• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
OP

23. 24. 25.
hosegXS.jpg

Playstation 4

A beautiful remaster(make?) I keep hearing people bleeting how it is now harder? Well I honestly found the originals so much more difficult. This is also the first time I've ever cleared the first Crash, and yes iwaki still difficult, but it was so satisfying to finally beat it.
9/10

Tizoc

header.jpg

So this game improves the combat pretty well but has a major issue where armored enemies require you to either use your Fire power to destroy their armor before your main whip attacks can harm them, or to use the Block+Jump maneuver to get behind them and attack.
Unfortunately, when enemies group up on you in a narrow space it becomes difficult to manage them but with some positioning you can be in a good enough area to take them out.
The game has various glaring issues though, you can tell it had a troubled development, as the castle sections got shorter and shorter from the mid game onwards. This is to say nothing of the game's biggest flaw: the stealth sections. These were never needed and hardly serve any purpose and could've been removed without affecting the game.

As is the game is pretty middling IMHO, about as middling as LoS1, but I felt LoS1 had a better direction with its progression and story (even if it felt it dragged a bit).

49. Disney Infinity 3.0 - The Force Awakens Playset (4 hours)
This rounds out the Star Wars playsets, and Disney Infinity as a whole, quite well. What really surprised me about this one, however, was that it made me a little nostalgic for a movie that came out less than two years ago. It's surprising how natural The Force Awakens feels as part of the Star Wars universe already.

Full list to date.

Main post

-------

29. Halo Wars: Definitive Edition - 10 hours
This is actually really good RTS, i honestly didn't expected that it'll be so hardcore. Even on normal difficulty it's really easy to loose entire mission because of single mistake, this game requires to have ALL UNITS
sorry
under your full control, or enemies will destroy them all quicker than you'll hear "Forge is down". There is also really nice story for RTS game, I barely played first 2 Halo games and don't know much about this universe, but still enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately, i couldn't force myself to play online or at least skirmish with AI, this game requires to learn best tactics to play decent and I'm too lazy to do this.

Tizoc

Capcom did impressive work on the visuals and graphics in this game, and the core gameplay is still good.
The music is an odd mix though: Some tracks sound good, others sound weird, I chalk it up to them not translating well via SNES hardware, which is unfortunate as X1 had a great soundtrack.
Difficulty-wise, I found the stages to not be THAT difficult but boss fights are a lot harder this time, especially as some bosses don't just freeze in place when you hit them with their weakness, so that's a bonus. The X-Hunters showing up randomly in the main areas is a little irritating as you would rather they appear in the next stage you are entering where a boss has a weakeness you already got, though the way they are randomized, you will always get a chance to fight the 3 and get a Zero Part...long as you remember where their room is in a stage and to actually fight them.

By the end game, I foudn The X-Hunters' boss fights were pretty tough too, and I had to use Health Tanks just to survive them.

Overall I didn't enjoy it as much as X1, but it has its qualities.

Azriell

Complete List

Until Dawn
Platform: PS4
Time: 9:00
Date: 07.20
Score: (5/5)

Amazing game. I'm not a fan of scary games, but I thought it would be okay because I thought this was more like the TaleTell games, where you just have to make decisions and see how it plays out. No. Until Dawn was terrifying for me, and yet I couldn't help but rush through it. The voice/body mo-cap/facial mo-cap acting is too good and the models are amazing. It's like playing a horror movie, which was an amazing and terrifying experience.

Bastion

Game 1-Criminal Girls 2 Party Favors-2016-Vita-Beaten on January 2nd
-I really enjoyed the grind in this game. I usually hate grinding but this game makes it very easy to do so. Fun little game that took about 25 hours. 8/10

Game 2-Shantae Half Genie Hero-2016-Vita-Beaten on January 6th
-This was the perfect game after the long grind of my previous game. Very light-hearted and fun! Perfect on the Vita! 8/10

Game 3-Alone With You-2016-Vita-Beaten on January 14th
-While this adventure game wasn't great, it was very relaxing to play which is what made me enjoy it overall. 7/10

Game 4-Call of Duty Infinite Warfare-2016-PS4-Beaten on January 15th
-I might be in the minority that only play the story mode in Call of Duty games and have to say that I never tire of them. They are like a summer blockbuster. I really liked the on ground parts of his game but didn't really like the flying portions. Still waiting for a return to WWII. 8/10

Game 5-Severed-2016-Vita-Beaten on January 17th
-I really enjoyed this game outside of a few difficulty spikes here or there. Great atmosphere and great touch controls which I usually hate. 9/10

Game 6-Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7-2012-Vita-Beaten on January 19th
-This was the weakest game I have played in a long time. This game was before Lego characters talked so all it is is a disjointed story with very weird grunts/sounds from the characters. I really like the Harry Potter universe but this game is just bad. At least I got it super cheap from a PSN sale. 4/10

Game 7-Neverending Nightmares-2016-Vita-Beaten on January 21
-I really enjoyed this little (2 hours long)horror game. It had great atmosphere and sound especially with headphones on. The title explains the game perfectly as you keep repeating the same nightmare over and over again with slight differences everytime you die. The story is slight but interesting as well. 7/10

Game 8-Trails of Cold Steel 2-2016-Vita-Beaten on February 17
-Over the last 13 months, I have beaten all four of the recent Trails games and have loved every single one of them. This one took me 50 hours which is why this is he first game I have beaten in almost a month. If you like RPG's this is one of the best. 10/10

Game 9-World of Final Fantasy-2016-Vita-Beaten on February 25
-Where January was meant for shorter games for myself, February has been dedicated to longer RPG's. I really enjoyed this game for the most part. It was great to see all the supporting stars from previous Final Fantasy games. The story was not great but kept me interested for the most part. I finished the game with the original bad ending and then saw all that I had to do to get the good ending and just decided to call it. I watched the good ending on YouTube. I had just had enough of all the random battles at that point. 8/10

Game 10-Odin Sphere Leiftrauser-2016-Vita-Beaten on April 1
-Wow. Where did March go? I played a lot of games in March just didn't finish any. I finally beat this game on April Fools Day and as a game, it is no joke. What a great game! I really enjoyed the gameplay and while the environments repeated themselves over and over, the gameplay made up for it. 9/10

Game 11-The Walking Dead Episode 3 Above the Law-2017-PS4-Beaten on April 2
-I am a sucker for all these Telltale games. Can't get enough of them. If you liked the previous games, you will like this. I like how Clem is really developing as a character as she is gets older. 9/10

Game 12-Mr. Shifty-2017-Nintendo Switch-Beaten on April 22
-I really liked this game as it's like the Hotline Miami series, which I love. If it hadn't been for the slowdown in the Switch version, I think I would have liked it better than the Hotline Miami games. 8/10

Game 13-Guardians of the Galaxy The Telltale Series Episode 1-2017-PS4-Beaten on April 29
-I feel like this was the weakest of any Telltale series game. It was boring as I had to start the game over three different times because I fell asleep. I do really like the opening song "Why Can't I Touch It" by the Buzzcocks. Hopefully the series will pick up with future episodes. 6/10

Game 14-What Remains of Edith Finch-2017-PS4-Beaten on April 29
-Favorite game of the year so far. Great atmosphere and strange(in a good way) story. Loved the Holloween music in one of the stories! 10/10

Game 15-Full Throttle Remastered-2017-Vita-Beaten on May 1
-I have to admit that I didn't really like this game. If it wasn't for an online guide, I would have never beaten the game. It also was very choppy(not the frame rate but the game)which I'm not sure if that was in the original game or not. 5/10
Last edited by Bastion; 05-01-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Game 16-Gal Gun Double Peace-2016-Vita-Beaten on May 22
-Inreally don't have much of an opinion on this game. It is a on rails shooter where you shoot girls. Without a gun peripheral it just isn't much fun in my opinion. 5/10

Game 17-The Walking Dead: A New Frontier-Episode 4 Thicker than Water-2017-PS4-Beaten on May 25
-Again, good episode. 9/10

Game 18-The Walking Dead: A New Frontier-Episode 5 From the Gallows-2017-PS4-Beaten on May 31
-I really liked the entire series and thought this was a good concluding episode. Not as good as the first two but still good. I am looking forward to what happens next as the ending sets it up pretty well. 8/10

Game 19-Assassin's Creed Unity-2014-PS4-Beaten on June 4
-I really enjoy the Assasin Creed games. I haven't played all of them so I haven't got burned out on them yet. I only play the story missions so it keeps me focused because the map is just filled with tons of things to do so it can be overwhelming. I didn't try the co-op missions in this game so I can't speak to those at all. 7/10

Game 20-The Little Acre-2016-PS4-Beaten on June 5
-This is a very brief(about two hours) point and click adventure game. I had an average time with this average game. I got this for a couple of $$ on a PSN sale and played it as I knew it was really short. 6/10

Game 21-Quantum Break-2016-Xbox One-Beaten on June 15
-I absolutely loved this game. Had I finished this game last year, it would have been one of my favorite games of 2016. I love the time powers and I really like the mixture of game and tv show. This game had great production value and is something you just don't see much. I think Defiance is the only other game that had a show go along with it. 10/10

Game 22-Destiny-2014-PS4-Beaten on June 18
-I bought Destiny the day it came out back in 2014 and played it for awhile but then quit. Now with Destiny 2 right around the corner, I decided it was time to finish the game and all of the expansions. I have to say that I really enjoyed the gameplay. The story wasn't great but I was never bored. This summary is for the original Destiny only and will be adding the dlc add-ons as I play through them. 8/10

Game 23-Destiny The Dark Below DLC-2014-PS4-Beaten on June 18
-This was the first expansion to Destin and added three story missions to Destiny. It took me about an hour to get through all three story missions. It was more of the same but still good. 8/10

Game 24-Destiny The House of Wolves DLC-2015-PS4-Beaten on June 19
-This was the second expansion for Destiny and I liked this much more than The Dark Below as it had better atmosphere in my opinion. 9/10

