• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Complete Edition Performance Thread

Did this release for consoles yet?

What should I play this on? Have it on ps5, pc (and switch before I had a steam deck).

Pc is 3060ti rtx, ryzen 3600, 16gb ddr4.

I am only running at 1080p, so I am hoping I can run ray tracing like I do with cyberpunk. Both pc and ps5 are at 1080p as I still don't have a 4k display(hard to justify the cost when my TV is fine).

As long as I get 45+ fps I'm fine. Guess I'll try both if it's out.

Zathalus

Dunno why people are testing novigrad, go tot he DLC area next to the castle, that's where its really demanding if you get 50 in novigrad u will go below 30's there.
Went there, seems to be as taxing as Novigrad for me. Both drop me to the mid 30s.

Zathalus

What should I play this on? Have it on ps5, pc (and switch before I had a steam deck).

I am only running at 1080p, so I am hoping I can run ray tracing like I do with cyberpunk. Both pc and ps5 are at 1080p as I still don't have a 4k display(hard to justify the cost when my TV is fine).

3060ti and 1080p? PC for sure, you won't get any resolution advantages if playing the PS5 version and at 1080p with DLSS quality you should be able to have RTGI and RTAO and near 60FPS with some dips in the most stressful areas.

DavidGzz

So they are mostly community mods, right? That's probably why it isn't super optimized and why they didn't charge any money cause they they would have to pay the modders. Or maybe they did pay them anyway? That would be cool.

Del_X

Crashes every 10 minutes. Latest nvidia drivers. I’ll try a reinstall but windowed borderless and full screen don’t seem to change it. 4090/12900ks/64GB DDR5.

sertopico

Wait. Didn't we all delete this file to make rtss run ?
It's gonna grab it from Window's system files. There's no reason whatsoever they put that file in the game folders.
They outsourced this update and the team wasn't clearly capable of doing it properly, or they just didn't have enough time to make it right, prioritizing the console versions, basically the opposite of what happened to CP2077, but here we're talking about a free update at least.

Just remember what happened to the GTA Remasters as well...

PS: one of the dxvk-proton developers wrote that the game isn't actually using a wrapper, rather that the team derped the whole DX12 code on one SINGLE core. This means we might get better performances with a fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GymWolf

8600k, 3070, the game is unplayable with RT on.

Ultra+ does 30 - 50 fps with stuttering in many areas.

This is at 4k resolution.

Haven't had the time to experiment with more settings.

I'm totally upgrading to raptor lake next month. GPU will have to wait as none of the current options really convince me.
I think that our cpu (i have the same) is too old for any heavy rtx my dude.

yamaci17

I think that our cpu (i have the same) is too old for any heavy rtx my dude.
locked 30 or 35 fps should be possible (if you are okay with that, like me). game only uses like 4 cores even with ray tracing lol. 8600k has better IPC / single core than my aging zen cpu so if i can get locked 40 in most locations (except novigrad), im sure 8600k would too

sertopico

Can you link it please?

The modders did get paid.
It's a second hand info I got from a CDP forum user, so take it with a grain of salt. I was looking for the source with no luck. Maybe the ProtonDB Forums? Common opinion is they used a translation layer to port the dx11 game into dx12, which is not recommended even from MS itself. This causes lots of CPU overhead.

GymWolf

locked 30 or 35 fps should be possible (if you are okay with that, like me). game only uses like 4 cores even with ray tracing lol. 8600k has better IPC / single core than my aging zen cpu so if i can get locked 40 in most locations (except novigrad), im sure 8600k would too
Oh, i don't give a fuck about rtx so i'm probably gonna run the whole thing at 4k60 even with my current system.

yamaci17

Oh, i don't give a fuck about rtx so i'm probably gonna run the whole thing at 4k60 even with my current system.
yes of course i wish dlss was available on dx11 though. 4k dlss quality on dx12 gives 100+ frames or so with 3070 but i would like the cpu bound performance and stability of d11...

DanEON

My game suddenly drops from 50fps to 15fps and its unplayable. Then I have to restart the game to get it back to normal. Anyone else getting this issue?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My game suddenly drops from 50fps to 15fps and its unplayable. Then I have to restart the game to get it back to normal. Anyone else getting this issue?
Same here. If I fast travel back and forth to few cities, the game goes to amazing 8fps for good few minutes.
I can alt tab to maaaybe help. Similar like in Resident evil 2 with RT update. Probably memory leak

Shtef

I will wait for couple of months until they fix all this performance issues and bugs, until then i have other games to play.

