• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The texture work in Witcher 3 was very bad by my weird standard.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
guess i must be going blind then. game still looks pretty good to me and i'm playing the "worst" version on the xbone

Pretty good is not the same as amazing though. I am doing my first playthrough on the PS4 right now. Can't say I am really impressed by anything technically.

Hey, it's not the most thorough and detailed mod ever, it's not what's being done for RE4 for e.g., but it does clear out some of the low res textures that were quite evident in the game.

The more attention that is brought towards the RE4 project the better, they deserve far more praise than they get because it's the most impressve of any retexture project I've ever seen.

Those textures are barely of higher quality, maybe higher resolution but it most often makes almost no difference at all other than stylistically.

I don't see the point of this mod. It's certainly no RE4 HD texture project.

Davide

byBbzv4.jpg

No mods.
Man, Horizon Zero Dawn may be technically better but there's something about the look of The Witcher 3 that I like more.

If i remember correctly game was eating 1,2-1,5gb vram on 1080p with ultra textures so these are really fantastic textures for what it takes.

Some pics from my game (only STLM active)

witcher3_2016_02_25_1ggsfb.jpg

42hfs5d.jpg

Any better game sample without any textures mod while eating 1,2-1,5gb vram?

Tagyhag

I agree, some of the textures of houses and rocks looked low-res.

That said, the texture of characters? Superb.

Played on the PS4 myself, and wasn't put off for a single moment by the visuals. Quite the opposite in fact.

If that's what it takes to make one of the most gorgeous, massive and downright glorious games I've ever played, more power to em.

Tyaren

It helps if you don't look for a particularly empty part of a forest while the weather is overcast and them compare it to a foliage heavy forest area at dawn.

I was actually not trying to make the Witcher 3 look ugly, it is my favorite game this generation, but it did age on consoles.
I really hope the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro patches will upgrade its visuals by a few notches.

By the way, every forest in Horizon is heavy foliaged. ;)

thelastword

Banned
Man, Horizon Zero Dawn may be technically better but there's something about the look of The Witcher 3 that I like more.
Perhaps you prefer the art or the world, but as far as detail, it's not even close...

Also, Witcher 3 has so many low res textures littered throughout the world, you don't even have to go behind cabins or rocks or places where most devs would try to cut corners as it relates to detail, there are many flat textures of every variety in the foreground where you traverse and play...You take any pic of Witcher 3 and inspect it's composition, apart from some nice details on the main characters, building textures, ground textures are very flat, items like thatch, grain on the floor too..., it's right there when you play. Reference this video someone just linked me to see what I'm talking about. Also, this video which is a more advanced version and better put together video of the improvements.

If i remember correctly game was eating 1,2-1,5gb vram on 1080p with ultra textures so these are really fantastic textures for what it takes.

Some pics from my game (only STLM active)

witcher3_2016_02_25_1ggsfb.jpg

42hfs5d.jpg

Any better game sample without any textures mod while eating 1,2-1,5gb vram?

Yeah, it didn't use much vram, but look at the composition of that shot, as I mentioned above, the background and ground textures are not impressive at all.

Now look at some closeups foreground and background composition of HZD for e.g.

35313060483_5a0d0d46f6_o.png

DEu_A70z_Xs_AAj1k_E.jpg

36121232055_39f1ab27f6_o.png

36099480295_b6d6c3631c_o.png

From the console screenshot thread....

arcticice

Didn't notice anything like it, i was actually astonished at how awesome the game looks. Can't say i had the same feeling while playing MGS V though.

P.S. comparison with Horizon or any other exclusive is unfair, they get to focus on one machine and are able to push it to the limit. Also. there's a 2 years difference between them

jediyoshi

Textures are definitely not the witcher's strength, neither is foliage, but I digress...In this generation however, we expect even our open world games to have decent texture work like; Primal, HZD, MGS5 etc...

Here's a mod illustrated by Candyland that shows some of the weak textures in that game and the improvements derived...

Video

In which OP doesn't actually make a point whatsoever.

Duderino

Probably the higher contrast and saturation. Perceptively it helps hide some of the lighting limitations and asthetically gives it a more dramatic look. Personally I prefer something more subdued, but with their tech they made the right call. Geurilla of course had their own bag of tricks to with Horizon. For example the crazy thick atomsphetic fog, especially in regions with woods and mountains. That's no accident, but like the decisions CD project red made, also served a stylistic purpose.

theclaw135

Banned
So um... what games do have PHENOMENAL textures? No day is complete without juicy pics of 6gb vram crunching monsters.