Game 25-Destiny The Taken King DLC-2015-PS4-Beaten on June 21
-This was a great addition to Destiny. Really enjoyed the story missions. Now for the Rise of Iron. 9/10

Game 26-Ghostbusters VR Now Hiring Episode 1-2017-PSVR -Beaten on June 23
-This was a fun little experience for $4 from the recent PSN sale. It was only about 15 minutes but it was fun and very cool to be in the Ghostbusters universe. Recommended if you get it for $5 or under. 7/10

Game 27-Rogue One: X-wing VR Mission-2016-PSVR-Beaten on June 23
-This was a great VR experience and if you love Star Wars, it will be a highlight of your gaming life. This was awesome! It makes you feel like you are there shooting down the tie-fighters. It did only take me only 16 minutes to beat it but it was a free download since I own Star Wars Battlefront. I also came away a little dizzy but not bad. 10/10
Last edited by Bastion; 06-23-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Game 28-Destiny Rise of Iron DLC-2016-PS4-Beaten on June 25
-I am now ready for Destiny 2. Really enjoyed this expansion. More Destiny. 9/10

G ame 29-Guardians of the Galaxy The Telltale Series Eposode 2-2017-PS4-Beaten on June 26
-Hmm..... I love what Telltale has done with the Walking Dead and Batman and pretty much everything else but I am not feeling this series. Maybe it's because I feel the franchise is just plain weird. I don't know. 5/10

Game 30-Fate: The Silent Oath-2017-PSVR-Beaten on June 30
-I really enjoyed this adventure even though it did make me a bit dizzy. The game was short and rough around the edges but still a great experience. I hope to see a AAA game do this type of game! 7/10

Game 31-Spider Man Homecoming VR-2017-PSVR-Beaten on June 30
-I really wasn't very impressed by this experience. It was ok but the graphics were really rough. It was cool shooting from my webslinger(via two PS moves). It only lasted maybe 15 minutes but it was free! 5/10

Game 32-Outlast Whistleblower DLC-2014-PS4-Beaten on July 8
-I love survival horror games so game is right up my alley. I really liked the main game and this dlc was just as good if not better. Very atmospheric and dark. Looking forward to playing Outlast 2 soon. 10/10

Game 33-Titanfall 2-2016-Xbox One-Beaten on July 10
-I loved this game. The mixture of shooting and platform was perfect. The only thing that I didn't like was the assembly line level as I just didn't know where to go. 9/10

Game 34-Soma-2015-PS4-Beaten on July 19
-This game was awesome. It was a very unsettling experience which I loved! I really liked the story and gameplay. E only thing that I thought was a bit annoying were the "monsters". Even though the weird "monsters" helped make the game more tense, it seemed like they were very random and hard to escape at times. I think that was the point overall, but still annoying. 9/10

Game 35-Sniper Elite 3-2014-PS4-Beaten on July 23
-I have always loved sniping in games, and his game lets you snipe all the time and does it wonderfully! I never get tired of the slow-mo effect when sniping and watching the bullet penetrate the body of the enemy. Great stuff! 9/10

Game 36-House of the Dead IV along with HOTD IV SP-2012-PS3-Beaten on July 25
-This was the first House of the Dead game I have played to completion and I enjoyed it a lot. Very cheesy story and voice acting but that's ok as it's an arcade game. It looked good on the PS3 and works very well with move. Not quite the same as the old light gun games though. Those guns felt better. 7/10

Game 38-Tokyo Xanadu-2017-Vita-Beaten on July 26
-This was a great, modern day action rpg. If you liked the Trails of Cold Steel games with the action of Ys and the personality of Persona 4, this game is for you. I thoroughly enjoyed all 40 hours I played and actually played to get the true ending after the credits originally rolled which I have never done before. That says something. 10/10

Game 39-House of the Dead III-2012-PS3-Beaten on July 26
-After beating HOTD IV yesterday, I decided to go ahead and play III. I liked this one better simply because it had shotguns instead of uzi's. 7/10

Game 40-Night in the Woods-2017-PS4-Beaten on August 6
-This game was very chill and easy to enjoy. I enjoyed the coming of age story and the conversations that took place throughout the game. The story does end up a bit strange but I am open to anything when it comes to video games. 8/10

Game 41-Rime-2017-PS4-Beaten on August 7
-This game is in the same vein as Ico, Journey, Abzu, and Bound. I find all of these games incredibly relaxing to play. There really is nothing negative to say about the game other than the story is really non-existent until the end where it becomes quite touching. Great experience! 10/10

Game 42-Batman The Enemy Within Episode 1 The Enigma-2017-PS4-Beaten on August 8
-I loved the first Batman Telltale game and so far, I love Season 2. Batman fits so well into this type of game. It is my favorite Telltale series by far. 10/10

Game 43-Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice-2017-PS4-Beaten on August 11
-Wow! This game is one of the best games I have ever played. Maybe my new favorite game. Unbelievably good. Superb graphics, audio and atmosphere. I loved every second of it. 10/10

Full List

May cont.

42. Nier: Automata - 35 hrs

I thought this was solid, got all the endings, but it is nowhere near as good(storywise) as Nier.

June

43. Rime - 6 hrs

I really enjoyed my time with this. I wish it was easier to return through and explore instead of linear stages.

44. Eyes of Ara - 10 hrs

This was a solid Myst like puzzler.

45. Wuppo - 8 hrs

I enjoyed the adventure like elements of this and thought the action elements were so underbaked as to be irritating.

July

46. Ghost 1.0 - 16 hrs

I thought this was mostly fantastic if a bit bland overall. I enjoyed my time with it.

47. Pharaoh Rebirth+ - 7 hrs

Very very good.

48. Song of the Deep - 12 hrs

This game is extremely underrated. It's quite good.

49. Headlander - 8 hrs

This was okay. The mechanics get pretty old.

50. Omegaland - 4 hrs

The second half of this game is pretty solid, the grinding is a little much.

51. Jotun - 4 hrs

The hit detection was a constant irritation but I can't complain about getting this free.

52. Eliot Quest - 18 hrs

This game is alternately fantastic and terrible. I really enjoyed parts of it, but the lack of direction and useless map are not positive additions, just time wasters. I redid so many areas just aimlessly searching for what to do next.

52 games / 650 hrs

52!

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
#31 Lara Croft GO
Android
Played through it bit by bit on my phone, it was fun, if simple. I enjoyed the little puzzles and such

#32 & 33
Raiden FIghters, Raiden Fighters Jet
Android
Annoyed by the controls with my fingers covering valuable screen real estate. But great little shooters, so much fun. Kinda make me want to buy the boards, lol

Yakuza 2
Wii U
Plugging through all the Yakuzas. Yakuza 2 has my favorite narrative in the franchise, and while being rough around the edges, in the FMVs especially, the HD remaster looks really, really good. And the game is as great as ever.

Tekken 7
PS4
Completed the story mode. Great game, never enjoyed Tekken as much as VF, and certainly not as much as I love SNK fighters, but I enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun even though Tekken has an insane narrative. Also, I have a much harder time pulling off a raging demon than in other games.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
PSP
I was really looking forward to this. Been meaning to play it for years. I love Falcom and I heard it had a wonderful world. I was INCREDIBLY disappointed. It was pretty cool mechanically, but it had a very bland plot and characters. Also I find the shit between Estelle and Joshua to be gross. Adopted or not, they grew up together and it is so fucking stereotypical she would fawn over him. Can't she just find her own way. And the fucking twist at the end was so eye rolling. Probably gonna leave SC on the shelf.

Falchion

Original Post

29) Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels - 8 hours - 7/22
This has to be one of the most fun racing experiences I've ever had. It's an absolute joy to go tearing around the Hot Wheels tracks with all the crazy loops and psychics defying stunts.

Original post

DzhlKXNl.png

24. Knights (PC, 2016) - 5:06
All levels complete.

The last of the bite-sized puzzle games I bought in the Steam summer sale, Knights is a pleasant brain-teaser where you have to move knight pieces on a chessboard into their proper places. The knight pieces, of course, move like chess knights, so it's not necessarily easy to figure out how exactly to manipulate a piece to get it into the right space. It's harder still when you have to worry about multiple colours of knights. Then imagine that some of the spaces on the chessboard are inaccessible. That's Knights.

As a game, it has a pretty good difficulty curve, with additional constraints and higher complexity being introduced at reasonable times. Knights has a few eureka moments where everything snaps into place in your mind, but more often it's about the simple pleasure of slowly introducing order to the board where chaos previously reigned: a place for every piece, and every piece in its place. That said, Knights has a weird kink in its difficulty around the Queen levels, which I actually found to be significantly harder in some instances than the King levels. At times I would have to sit there and stare at a board for up to half an hour to figure out what I was supposed to do. But possibly this also means that I hit some kind of higher understanding that allowed me to get through the King levels with fewer stretches of dumbfounded silence.

Knights is an incredibly cheap game even when it's not on sale, and for the price you get quite a good puzzle timewaster that has a fair amount of replayability, thanks to the daily challenge levels that start in difficulty where the main game leaves off. In fact, I'm kind of surprised Knights doesn't have a mobile version; it seems perfect for very short play sessions. Recommended.

gmMJlO7.png

11h-ish. Tried to be a goody two-shoes, saved
Arcadia Bay

Spoilers unmarked from this point on.

CONTINUE READING <-> DON'T

This action will have consequences...

LiS started like a fairly uninteresting teen drama, and it was like this during most of chapter 1 - until it became something like a Nancy Drew murder mystery set in Twin Peaks. The waterspout from Max's vision doesn't become a reality until late in the game, and feels a bit like an afterthought after all has been said and done, but the writers did a good job integrating it in the main story after the San Francisco impasse.

While the endings are both powerful, saving Arcadia Bay feels more "canon" than saving Chloe, as it's a longer and more complete ending. Saving Chloe feels a bit like a cop-out, even though it thematically might make sense depending on how involved you are with everyone's favourite hipsterpunk girl.

