• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Steam Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

Thank you for taking your time to create the thread fellow GAFfer.

I must say that the design is quite interesting, not sure how it will fit in my hands to be honest. I'm curious to try it myself, from all the news Valve gave us this is the one that I could get even if I don't have a SteamOS machine or even if I can't afford a decent PC for now.

The first thing that came to my mind was those mouse with a side trackball on the left side. I know this is different but I wonder how much sensitive it will be for game such FPS's when running and turning fast and then click it is something that happen fast. The quick save/load options on the trackpad seems to fit great on games like Fallout or Skyrim.

I really want to try it out. After all this announcements I'm really start to truly miss PC gaming in a proper way (proper pc parts, proper settings, etc). Let's cross my fingers and see if I can check it for myself.

Slappers Only

nd4wmsS.jpg

Finalizer

Well unlike Sony and MS, at least its something different and a step in a different direction.

Why does it need to be different is the key question though. Sticks are a tried and true input. The trackpads are certainly different, but the big question is are they an improvement? Especially when those pads have sacrificed the D-pad and moved X/Y next to the left pad (can't press them and that pad at the same time; limits some games from being compatible), this controller has a lot to prove if Valve wants it to be at all relevant beyond a cute novelty for the Valve fanatics.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I love it. Obviously have to get hands on it, but I have general faith in Valve to do it right.

All the people in here blindly saying it sucks or is too different really expose themselves for what they are IMO. Zero imagination or openness to innovation.

Horp

I really want to try this.
Dual analog controllers has never been precise enough for what people are trying to do with it. Watching the best players in the world play Halo and CoD look like novice-to-intermediate pc fps gamers really irks me. Maybe this controller isn't better, but at least it's something different. Don't like the "lalalalal caaan't heeear youu"-attitude towards the blatantly obvious problems with dual analogs thats been going on the last few years.

Miker

Dying for hands-on impressions. I won't judge until then. Valve has been big into haptics and bio-whatever stuff for years now, and I trust that they're onto something.

EMT0

Banned
I admire Valve's cajones for releasing a controller without analog sticks. Let's see how it turns out though.

Damaniel

Banned
It usually appears that any substantial deviation from the Dual Shock Controller is frowned upon.

I'm not sure what to make of this yet.

I admit I'm a little skeptical, but I don't think it's an ugly controller (it's certainly different). I definitely want to try it out.

AngryMoth

Wow. That is bold. If this was coming from pretty much anyone besides valve I would be mocking it but since it is them I assume it must feel good when you use it. Eagerly await impressions.

Draft

It usually appears that any substantial deviation from the Dual Shock Controller is frowned upon.

Fairly, I'd say! Most game input devices that aren't some variation of the Dual Shock (really, the SNES controller) have been bad. Some disastrously bad. Benefit of the doubt has been exhausted.

I think the dual trackpads will make this functional for fps and other cursor heavy kb+mouse games like strategy games. I wanna try it on those.

For games that work best with dpads though, like platformers and fighting games, this thing looks useless.

Lingitiz

Steam just insured that DS4 will be the go-to gamepad for PC for the next few years.

PC games like Rome 2 and Civ V are currently unplayable on any type of gamepad. This seems to at the very least find a solution to that problem. You can still use any other controller for traditional console games.

Hari Seldon

You can't play a competitive FPS on PC with those controllers. Even playing single player is frustrating without autoaim on a PC. Maybe these weird trackpads will allow better precision, maybe not, but somebody had to try something if Valve is really going after comfy couch gaming. People won't keep playing if they are getting destroyed constantly.

Exactly. You can't bring PC gaming to the couch with the limitations of console controlling. There are way too many PC genres that console controls simply do not work with.

Baha

Say what you will about the design but I'm really intrigued and I want to try this out really badly now.

Eusis

Yeah, gotta get my hands on it. For some games it's a definite pass, but for first person games and strategies I'm definitely intrigued.

Karu

The first few pages are embarrassing. You guys call yourselves gamers and you can't see how awesome this is.

You are officially worse than the people who don't call themselves gamers and look at controllers weirdly. At least they aren't experienced enough to know better.
Pretty much this.

I'm curious and interested. Price would be nice to know.

Neiteio

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but looking at the picture, it seems like a smart idea. If I understand correctly, the trackpads allow you to simulate "mouse look" with your one thumb and AWSD with the other. Finally, a convenient solution for playing KMB games on the TV, without settling for the imprecision of dual-analog? I guess it'd depend on how sensitive the trackpads are.

antibolo

Banned
I'd normally agree with you, but it depends on how well the haptics work. If they can do strong, distinct vibrations that are triggered very precisely, it could work.

Nope. Vibration can never be a proper substitute for real tactile buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom