• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warships Enters Open Beta

Bought the Nagato after my Fuso got almost one shotted by it. The regret:(

I get citadels at weird angles but 10km shots @ cruisers seem underwhelming to say the least. Maybe I'm overpenning? Of course skill is a factor and the Fuso was a shotgun. But even in the comparable Kongo I'm doing much better than in the Nagato. And I'm getting very favourable MM too. I'll just grind to my first hull upgrade and see if things improve.

grmlin

If I remember correctly Nagato got much better after the hull upgrade. Well, because of RNG I more or less stopped grinding with the Amagi. I hate it so much when a Cruiser shows me it's full broadside at ~10km, I place a perfect salvo and all I get is 2000 damage out of it.

Right now I enjoy the Kiev so much, that I pretty much stopped playing anything else. I can't wait to see how things get in higher tiers.

mitchman

Gold Member
If I remember correctly Nagato got much better after the hull upgrade. Well, because of RNG I more or less stopped grinding with the Amagi. I hate it so much when a Cruiser shows me it's full broadside at ~10km, I place a perfect salvo and all I get is 2000 damage out of it.
Are you using AP ammonition? Using HE on a battleship should be banned :) AP at close range, and 2-3 citadel shots and you can take a BS from half health to death in one salvo. I've done it a few times, always funny when they fire HE back at you :)

grmlin

Are you using AP ammonition? Using HE on a battleship should be banned :) AP at close range, and 2-3 citadel shots and you can take a BS from half health to death in one salvo. I've done it a few times, always funny when they fire HE back at you :)

AP of course. :)

I had my good moments, too. I mean, Amagi is T8, I played BBs for some time now. But unlike with other ships it's 50% skill, and 50% praying that 1) RNG gives you more than 2k damage / salvo and 2) not every friggin shot of enemy cruisers adds a fire to your ship.

AP of course. :)

I had my good moments, too. I mean, Amagi is T8, I played BBs for some time now. But unlike with other ships it's 50% skill, and 50% praying that 1) RNG gives you more than 2k damage / salvo and 2) not every friggin shot of enemy cruisers adds a fire to your ship.
I recently started with the American line en it was a revelation. Even the south carolina felt like packing a punch compared to the nagato. That, of course is mainly because of the shorter distances and those lovely smokestacks. In the end it feels much more satisfying to play.

mitchman

Gold Member
I just started playing WoWS and I love it. The problem is all the assholes online. For instance, just today some idiot just after start decided to broadside me and take below half health, then run into me so the enemy had a stationary target to fire at and kill me.
Is this common? Also the idiots in the chat that just cuss and call people names etc.

Bombless

I just started playing WoWS and I love it. The problem is all the assholes online. For instance, just today some idiot just after start decided to broadside me and take below half health, then run into me so the enemy had a stationary target to fire at and kill me.
Is this common? Also the idiots in the chat that just cuss and call people names etc.

Welcome to Free to Play. It tends to go away in the higher tiers though.

TKers are not common. Especially on higher tiers as players don't want to be banned and lose their hard earned ships. Calling names becomes less frequent.

grmlin

You will always meet raging people in chat, report them and done.

At the moment, using Russian DDs, people get really upset if I don't cap and engage the enemy like the JP/US Ninja-DDs in the beginning of a match. I try to tell them that I'm no help if I die immediately, especially without any cruiser support in my back.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
Loving the Hell out of this game. Currently have an entire fleet of Tier 5 US ships. I haven't taken the time to really build out anything above Tier 1 from the other nations. Not sure what the best way to go is.

grmlin

It depends :)

I have a ton of fun in Russian DDs at the moment. But I like my Fletcher, too. Problem is, the ships of one branch in a tech trees can change a lot.
Russian DDs for example are pure shit up to T5/T6. T7 is awesome though. Or US cruisers. I stopped playing the New Orleans, I didn't like it at all.

If you want to get into the higher tiers, you'll have to stick to one line though, you will not reach any high tier ship in a reasonable amount of time otherwise.