My Score: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Original Post

original post

Game 22: Crash Bandicoot HD (PS4)

I love the simplicity and somewhat NES-esque game design that comes with these incredible modern visuals. There's some minor perception issues in the first game, but they never take the upper hand. While the difficulty jumps are a little arbitrary, the game is never unfair. It's tough, but you're almost always aware of what's coming up - i.e. there's a lack of trial & error. Hence, it's always satisfying and quite a joy overall.

Game 23: Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back HD (PS4)

It has more refined level design than the first game, but thankfully doesn't go overboard with gimmicks like its sequel. It feels quite a bit faster paced in its game design overall, which is great, and the new couple of moves support that feeling perfectly.

Game 24: Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped HD (PS3)

I don't like this game as much nowadays. Its the first game that has controls with analogue in mind, but it's a little too easy and the abundance of vehicle levels drags it down. I think it might be stronger on PS1, where at least the graphics were more impressive for its platform.

ChryZ

29. Nex Machina (Steam, 2017/06/24, 1.7 hours)

There are many twinstick shooters, but few manage to impress as much as Nex Machina. The core gameplay is polished, basic, no frills and super spot on. You transition from "screen" to screen, save the humans, kill all enemies, rinse, repeat. There's the usual crowd control aspect and loads of sensory overload. Housemarque (Super Stardust HD, Resogun, etc) and Eugene Jarvis (Robotron, Smash TV, etc) went all out and the visual voxel mayhem is second to none. The destruction of hostiles and environments is beyond satisfying and such a power trip. The banging synthwave soundtrack just widens the player's grin to a full blown cheshire cat smile. Instant classic. EDIT: 20 hours in, 1CC'd Experienced, Veteran is unbalanced, recovery after continue without powerups almost impossible toward the end.

30. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4, 2017/07/10), 70 hours, 100%, Plat)

I was sceptical about the premise, when the game was first shown. Especially the robo dinos made no sense to me. The game seemed too serious to roll with Saturday morning cartoon dumbness. Let me cut right to the chase, now it makes perfect sense. One of the driving forces in the story is being as clueless as the main character Aloy and the constant discovery in the quest for answers. The unfolding events are told in such cinematic effortless, it's just a joy to follow Aloy, voice acted by the mighty Ashly Burch, through bad and good times. This open-world action RPG felt like a proper fusion of ARPG, WRPG and JRPG. Projectile based combat against machine is a delight and never got old. Destroying machinery, sparks, smoke, piece by piece, continued to be super satisfying. Melee and fighting humans paled in comparison though. Guerrilla Games did a great job filling the sandbox with distractions and life. I've enjoyed all side quests and small NPC side stories. Horizon Zero Dawn was tons of fun, never over stayed its welcome, even after 70 hours, hell of a console exclusive and definitely a PS4 killer app.

31. Samorost 3 (Steam, 2017/07/23, 4.3 hours)

Amanita Design games are such a treat and this one delivered too. The gameplay remains the proven mix of point'n'click adventure and logic puzzles. Everything is solvable and the difficulty just right. The gorgeous art was never this high res and stunning. The characters and worlds are delightfully animated. The game cracked me up so many times with its adorable humor. The stellar audio design and soundtrack are the icing on the cake. I had a blast playing this one.

32. Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt (Steam, 2017/07/23, 1 hour)

This delightful 8bit JRPG with punchy Speccy color palette is FREE?! You are Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt. Healing people is the battle system. It's done by shooting germs and bacteria with pills and syringes. The whole game is pretty brief, but did I mentioned it's free? It's a charming palate cleanser and really free, ehm, FUN too.

[index]

Tizoc

I've completed mostly 99% of the main Puzzles, as the non-hint ones got too tough for me.
Overall it was the usual Picross fare and I enjoyed it.

This game got harder during the later levels, and bosses can hit pretty hard. The latter part is at least a good move so as not to make boss fights overly easy. Speaking of bosses, there is a possibility to run into a random encounter with Bit and Byte who are quite strong unless you know their tactics.
One thing I will give the game is that those that like going for 100% runs may enjoy it as they find the optimum way of getting all items before the final stages are unlocked.

50. Splatoon 2 (5+ hours)
Gasp! A non-Steam game? Anyway, Splatoon 2's campaign is roughly as fun as the first. Its biggest problem is Sheldon forcing you to use specific weapons every time you play a stage for the first time. Some of these weapons can be a real pain to use in some of these stages, though.

Full list to date.

Dryk

Main Post - Part 1
Main Post - Part 2

Main Post - Part 3

#34: Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land: 9.9 hours
What an interesting turn for the Super Mario Land subseries to take. Wario is an interesting spin on a Mario playable character. A bit less agile and with a lot more attack options, it's really easy to see why the shoulder bash is so iconic because it's a really useful skill. The main powerups are all useful and deciding between them is daunting at times, and the level design had gotten very good at this point.

This subseries progressed so much across the life of the Game Boy, it's been an interesting ride taking a look back. Super Mario Land is definitely early and limited but it's two sequels really shine.

Currently playing: Almost finished the Russian campaign of Company of Heroes 2

Falchion

Original Post

30) Spec Ops: The Line - 7 hours - 7/24
I've been wanting to play this for a while based on the positive reception it gets around here so when it went on sale a few weeks ago I picked it up. It was definitely an interesting take on the military shooter and I appreciated how it confronted the player with the consequences of your actions.

Skikkiks

Master Post

Game 20: Kamiko (Switch) | 3 Hours | 07/17/2017 | 3.5/5

I bought a Switch with nothing to play until Splatoon 2 came out, so I played this game in the meanwhile. For the small monetary commitment, it's a fun game. The pixel art is done rather well, and the character designs are cute. It plays like a 2D Zelda game with an arcade twist, heavily reminiscent of Hyper Light Drifter personally; especially one level which shares striking similarities to a HLD level. The game is short, one playthrough with one character will be an hour or so, and subsequent playthroughs will be significantly shorter, but for the price of admission it's worth it as a stopgap for something else.

Game 21: Ovivo (PC) | 2 Hours | 07/17/2017 | 3.5/5

A cool little puzzle platformer. Gameplay is reminiscent of Ibb and Obb with the ability to manually come out the other side, so you bounce between the black and while areas on your whim to preserve your momentum and make big leaps. Artstyle is interesting, minimalist and monochrome. When levels are completed, the camera pans out to show a larger picture where you can see the level you traversed through. Nice, pleasant and short. Worth picking up if your in the mood .

Game 22: Another Story: Raven's Choice (PS4) | ~4 Hours | 07/19/2017 | 3.5/5

This is the Gravity Rush 2 DLC that was made free when they delayed the release. Counting it as its own thing since it's independent of the base game. Overall I enjoyed it. Playing as Raven has its different quirks and I found her as fun to play as Kat. The story is some wacky shit that seems par for the course with the series. The two human size bosses they introduced are fun to play against and the level built around them was good. The other levels can be hit or miss, the lengthy stealth puzzle dungeon especially. Gravity Rush 2 is a game I like a lot so this DLC was a fine excuse to revisit it.

Game 23: Everything (PC) | 5+ Hours | 07/20/2017 | 4.5/5

Everything is a damn cool experience. It's an interesting 2 hour artsy walking simulator that after completing certain objectives and unlocking certain abilities, turns into an incredible living screensaver. The objective based beginning is a lot of fun with a bunch of cool moments but then the game expands as you finish getting all the options. Where the game truly shines is its autoplay function. Should you just stop and not press anything, the game will control itself. The games autoplay is sophisticated enough to be able to play itself from start to finish. The autoplay function has lots of customizations to limit or focus on what you want to to see. It's fun to watch the game just go off on its own and do all sorts of wacky shit to the tune of Alan Watts philosophical lectures while you just sit back and watch it unfold.

Game 24: Disoriented (PC) | 3 Hours | 07/23/2017 | 2.5/5

Another monochrome puzzle game. It's kind of cool. Didn't leave too much of a mark but don't hate it really. A game that exists like any other.

Game 25: Splatoon 2 (Switch) | 8 Hours+ | 07/24/2017| 4/5

This is after just playing the single player, so I have yet to dive into multiplayer too much besides the splatfest, but I enjoyed the single player campaign. It's a good length and the level design is varied across 27 or so levels over 5 worlds. The game is just a lot of fun to play and I can see myself getting addicted to it. There are a few issues with the single player campaign, the upgrades seem ill designed. Not only are upgrades incredibly expensive to get (after a full playthrough I did three upgrades out of a potential 20+) but the first time through every level, they force you into using a weapon, meaning that thing you upgraded you might not even get to use that much unless you're playing the levels eight times for each weapon like a mad man. The story exists and is fine I guess, I don't really connect to the Splatoon aesthetic (art, character design, soundtrack) at all but I can see the appeal. Might bump up the score depending on my multiplayer impressions but I'm happy with it so far.

Main post

-------

30. SiN - 5 hours
Always wanted to play it, but damn, it was really weird and confusing game. Some levels are real mazes, and by modern standards this game is very cryptic. Hell, i played a lot 90's games when i was a kid, but even i stuck in some moments and shamefully used walkthrough guide. Also, SiN really didn't aged well technically, there is no UI scaling and hitboxes become insanely small on widescreen resolutions, and also NPC and guns models look really weird because of some fluctuating effect, like they made from jelly. But it's playable overall, that 90s atmosphere and music worth it.

Main post

-------

31. Stellaris - 37 hours
Huge disappointment, this game is nothing close to greatness of other Paradox games. Gameplay is not deep enough compared to Europa and CK, even Hearts of Iron have more variety than this one. Diplomacy and trading is surprisingly bare and simple, victory conditions are just variations of domination, and once you figure out how things work in this game, after few restarts gameplay become really boring and repetitive. It's good 4X game, but not good Paradox game, lack of depth is not the thing i expected from creators of one of the most complex strategy games.

Main post

Jyaqg9c.png

20 | INSIDE | PC
Time: 5 hours
Score: 8/10

INSIDE is a great game. The environments you traverse through all look great and in combination with the colour scheme a certain sense of unease is evoked. While not too difficult, the puzzles are usually really well done. I also liked how the game kept you in the dark as to the motivations of the child which ties in really well with the narrative. The last stage truly cements INSIDE as a must play game for me.

