• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Double Dragon have the most random redesigns of any game heroes? The answer: YES!

Mzo

Arcade Double Dragon, NES Double Dragon 2 and Double Dragon Advance for me. The rest can kind of go screw.

Haha yeah, the international designs for boxarts are all over the place. It's pretty much a different "actor" every time.

Slightly off-topic, but is any version of Double Dragon III actually good? I have it for NES and it's unplayable. I mean, fuck. Surely someone must have fixed it at some point?
I dunno, I always felt that the combat in Double Dragon III NES was great.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Kinda reminds me of the box covers for the Great Giana Sisters:

200px-The_Great_Giana_Sisters_Coverart.png

Great_giana_sisters.jpg

20090816_gianasistersds.jpg

Pretty far out for a Super Mario Bros. clone.

Draft

Does anyone else remember the issue of Nintendo Power that had a big old picture of Kenshiro in its Double Dragon review/preview/article? I didn't know who Kenshiro was at the time, but I knew any game starring this guy has got to be excellent.

madmook

Haven't played any of the others, but I had DD2 The Revenge (NES) as a kid and I loved the shit outta that game.

Everytime I see Double Dragon mentioned I am reminded that it is not available on the Wii virtual console and it pisses me off. Fuck Nintendo.

Haven't played any of the others, but I had DD2 The Revenge (NES) as a kid and I loved the shit outta that game.

Everytime I see Double Dragon mentioned I am reminded that it is not available on the Wii virtual console and it pisses me off. Fuck Nintendo.

I really doubt that's Nintendo's fault. Pretty sure the rights to Double Dragon were super mixed up, and nobody owned it for a while. It's only been within the last YEAR that Majesco got the rights, and released the GB version on the eshop, and is releasing DD Neon this summer.

Slightly off-topic, but is any version of Double Dragon III actually good? I have it for NES and it's unplayable. I mean, fuck. Surely someone must have fixed it at some point?

The NES version IMO is by far the best version. The arcade version is terrible and the Genesis version is even worst.

Was this actually drawn by Tetsuo Hara, or is it just a shameless ripoff of his style?

Rip-off, just like the concept for the game itself. Though in this case it's a good thing.

I remember before the NES version came out everyone I knew used to think their names were Spike and Hammer because of that picture on the arcade marquee.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Between Last Battle on Genesis, and Double Dragon, the Hokuto Homages were apparently very strong in the west.

I wonder how much the enemey designs for the artist involved changed over these times, as well? Would love to see how Linda, Roper, Abobo, etc changed throughout time, as well.

Which reminds me, did anyone else have the strategy guide vhs, the "Game Players Guide to Double Dragon"? Those vids helped cement the character names in my head in the 90s... I would get those tapes whenever I saw them... even if they had games I never had. I think they might have motivated me to seek out Milon's Secret Castle...

(Note: Double Dragon series NES music is always SO GOOD.)

Between Last Battle on Genesis, and Double Dragon, the Hokuto Homages were apparently very strong in the west.

I wonder how much the enemey designs for the artist involved changed over these times, as well? Would love to see how Linda, Roper, Abobo, etc changed throughout time, as well.

Which reminds me, did anyone else have the strategy guide vhs, the "Game Players Guide to Double Dragon"? Those vids helped cement the character names in my head in the 90s... I would get those tapes whenever I saw them... even if they had games I never had. I think they might have motivated me to seek out Milon's Secret Castle...

(Note: Double Dragon series NES music is always SO GOOD.)

The Gamer's Guide video is hype as fuck.

"Now you must fight Willy and your brother. Use these techniques on both of them. Corner them, and don't stop kicking."

Last Battle was Fist of the North Star. They completely revamped it when they brought it over to the US like they did with "Black Belt" but it's a legit FotNS (2) game in Japan.

ferr

I really need to watch the double dragon movie. Also they should remake the game and have new characters available via DLC and alternate costumes from pre-ordering with gamestop.

Pyrrhus

Double Dragon really was a joyful bastard mashup up Bruce Lee, The Warriors, Mad Max, and everything else that was popular with the target audience of the day. I wish Way Forward had gone with a serious, loving take on the unintentional hilarity of the franchise instead of an over the top, too-cool-for-this parody. They got it wrong. The feel of DD was mid-to-late 70s grindhouse, not mid-80s kitsch.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Criminal Upper: Games Player guy made me forget he was from the 90s, lol. He wasn't EXTREEEEEME, and they didn't assault me with mohawks and and spray cans! Though I did get attacked by "Statagtites!" and "Loxars!" Rather than "Ropers"....

Herbspicesoy: So THAT'S why that Double Dragon cover seemed familiar... and the stage is also in SFA1 as Rose's! Gaming draws from the same places..

Last Battle was Fist of the North Star. They completely revamped it when they brought it over to the US like they did with "Black Belt" but it's a legit FotNS (2) game in Japan.

Oh, I know, just said it that was to be quick to the point. Even if it looks like crap, I wanna play the Sega Ages Remake someday, too!

I'd love to see an old school Double Dragon recieve a 100% Hokuto / FOTNS Skin. Dragon Spin Kick + Exploding Heads would be ridiculous, but cause manly tears to flow.

...Wish we heard more info on Hokuto Musou 2 by now, but that's neither here nor there... *ahem*

I was always partial to the DD2 NES box art.

It was just a great cover. The light glowing from the bottom, the whip wrapped around Billy's arm as he pulls aganist it, Marian looking oddly sexy for a videogame of the time (especially in the "uncensored" versions)... just a Badass cover.

---

For the record, newer footage of Double Dragon Neon looks better than the first stuff, just still not the somewhat serious gritty thing most fans would initially want. I'd love to see them release a skin / alt mode for the game that makes it more traditional (would love it even more if it was just a free bonus with the game.) Change the High Fives to quick, understated Bro-Fist, make the enemies have the look and design of the classic games, and take out the tap-rewind revival mechanic, and just work on normal life-gaining through score.

Oh, I know, just said it that was to be quick to the point. Even if it looks like crap, I wanna play the Sega Ages Remake someday, too!

Ah I see.

Also, not only does the Sega Ages game look like crap, it plays like crap too. They pretty much butchered the Mark III game. Not only did they cut nearly all the bosses but they couldn't even be assed to make full levels and just had you walk to one end of the (very short)stage and back to the other end. =P

Best part about the Sega Ages version was it included an emulation of the original game as well as an insert card that has some art and background info.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Double Dragon II: The Revenge NES NA looks the best to me! Can't decide which is the worst cause there's so many crap ones! Also thanks for reminding me there was a DD movie. No really. Thanks... @_@

gunstarhero

That DD2 for the Famicon cover is epic - I want that on my wall!

The original DD on SMS was SO good. Played that game to death - and bragged to my NES owning friends about its 2-player awesomeness.

A rare victory for Sega back then.

Top Bottom