DrSlek

Anyone still playing this since it's released?

I've been moving up in the Russian Destroyer line. They play more like gunships, as their torpedoes are ridiculously short ranged at 4KM. I'm currently up to the tier 7 kiev. It's huge, and basically a small cruiser.

Just recently I splurged and bought the premium French Battleship Dunkerque as well. Because all the main guns are mounted on 2 front turrets, it's a huge departure from regular BB play where you have to expose your broadside in order to bring all your guns to bear. Just yesterday I used it to go toe to toe with 3 enemy battleships. A Scharnhorst, a Colorado and a Kongo. Sank the Scharnhorst, got the Colorado down to about 2K HP before a destroyer ambushed and sank me. I probably would have sank the Kongo too if I'd survived, as most of his shots were bouncing.

mitchman

Gold Member
Anyone still playing this since it's released?

Yes. 4200 matches and counting.

I've been moving up in the Russian Destroyer line. They play more like gunships, as their torpedoes are ridiculously short ranged at 4KM. I'm currently up to the tier 7 kiev. It's huge, and basically a small cruiser.
Stick with the Kiev, or suffer the pain of grinding past the Tashkent (trashkent) to get to the Udaloi and Khabarovsk which are both awesome. The Russian DD line is a bit two faced, though. Some are stealthy, others are not. Generally, they're gun boats at higher tiers and you use speed, range and wasd hacks to avoid incoming fire. Expect to the spotted at all times.

Just recently I splurged and bought the premium French Battleship Dunkerque as well. Because all the main guns are mounted on 2 front turrets, it's a huge departure from regular BB play where you have to expose your broadside in order to bring all your guns to bear. Just yesterday I used it to go toe to toe with 3 enemy battleships. A Scharnhorst, a Colorado and a Kongo. Sank the Scharnhorst, got the Colorado down to about 2K HP before a destroyer ambushed and sank me. I probably would have sank the Kongo too if I'd survived, as most of his shots were bouncing.

Even a bad ship can have a good match every now and then, but the Dunkerque is a really bad battleships, very lightly armored and any BB can pen it from the front. It has very few redeeming features. Generally to be avoided, spend the money on the Scharnhorst or Tipritz instead, both great premium battleships.

grmlin

I can't stop playing this game, yet.

The Khabarovsk is considered to be OP. I personally think thats only because all T10 BBs love to camp and snipe. Nevertheless, the Khabarovsk will be nerfed next patch, they'll reduce the firing range by 2km I think and the rof by a second or something.

mitchman

Gold Member
I can't stop playing this game, yet.

The Khabarovsk is considered to be OP. I personally think thats only because all T10 BBs love to camp and snipe. Nevertheless, the Khabarovsk will be nerfed next patch, they'll reduce the firing range by 2km I think and the rof by a second or something.

The kebab is op because it can speed boost at 47 knots at 14 km range and set fire after fire without having to use AFT to extend the range of the guns. It's very hard to hit it at that range and speed, hence they are nerfing range so people are force to pick AFT of the fire chance, making its fire chance lower.

grmlin

The kebab is op because it can speed boost at 47 knots at 14 km range and set fire after fire without having to use AFT to extend the range of the guns. It's very hard to hit it at that range and speed, hence they are nerfing range so people are force to pick AFT of the fire chance, making its fire chance lower.

I never used Demolition Expert on mine as I think that with the amount of shells you can pump out in this ship it does not matter. RNG is a bitch in this game anyway, and i always preferred the range boost AFT gives me over 1 or 2 more fires in a match.

The problem with the Khaba: it does not really have a counter beside a T10 JP CV who knows how to cross drop torps on you. You can't evade these.

Other than that there isn't much left. Sure, most T10 cruisers that get close will destroy you, but that does not happen too often.

I will see how the Khaba plays after the patch with 2km less range, but I don't think it will change much. I will loose invisible firing (which was pretty rare anyway on this ship) but in the end I will still be an HE spamming firestarter. They clearly put the Khaba into the game without ever thinking about the balancing if you ask me. Now they may nerf it into the ground like they did with the JP DDs before. Gearing is up next I'm afraid.

