• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Twilight Princess HD

Although I originally played a fair whack of Twilight Princess on Wii at its launch, I had never finished it (like all but OoT and WW of 3D Zeldas). I remember another game would come out and I'd leave Zelda for a bit and come back to it, but when I returnedt, it would always take a while for me to remember where I was up to. I think on the third attempt to play the game, I gave up.
SS was another that I didn't finish but that was because I was getting sick of the repetition of bosses.

After enjoying playing through WW HD a few years back, I was hopeful there might be a TP remaster for me to replay and there was. But I had spent 2016 without access to my Wii U system, something I recently rectified after visiting home for Christmas.

So I started TP for the first time in 10 years.

I was bored shitless for countless hours. It felt boring, lifeless and I despised most of the music (The Hyrule Field theme is an exception. Its used throughout the game in various forms and is one of the series great tunes). I found that I had very little memory of the game apart from the early Wolf sections and I had originally gotten about 60% of the way through the game. The game also felt unpolished for a Zelda (Not sure if that's just the game or the remaster) with some camera wobbles and really, really awful controls for Epona. The sound is also really lacking with seemingly no changes from the GC/Wii version and so many areas where there is no sound or music at all (not even an ambient sound. Again, not sure how much is the game or the remaster.

But I kept playing. Somewhere along the line, I realised how much fun I was having in the dungeons compared to the overworld (the opposite of WW). The game is no great respecter of time and there's lots of travelling or warping back and forth. It's not a game you can enjoy if you're in a hurry.

There are a few bits where I've gotten stuck and referred to walkthroughs and its kinda interesting to see those recorded on Wii and GC to see how different the game was. I feel the gamepad made the UI a lot slicker (though its still clunky in places, it seems to take forever to get it to accept that I want to use bomb arrows) but it's nice having a touch button to transform quickly between wolf and Link.

So, as a last hurrah for my Wii U (BotW and Switch preordered), TP HD was as good a sendoff for a system that's destined to be a cult system in the same vein as the Dreamcast.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If they put it out on Switch then definitely but I won't be digging out my Wiimotes to play the Wii version.
Skyward Sword will never get a port to anything. It's way too dependent on waggle. So much of the game was designed around gyroscopic features and the whole combat mechanic, with enemies that require a specific sword swing, pretty much lock it out of being ported ever.

Which sucks.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I still need to get around to playing this.

By the way, Epona's controls were changed for the HD version.

Skyward Sword will never get a port to anything. It's way too dependent on waggle. So much of the game was designed around gyroscopic features and the whole combat mechanic, with enemies that require a specific sword swing, pretty much lock it out of being ported ever.

Which sucks.

But the Switch's Joy-Cons are basically Wiimote 3.0s. It seems like it could totally come back on Switch if Nintendo wanted it to.

Which sucks.

But isn't that functionality built into the Joy con? From the vids it doesn't sound like it's too hard to redo. Even a Wii U port is doable when you could map sword attacks to swipes on the gamepad touch screen.

Fliesen

Which sucks.

But the Switch's Joy-Cons are basically Wiimote 3.0s. It seems like it could totally come back on Switch if they wanted it to.

yeah, totally this. I don't think Joycons are any less capable than Wii Remote with MotionPlus. (seeing as 1-2-switch is all about motion control)

So i totally see Skyward Sword HD happening, and i'm psyched for it.
I enjoyed Twilight Princess on the Wii a lot, but i didn't even make it to Hyrule Field in the HD remaster because i got intensely bored by the tutorial chores, and the camera controls with the right stick felt way off...

AniHawk

i feel like tp was flanked by the two 3d zeldas that needed remakes the most. there are ridiculous pacing issues in each - although skyward sword's is related to constant interruption versus the design of the challenges. it felt weird that tp would get a remake that doesn't quite become the definitive version either. the wii remote setup was sorely missed upon my playthrough.

still a really great game, although i was far more sensitive to the pacing issues in the start of the game. the dungeons are still collectively the best nintendo's put into a zelda though.

Wallach

I'm actually playing through TP (HD ver) for the first time recently. I didn't play this or SS.

Last I left off I'd just gotten hands on the Master Sword after solving what seemed like a pretty tricky puzzle for a Zelda game. It's only recently felt around this point that the game opened up and I can really explore things; it felt a bit railroaded up to then and felt like it dragged at times. The first few hours in particular felt terribly slow.

