's bout time to hunt. Woohoooo!

JTCx

Looking at the dlc i see that they still have the exp and macca dungeons. Is this still near mandatory because of how bad the macca gain in SMT4 was? It pissed me off that the endgame gear was ridiculously expensive and you couldn't farm macca at a reasonable time in order to obtain these, resulting in you spending money just to buy these.

kai3345

Banned
Is that all? Because the samurai theme gets thrown out the window after a couple hours once you hit Tokyo. And even then the samurai aspects are hardly traditional...

The samurai theme gets subverted so hard the moment the game shifts to Tokyo, which is just a few hours into the game.

Uhh, I don't know how much research you made about IV back when it released, but
it's about samurais for like 1 hour, the samurai thing is pretty much a facade for the actual post dystopian techno punk crazy setting.

oh word? ok then lol guess I'll have to give 4 another shot

FluxWaveZ

Looking at the dlc i see that they still have the exp and macca dungeons. Is this still near mandatory because of how bad the macca gain in SMT4 was? It pissed me off that the endgame gear was ridiculously expensive and you couldn't farm macca at a reasonable time in order to obtain these, resulting in you spending money just to buy these.

Interesting. I felt pretty well off in terms of Macca at the end of SMT IV. It might be because I didn't seek the high end gear—since I was blowing everything up with high MAG anyways—and I didn't really need to get into fusion shenanigans for the same reason.

If you had problems with money in SMT IV, you're going to have one hell of a time in Apocalypse because I found that cash was noticeably harder to come by this time around.

About how long was the neutral route in IV? I got law on my first run, but want to finish a neutral run I started ages ago. I think I'm at the part where you meet the Ring of Gaea lady that has a character portrait for no reason.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I would have also accepted Shin Megami Tensei: Apocalypse |OT| Tokyo Demon Sessions.

I think I was near to finishing all the neutral quests or did, how far am I from the ending?

I'm a bit concerned about how much of the previous SMTIV's environments are recycled. Is there actually new parts of the city to explore?

FluxWaveZ

I'm a bit concerned about how much of the previous SMTIV's environments are recycled. Is there actually new parts of the city to explore?

Most of the environments are recycled, along with the music (unfortunately). You won't be doing much "exploring," per se, because any areas conducive to that, you've already seen in SMT IV. However, most of the areas that are directly important to the story are new.

Corpekata

Banned
Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy. Says arriving Thursday now despite being "shipping today" all day today and preordering for the release day guarentee.

Lame.

Top Bottom