What I don't get personally is the insane damage you do with your AP into BB broadsides. I will never understand the logic of a Yamato shell hitting my little dd for 2k damage (or whatever the overpen does) while I put 6-7k salvos into the BB in return. Every 4-5 seconds.

Anyway, I play mainly cruisers these days as I hate to be one of 5-6 dds per side. Thats just stupid. I still think they have to add a hard cap of maybe 4, better 3 dds per side.

Insomnium

The 2km Khaba nerf is quite brutal imo, it makes hitting the Khaba much easier now, at least that's my experience in test server heh.

mitchman

Gold Member
Gearing is up next I'm afraid.

They might nerf the Gearing torps, but otherwise I don't see what else it can and should be done with it considering how situational it is. Sure, it has 2.3s ROF with modules and skills, but it can't hit much past 8-9km. It's very slow for a DD already.

What I don't get personally is the insane damage you do with your AP into BB broadsides. I will never understand the logic of a Yamato shell hitting my little dd for 2k damage (or whatever the overpen does) while I put 6-7k salvos into the BB in return. Every 4-5 seconds.
Overpens aren't much, but if that yama overpens you from the front so the shell the length of the ships, the dmg is significantly higher. That's actually where AP is so nice against DDs. Otherwise, HE is the thing to use, but who cares to switch.

Anyway, I play mainly cruisers these days as I hate to be one of 5-6 dds per side. Thats just stupid. I still think they have to add a hard cap of maybe 4, better 3 dds per side.

I agree, but being in a radar+hydro cruiser when there's a lot of DDs can be quite fun.

The 2km Khaba nerf is quite brutal imo, it makes hitting the Khaba much easier now, at least that's my experience in test server heh.

Many Khaba drivers don't know how to use it, and that's double true on the test server when it's so easy to level up into one.

grmlin

They might nerf the Gearing torps, but otherwise I don't see what else it can and should be done with it considering how situational it is. Sure, it has 2.3s ROF with modules and skills, but it can't hit much past 8-9km. It's very slow for a DD already.

Overpens aren't much, but if that yama overpens you from the front so the shell the length of the ships, the dmg is significantly higher. That's actually where AP is so nice against DDs. Otherwise, HE is the thing to use, but who cares to switch.

I agree, but being in a radar+hydro cruiser when there's a lot of DDs can be quite fun.

Many Khaba drivers don't know how to use it, and that's double true on the test server when it's so easy to level up into one.

You can say that for most DDs sadly. Especially JP DDs are so easy to play with their torps and the included aimbot, that even potatoes manage to land torps in something, grinding their way up to T10.

DD is all about patience, map awareness and objective play. A lot DD players only play for themselves.

The radar reload is absolutely nuts btw after the last patch. I think that it's way too fast now and a DD should have the chance to use a new smoke before the radar is up again.

DrSlek

Stick with the Kiev, or suffer the pain of grinding past the Tashkent (trashkent) to get to the Udaloi and Khabarovsk which are both awesome. The Russian DD line is a bit two faced, though. Some are stealthy, others are not. Generally, they're gun boats at higher tiers and you use speed, range and wasd hacks to avoid incoming fire. Expect to the spotted at all times.

So far I've had 21 matches with the Kiev, and 5 wins. I fucking hate it, honestly.
I liked the Ognevoi, and did well in it. I don't know why I'm so bad in the Kiev or what's so different about it.

Even a bad ship can have a good match every now and then, but the Dunkerque is a really bad battleships, very lightly armored and any BB can pen it from the front. It has very few redeeming features. Generally to be avoided, spend the money on the Scharnhorst or Tipritz instead, both great premium battleships.