VztJSyp.png

21 | Resident Evil VII | PC
Time: 11 hours
Score: 7/10

After 7 hours of playing I was ready to give Resident Evil VII a really high score. I loved exploring the mansion, getting to meet the members of the family and the resource management. But sadly it went downhill from there on out and the game gradually turned into a first person shooter. As the plot unraveled, I became less and less impressed with the game. Still, I am unlikely to forget those first 7 hours of tense exploration, boss battles and puzzles. The first game I played this year was Resident Evil I, my first entry in the series. VII plays on the same strengths as I but also gets trapped in the same pitfalls. Overall I liked the Spencer Mansion more as it felt more intricate than the Baker Mansion. Resident Evil VII is a game with two faces for me, one amazing part and one forgettable part. I really hope they can improve upon the formula for the successor.

Dyna

My main post.

VhWm0SR.png

22 | The Typing of the Dead: Overkill | PC
3.5 hours | Completed July 7th

Eh... A bit conflicted on this one. I really liked the core gameplay, it's fun to terminate zombies by typing big words as fast as possible, and the whole grindhouse theme is pretty fun at first but man... I didn't like the characters at all. I get that they're supposed to be these over-the-top stereotypes and parodies but I just didn't find any of that shit funny. The whole game feels more like, say, the Sharknado movies rather than Black Dynamite for example. The story was super whatever too. The boss fights and some of the levels were neat but that's about it. It's originally a Wii game so it looks like shit and I noticed some texture pop-ins etc. every now and then. Nothing game breaking though. I don't know, I guess it's cool and all and I'm sure it can actually improve your typing skills but I don't think it's as good as people say. It's nice that they added the regular House of the Dead: Overkill in the game too though. I guess I'd still recommend it though purely for the gameplay.

FODRIMp.png

23 | LYNE | PC
30 hours | Completed July 24th

Relaxing little puzzle game. I mostly played this while watching SGDQ/YouTube videos, listening to podcasts etc. and it's pretty much perfect for something like that. All you do in the game is draw lines from point A to point B but it's still pretty fun figuring the levels out. The game basically has an infinite amount of content because there are daily puzzle sets in addition to the base sets so you'll definitely get your money's worth. Oh yeah and the game practically costs nothing, I think it was like 70 cents during the Steam summer sale and that's not too far off the normal price. Only complaint I have is that the sets stop getting more difficult after a while. But yeah, can't go wrong with this one if you like light, minimal puzzle games.

Tizoc

0qoZHTT.jpg

This is a port of the SNES ver. originally released in 1998 on the SNES.
It reuses assets from the PSOne Rockman 8 game but is otherwise a completely different game than 8. Furthermore, it's balls to the walls hard.
OK it starts fine, Coldman isn't that much of a challenge, but due to the small screen size it can make reacting to boss actions pretty tough.
The overall stages tend to get rather long but have a good variety of challenges along the way.
The one major gripe I have with the game is the audio which is pretty botched due to the hardware of the GBA, as the original SNES audio is superb.

Thinking about its difficulty, it makes me wonder how the team behind this game ever thought kids could beat this game. It's on some Contra level shit here.

Regardless though, I find it to be a rather solid game, with superb visuals and its original soundtrack is fantastic.

If ever you can play the original SNES ver. of the game, do so, but the GBA ver. is servicable.

E4pl5CD.png

9:15h.

Ori is truly something else. Under the guise of a kid's tale, it combines an absolutely stunning art style (both graphics and music) with some of the finest, hardest platforming I've ever seen and a story that, while simple, tugs at your heartstrings, particularly if you've got kids of your own. This is one of those games one simply must play.

My Score: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

Original Post

Spyware

Haven't posted in a while. Oops. Luckily I've been playing some huge games lately so I don't have to post 20-ish games at once :D

B6xndMk.png

Just Cause 2 - PC - Beaten June 22
My SO has been playing this a lot and when I watched him play it looked like a game for me. Just sandbox chaos, destuction and fun. But I didn't actually like it much. After running around for a while I just decided to finish the story and move on to other games. Pretty bummed about it.​

v8pWkVA.png

What Remains of Edith Finch - PC - Completed June 26
I don't really know what to say. It has great gameplay and great storytelling. Definitely a unique experience and I love all the great ideas in this game. But I guess I didn't really click with it because people keep saying that they got so emotional and whatevs, and I didn't feel a thing.​

ZHQoxjk.png

Glass Masquerade - PC - Completed June 26
What a little GEM! I got this in my discovery queue during the Steam sale and instantly bought it because it looked nice. And wow, I loved it. Easy, pretty and with a great idea. If you like jigsaws you need to play this.​

Gj9yrh2.png

A Normal Lost Phone - PC - Completed June 27
To say anything about the story would spoil the whole thing. I think it is pretty weird that you are encouraged to invade someone's privacy like this, but I guess it's really no different from games that award you for shooting someone in the face. I wouldn't do either in real life. Anyway, it's sad that the people who would need to read the stuff in this game would never do so. Instead it felt like the game is preaching to the choir.​

uLaKWrK.png

Submerged - PC - Completed June 27
Another little gem. I really enjoyed this calm adventure. The protagonist is an amazing little girl that has to save her dying brother. She needs to travel around the half-submerged city to find supplies, which means rowing around in a boat and climbing tall buildings and towers. The game has a basic photo mode that made me take a bunch of screenshots. You can see my favs here. :)

YgRxR91.png

The Fidelio Incident - PC - Completed June 28
A "walking sim" with pretty graphics and an interesting story to uncover. You know, the standard stuff. I enjoyed both the walking part and the unveiling of the story. Not much more to say really.​

9QjRCi5.png

Stories Untold - PC - Completed June 28
Ugh. I wish I could have four parts that play like the great The House Abandon instead of what this game actually is. I did enjoy the other 3 parts too but not nearly as much. I've seen people hate on the last episode but I liked it more than the second and third. Ohwell. All in all I'm disappointed but it is an interesting game for sure.​

c0MNkJs.png

Orwell - PC - Completed June 30
A very fascinating experience about opinions, big brother surveillance and the reasoning behind some extreme ideas. The writing isn't that great but the story unfolds in an interesting way and I felt like I really wanted to see how my choices affected everything. Played it three times and had a great time.​

TaldOZl.png

Valley - PC - Completed July 1
I don't even know how I stumbled upon this one. Either the discovery queue or a GAF recommendation. I had no idea what it was about or how it played and just impulse bought it without looking it up properly. Apparently Steam refunds make me stupid. But no worries, I really liked it! Cool atmosphere and some really fun gameplay. The start is quite slow but it gets better and better.​

g1jMinp.png

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - PC - Completed July 12
I'm done! I'm actually done! The Dark Soul is mine and Chancellor Wellager can put his Bountiful Sunlight somewhe.... nevermind. I actually loved this game, aside from the DLCs. By the end of Crown of the Old Iron King I was so burned out and tired of it that I took a break that lasted months.
But then I decided I had to get past the hurdle and swept through everything, finishing my first run. Then I spent a day playing both NG+ and the parts I needed to reach Wellager in NG++. Steam tells me I spent 189 hours with this game. Funnily enough it tells me that the time I spent with the first Dark Souls is... 189 hours! Hah! The first is a bit better but I adored most of this too. I'm hyped for Bloodborne and Dark Souls III now.
Also, I really loved the characters I made in this game so I feel the need to share them :p (extremely minor spoilers)​

6ipcuNU.png

Stardew Valley - PC - Beaten July 18
Decided I'm done with this for a while, I only have some extremely grindy achievements left and don't feel like burning myself out to get it done right now. I played through two years in the game and got the highest candle rating and that feels like a worthy ending for now. Amazing little game I have to say. I was interested since a long time ago but I started it now due to a friend streaming it and it looked really good. It was and I am so happy it exists!​

----------------
Master Post

Main post part 1

-------

32. Alien Shooter - 2 hours
Good old Alien Shooter. I was looking for small fun game for lunch break and it perfectly fits for this purpose. Fast top-down shooter with role-playing elements, really easy to pick up and complete in one go.

33. Lost Planet™: Extreme Condition - 7 hours
This game is so painfully mediocre. It had potential, but execution is really disappointing - gameplay is frustrating, graphics didn't aged well, story is hilariously dumb. Also, fuck this save system when it saves your progress only when you click "exit to menu" button, i was forced to play entire mission again because i exit the game by using Alt+F4.

34. Prey - 30 hours
My current GOTY 2017. Prey is something else, it's league ahead of everything I've played in past few years. It's still hard to believe how much content in this game, and it's even more impressive that 70-80% of this content is easily missable. I never thought that I'll see the day when newly released game will surpass System Shock 2, but it looks like Prey did this. Yeah, game is not perfect, several times in story-heavy moments characters started to talk at the same time and it was impossible to understand what are they saying, and also backtracking in last hours of the game was kinda pointless. But it still was very close to perfect game for me, it's like System Shock 2 but with more social element and huge open locations. It's tragic that Prey 2017 didn't get the recognition it deserves.

35. Cinders - 7 hours
Nice visual novel with 4 endings including multiply different end conditions variations. Story is another cinderella fairy tale variation, nothing really phenomenal but good enough and there is a lot choices to make. Have offline achievements and skip mode to quickly do new walkthroughs and see all endings.

36. Blackwell Unbound - 2 hours
Second game from Blackwell series, also a prequel. Engine is still buggy and dated shit (1280x960 resolution max, Tab button causing crashes and glitches, but at least it playble in windowed mode), but story was worth it. Also, it's kinda short, even without walkthrough it can be finished in 2 hours, but that's a big issue imo. Puzzles and logic was mostly fine, but there is some places that might require you to look for hint in guides.