There's been a couple points in the game that have felt just dreadful to play through. The one that stood out the most was the bit where you protect the cart with the Zora prince while they take him to Kakariko Village. Doing stuff on horseback just kind of generally feels like it sucks so far, and that was the peak of doing annoying shit on horseback. Locking the boomerang onto the cart if it caught fire was a particularly frustrating thing that seemed unbelievably finicky. I watched them burn alive once in a comically drawn out sequence of me just chasing them and somehow never locking onto this giant cart. Kind of felt like I was doing the game a favor playing beyond that point, I think I've dropped games entirely for better sequences.

That said, the dungeons in this game have proven really entertaining and the point I'm at where I feel like I can get around in the world and start looking for Poe souls and heart pieces in earnest makes it feel a lot more enjoyable. The water temple in particular was awesome. Hopefully the later dungeons are as fun as the ones I've gone through so far.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

But the Switch's Joy-Cons are basically Wiimote 3.0s. It seems like it could totally come back on Switch if Nintendo wanted it to.

But isn't that functionality built into the Joy con? From the vids it doesn't sound like it's too hard to redo. Even a Wii U port is doable when you could map sword attacks to swipes on the gamepad touch screen.

yeah, totally this. I don't think Joycons are any less capable than Wii Remote with MotionPlus. (seeing as 1-2-switch is all about motion control)

So i totally see Skyward Sword HD happening, and i'm psyched for it.
I enjoyed Twilight Princess on the Wii a lot, but i didn't even make it to Hyrule Field in the HD remaster because i got intensely bored by the tutorial chores, and the camera controls with the right stick felt way off...
But then people playing in portable mode wouldn't be able to play it because they couldn't swing the sword. It's the same reason a Mario Maker port is going to be pretty impossible too. If it can't be played in all play styles, Nintendo will be less likely to consider it. Skyward Sword would be playable on the TV with the joy cons detached, but not in portable mode with them connected. Mario Maker would only be playable in portable mode but you wouldn't be able to make levels in TV mode.

Lynd7

Yeah since Switch has motion, it won't be a problem.

Skyward Sword didn't use the IR Wii sensor I don't think and simply used motion for everything.

LotusHD

Banned
Still my favorite Zelda game. Really need to find the time to clear my backlog a little
I still haven't beaten Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask
so I can justify buying and replaying it.

Fliesen

But then people playing in portable mode wouldn't be able to play it because they couldn't swing the sword. It's the same reason a Mario Maker port is going to be pretty impossible too. If it can't be played in all play styles, Nintendo will be less likely to consider it. Skyward Sword would be playable on the TV with the joy cons detached, but not in portable mode with them connected. Mario Maker would only be playable in portable mode but you wouldn't be able to make levels in TV mode.

good point. We still don't have a confirmation though, whether or not there's a strict mandate / policy that every piece of switch software needs to be able to run in every 'mode'. (*cough cough* try running 1-2-switch in portable mode ;) )

Also, i'm wondering whether or not Skyward Sword in portable mode would be feasible via:

* Detaching only the right Joycon (depends on how comfortable the device is to hold in one hand)
* Swiping the touch screen to emulate sword slashes (look no further than Severed on the vita, which has fighting (sword swinging) mechanics not that dissimilar to Skyward Sword

also, mario maker could totally work by using the Joycon as a pointing device, no?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

good point. We still don't have a confirmation though, whether or not there's a strict mandate / policy that every piece of switch software needs to be able to run in every 'mode'. (*cough cough* try running 1-2-switch in portable mode ;) )

Also, i'm wondering whether or not Skyward Sword in portable mode would be feasible via:

* Detaching only the right Joycon (depends on how comfortable the device is to hold in one hand)
* Swiping the touch screen to emulate sword slashes (look no further than Severed on the vita, which has fighting (sword swinging) mechanics not that dissimilar to Skyward Sword

also, mario maker could totally work by using the Joycon as a pointing device, no?

I must be missing something because I don't see why a game using motion controls would be any less playable in portable mode compared to docked mode. The only differences between docked and portable mode are access to the touch screen, the available graphical power, and battery life. AFAIK, everything else is the same. I feel like I'm missing something in your arguments, so feel free to explain. FWIW Fliesen, on NoA's webpage dedicated to Switch, one of their promotional images for the console is of two people playing 1 2 Switch outside in portable mode.

This poor thread became about a Skyward Sword port potential rather than TPHD. The game deserves better. :/

OT: It's a shame that TPHD ended up being rather unremarkable. I think the game needs a full "remake" like OoT/MM 3D for it to stand out. Perhaps on Switch 2 or 3 they'd be able to overhaul the graphics enough that it's not just flat textures on barren polygons everywhere.

Fliesen

I must be missing something because I don't see why a game using motion controls would be any less playable in portable mode compared to docked mode. The only differences between docked and portable mode are access to the touch screen, the available graphical power, and battery life. AFAIK, everything else is the same. I feel like I'm missing something in your arguments, so feel free to explain.

how do you see Skyward Sword's sword controls being handled in portable (i.e. not kickstand or TV) mode?

SMattera

You use the kickstand to prop the system up on the floor, a desk or a table. Same way you play 1-2 Switch in portable mode.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
how do you see Skyward Sword's sword controls being handled in portable (i.e. not kickstand or TV) mode?

Oh, sorry. I forgot that portable mode was considered different from kickstand mode. In that case, I see what you're saying.

Funny enough, I just booted up both Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess HD myself earlier today. The latest trailer for Breath of the Wild gave me some Zelda fever, and I figure Breath of the Wild will be pursuing a fairly different approach for a Zelda game, so I wanted to make sure I was kind of fresh on what the last few games attempted before I get in.

I couldn't get past the first 2 hours of Skyward Sword. The motion controls still feel fine to me personally, but the actual pace of the game is really, really slow in those early hours. I remember being able to stomach it just fine upon the game's original release and I beat it within 72 hours of launch, but I'm not sure I can keep going right now. That's why I switched to Twilight Princess HD.

I had gotten really late into the game when I bought TP HD last year during its launch -- I was at
The Temple of Time, second-to-last dungeon
. In the past, my first playthrough of TP was on the Wii version, which as a fresh Wii owner and Zelda fan, was mostly fine, but the more I tried to play post-game and collect everything, the less and less my impression lasted, and I ultimately ended up hating its cheap waggle controls. A few years later, I bought a used Gamecube copy and it changed my mind on the game pretty radically and pulled it into a positive light again, but it was more of a side project thing than a primary focus and it got kind of lost in the shuffle before I could play to completion. TP HD last year just felt like a treat, through-and-through: it had sensible use of motion controls and touchpad usage to make quality of life during the game far superior to any version before it while still maintaining the, IMO, superior tactile feel of traditional controls for moving Link around and engaging in combat. It also manages to look decent (admittedly the assets themselves are quite dated but the resolution and performance seems fine). It didn't become my favorite 3D Zelda game, but it was great. Again, I kind of dropped it in favor of Doom and Overwatch before I could finish it, but returning earlier this afternoon was fun -- I finished a whole dungeon from start to finish and might actually wrap the remainder of the game up before Breath of the Wild. It's redeemed my progressively worsening opinion following the Wii version as my initial playthrough of the game, and for the longest time, that Wii version gave me the impression that it was my least favorite 3D Zelda (even weighing against Skyward Sword)... But that's no longer the case.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The frustrating pacing of this game has made it extremely hard for me to stick with it since its release. The Hero Mode makes things alot more engaging, but fuck me, parts of this still feel like a chore.

Nerrel

Skyward Sword didn't use the IR Wii sensor I don't think and simply used motion for everything.

It used it for recalibration. When pointing forward with the IR LEDs in sight, the game would self-correct the sword/cursor position. You can test it yourself by swinging the remote hard for a few moments, then pointing back at the sensor bar. You'll see the calibration drift you introduced by shaking suddenly get corrected, with Link's sword abruptly snapping back to the default position as soon as the sensor bar is in view.

The lack of IR makes me concerned the joycons will lose calibration substantially more often. We haven't heard anything about a magnetometer to cancel drift, so I'd assume Skyward Sword HD would drift much worse than the original. Running the game at 60fps would make a big difference in the responsiveness though, and may help offset the increased drift.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Funny enough, I just booted up both Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess HD myself earlier today. The latest trailer for Breath of the Wild gave me some Zelda fever, and I figure Breath of the Wild will be pursuing a fairly different approach for a Zelda game, so I wanted to make sure I was kind of fresh on what the last few games attempted before I get in.

I couldn't get past the first 2 hours of Skyward Sword. The motion controls still feel fine to me personally, but the actual pace of the game is really, really slow in those early hours. I remember being able to stomach it just fine upon the game's original release and I beat it within 72 hours of launch, but I'm not sure I can keep going right now. That's why I switched to Twilight Princess HD.

I had gotten really late into the game when I bought TP HD last year during its launch -- I was at
The Temple of Time, second-to-last dungeon
. In the past, my first playthrough of TP was on the Wii version, which as a fresh Wii owner and Zelda fan, was mostly fine, but the more I tried to play post-game and collect everything, the less and less my impression lasted, and I ultimately ended up hating its cheap waggle controls. A few years later, I bought a used Gamecube copy and it changed my mind on the game pretty radically and pulled it into a positive light again, but it was more of a side project thing than a primary focus and it got kind of lost in the shuffle before I could play to completion. TP HD last year just felt like a treat, through-and-through: it had sensible use of motion controls and touchpad usage to make quality of life during the game far superior to any version before it while still maintaining the, IMO, superior tactile feel of traditional controls for moving Link around and engaging in combat. It also manages to look decent (admittedly the assets themselves are quite dated but the resolution and performance seems fine). It didn't become my favorite 3D Zelda game, but it was great. Again, I kind of dropped it in favor of Doom and Overwatch before I could finish it, but returning earlier this afternoon was fun -- I finished a whole dungeon from start to finish and might actually wrap the remainder of the game up before Breath of the Wild. It's redeemed my progressively worsening opinion following the Wii version as my initial playthrough of the game, and for the longest time, that Wii version gave me the impression that it was my least favorite 3D Zelda (even weighing against Skyward Sword)... But that's no longer the case.

I'm hoping to get through MM3D (maybe 40% through), SS (very close to the end), and TPHD before BotW releases because I get the feeling that going back to these games after BotW (perhaps except MM) is going to be very difficult. Pacing is one of the reasons. The other is that Breath of the Wild seems to do what TPHD was hoping for in terms of scale but much better.

I'm still bummed TPHD left the loadings screens between parts of Hyrule Field in.

daffy

Banned
Thought about picking this up but that wolf shit makes it a hard pass. i cant play through that again. its fun the first time

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

The IR was needed for calibration. Switch doesn't seem to have motion on the level Skyward Sword would require it. I can't see it happening without a major overhaul of the game, and that's not in the cards. Skyward Sword is destined to become something of a "lost" Zelda game due to how hard it will be to re-release as time goes on.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You use the kickstand to prop the system up on the floor, a desk or a table. Same way you play 1-2 Switch in portable mode.
But you still lose the ability to play it when in complete portable mode. It'd only be playable in TV mode or stand mode but not portable mode.

Mario Maker would only be editable in portable mode or stand mode but not TV mode, and playable in all three modes.

I have a feeling Nintendo isn't going to want to fragment things like this. Games will need to be fully playable in all three modes. Therefore Skyward Sword would be impossible thanks to its swordplay mechanic. No one is going to be swinging their Switch around wildly since A) they'd throw it across the room and B) you wouldn't be able to see the screen. And Mario Maker would be useless for TV mode because you'd constantly be taking it out and putting it back in every time you want to test the levels with your friends watching, so you'll resort to having it only in portable or stand mode while everyone hunches over the small screen.

(Believe me, I'd LOVE to have Mario Maker even if it did mean excluding TV mode in 50% of the game and I still hope they do figure something out.)

But you still lose the ability to play it when in complete portable mode. It'd only be playable in TV mode or stand mode but not portable mode.

Mario Maker would only be editable in portable mode or stand mode but not TV mode, and playable in all three modes.

I have a feeling Nintendo isn't going to want to fragment things like this. Games will need to be fully playable in all three modes. Therefore Skyward Sword would be impossible thanks to its swordplay mechanic. No one is going to be swinging their Switch around wildly since A) they'd throw it across the room and B) you wouldn't be able to see the screen. And Mario Maker would be useless for TV mode because you'd constantly be taking it out and putting it back in every time you want to test the levels with your friends watching, so you'll resort to having it only in portable or stand mode while everyone hunches over the small screen.

(Believe me, I'd LOVE to have Mario Maker even if it did mean excluding TV mode in 50% of the game and I still hope they do figure something out.)

Not that I disagree about fragmentation, but how is anyone expected to play 1, 2, Switch! when in portable mode? Docked and Kickstand only for that one. :S

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Not that I disagree about fragmentation, but how is anyone expected to play 1, 2, Switch! when in portable mode? Docked and Kickstand only for that one. :S
You could be right. But for games that are actually real games and not silly party gimmicks, because they're expecting people to take their Switch with them, they're gonna want these big games to be playable no matter what mode you're in.

Who knows, maybe they'll have labels on their boxes like "TV Mode for Gameplay only. TV Mode not available in Editing mode." for Mario Maker. Skyward Sword would be sadder because it'd be "Game not playable in portable mode."

Beegeous

I'm in a similar position as I'm currently in Snowhead having not played TP since I nailed it pretty much in a week when I got my Wii for Xmas 2006.

I'm really liking the game ATM, much more than I was anticipating. It was a similar story with WW HD which I got hooked on last summer. I hadn't played it since the original release on GCN but the remaster with its improvements had me completely fall in love with it and I can see the same happening with TPHD.

kromeo

I didn't find the overworld anywhere near as dull as Wind Waker's, and the dungeons more than make up for it

The IR was needed for calibration. Switch doesn't seem to have motion on the level Skyward Sword would require it. I can't see it happening without a major overhaul of the game, and that's not in the cards. Skyward Sword is destined to become something of a "lost" Zelda game due to how hard it will be to re-release as time goes on.

The Switch joy-con motion is more advanced than what the motionplus offers.

Fliesen

You could be right. But for games that are actually real games and not silly party gimmicks, because they're expecting people to take their Switch with them, they're gonna want these big games to be playable no matter what mode you're in.

Who knows, maybe they'll have labels on their boxes like "TV Mode for Gameplay only. TV Mode not available in Editing mode." for Mario Maker. Skyward Sword would be sadder because it'd be "Game not playable in portable mode."

if i were Nintendo i'd rather sell a game that people will only be able to play in 2 out of 3 "modes" than not sell said game at all, especially if it's a Zelda title and especially in case 3rd party support on the Switch stays as underwhelming as it was on the Wii U.

I'd milk all of my IPs as much as I could ;)

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if games had the same icons on their backs that show up on the Switch when you take it out of docked mode to indicate what style of play they're suited for, like how Wii and Wii U games had the icons for what controllers worked with each game. The less of that the better though, since they don't want to confuse the message this time. If the Mario Maker port/sequel really is happening I wonder how they'll get around the touch screen requirement, or if they'll even "get around" it at all. I mean, the handheld mode IS a feature of the console, so it's not like they couldn't put up a "Please Undock Your Nintendo Switch" bubble on the screen when you go into Edit Mode (as obnoxious as that would be).

ghibli99

I really enjoyed this game when I played it on the GC, but can barely remember a damn thing about it today (I vaguely remember a find-all-the-cats quest, a dungeon with rotating stairs, and that some of the tools were criminally underutilized). I have the HD one for Wii U, but haven't even cracked the seal on it.

Enforced

It was nice to play it again. The only thing I'm disappointed that they didn't add wii remote controls as an option. I really like pointer controls. But they did a great job on this version.

Twilight Princess gets way too much flack - it features some of the best dungeon designs and music (yeah, really) in the entire series. Plus it features best Link(tm).

Are there any good silent playthroughs of TPHD? I wanna relive the Lakebed Temple with some contemporary textures.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if games had the same icons on their backs that show up on the Switch when you take it out of docked mode to indicate what style of play they're suited for, like how Wii and Wii U games had the icons for what controllers worked with each game. The less of that the better though, since they don't want to confuse the message this time. If the Mario Maker port/sequel really is happening I wonder how they'll get around the touch screen requirement, or if they'll even "get around" it at all. I mean, the handheld mode IS a feature of the console, so it's not like they couldn't put up a "Please Undock Your Nintendo Switch" bubble on the screen when you go into Edit Mode (as obnoxious as that would be).
It would be obnoxious, but not for people like me who don't plan on ever docking it for gameplay.

I want to see some old 3DS remasters get re-remastered again for the Switch. Games that were never on the 3DS in the first place that's could easily be put on a single screen console again. Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time and Majora would be my choices. Or games that could easily be ported since they didn't need two screens anyway like 3D Land which would just replace the bottom screen with a pause menu.

I never had a 3DS and missed out on so many games. So some selective remaking would be great.

And if Mario Maker does come to the Switch it'll be the perfect version since it'll include everything that we already have and not be gimped on a portable system for once. But I'm afraid it'll require the online service. Maybe they can compromise and make playing levels from the internet free but make you have to pay for the service if you want to upload or download levels. Also make sure you migrate over all the existing levels and settings from our old Wii U versions.

Nerrel

The Switch joy-con motion is more advanced than what the motionplus offers.
How so? I keep hearing it, yet all that I've seen officially is that it has an accelerometer and gyro, the same as the remote with motion+. There's been no mention of a magnetometer or anything else that would improve the quality of the controls.

Top Bottom