• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warships Enters Open Beta

Oh god it begins.
I'd pay good money for a Yuudachi premium destroyer

Anyways, I was wondering why there were so many ships running aground today. I now have this strange dilemma of wanting to do some seal clubbing in my Wakatake, or playing the Battlefront Alpha

Here's the fancy new hype up CG video, featuring... I think the Akagi, which isn't even in the game yet. Shhhh don't mention Midway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAAgZvVsW78&feature=youtu.be&t=2m

I've played a few games and I think I'm in love. It runs like a dream on a triple monitor setup, sounds great, and plays differently than anything I have ever played before. It is definitely more methodical by it's nature than most anything else out there. You commit to a route/goal at he start and you pretty much see it through to the end and hope your teammates do likewise.

My first game in an Erie class destroyer took me up the middle of a map, and then I switched to the right which caught me in a pretty wicked cross fire from 3 enemy ships. I was sunk and caused very little damage. I came in dead last in exp for all 16 people playing on both sides.

Not to be deterred, my second game saw me committing a much longer route to the enemy flag. It took longer to get into the action, but when I did I completely blindsided another destroyer. I sunk him with very little dmg to myself. I then proceeded straight to the flag area and came upon another destroyer hiding in wait. I think we surprised each other in equal measure. My fire got him moving out of hiding just in time for a team mate to assist me in sinking him. I was now in the flag area and exchanged fire with a lone defender just as two of my team mates rounded from the far side. The 3 of us pounded that battleship to pieces. At the end of that match, I had the highest exp of all 16 and the most sunken enemy ships!

This game is right up my alley. It's really intense when you're in a firefight. It's not twitchy at all. Instead, you have to think and plan each shot and maneuver a few seconds in advance because it makes all the difference in both attack and avoidance/defense.

Btw, I DLed the beta in 25 minutes. That's by far my fastest DL speed ever. I was really impressed!

Bastables

Tier v furu was hair pulling bad till I got the 203 guns on it. Tip get the b hull and 203 as soon as possible. It means you can kill DD with HE and rof.

To continue a conversation from the Closed Beta thread,

anyone here using DDs in higher tiers? I have no clue how to play the jp dds with 2 carriers searching for me/others. You are completely useless and can't do anything about it. Once they find you your torpedoes are detected early, and your guns are shit anyway.

What am I supposed to do? Any tips?

I find that high-tier destroyers are best played like Metal Gear Solid but in fast motion and on a gargantuan scale.

To start off with, memorize the values under "Concealment" and/or put a skill point in to master "Situational Awareness." When I say playing a high-tier destroyer is like Metal Gear Solid, the Situational Awareness perk is how you get the exclamation point that alerts you when you've been spotted and need to either get out of there or conceal yourself.

To prevent planes from spotting you quite so early, as soon as the match starts press P. This will disable your anti-aircraft guns (and, on larger ships, AI-controlled secondaries). If the Situational Awareness perk says you've been spotted by a plane, re-enable the AA guns with P again and start shooting it down until either the planes are gone or you're out of their spotting range.

Then again, Japanese ships struggle with AA, so if you're spotted well before you're ready for an attack, ditch the attack run, try to get out of the enemies' gun ranges (while zigzagging to avoid shells), and return later. You'll survive longer this way, and late-game destroyers are rare but very useful because the ships with the most longevity are also the least maneuverable. Something that is of GREAT help in getting away from enemies after you're spotted is the Engine Boost consumable: it increases your top speed, but your ship burns its fuel less efficiently and thus generates a thicker exhaust cloud, which makes you easier to spot (thus, you should use it if you've already been spotted anyway).

Furthering the Metal Gear Solid comparison, your smokescreen is your cardboard box. As you enter torpedo range, it's almost inevitable that you're going to get spotted, so if the Situational Awareness perk tells you that you've been seen while you make your approach, lay down a smokescreen as you close the distance needed for you to drop your torpedoes, make the attack, and then get some distance between yourself and your prey.