Last edited:

Filben

Crashes every 10 minutes. Latest nvidia drivers. I’ll try a reinstall but windowed borderless and full screen don’t seem to change it. 4090/12900ks/64GB DDR5.
Don't bother. Let me save you time by saying I already tried that, even rolling back to earlier drivers.

Wait for the devs doing their job and fix it, and don't spend your time on something that isn't wrong on your end.

DavidGzz

Everything's fine until I start using igni on groups of enemies. Especially when it's the guard in novigrad. Slide show. Fml

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

PC on DX11. Don't bother with RT. It's broken on PC and on consoles, you end up with a significantly lower resolution image and a 30fps cap that's not even steady.

I would honestly say; don't play it at all until it's fixed. It's not very good on any system.

Denton

I like how RTGI changes how textures look to something much more realistic.
For example the stone floor here, looks like some flat grey tile in rasterized:

thewitcher3screenshotine1d.png

Meanwhile with RT, the whole scene is lit properly and floor actually looks like it is supposed to:

thewitcher3screenshot4fcta.png

yamaci17

yeah but it is only 1 bounce. that floor should've been lighter. clearly that location gets a lot of light. it being that dark makes no sense, a clear limitation of single bounce RT GI.

here's an example

portal rtx only 1 bounce
BSR1Ggk.png

2 bounce...
2kvpAJi.png

metro exodus 1 bounce rtgi vs multi bounce rtgi (enhanced edition)

W4twXGF.png

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I like how RTGI changes how textures look to something much more realistic.
For example the stone floor here, looks like some flat grey tile in rasterized:

thewitcher3screenshotine1d.png

Meanwhile with RT, the whole scene is lit properly and floor actually looks like it is supposed to:

thewitcher3screenshot4fcta.png
Let me guess, the one too dark is rtgi

flying_sq

5900x @ 4.7
3090ti
1440p dlss quality
Everything maxed
45-60+fps
GPU is around 70-80% usage, cpu is around 20%

Last edited:
I reverted back to 1.32 to compare performance and wow, the frame time graph says it all. It is dead flat in 1.32. All the microstutter is why 4.0 feels like hot trash.

UzBri50.jpg

timothet

So they are mostly community mods, right? That's probably why it isn't super optimized and why they didn't charge any money cause they they would have to pay the modders. Or maybe they did pay them anyway? That would be cool.
According to technical support staff member Karolina ‘Vinthir’ Niewęgłowska from CDPR forums, modders were reimbursed and added to game credits. Here is post mentioning it, second to last paragraph.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
As a new player. What's the best way to gather ingredients for all the bombs and what not? They're very particular in regards to what's needed to craft. Any pointers?

Pagusas

Elden Member
So I have a 4090/7950 and was seeing sub 60 stutters in towns and cities with RT Ultra+. There is a post on Reddit showing where to get a new dx12 file for the game. I did it, replaced it, and now the game performs like a champ, no more sub 60 drops, turning vsync off I can tell I went from 54fps at worst In cities to 67.

yamaci17

So I have a 4090/7950 and was seeing sub 60 stutters in towns and cities with RT Ultra+. There is a post on Reddit showing where to get a new dx12 file for the game. I did it, replaced it, and now the game performs like a champ, no more sub 60 drops, turning vsync off I can tell I went from 54fps at worst In cities to 67.
hmm what file are u referencing=?

Zathalus

Link?

lukilladog

I hope there is no many people surprised by this, CDPR has been such an Nvidia shill since Witcher 2, by giving direct code access to their engineers, whose ultimate directive is to push sales of their latest and greatest cards... no matter the cost and no matter how silly their "feature" implementations are.

well-goldblum.gif

Ps.- And I'm not even speculating ok, we have seen the official nvidia communicates on why they send their engineers to studios (to ultimately "push hardware sales"), and we have seen pictures of CDPR developers posing at their office, along with nvidia engineers.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I would say looting everything in your way is a good strat.
But if you have a lot of money you can go to any alchemist shop and you can buy a lot of ingredients there.

Is there any specific items you are struggling to get?

Yeah for that moon wraith at the well.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Might have to play less structured and just goes with it. But seeing you need very specific ingredients it makes roaming around a bit.. well.. