• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Double Dragon have the most random redesigns of any game heroes? The answer: YES!

tmarques

The original DD on SMS was SO good. Played that game to death - and bragged to my NES owning friends about its 2-player awesomeness.

A rare victory for Sega back then.

NES version looked, sounded and played infinitely better. I really don't think 2-player mode made up for all the flickering, headache-inducing colours, annoying music and horrible animation of the MS version.

Double Dragon really was a joyful bastard mashup up Bruce Lee, The Warriors, Mad Max, and everything else that was popular with the target audience of the day. I wish Way Forward had gone with a serious, loving take on the unintentional hilarity of the franchise instead of an over the top, too-cool-for-this parody. They got it wrong. The feel of DD was mid-to-late 70s grindhouse, not mid-80s kitsch.
Yeah. Outside of the games based on the cartoon & movie, Double Dragon has always been super grounded and truly captures what it is like to be a martial artist in a Bruce Lee-style martial arts movie. When you take a look at their moveset in Double Dragon 1, you can see how brutal their fighting style actually is by incorporating elbows and knees, and straddling guys to bash their face in mercilessly (also not to mention they're not against using crude weapons & knives).

Zekes!

Double Dragon II: The Revenge NES NA

Double_Dragon_II_-_The_Revenge_-_1988_-_Technos.jpg

Fuck, the nostalgia

I used to rent the fuck outta this game as a kid

Utako

Banned
Awesome OP!

The DD characters were only as deep as "dudes in their 20s." They can change for any region or era.

Zekes!

Now if only the game itself looked like that.

I really hope WayForward is going to overhaul the graphic style of game. If it looked anything like the artwork, I'd be ecstatic.

Just looked up Double Dragon Neon

....not really feeling it man.

I always wondered about this cover , Why does Jimmy Have Marian? I thought she was Billy's girlfriend.
That's not the only problem, considering the story for that game.

Still my favorite piece of Double Dragon artwork. (Though that DD Neon epic brofist piece is pretty great.)

Zee-Row

Banned
It shocked me as a kid that Marian didn't get kidnapped in Double Dragon 2 like most damsels in distress, she got fucking shot on the spot. I remember thinking "What the Fuck!" when I first saw that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I always wondered about this cover , Why does Jimmy Have Marian? I thought she was Billy's girlfriend.

Naaa, you're thinking about it too deeply. "Blue guy, Red guy. Red draws the eye better. Put him first. They're twins anyway. Gamers can figure it out."

Alternatively, "Player 1 is strongest, he pushes player two and the damsel back. But make sure they look cool, even if they're being protected!"

Hell no, all these art boxes shows the culture of the time. A lost art in today's industry.

Naaa, modern boxart still reflects the culture and trends of modern day life... the world at large just like crappier stuff!

In reality, a lot of it looks like movie, novel, and comic artist from the era got a time to make what they wanted, and there was no "THIS is game art!" style yet. Also, the Art on boxes had to speak for a lot more about "How does this look to the creator?!?" back then, since pixels on 8 bit systems weren't that kinda detailed.

Maybe we could go back to this, by letting artist make crazy visions of "What do YOU think game X looks like?!?" for box arts, but it's just not needed anymore...

The only good thing about the Double Dragon movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7I7OMMxBV0

After watching Marian get beat up and shot in the games, I never had an issue with watching Alyssa Milano actually be able to do more than need saving in that movie... plus she was a lot cuter than Marian of the Cartoon, who I think was just a crappy cop...

gunstarhero

NES version looked, sounded and played infinitely better. I really don't think 2-player mode made up for all the flickering, headache-inducing colours, annoying music and horrible animation of the MS version.

Eh...I don't know about that - They both having horrible flickering. I'll have to play them again to be sure, but pretty sure the NES version was the uglier of the 2.

NES version was a better game tho - but if you wanted the arcade, SMS was the closest you got back then.

Zee-Row

Banned
Eh...I don't know about that - They both having horrible flickering. I'll have to play them again to be sure, but pretty sure the NES version was the uglier of the 2.

NES version was a better game tho - but if you wanted the arcade, SMS was the closest you got back then.

I liked the platforming sections and extra areas the NES version had also. The also liked the color pallet of the NES version. SMS seemed washed out , but the SMS tunes did sound cool if you used that FM adaptor.

I played the fuck out of the Tiger Electronics version back in the day, less so of the NES version.

So I still love this art...

6701812017_06c65950f7.jpg

Also, I fucking hate Genzoman's art... I'm really bummed about Double Dragon Neon on all levels.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm still amazed that a U.S. studio greenlit a movie called Double Dragon. It's straight-up Engrish.
What's really funny is that a movie with the same title, but less awkward, had already been made... in Hong Kong.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I remember reading a translated postmortem on a bunch of the DD games from one of the Technos/Million guys where he outlined the ridiculous amount of ideas/content that had to be scrapped from the games he worked on due to ROM size, budget, etc. I've never really liked any of the games in the series but I was fascinated by how thoroughly he'd thought about the games and how seriously he took the whole aesthetic. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

andymcc

Banned
Hirohiko Araki, in the same style of Jojo part one (almost contemporary of Double Dragon in fact), which actually had a sort of Hara 'inspiration'.

wow, that's awesome.

too bad the complete Famicom cart goes for so much. that'd be awesome to own for the sweet box art.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
No fucking way, he's Iron Chef? headexplode

And Wo Fat. Mark Dascascos gets around. He was the last of the B-movie martial arts action stars, right before the entire thing almost died completely ten years ago.

The other guy (Scott Wolf a.k.a. Bailey from Party of Five, who has a name far cooler than he should) is also popping up everywhere now... NCIS, V, and a few other things.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So Double Dragon II: The Revenge came out on Virtual Console today. SEE WHAT YOU"VE DONE?!?!

.... Thank you? XD

Really, get the Double Dragon NEON guys to include a port of the iPhone game with Neon... that'd make me happy. XD ( This would never happen, eh? :/ )

Top Bottom