Actually I've been having consistently good games with the Dunkerque. I find that a lot of enemy BB shots bounce when I'm front on and within 10KM, and so far the only ship that has been able to pen the bow armour is the Colorado with it's 400+mm guns. I use the ships high speed to skirt around the enemy and then attack from the flank, so I can place myself front on to most enemy sips and maximize the effectiveness of the bow armour. It's a bad ship on paper, but if you adapt your playstyle to its strengths it's ridiculously fun. The biggest weakness of the Dunkerque is that is will catch fire from a spark. So I've specced it to high fire resist.

Insomnium

I thought Kiev is pretty good, my favourite DD for sure. For Kiev I play it as a mini cruiser and stay close with the pack and scout. I will only go in and contest cap if I know my CA is behind me and when in cap I don't really care about other DDs anyway since i can close the distance and gun them down.

mitchman

Gold Member
So far I've had 21 matches with the Kiev, and 5 wins. I fucking hate it, honestly.
I liked the Ognevoi, and did well in it. I don't know why I'm so bad in the Kiev or what's so different about it.

Don't try capping directly, hold off a bit to see what opposition you have. Use range and speed and drive in side ways compared to the enemy at 10+ km and fire continuesly. Set fires. Lots of them. A good game will have you at 400+ hits on enemy ships. Kiev it's probably the best RU DD tier for tier, so if you can't get the hang of that one, don't bother going up the line to higher tiers as they play similarly.

Bombless

You definitely need to stay out of the cap circle until your team has closed in to support you, as soon as you step in you'll be detected and need to push in to unveil the enemy dd(s).

I like my stealth too much to push down the RU DD line atm. Any russian line, really. Don't really have the time for that anyway, now that the Warspite has been fixed I thought it was time to start colonising the shit out of the enemy.

Might also grab Dunkerque for the lulz.

DrSlek

Warspite has been fixed, you say? Time to pull the old girl out of retirement!

Also; I just had a match with a Perth class British cruiser on the enemy team. Apparently the dude was testing it. Difficult to get cit pens with my Dunkerque. A lot of my shots were either overpens or bounces.

I ditched my Cleveland in preparation for the British cruiser line a while ago. So seeing the Perth in action makes me happy.

Edit: Also things have begun to turn around for my Kiev. Getting Advanced Fire Training to extend the range of my guns has made a world of difference.

grmlin

Warspite has been fixed, you say? Time to pull the old girl out of retirement!

Also; I just had a match with a Perth class British cruiser on the enemy team. Apparently the dude was testing it. Difficult to get cit pens with my Dunkerque. A lot of my shots were either overpens or bounces.

I ditched my Cleveland in preparation for the British cruiser line a while ago. So seeing the Perth in action makes me happy.

I still can't wait to test them with their small caliber AP only guns. I don't know what they will do about angled ships tbh, right now, even in my Des Moines which has amazing pen, everything thats angled has to be treated with HE.

Palmer_v1

Guys, I've been gone for at least 6 months, but probably much longer. What's the biggest changes since the official release? Is it worth getting back into right now?

DrSlek

Guys, I've been gone for at least 6 months, but probably much longer. What's the biggest changes since the official release? Is it worth getting back into right now?
New maps.
Lots of rebalancing. Many ships (mostly destroyers) have been hit with nerfs
German cruisers and Battleships have arrived
British Cruisers are about to be released
First French ship (premium) has been released
Season 2 of ranked battles is about to begin.

Palmer_v1

New maps.
Lots of rebalancing. Many ships (mostly destroyers) have been hit with nerfs
German cruisers and Battleships have arrived
British Cruisers are about to be released
First French ship (premium) has been released
Season 2 of ranked battles is about to begin.

How have DDs been nerfed?

DrSlek

How have DDs been nerfed?

If I remember correctly the Khabarovsk just had the range of her guns reduced. A while ago the detection range of torpedos was increased. Some cruisers now have access to a radar consumable to detect hidden ships (primarily for destroyers in smoke). I've read that the Gearing may be next to get hit with a nerf.