37. Medal of Honor: Airborne - 4 hours
This game didn't aged well, really boring and repetitive AAA blockbuster. Airdrop with parachute is an interesting idea, but it's pointless because levels are very small not providing any tactical variety. AI is extremely stupid, shooting is not fun, story is just bunch of random scripted scenes and briefings before missions. Airborne was barely interesting 10 years ago, and there absolutely no reason to play it now.

38. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - System Rift - 4 hours
Didn't played Mankind Divided since last year, decided to play remaining standalone DLCs after upgrading my GPU. It was great to finally play this game with stable 60 FPS so i can't complain much about DLC content. Yes, it's just a small addition to main Mankind Divided gameplay loop, nothing special, but i enjoyed exploring another Prague district. Ready for "A Criminal Past"!

39. Mahjongg Investigations: Under Suspicion - 9 hours
Another casual mahjongg game, but with a twist. You play as a detective, every case contains several mahjongg boards you need to complete in order to find criminals. Some tiles giving clues and new info about suspects, and after you gather enough evidences you can issue warrant - if you were right, you'll +10 points to &#822;G&#822;r&#822;y&#822;f&#822;f&#822;i&#822;n&#822;d&#822;o&#822;r&#822; your reputation, if not than you'll lose some points. There is also several minigames, even Tetris-style one, but game quickly becomes repetitive. It's not bad if you play it in small portions, like every casual game.

40. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - A Criminal Past - 7 hours
While "System Rift" was good, but passable DLC, "A Criminal Past" is exactly what i wanted, an old-school expansion in completely new environment and included nice standalone story with some meaningful choices. Really nice variety of paths and overall atmosphere, reminded me about The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. Definitely a must-have DLC if you like Deus Ex universe and stealth games in general.

41. Sakura Spirit - 2 hours
Really boring VN with one meaningless choice near the end and ridiculous "that was just a prologue, buy more our games!" ending. Not worth it even for lewd artworks, you can see them for free in Steam user guides if that's what interest you in this "game".

42. Fantasy Wars - 19 hours
Good TBS game, originally released in 2007. If you like strategy game and Fantasy General specifically, you should definitely check it out. It's really hard and challenging even on "easy" difficulty, AI never miss a chance to screw you over and always targeting your most vulnerable and important units.

43. Peggle Deluxe - 3 hours
This game is officially my second PopCap game i've ever managed to finish. First one was PvZ, i tried to beat Zuma lately but it's still frigging hard and stressful for me. On the other hand, Peggle is much more relaxing game, no goddamn time limits is huge makes a huge difference.

44. Overlord - 14 hours
Fuck level designers of this game, fuck console save system, fuck final chapters and bosses. Brilliant concept, garbage gameplay execution! I can't remember last time i was so PISSED OFF because of singleplayer game, i could understand reasonable difficulty and challenge, but in this game designers got so many things wrong, it's just ridicilous! Last hours almost completely devalued everything good this game has, like story and atmosphere. The more you progress, the more game slowly turning into a chore, last parts of the game are big 1+ hour levels, filled with permadeath monsters and traps, WITHOUT EVEN A SINGLE SAVE. I played 14 hours, but it felt like 30+ hours game, overbloated with idiotic design decisions. Prime example how amazing concept could be ruined by terrible design and controls.

46. RIP 1 - 1 hour
Very primitive 10 year old game, basically Crimsoland meets Beach Head. It's possible to finish in one go and it comes bundled with two other standalone chapters, but gameplay is too boring, so i finished RIP 1 and not going to play the rest in near future.

47. Agents of Mayhem - 42 hours
Despite all issues. it's a good game after all, i played it for over 40 hours and had a lot fun. Devs and publisher failed not just show this game properly, but also explain main gameplay features and why it plays good. For example, they didn't bothered much to explain that agents is not just different skins and voice packs, every agent have specialties and different weapons, and they plays completely differently to each other, it affects your playstyle a lot. They also failed to showcase city, it's really beautiful place but for some reason game always trying to send you in randomly generated dungeons, which is baffling - why you need to do this, why you can't focus on the sights of your city instead? And yes, lack of co-op is really surprising, even though i prefer SP-only approach, it's obvious that all that procedurally generated content is perfect match for online, so that leads to another confusion for potential buyers who thought that game is entirely MP. Seriously, this game had one of the most disastrous marketing campaigns ever, it could've sale fairly better if publisher bothered to spent time on properly pushing it.

48. Clive Barker's Jericho - 6 hours
Really nice old school AAA game with lovely QTE and "squad command" gimmicks. First half of the game was pretty boring and forgettable, but those roman empire themed levels is where this game shines. Also, character models and effects still looking surprisingly good, while levels themselves didn't aged well.

49. World in Conflict - 8 hours
One of the best RTS games i've ever played, a highest point of genre. Honestly I didn't expected anything like this, i knew this game was good, but i never imagined it was SO good. Unexpectedly engaging story with interesting characters, great level design, perfect balance and gameplay. Now i want sequel, but i guess it would never happen since Ubisoft hates RTS genre and forced devs of this gem to create a goddamn The Division.

50. Cold War - 6 hours
Solid old-school Splinter Cell clone, far from perfect and sometimes annoying, but mostly good. Story is pure comedy though.

51. 7 Wonders of the Ancient World - 3 hours
Classic casual match-3 game from 2007, and just as other old casual games, it works only in 800x600 resolution. Very short, it's possible to finish this game in one go, but that doesn't mean it's bad, of course.

52. Dark Matter - 4 hours
Good small space shooter with great soundtrack in 90's techno style.

Tizoc

header.jpg

This is a Megaman-like game originally released on the 3DS and then ported to Steam.
I used to get stuck at the 7th level's boss even with all upgrades from the shop. I decided to replay it on Easy just to see how it ends, and was surprised to find that there was a final 8th level as well!
Stages are overall easy long as you don't rush and know how to move across a stage to avoid the enemies that attack back. Bosses offer a good challenge, but on Easy they get taken down faster due to their lower health.
While I did not like the artstyle, I did enjoy the game overall and it is of a perfect length and can be beaten in under 2 hours.

header.jpg

The 2nd game is just a bigger version of the first game: There are more bosses and more upgrades, but I feel they went the wrong way with the upgrades. For one thing I don't see any reason to upgrade my EXP gain 10 levels for, when it could've done fine by upgrading it 5 times. Least this way I'd dedicate more EXP to my other upgrades.
Overall I preferred the first game, but if one wants more Dark Witch, it's worth getting into.

Shadax84

Neo Member
28. VVVVVV - 4 Hours

header.jpg

Platform: PC (Steam)
Completition Date: 22.7.2017
Rating: 8 / 10

After quite some time with this little gem in my steam library, i decided it was time that i give it a try. And I was really surprised what a fresh take on the jump and run genre this is. The gravity manipulation is something not seen in the genre until then.
It is very interesting to just explore the "open-world", there is always something to explore, wether you go find some missing crew members which is your main mission or you find some trinkets.
The next thing this game masters is the soundtrack. Of course it's 8-bit, just like the graphic but it is everything from driving to relaxing to fascinating.
The game has also great controls, but only if you play with a joypad.
Later on it gets challenging to advance, but it is never unfair.
I completed the game at around 3,8 Hours and didn't collect every trinket.
There is also a level editor which will keep me hooked for quite a few hours plus.
So, all in all i can really recommend this short but innovative game.

8 / 10

Up next: Zelda - BotW (1 Titan missing)

Tizoc

tqrFN3u.jpg

I'm using the PSOne cover just because it's whack.
All I'm gonna say about this game is that Suda51 was on some special crack when he came up with this plot.

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
OP

oB6qHLj.jpg

NES Classic

So yeah, this is the very first NES Classic game I've actually cleared, despite owning it for 7 months. I'm really not going to review Super Mario Bros. but I will say this, I have always struggled to legit clear this game, but after spending the past month or so on Crash Bandicoot, it really sharpened my skills up and seemed a helluva lot easier this time around.
6/10

Main post part 2

-------

33. Lost Planet™: Extreme Condition - 7 hours
This game is so painfully mediocre. It had potential, but execution is really disappointing - gameplay is frustrating, graphics didn't aged well, story is hilariously dumb. Also, fuck this save system when it saves your progress only when you click "exit to menu" button, i was forced to play entire mission again because i exit the game by using Alt+F4.

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
OP

aZUrHmR.jpg

Xbox 360

This is the first time I've revisited this since its original release, and I love it just as much as I did the first time round. The writing and comedy is absolutely on the button with tongue firmly pressed into cheek. Stephen Merchant is absolutely hilarious and the quite sad backstory of GLaDOS is so subtle, you may not actually notice it. The puzzle elements are tricky, but so fulfilling when you work them out. Absolutely no handholding through the game, I honestly believe this to be one of the greatest games made, especially for its generation.
9/10

original post

Game 25: The Legend of Zelda II: Adventure of Link (NES)

I've finally given this title a full try. It takes some time, but once the game clicks, it can be a blast. Particularly once you realize that button mashing won't get you anywhere. The combat is not only much better than in the first Zelda game, it might be the best in series period. Boss fights in particular can be more tense than every other one in the series. The exploration is still decent, though not as much in the spotlight as in Zelda 1. Progress is satisfying, but I sadly had to use a guide at the very end, when some of this shit suddenly became too cryptic to figure out. If you play without save states, starting over after a Game Over can be slightly tedious and the random encounters a little annoying if play too long. But that goes away after you take a break. Still a great game overall.

Game 26: Wario Land (GB, replay)

I finished some open savefile while watching a movie. It's always been an okay platformer, for which mostly its fun artstyle stands out. Secrets are hidden fairly, but the system for multiple endings was always broken. The amount of money you need for the best ending is just impossible to get without using save states during bonus games constantly. And even then it might sitll require some grinding.

OP

15: The Order: 1886 [PS4] - 8h
The-Order-1886-banner.jpg

It was a short game, but very enjoyable. The story was interesting, the lore was awesome, gameplay was solid. There were some missed opportunities for sure, but overall I really liked it.

For me, for the price I've payed and the expectations I had, it's an 8/10.