Edit: I forgot there's 12gb gpus now.

thelastword

Banned
Sorry for being so out of touch, OP mentions Primal, is he referring to the PS2 game?
Well I won't litter the thread with screens, but I'm thinking many persons are familiar with most of the games mentioned via the screenshot thread at least, if they don't own the game.
But yes, Farcry Primal has very nice foliage and textures, so does Watchdogs 2, so you can go see some pics on these games. Arkham just ooozes detail as far as open world games go, so you definitely want to check that out. So much for some posters saying that if Witcher was a Sony exclsuive I'd be more inclined to praise it, which is so far from the truth because I've always had praise for third party games that have excelled in visuals.

Lol such a tiny tiny tiny difference. You wont even notice while playing.
Have you seen the 10 minute video I posted of the 4.6 version of one of the Witcher mods....

Maybe it's not signiifcant to you, but the difference is not insignificant. I've heard so many people make a fuss over higher lod, better AF, so improvements to textures in any capacity is not insignificant, they're pretty substantial in some instances here.

I'm pretty sure if the devs decides to spruce up the texture work for the upcoming XBONEX patch, nobody will say it's tiny of insignificant.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Eh. This game constantly amazes me on all fronts. Texturework included. Are there less than ideal textures? Yes. Does every game, especially huge open world games have this issue? Yes.

Overall Wuld Hunts graphics are a stunning achievement. And this is coming from someone who never understood the praise for TW2's graphics.

Tyaren

So um... what games do have PHENOMENAL textures? No day is complete without juicy pics of 6gb vram crunching monsters.

Edit: I forgot there's 12gb gpus now.

The already mentioned Horizon as great textures. This is an NPC in front of a random rock wall in the desert:

32366657863_869bd08c13_o.png

32336608144_de01042faf_o.png

33140086926_2d870bd6cf_o.png

33054022771_3cd3704014_o.png

thelastword

Banned
How about pixelated textures?

DFjj_puUAAAg_mj

(I think Horizon looks amazing 99% of the time though)
Bad JPG, full of compression, but the texturework still shows it's strength, there's depth to the textures and it's not all flat.....The water seems to be a bug....

These are helping the other guys argument more than yours.
I guess we may have a different set of eyes..Are you saying you can't see those low rez textures in the Witcher backgrounds and ground from the pics that poster used? Also, there's a difference between DOF and low rez textures...

I think you either been playing the console versions, or not maxing out the texture quality on PC. I played it recently and I was floored by the textures in the environments and characters, especially Geralt. The surprising thing for me is that the game isn't even VRAM hungry at all.

1. The goal of a texture artist isn't to just maximize resolution and sharpness.
2. That mod looks worse. Honestly, it completely breaks the normal maps in some cases.
3. The Witcher has a very intentional style that is like a storybook, and having 'hyper' real textures look out of place.

Zemm

Thelastword thread. I remember jasec having to take this guy down quite a few times in hilarious fashion. I don't think I've ever seen him be right about anything.

Bad JPG, full of compression, but the texturework still shows it's strength, there's depth to the textures and it's not all flat.....The water seems to be a bug....

I guess we may have a different set of eyes..Are you saying you can't see those low rez textures in the Witcher backgrounds and ground from the pics that poster used? Also, there's a difference between DOF and low rez textures...

The water is not a bug, it looks like that in game. It's ok don't worry Horizon still looks great even if it has some bad textures.

gogosox82

I'm not the biggest W3 fan but it's a great looking game with really strong texture work. Yes, there are some bad textures here and there but it's an open world game. All open world games have some bad textures. Hell, most games do because you don't have an unlimited budget with an unlimited amount of time.

Eternia

Wasn't there a Need for Speed thread where the PS4 version's ground texture was missing and thelastword claimed it was better than the Xbox One version which did not have that issue?

Tyaren

The water is not a bug, it looks like that in game. It's ok don't worry Horizon still looks great even if it has some bad textures.

That is an exception though. I certainly never came across water this pixelated in the game. And I do keep my eyes open, I literally photographed every tree leaf in Horizon. XD

Speaking of tree leaves, I was surprised by the quality of the leaves here in the background:

35050917754_932af37f5b_o.png

thelastword

Banned
Didn't notice anything like it, i was actually astonished at how awesome the game looks. Can't say i had the same feeling while playing MGS V though.