I forgot to mention there's also a new game mode called Bastion.

grmlin

WG basically wants to get rid of the long range torpedo soup. So they nerfed the detection range of JP torps heavily. It's almost impossible now to land more than one torp at 15-20km range. I don't even know if the 20km torps are still in the game. I play my Shima with the 8km Zao torps for the laughs.

Khaba got a substantial range nerf (it now has less range than a T7 DD in a world of sniping BBs at 20km) and the reload time was marginally increased by .3 s or something.

Beside that, there were tons of options added to the base game that previously needed a mod. Minimap and different crosshairs for example.

If you have some time you could go to youtube and enjoy some Update videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/worldofwarshipsCOM/videos

Palmer_v1

So if they're not able to effectively launch torps from outside detection range, what role are the DDs meant to play now?

Just scouting and capping?

Bombless

So if they're not able to effectively launch torps from outside detection range, what role are the DDs meant to play now?

Just scouting and capping?

Growing a pair of balls and getting in the thick of it.

You still can torp from stealth, just not from the other side of the map. You have to manage your stealth range limit and work for those devastating strike medals.

Also, while the IJN torp ranges have been nerfed, their torpedo speeds were increased.

grmlin

A shima has about 6km detection range, thats plenty of room to invisible drop your torps, all 3 types of them.

Even the Khaba can stealth torp.

Bombless

I have to say, after a few days with the Dunkerque, this ship is awesome. It requires a completely different play style than a regular battleship but I love it.

DrSlek

I have to say, after a few days with the Dunkerque, this ship is awesome. It requires a completely different play style than a regular battleship but I love it.

Right!? It's crap on paper, but somehow it's amazing to play!

I've been taking it into ranked battles. Starting from the bottom, and I can tell. Stuck in matches with BB captains spending their damage control at the first whiff of fire. Great for me when I'm spamming HE in my Dunk. Not so great when I see the same from my own team mates. Speccing against fire in my Dunk has been invaluable.

Also; very few people in the low tiers of ranked seem to understand the concept of armour angling. I found myself facing off against another Dunkerque, both bow on and within 7KM. Needless to say every AP round was just bouncing off of both of us. So I switched to HE to start fires, and subsequently got yelled at by my team.

Bombless

Yes! I've been using the Dankship almost exclusively in Ranked but now I've made it to rank 15 and cannot use it anymore :(

I took AFT in order to boost the pathetic AA range but maybe I should just bite it and get the pyromaniac skill instead. Nothing like firing one HE volley, see the fool extinguish the fire and fire a new volley, setting them ablaze all over haha. Also the amount of destroyers you can delete with that is hilarious.

I am now working towards Bismark so I can have some fun with that 10km deathzone. So sad I can't use it in Ranked anymore :(

I don't know how it is on the US servers but atm the EU is nothing but Battleships at tier 5 and above. It's really annoying when you try to play with a cruiser. Games with often 5 BBs on each side, 2 cruisers, 2 dds and 1 cv. It's horrible.

grmlin

Right!? It's crap on paper, but somehow it's amazing to play!

I've been taking it into ranked battles. Starting from the bottom, and I can tell. Stuck in matches with BB captains spending their damage control at the first whiff of fire. Great for me when I'm spamming HE in my Dunk. Not so great when I see the same from my own team mates. Speccing against fire in my Dunk has been invaluable.

Also; very few people in the low tiers of ranked seem to understand the concept of armour angling. I found myself facing off against another Dunkerque, both bow on and within 7KM. Needless to say every AP round was just bouncing off of both of us. So I switched to HE to start fires, and subsequently got yelled at by my team.

Everybody told me the Sims is a bad DD, shit torps and whatnot.

It may be my favourite ship in the game, so much fun. Knife fighter, DD killer, I love it. No other of my ships beats it average xp wise I think, even with the recent patch nerfing xp into the ground.

Bombless

Everybody told me the Sims is a bad DD, shit torps and whatnot.

It may be my favourite ship in the game, so much fun. Knife fighter, DD killer, I love it. No other of my ships beats it average xp wise I think, even with the recent patch nerfing xp into the ground.