16: Ratchet & Clank [PS4] - 12h
banner_1651.jpg

This reboot of a franchise I really love, is the definition of fun in videogame format. Even though I would love the 60fps that prior games offered, the game is absolutely fantastic.

Insanely close to perfection - 9.5/10.

17:Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4] - 16h
Uncharted-4-banner-695x264.jpg

I had little expectations for this game, Uncharted has always been a franchise that, to me, is the blockbuster of the gaming world, and that's awesome, but it would never be as memorable as, for example, The Last of Us.
But this game caught me by surprise, insanely good gameplay, amazing story, jaw-dropping sequences and vistas, and a surprisingly good multiplayer. This game has it all.

If the pacing was better, it would be a 10 - 9.5/10.

18:F.E.A.R [PC] - 12h
fear_banner91-50387-full.jpeg

This game is awesome, the story is told normally through exploration, the gameplay is brilliant, the graphics are good (the game is kinda old, and it shows in the graphics department), the A.I. is the best I've ever compete against.

Every encounter was meaningful, the only thing that could've been much better is the story, it's very forgettable.

For me, gets a 8.5/10.

18:inFamous: Second Son [PS4] - 15h
infamoussecondsonbanner.jpg

One of the first PS4 games I've played, I always enjoy the infamous games, so again, Sucker Punch doesn't disappoint, great game. Even though the story is mediocre, I actually grew to care about the characters and enjoyed my journey with this game.
Really interested to give the standalone DLC a try.

For me, it gets a 8/10.

19:Halo 3: ODST [XB360] - 7h
1-760px-Halo_3_ODST_Banner.png

I enjoy play every Halo because I do it splitscreen. This game was cool. Halo never was a big deal to me, and this game doesn't change that, it's fun though.

A cool 7.5/10.

19:What Remains of Edith Finch [PC] - 2h
75037_banner.jpg

I would not dare to spoil this game, even though "Walking Simulators" aren't my thing, this game changes explores the idea of walking simulator with actual gameplay entwined with the story. What an emotional and beautiful ride.
There was one of the stories that I still remember and will probably never forget.

Amazing, 9/10.

20:P.T. [PS4] - 2h
pi1UguS.jpg

I don't care if this isn't a full game, there are indies that take this long.
Obviously I didn't dare to play this alone, I had friend to play with me, this fucked up experience that master Kojima created is just insane. I cannot imagine a full game based on this, I would probably not play it though.

Concise perfection, 10/10.

20:Call of Duty: Black Ops [PC] - 8h
a67989fc-c93b-96eb-934b-9ed0e85ed747-banner.jpg

There were only 3 Call of Duty games I haven't played - Ghosts (which I never will), World at War and Black Ops.
It was time, the story was actually amazing, the characters awesome and the gameplay solid as always from CoD. I was very surprised by this game.

9/10

21:Killzone: Shadow Fall [PS4] - 11h
killzone-shadow-fall-announce-banner.jpg

It's killzone, I knew what was coming and I enjoyed it, story with a lot of misses but gameplay was ultimately enjoyable and the graphics good.
Wish the game could shoot for the 60fps though, it would have been an overall smoother experience. The multiplayer was surprisingly good.

7/10

22: Assassin's Creed -- (replay #2) [PS3] - 15h
1_Assassins_Creed_Banner_01.jpg

Playing through all the AC now, or until I get bored, so far so good. The community on reddit has been awesome.
The first entry to this franchise was never my favorite, but I did enjoy this playthrough more than the first one.

6.5/10

Blindy

Got quite a bit to make up from a posting perspective so I will post in groups of 3!

arms.jpg

33) ARMS(Nintendo Switch) 6/16-6/17, 6/26

(1st Nintendo Switch game from my list, proud owner back in early June 2017!)

Not going to lie......I honestly thought I would get much more mileage out of this game but ARMS is a game that suffers a little something that nowadays sadly tons of multiplayer games end up suffering from, not enough content Day 1. Yeah there’s different characters that have their different set of moves but for the most part, the ARM usage remains the same. The story line doesn’t really change much up for each character besides shallow dialogue, there’s a stage for each character that is admittedly quite different from one another which is always appreciated, but really besides that, there’s just not too much content to be had with the game which is going to make this game rely upon the gameplay to carry the way ala Overwatch and not Street Fighter V for me last year.

And the game does succeed in such but sadly, at least for me…..this just isn’t a game that I can spend myself getting lost to. I totaled over 5 hours in between story mode, the online friendlies and of course ranked(Got to Rank 5, Red Ribbon Army FTW). What is great about the game is the ability to just jump in anytime and sort of get an easy feel of the game but what was frustrating is this game is very rough with the motion controls/joycons and it is essential to play with the Pro Controller as you’d more accurately get the inputs you are hoping to get, especially in ranked. Very curious decision to not have the block button on the pro controller as the shoulder buttons and the inability to change the controls to make it cater towards what you want is a very suspect decision. However if you can get past the ranked mode of this game, I can definitely see some getting lost in quick bursts with how easy it is to get into the game but I can’t stress enough the need of a pro controller to really do well with this game.

Recommended? Yay or Nay?

Overall the game accomplishes what it sets out to do and it is to be a perfect party game with some deepness in the mechanics if you can devout the time into doing such. There’s tons of fun to be had but I don’t know if this game has much longevity, especially if the updates aren’t coming in frequent waves. I never found this game to be a game I would lost an entire weekend day with but I do appreciate the simpleness of the basic mechanics where I can come back to said game a few months down the road and not be overwhelmed. Can’t knock the game but maybe I expected more from the game and thought this would be this year’s perennial multiplayer game much like Rocket League and Overwatch were in 2015 and 2016 respectively.

Mighty_No._9_cover_art.jpg

34) Mighty No.9(PS4) 6/27-6/28

Maybe it’s because I was not a kickstarter backer for this game but the game was nowhere near as bad as most make it out to be. Now there are certainly problems with the game like the lack of health outside of set health points and if you die, and there are way too many cheap one hit KO deaths like instant spikes and this ridiculously cheap electric hazard that it represents the lone time you’d need to slide (Except the perspective of needing to do this is very deceiving where you need to nearly touch the hazard to do enough of a slide to get fully past the hazard) that get frustrating. The game also does not tell you specifically things like the use of a subtank unless you go out of your way to go through menus so honestly up until the very last boss, I hadn’t used a single subtank to beat these bosses and hardly used their weakness which in a way ramped up the difficulty to make it fairly challenging. Yeah the music doesn’t touch Mega Man and in pure comparison with a Mega Man game, there’s no contest but as a stand alone game, the game isn’t necessarily bad. The game is average but I can’t say at any point despite the final boss being a chore to get to and to beat that this game was terrible.

I admittedly raged but I thought for the price I got the game at(6 dollars was it at a previous PSN sale?) that I got my money’s worth and while the game may not be perfect, I still found the game for the couple of hours it lasted to be worthwhile. The game borrows a lot of aspects that Mega Man games often had of 8 robot masters with their weakness being another robot master’s ability but what this game does well is it gives some life and actual importance with these robot masters by having them interfere with another’s stage and make things much easier by doing this. The charging ability is pretty neat and it led to some pretty cool fights with normal enemies and I think that was a rather nice change up.

Recommended? Yay or Nay?

I say yay.....yes a yay but get it for a very affordable price and nothing more. I got this on a PSN sale of about 6 bucks and I think I got my money's worth. Game was alright and nothing more, nothing less. Again I totally see if you kickstarted this game and expected this game to be the next Mega Man that this game would swing and massively miss. This game is average but I knew heading in this game would be average which sort of eased the cushion of my overall feelings of said game.

header.jpg

35) Shovel Knight: Spectre of Torment(3DS) 6/21-6/22, 6/28-6/29

The old adage goes, “Sometimes less is more” and boy is that the case ever for the Shovel Knight franchise. I as so captivated enough with Shovel Knight that it was my GOTY back in 2014, everything went too smoothly with the game. It was a good retro title but it didn’t just rely on it being retro to be so quality, and it had enough challenge but wasn’t overwhelmingly crushing. It had some really fun tunes, a decent enough simple story but most of all the game was simple from a game mechanics standpoint, especially once you have the pogo shovel gimmick down to pat. You felt like you were in control of all your actions, you knew what would and would not work and it was easy enough to get. I cannot say the same when I tried Plague of Shadows as the bouncing gimmick that game featured was far too much for me and in a game that stresses tight jumps and needing to be pinpoint, Yacht Club Games made what should be such a simple mechanic end up being too complex for my liking.

So I was hesitant in trying Spectre of Torment. On one hand, the game does offer some new innovation such as slashing your way diagonally through levels and there is a decent and simple enough story behind the game and the game does offer tons of different versions of the stages that the original Shovel Knight had. However, on the other hand this game ends up complicating the navigation through the story where you have to specifically be at a certain angle in order to get your command. There will be times you die where you mean to press a certain button but because you weren’t positioned well enough, you end up dying and not getting the command you meant to do. The wall jumping on paper sounds awesome as that’s not a feature the original Shovel Knight has but the execution comes off very bad, and in particular there were two instances where it was a struggle alone to come up on the platform. Game should have allowed you to walk on the entire portion of the wall and not only have 2 seconds worth before falling off in my honest opinion.

Recommended? Yay or Nay?

Yay if you are getting it free as apart of buying either Shovel Knight Day one or getting the currently expansion

Nay if you are buying it stand alone.

I think the game is alright but it doesn’t hold a candle to the original which was phenomenal, but hey I got this for free so who am I to complain? The game ran me 6 hours and there is certainly challenge to this game and some optional side content to go with it so I would say the game is worth it, it just isn’t as good as the original and the game falls under the “It tries too much” scenario which hampered this game from being alright towards being great.

OP.

---

ft9uglW.png

Game 25 - 1954 Alcatraz (PC) - 3/5 - 6 hours

Starting to chip away at my enormous Steam library that has built over the years while I didn't have a decent PC. I was in the mood for a point and click game so this was up.