P.S. comparison with Horizon or any other exclusive is unfair, they get to focus on one machine and are able to push it to the limit. Also. there's a 2 years difference between them
Hey I liked the desert textures in MGSV, I think it was quite accurate...

TBF, great texture work doesn't always have to depict coarse materials and show 3D depth to be impressive, it all depends on what you are rendering and how true it's depicted to it's real-life conterpart. I don't expect a racetrack road surface to be full of stones or potholes with 3d depth for textures, but I also don't expect to see flat cobbelstone textures, generally weak ground textures and low rez wood, thatch and other materials in the environment, on buildings and houses in a modern day game so glaringly...

The already mentioned Horizon as great textures. This is an NPC in front of a random rock wall in the desert:

32366657863_869bd08c13_o.png

32336608144_de01042faf_o.png

33140086926_2d870bd6cf_o.png

33054022771_3cd3704014_o.png
Thanks, tbh, I just took the last set of HZD shots that was posted in the screenshot thread, but your images nails it even better....I still believe the images I posted did not have bad background textures like that poster took of the Witcher 3 and therefore made my point...

I'm still surprised that people are not aware of the strengths and weaknesses of these openworld games as far as graphics are concerned. Textures are not a problem for HZD, nor Batman Arkham, but it is a weakness for Witcher, hence the low requirements for best textures. I'm just pointing out something which I think was weak in the game apart from foliage on a graphical level.

Tried asking yourself this question with those Horizon pics you posted?
Those pics did not have super low rez textures in the backgrounds and ground like I saw in the Witcher shots, but please show me where the depth of textures shown in the shots I posted is somehow less impressive than the witcher shots posted by Dream_Journey......

leng jai

What's the point of this thread? TW3 came out 2 years ago and it's one of the biggest games going around. Horizon is significantly smaller and catered to one system.

Why don't you make a thread about how awful Titanfall 2's textures are? You're not fooling anyone here.

Tyaren

Thanks, tbh, I just took the last set of HZD shots that was posted in the screenshot thread, but your images nails it even better....I still believe the images I posted did not have bad background textures like that poster took of the Witcher 3 and therefore made my point...

I'm still surprised that people are not aware of the strengths and weaknesses of these openworld games as far as graphics are concerned. Textures are not a problem for HZD, nor Batman Arkham, but it is a weakness for Witcher, hence the low requirements for best textures. I'm just pointing out something which I think was weak in the game apart from foliage on a graphical level.

To be fair, The Witcher 3 had not only one of the first big open worlds this generation, but it is also huge in size. Probably up to three times the size of Horizon, if you include Toussaint.

Do you know, what I think The Witcher 3 still does better than Horizon? The lighting for example, especially evening light and the transition from dusk to night and night to dawn.

That is an exception though. I certainly never came across water this pixelated in the game. And I do keep my eyes open, I literally photographed every tree leaf in Horizon. XD

I have a screenshot from the same room at a different angle. They just got lazy sometimes with the textures. Happens in every game.

Even the base of the water in the little pond thing or whatever you wanna call it looks like an early PS3 gen texture.

Tyaren

I have a screenshot from the same room at a different angle. They just got lazy sometimes with the textures. Happens in every game.

To make a point you would need to show us another location with terrible water textures not the same terrible water just from another angle. ;)

Reflections are by the way in general also not Horizon's strenghts...

thelastword

Banned
It had great texture work, just the models were low poly.
Thank you, I thought it did, especially texturing what it set out to...

its a thinly veiled HZD vs witcher 3 thread
I didn't want to post too many pics, but Watchdogs 2, Arkham, Primal are three third party games I find to have excellent texture work and there are many more.......So it's not an HZD vs Witcher thread...Have we forgotten how good those third party games look?

As long as you admit you have weird standards.
Hey, I did not edit the thread title......I dont think my standards are weird either....You compare those games I mentioned higher up and they all have superior texture work and detail. It's not even an opinion tbh...

What's the point of this thread? TW3 came out 2 years ago and it's one of the biggest games going around. Horizon is significantly smaller and catered to one system.

Why don't you make a thread about how awful Titanfall 2's textures are? You're not fooling anyone here.

This thread screams fanboyism.

Thelastword thread. I remember jasec having to take this guy down quite a few times in hilarious fashion. I don't think I've ever seen him be right about anything.
Isn't this thread whining? you guys are not forced to participate, but if your opinions are so skewed, you can always vacate the thread.....There is no substance in these type of posts..

Top Bottom