The single most important thing for a destroyer is to evade detection. The second most important thing for a destroyer is speed, since speed makes you harder to hit. Both of these things keep you in the game longer for the class of ship with the shortest life expectancy of the four classes. Both of these ideas can also be improved upon with the use of ship upgrades, signal flags, and crew skills.

As soon as I realized that destroyers were essentially a stealth game, my performance with them became significantly better.

Also, on one final note, to avoid being spotted by planes, consider staying back and closer to other ships until you see where the enemy carrier is putting its aircraft. If you see a gap, change course and go for it.

And to counter a dd, calling out the position and asking the carriers to keep their fighters close to its last known position really does wonders getting those pesky bastards.:p

grmlin

Thanks a lot for your help, problem is, I do all this already :(

I was in a match with two T7 or T8 carriers, don't remember, and once they detected me, they constantly parked fighters over my head. My AA got some of them, but not enough.

It did not help, that our carriers were not that smart...

I'll do my best though, I have so much fun driving destroyers, I can't stop playing them :)

Insomnium

Thanks a lot for your help, problem is, I do all this already :(

I was in a match with two T7 or T8 carriers, don't remember, and once they detected me, they constantly parked fighters over my head. My AA got some of them, but not enough.

It did not help, that our carriers were not that smart...

I'll do the my, I have so much fun driving destroyers, I can't stop playing them :)

I wish the carrier in my team plays like this ... IJN DD from tier 6 to 8 are quite hard to play from my exp with longer reload, smaller amount of torps + enemies are generaly more experienced in dodging torp. I'm enjoying US DD more than IJN.

Machina

Banned
GoT-GIF-3.gif

grmlin

I wish the carrier in my team plays like this ... IJN DD from tier 6 to 8 are quite hard to play from my exp with longer reload, smaller amount of torps + enemies are generaly more experienced in dodging torp. I'm enjoying US DD more than IJN.

I started using those US DDs yesterday, totally different play style, but I like it. Give me some JP DDs for my cannons :D

Ubersnug

With the success of World of Tanks on the Xbox 360/Xbox one, I'm hopeful they will bring this to the Xone in the near future!

Apparently the EU server has the Mikasa up for sale in the premium shop. I really need this to come to NA already. Wargaming pls

Bombless

Apparently the EU server has the Mikasa up for sale in the premium shop. I really need this to come to NA already. Wargaming pls

Yeah, it's part of the Gamescom celebration stuff. Not that great of a deal but it's their way of trying to get people to buy their consumables with real money.

Also met a Tirpitz in battle. Well, I saw her on the list, didn't actually get to see it as I got sunk before I made contact. Their user names are all gamescom_something.

Edit : Stats of the Mikasa.

grmlin

In some ships the matchmaking is really really bad for me. The Myogi is no fun at all, as I constantly face T7 BBs, CVs and Cruisers... in others it works well. Is this a bug? Am I out of luck?

In some ships the matchmaking is really really bad for me. The Myogi is no fun at all, as I constantly face T7 BBs, CVs and Cruisers... in others it works well. Is this a bug? Am I out of luck?

The Myogi is generally considered to be the worst ship of the Japanese battleship line, rivaling the Izumo in terms of how most people see it. Myogi indeed also gets some odd MM, at times being dragged into Tier VIII matches if the matchmaker is really reaching to fill a Tier VIII match. Stick with it, though, and the Kongo through Amagi should just be ship-after-ship of good performance and fun times.

And with regard to being spotted in your destroyer by aircraft carriers, my best advice then is to stay back or stay close to larger allied ships with more AA guns, perhaps even use them as metal shields. The fact that they are larger ships and easier targets should mean that enemy ships will aim for them instead of you, while their AA will help you greatly in making the enemy carrier waste its planes or encourage the carrier to send its planes elsewhere. The most important thing to remember about fighters is that they can't harm ships, so it's better than being stalked by loaded bombers or torpedo planes. The only way fighters can hurt you is if you are within the range and line of fire of enemy ships, so keeping your distance when you're spotted is the thing to do, which should be easier to do in a destroyer than in any other class thanks to your speed.