In the previous "Torps or GTFO" DD meta it was indeed a shit vessel. Now that WG has properly established the different DD styles and balanced them it shines at what it does, which is what you said, close range brawler, eating other DDs for breakfast and deleting bbs with torp ambushes. It's also a good little credits making machine and a favourite for XXX thousand hits mission, along with the Atlanta.

grmlin

In the previous "Torps or GTFO" DD meta it was indeed a shit vessel. Now that WG has properly established the different DD styles and balanced them it shines at what it does, which is what you said, close range brawler, eating other DDs for breakfast and deleting bbs with torp ambushes. It's also a good little credits making machine and a favourite for XXX thousand hits mission, along with the Atlanta.

This, and deleting broadside cruisers at < 10km with AP. I feel like a mini Atlanta then (I don't have one) :)

DrSlek

I just hit rank 17 in this match. At the end, and enemy New Mexico felt it would be a great idea to follow me as I turned away from him. He followed me within 6km for about 3 minutes, trying to pen my angled stern. When he hit half HP he decided he should give up on that plan. But I circled around an island and cut him off to finish him with my main guns.

Dunkerque is Funkerque.

ZwVlSTj.jpg

DrSlek

British Cruisers incoming on the 20th of this month....so 24-28 hours from now?

http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/ver-05_13-patchnotes/

• Starting from Tier II, each ship in this branch will brandish 152 mm main guns. On one hand, this means that these guns have a high firing rate. On the other hand, their ballistic properties and penetration will not be top notch and the maximum AP/HE shell damage will be low.
  • All ships in this branch will only have AP shells. However, these shells will boast excellent ricochet angles and low fuse arming delay times, which will significantly decrease the number of ricochets and overpenetrating hits.
  • Their engines have great dynamic properties. They provide good acceleration and they lose less speed when turning.
  • Starting from Tier III, all ships in this branch feature torpedo tubes with decent characteristics: torpedo ranges, speeds and damage make these torpedo tubes not just an auxiliary armament but a weapon that performs just as well as the ships' main batteries.
  • Moreover, torpedoes can be launched from these torpedo tubes one by one, which provides new tactical opportunities because players will be able to set the trajectory of each individual torpedo when launching.
  • The cruisers have average or relatively low speed, but boast excellent manoeuvrability.
  • Their hulls lack heavy armour protection and have a relatively high beam. In contrast to their peers, this results in fewer overpenetrating hits (which deal minimal damage) received from large-calibre shells at close ranges.
  • The ships have relatively compact dimensions and low detectability.
  • The Defensive AA Fire consumable is not available on the ships in this branch. The basic effectiveness of these ships' AA defenses is low (with the exception of Tier IX - X ships equipped with powerful dual-purpose guns that have a long firing range).
  • The Smoke Generator consumable is available for the ships in this branch from from Tier V onwards.
  • The Surveillance Radar consumable is available from Tier VIII onwards, and it can be used in place of the Smoke Generator consumable.
  • The Repair Party consumable is available from Tier III onwards. Its effectiveness exceeds that of ordinary consumables from Tier VIII it becomes much more efficient comparing to ordinary cruiser consumable.

The bolded make these cruisers sound super OP.

Bombless

The torpedo thing and AP shells sound quite good. The repair party isn't that big of a thing given the ship is made of paper.

Testing will tell.

grmlin

Watched some streams yesterday, and while they can deal massive damage, everything that angles is more or less safe.

It looks to be good AP, but you'll still get many many bounces using it on anything not broadside. Even angled DDs will bounce shells all the time.

I can't wait to play them though, this game needs something new and different.

mitchman

Gold Member
British cruisers will only be really good in the hand of good players. They are very unforgiving so I expect the random bad or average player to suffer spectacular deletions by battleships in them.
If you're good in an Atlanta, I expect you'll do well in these cruisers at higher tiers. If not, you'll die quickly.

grmlin

Luckily I don't have much time for them right now as Civ 6 is coming.

I'll play them later then. Or even better, Nikolai for the lols.

Top Bottom