Not a lot to say about this one. It was pretty solid but it isn't anything groundbreaking. If you don't like point and click adventure games it won't be changing your mind but if you don't mind them it isn't a bad way to spend some time. The setting was interesting at least.

HsEssJx.png

Game 26 - Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PS1) - 4/5 - 3 hours, 2 minutes *

Played this for the first time on arrange difficulty mode. I honestly intend to never do that again. Not so much due to the item placement switch-ups, but the enemies seemed a lot faster and to hit a lot harder? I just had a miserable time with a decent chunk of this difficulty wise.

I still think there's something to say towards this possibly being one of, if not the best RE titles. The mansion setting is absolutely amazing and everything comes together to make an atmosphere that hasn't really been matched by anything else I've seen.

I really wish Capcom would make this, 2, 3, and CVX available on Steam.

tOW8M57.png

Game 27 - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA) - 4/5 - 19 hours, 45 minutes

Started playing this before I heard about the 3DS port and decided to just finish up since I wasn't a fan of the art style shift.

This was pretty great. I don't think I prefer it to any of the other Mario RPGs I've played (Paper Mario, TTYD, a bit of Super Mario RPG) but it was better than I had originally thought. It does overstay its welcome quite a bit near the end with some of the fetch quest type stuff (this doesn't bode well for the other games for the series as they seem to be much longer than this one?) but I enjoyed most of my time with this.

The last boss was an extreme difficulty spike, though. I did it with a ~cheap method (using the badges where you deal more damage with having more mushrooms in your inventory) and even still barely managed to scrape by. I'd hate to have tried it without this or at a lower level.

GzNoTvn.png

Game 28 - Resident Evil 2 (PS1) - 4.5/5 - 2 hours, 43 minutes *

Even more RE series replaying. Went for Leon A as I just wanted to get through and onto the other games. I'm trying to get up to Revelations so I can play that when the PS4 port drops.

Reconsidering my view of this as my least favorite of 1-3. I enjoyed this recent playthrough a lot and the soundtrack here is the best in the series with 1. Leon is still annoying though. :)

y9AkyRh.png

Game 29 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS4) - 4/5 - 39 hours, 40 minutes

Wow, I absolutely loved this one. I honestly don't think there's anywhere for the FF series to go but down for me now. The world design, battle system, and such here were right up my alley and everything hit the right spots. I absolutely hated Vaan (even more than some seem to hate Tidus) and even that wasn't enough to drag this down for me. I loved Balthier, Fran, and Basch so much.

I do want to say that I might not have enjoyed this as much if it wasn't for some of the QoL improvements this remaster made. The 2x and 4x speed options were a lifesaver when trying to gain levels or lp, traveling large distances, or things of the sort. I did some level grinding not too long in because I usually hit a wall in RPGs and didn't want that to happen but I kinda overleveled and it was easy sailing through the end. I'm very glad I finally played this.

Late game dialogue spoiler:
"Don't interrupt me, Vaan"
is the most iconic line delivery I've ever heard in a video game.

Blindy

tumblr_olhuuwphtW1vlxoi7o1_400.gif

36) Crash Bandicoot 1 Remaster(PS4) 6/30-7/1

(I'll count each game as a separate game because in the case of 2 and 3, I essentially 100% them besides the relic races in 2 and getting gold or better in 3)

Not going to lie when this was announced 1-2 years ago in one of Sony's conferences about this remaster, not only did I know I was going to support this with a preorder and Day one purchase but I was legitimately counting the days until this game was unleashed for all to play, enjoy and rage at. It was a long climb to the end of June but when this bad boy arrived in the mail, boy was I hooked. All of the nostalgia came back to me all at once. With the 1st installment, I remembered it the most because it was the only 3 that I played just a few years back when I first got my PS3 to just get the fun back of this great series on the PS1.

Yeah it's a game filled with cheap deaths but good god is this game still grand or what? Not going to lie, I was in absolute awe just seeing such simple changes such as Crash's reaction to the boulders, and there's no doubt Vicarious Visions did such a bang up job. So happy this game is selling like hot cakes, the Crash fans and fans of good platforming pulled through in the biggest way(Hope Sonic Mania can get the same support!). This game is made easier with the generous checkpoints and also with not having to destroy all the crates in one go and not punishing you for dying but at the same time you still have to go for broke and do a no death run of a stage to get the vaunted colored gems in this game so this game still holds up as the most difficult of the trilogy. Now admittedly the hit boxes will take time to adjust, and in particular some stages(Looking at you final boss!) the hitboxes will make you simply scratch your head and the jumping is very iffy where you think you make said jump but you scrape off to your death but much like with any hard platformer, you can adjust and within minutes you will begin to get it. As someone who played all 3 of these games going back to as a little kid, maybe outside of The High Road(No rope shenanigans here!), no stage really ruined me but again I did not 100% this game. There's just too much frustration to go around, especially the colored gem runs but credit to those who stick it out and do such.

I will add that I finished Stormy Ascent not too long ago from publishing this writeup here on GAF and boy that stage took me an hour and half to finish. I got all the boxes and got the gem so I am satisfied with that but god bless the people who want the platinum of this stage because my goodness. You need to be pinpoint accurate on the timing of the bounces and platform jumps. Big credit to Activision for putting that stage as free for the first month.

Recommended? Yay or Nay?

Great game all around, yeah it's somewhat hard especially for 1st timers but I think the game is more than fair in its difficulty, there are far tougher games out there than Crash 1. Not to say I am perfect or anything but I got one game over in my entire playthrough and I am even disappointed in myself with that one. So happy more people get to experience what was and is a great trilogy of platformers, so happy for Activision to finally have the smarts to put out Crash 1 in cohesion with Sony's marketing and having a talented team like Vicarious Visions nail Crash 1.

tumblr_oqmy6tiMBr1vlxoi7o7_400.gif

37) Crash Bandicoot 2 Remaster(PS4) 7/1-7/2, 7/4

Of the 3 games, I remember this one the least given it was the biggest drought of time since I originally played this game. I had at least played the original back in 2012 when I first got my PS1 so there was still some familiarity but this game it had been almost 2 decades since I played this so this was somewhat fresh in my mind. The additions of the slide(Which took a bit of time to perfect) and body slam were neat and I thought some of the stages were well done. I happen to get all of the gems in this one and boy there were some stages that required you to backtrack blindly into harm's way given the game's camera layout which often led to death falls or getting whacked by an enemy I did not finish off in my 1st initial run at the level. The reward of getting all the gems wasn't very satisfying IMO so I was pretty letdown over the reveal of it but overall the game was really good and I got a good amount of challenge in the platforming. The bosses were much easier in this than in the 1st game which can be seen as a good or bad thing pending on how you look at it.

Recommended? Yay or Nay?

Great game, great remaster of it. All around, we are 2 for 2 in this N Sane Trilogy extravaganza, can Warped carry the torch home to victory?

21c.gif

38) Crash Bandicoot 3 Remaster(PS4) 7/4-7/6, 7/8

So can Vicarious Visions nail it and go 3 for 3 with this N Sane Trilogy? Yes, yes they can! Yeah this game can be a turn off because of the lack of platforming but over time, I grew to just nail all the races and jetski levels and animal buddy riding. Of the 3, this game gave me the least troubles but in 2017, I can say I clearly underestimated this game as I died much more in this game that I would like to have. Going for the 104%(Screw getting the final gem) really made me work for it, especially the relic runs where I say I got more gold relics than sapphire and even snuck in a couple of platinum ones too for good measure. Even though Coco Bandicoot could be used in Crash 1(Cool feature) and Crash 2, this was Coco's debut in the series and boy she shined in her exclusive levels with her heartwarming catch after a fail of Pura the Tiger and her disappointment of you after you fail in a jetski level. Her getting her own boss is cool beans too.

Recommended? Yay or Nay?

Altogether, what a great remaster of 3 classic games and as a big Crash Bandicoot fan, after finishing this game, I could not have been more happy. What an easy purchase for big Crash fans and for platforming fans too. Non-platforming fans who can be easily enraged over missed jumps and cheap deaths might not be as gun ho to buy this game but besides that, if you know heading into this game that this isn't going to be a pushover of a series, I think you will enjoy the reward that this game will give you. Whether you go for the 100% or not, I think this game will give you some thrills, kills and overall fun.

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
OP

OJk4Ii9.jpg

Playstation 4

For me, this is the ultimate game of two halves. It starts out as a basic platform, akin to Limbo. I really like the art style and the story it is telling of the Inuit people. I also love the parts of the documentary that are cut in to explain exactly what's going on. Then the second half of the game roles around, and it feels like you've changed game altogether. The mechanic changes completely and it just doesn't feel right. I glitches out so many times and the AI is the absolute pits. Your AI partner can be instakilled and there's not too much you can do about it. In summary, looks great, plays naff.
5/10

Tambini

E9HkwWX.png

#60 Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;.5 DS - July 26th - 15 hours
Oozes charm and has a lot of good ideas but the more you play the less good it gets. Levels start to get too long and the difficulty spikes towards the end, sort of outstays its welcome.

s5LwfeL.png

#61 Super Mario 64 DS &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; DS - July 29th - 12 hours
Controls let it down a bit but playing on 3ds is a bit nicer on the thumb. Otherwise a classic game and playing as Luigi is great

xNsjhAw.png

#62 Final Fantasy XII The Zodaic Age &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; PS4 - July 31st - 40 hours
Really good remaster, the x2 speed is a lifesaver for grinding. With JRPGs I sort of zone out of the story around half way as the story starts getting a bit shit

Tizoc

I understand and acknowledge the praise this game gets, but I didn't find myself floored by the game. The visuals were serviceable and kid-friendly, and the overall platforming challenges are fine. I did find the controls a little odd however as Mario felt slippery to control which really caused me to die needlessly at some points.

I mainly went through the game's main exits and didn't aim for 100% completion of any kind.
If anything I found the soundtrack pretty good.
All in all a good platformer, but not a game for me.