I'm better at giving this advice than I am at actually following it myself.... Regardless of ship class, I have this horrible tendency of getting into bad combat situations, and then pushing further into it instead of running away.

grmlin

Ok, I'll try to play the Myogi more, if it gets better after her (is it a girl?), I'm ok with that.

For the destroyers: yes, almost any dd rushing a cap in higher tier matches is the first to get killed if carriers are present in the game. First thing they do is sending fighters to the caps and spot. I don't do this anymore, and I have to bear lots of hate in the chat for that...

Yesterday I even was told to learn to play dds (from a dead guy). I was leading the scoreboard at this point, I did not sink much, but dealt lots of damage to bbs with my first salvo of torpedoes. If you can't manage to kill something with the first try there is not much sense in trying it again. Most people stop sailing like a train after that :D

Yesterday I even was told to learn to play dds (from a dead guy). I was leading the scoreboard at this point, I did not sink much, but dealt lots of damage to bbs with my first salvo of torpedoes.
Armchair admirals are my favorite. They sink in the first 5 minutes, then complain about their team in all chat for the rest of the game.

This game has got it's hooks into me. I love how the mechanics are so basic that you can learn them in one game, while the intricacies of the different ships are deep enough that you'll never stop learning. The F2P model is a bit flawed compared to something like PS2, but I am willing to forgive it since at the end of the day you will be on equal footing most of the time. I picked up a sub to earn xp faster, but I don't see myself buying premiums.

This game has got it's hooks into me. I love how the mechanics are so basic that you can learn them in one game, while the intricacies of the different ships are deep enough that you'll never stop learning. The F2P model is a bit flawed compared to something like PS2, but I am willing to forgive it since at the end of the day you will be on equal footing most of the time. I picked up a sub to earn xp faster, but I don't see myself buying premiums.
Sounds like you have everything you need.

Premium ships are simply middle-of-the-road ships that happen to be cheaper to repair than other ships of their tier. The main reasons people buy them are 1) to get lots of credits, 2) to train a crew member for a ship they can't afford to operate otherwise, or 3) because the person likes having the ship.

Really, aside from #3 (where you like the specific ship, which comes down to novelty), a premium account, or even a free Tier V and some patience, can achieve the same results.

Something else I really like about the game is how drastically different the game plays at each tier. To set up a contrast, it feels to me like dogfighting games where you play in aircraft from World War I to the Korean War have it where every single tier just puts you in turn battles with only the speed increasing as technology progresses. In World of Warships, however, Tier I feels like some kind of "bumper boats but using guns instead of bumping," Tier II to III is "Dodge the torpedoes (while learning the game's basics)!" Tier IV to V is where you learn how to use spotter planes and catapult fighters, which drastically change how cruisers and battleships play (they stay a lot further back than they do before obtaining their planes) but you still see some early tier-style close fighting. Tier VI and up are all escalations in distance, until you reach the Tier VIII to X range, where there's heavy weapons firing everywhere. I have had repeated instances in my Yamato where I would suddenly receive the voice clip that I sank an enemy destroyer, turn my camera opposite to where I was firing my main guns, and see that, indeed, my secondary armament completely dismantled a destroyer that I hadn't even noticed!

Bombless

Yeah the Premium ships aren't really worth it. They're good ships (usually) but they cost way wayyyy too much.

I spotted my first Tirpitz! The game has a built-in free cam (Rctrl+Rshift+backspace, arrow keys and 1,3,7,9 on the numberpad to move, return to normal camera by pressing Rctrl+Rshift+backspace again or, if you're still afloat, by pressing M twice), so I used it to get a better look at her:

So, I never got into WoT but naval battles have always interested me.

Thinking about jumping into the Open Beta for this sometime this week, but I am a bit worried about the specs required. Does it scale pretty well?

My gaming PC has been out of commission for a bit so I am using a small mini-PC that I got for free a while back. It plays most stuff on medium-high settings without a problem surprisingly enough, but I have a feeling this might be too much for it.

grmlin

So, I never got into WoT but naval battles have always interested me.

Thinking about jumping into the Open Beta for this sometime this week, but I am a bit worried about the specs required. Does it scale pretty well?

My gaming PC has been out of commission for a bit so I am using a small mini-PC that I got for free a while back. It plays most stuff on medium-high settings without a problem surprisingly enough, but I have a feeling this might be too much for it.

Try it, it's free :)

I would say it's not that demanding, so I would give it a try!

Try it, it's free :)

I would say it's not that demanding, so I would give it a try!

Yeah, I definitely will download and try anyway. Need to stop being lazy and fix my gaming PC anyway so maybe this will serve as impetus to do that.

Another worry is how wargaming handles their servers. I am not going to be blocked trying to play on NA/EU servers from Japan will I?

grmlin

I don't know that. All I know is, that you can't switch servers afterwards.

But there are some guys on a German forum playing on NA Servers, so I don't think this will be a problem.

I don't know that. All I know is, that you can't switch servers afterwards.

But there are some guys on a German forum playing on NA Servers, so I don't think this will be a problem.

Nice. That means that they probably are not going to be IP blocking.
I was a bit worried because I have seen ads for WoW already in Japanese (in fact there is one playing on top of GAF right now! lol), and sometimes when they are localized this early they just IP block everyone from the other servers outside of JP.

Hope that is not the case! I can probably convince my brother to play this as well.

Hopefully it will run decent on my back-up PC.

Nice. That means that they probably are not going to be IP blocking.
I was a bit worried because I have seen ads for WoW already in Japanese (in fact there is one playing on top of GAF right now! lol), and sometimes when they are localized this early they just IP block everyone from the other servers outside of JP.

Hope that is not the case! I can probably convince my brother to play this as well.

Hopefully it will run decent on my back-up PC.

They don't IP block in terms of being able to access one server from a different region. For example, I know a Swede who plays on the US servers. When you region's site from outside of that region, you'll get a message over the page asking if you would rather be transferred to your region's equivalent to the website, but you can turn down their offer.

From Japan, you'll get the fastest connection times if you register on http://www.worldofwarships.asia, though if you also want a secondary account on the North American server you would have two accounts with 0separate progresses if you want to play on both the Asian server and the North American server. That is, if you unlock a Tier X warship on the Asian server, you don't unlock the same ship on your North American account. The other games HAVE had times where they offered account transfers from one region to another, though.

Yubari finally getting the AA consumable as it always should have and the Sims getting torpedoes worth using without suicide runs? Is this real life?

People have noted that this update has been mind-blowing in terms of giving people things that the community likes while keeping the game balanced. World of Warships updates are the opposite of World of Warplanes updates!

Man I've had some crazy games with the Nicholas. One game I single handily took down a carrier and a battleship, and did 90% to a second carrier ending up with over 100k total dmg. Came to an end when I stupidly crashed into an island and got killed by a battleship.

Then I had a second game today where I scored 6 kills, and almost survived for 4 minutes with 3 hp dodging a pissed off carrier that saw what I had just done to his friend. Ended up being killed by a Destroyer 10 seconds before we won the game.

Gundy2010

unlike world of tanks, premium ships in this game doesn't seems to have credit/exp multiplier on them. I get very similar income compare to regular same tier ships.

However they do have lower repair cost, and you can train any crew of same nation regardless of their ship class. which is a major plus compare to WOT.

Bombless

unlike world of tanks, premium ships in this game doesn't seems to have credit/exp multiplier on them. I get very similar income compare to regular same tier ships.

However they do have lower repair cost, and you can train any crew of same nation regardless of their ship class. which is a major plus compare to WOT.

They do have a credits and xp multiplier.

I played this a bit last week before going on vacation. Managed to get my brother hooked as planned!

I worked my way up to the Myogi so far. I HATED the Kawachi so much but have been doing okay in the Myogi.

I have had some very good games, and looking forward to working my way through the tiers.

Top Bottom