Main post

3TSnh6i.png

22 | Outlast | PC
Time: 6 hours
Score: 3/10

While I appreciate the premise of Outlast, the game simply didn't grab me. The game is too linear for my tastes and consists of hallway after hallway, sometimes with patrolling monsters. The monster design also didn't do much for me with the same enemies returning. Consequently I was pretty bored for most of my time with Outlast. And boredom is absolutely the last thing you should feel when playing a horror game.

Eblo

Master post

With July coming to a close, I hit my goal of 52.

250px-Echoesboxart_%28Large%29.jpg

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes: June 28-July 4
The presentation is vastly improved over the previous game. Scanning is more satisfying. The dark world gimmick is tiring and fucks with pacing. It made me feel like I was exploring the same area twice. Beam ammo made me refrain from using anything but the regular power beam. The world itself isn't as interesting as Tallon IV, but it was nice to see more varied environments as opposed to ice, fire, and water. Dark Samus was an interesting antagonist but wasn't fleshed out enough. I was not crazy about the forced fetch quest at the end; it did not need to be repeated from the first game.

250px-Hitman_2015.jpg

HITMAN: &#8734;
I did not plan to pour as many hours into this as I have. Hitman makes the player actually feel like the titular profession. You analyze maps to find the most efficient way to eliminate targets. When you start to get bored with a particular map, you can undertake challenges. If that's not enough, there are escalation missions. Then comes professional difficulty. Lastly there are custom contracts, which adds replay value in both creation and completion. Oh, and the game has a surprisingly good story near the end.

250px-Smetroidbox.jpg

Super Metroid: July 13-15
Super Metroid quickly impressed me with visual magic I had never before seen in any SNES game. As for the rest of the game... I don't care for it. The controls are unpleasant. The Select button is relegated to swapping items, which becomes especially painful when you've got a full arsenal and can only swap in order. Why? Why not hold Y to enable missiles when shooting? The freedom to explore at your own pace is a feather in the game's cap, but the movement proved to be a chore for me. Super Metroid is a good game, but I prefer Prime.

250px-Metroid_Fusion_box.jpg

Metroid Fusion: July 17-20
In a way, Metroid Fusion is the polar opposite of Super Metroid. It's strictly linear, tells a lot of its story through plain text, and has snappier controls. The last one is part of why I like it a lot better than Super Metroid. Despite having even fewer buttons due to GBA hardware, Fusion somehow plays better than the game on a system with more buttons. More important to Fusion's identity are the horror elements, particularly the presence of the X. It's a much more terrifying enemy than Metroids due to its intelligence and adaptability. It really set the game apart in terms of tone.

UFM9z7v.jpg

3-D Ultra Minigolf Deluxe: July 20
Nostalgia. Such a simple game. Hilarious and wacky. Replay value in trying to best your high scores. Lots of hidden secrets.

250px-Metroid_--_Zero_Mission_%28box_art%29.jpg

Metroid: Zero Mission: July 20-22
I found Zero Mission to be far easier than Fusion, disappointingly so. Telling the player exactly where to go was an unnecessary addition for this remake when the map functionality alone was enough to mitigate any possible worries of getting lost. Then there had to be “that” section. I wasn't thrilled. The final boss dies way too soon to be satisfying. The most interesting takeaway from the original Metroid's story for me is that Super Metroid is mostly just a retread. Same planet, same areas (somehow intact), same bosses (somehow back and fully recovered after being visibly destroyed). Super Metroid is as a remake of the first Metroid but with references to 2 thrown in.

250px-Rhythm_Thief_and_the_Emperor%27s_Treasure.png

Rhythm Thief: July 22-25
What I liked: good tunes, nice references to Sega, world exploration, side content, wildly crazy plot that absolutely nobody could have imagined would be in a game like this. What I didn't like: reused minigames, cliffhanger ending, story stuff that requires A-ranking every minigame except one.

250px-Metroid_Prime_3_Packaging.jpg

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: July 25-30
This game solidified my opinion that Metroid Prime is the best game in the Prime series. Each sequel took a big step down. Corruption introduces the federation stuff—characters, voice acting, in-world politics—which left a sour taste in my mouth. It seems like it will go away, but it doesn't. You're led through a strictly linear experience where characters tell you where to find shit. Areas are seldom revisited and feature few collectibles to backtrack for. One change I actually liked was that the ship greatly alleviates my qualms with long backtracking in the previous two games. Although, its missiles are useless outside of the times they're required. The escort mission was wtf for Metroid. Did not mesh well in the slightest. At least it was cool to feel like you were finally getting the upper hand against the pirates and flushing them out. The gimmick in the final area was cool and changed up the gameplay with an added challenge. I really hope Prime 4 isn't another step down.

Seventh update for July.

Main post|Backlog Blitz main post

OMXVlnM.png

Game Fifteen
Nex Machina (PlayStation 4) - July 1
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; 3/4 (3.75)
Easily Housemarque's best game since Resogun.

ZnwqHa8.png

Game Sixteen
Portal (PC) - July 8
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; 1/2 (4.5)

Finished it before on PS3 and Xbox 360, but still as much a gem even now after ten years.

PJZ1lhl.png

Game Seventeen
SUPERHOT (PlayStation 4) - (July 31)
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; 1/4 (4.25)

What an incredibly genius puzzle shooter. Can't believe it took me this long to get to it, even if the PS4 version came out last week as of posting this. The final level in the story took me quite a while, but that was more me and my inaptness than the design of the game. Fantastic.

shaneo632

I've been lurking on this thread for months but now I've got a verified account I can take part! I'm going to try and do 52 games that are all 2017 releases, but we'll see how it goes.

I've sorted by release date as I can't remember the order I beat them in, and bear in mind I'm more of a "buffet gamer", in that I like to play a lot of games but in smaller quantities, and I usually beat games pretty fast:

#1 - Resident Evil 7 - PSVR (11 hrs)
9/10. Holy shit this was an intense experience in VR. I played it with two buddies and we swapped roughly every 15-20 minutes, so I guess technically I only played about 4 hours.

#2 - Dexed - PSVR (1 hr)
6/10. Simple but relaxing VR game. Short but enjoyable enough for its low price and unassuming nature.

#3 - Yakuza 0 (22 hrs)
9/10. My first foray into Yakuza and it definitely won't be my last. Can't wait for Kiwami.

#4 - Psychonauts In the Rhombus of Ruin - PSVR (2 hrs)
7/10. Clever use of VR tech, but I wish it was longer.

#5 - Night in the Woods (5 hrs)
8/10. Smartly written adventure game that kept me hooked throughout its short playtime.

#6 - Disc Jam (5 hrs)
7/10. Ferociously addictive if ultimately quite basic online sports title. Really good fun.

#7 - Snake Pass (4 hrs)
7/10. Intriguing if occasionally frustrating platformer.

#8 - PaRappa the Rapper Remastered (1 hr)
7/10. A classic, of course. It hasn't aged the greatest and it's still too damn short but I can't help but love it.

#9 - Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition (6 hrs)
8/10. One of the most underrated games of the previous generation IMO. Ridiculously addictive gameplay.

#10 - Starblood Arena (3 hrs)
7/10. Single player was boring and the multiplayer servers are basically dead, which is a shame, as the core gameplay is pretty great, and it has a terrific sense of humour about itself. Rented it for a few days and then sent it back.

#11 - Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series - Episode 1 (1 hr)
6/10. Pretty underwhelming, to be honest. Passable Telltale fare but basically a quick cash-grab. A 6/10 is probably quite generous really.

#12 - Late Shift (3 hrs - 3 x 1hr playthroughs)
7/10. An intriguing interactive movie. The plot could be a bit more energising but I loved the gimmick and how seamlessly it was employed.

#13 - Micro Machines World Series (3 hrs)
6/10. I rented this out of morbid curiosity. There's no proper single player so I got a few hours of MP out of it then sent it back. It had its moments but was ultimately too limited.

#14 - Statik - PSVR (7 hrs)
8/10. Infuriating but brilliant VR puzzle game. A must-own if you've got PSVR.

#15 - What Remains of Edith Finch (2 hrs)
8/10. Charming if incredibly brief "walking sim". Some really sharp writing and unexpected emotion here.

#16 - Little Nightmares (3 hrs)
8/10. Gorgeous art style and intriguingly vague narrative. Trial-and-error gameplay a bit annoying sometimes, but mostly loved it.

#17 - LocoRoco Remastered (3 hrs)
7/10. Cute, infectiously joyous platformer that I missed on original release. This looked and played great.

#18 - Injustice 2 (5 hrs)
9/10. Smashed through the story mode and played a little of the other modes. Incredibly comprehensive beat 'em up and possibly the best I've played this gen. It came out around a ton of other games though so I didn't get to play it much.

#19 - Friday the 13th: The Game (2 hrs)
5/10. Entertaining to a point but infuriatingly buggy and too repetitive for the price. I got a refund from Steam just under the lock.

#20 - Star Trek: Bridge Crew - PSVR (5 hrs)
8/10. Easily one of the best MP VR games I've played. So, so much fun, even if the lack of mission variety quickly becomes apparent.

#21 - Danger Zone (2 hrs)
6/10. Pretty bare bones stuff and visually quite ugly but I still had fun blowing shit up.

#22 - Tekken 7 (2 hrs)
6/10. Played through the appalling story mode and decided the game wasn't really for me. Shame, as I was a huge fan of Tekken 2 and 3 in particular.

#23 - Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series – Episode 2 (2 hrs)
6/10. A mild improvement over the first episode but still beholden to most of the same problems.

#24 - Nex Machina (1 hr)
7/10. Short and sweet shooter that's more accessible than Housemarque's other games, and there's a lot of replay value here if you want to keep topping your score and smash through higher difficulties.

#25 - Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (16 hrs)
9/10. What a wonderful blast from the past this was. This game consumed my life for about 5 days and I loved every infuriating second.

#26 - Theseus - PSVR (3 hrs 2 x 1.5 hr playthroughs)
6/10. Third-person VR is an interesting idea, but this was waaaaaaay too short for the asking price. Thankfully I had a review code but I still felt kinda jipped by the marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom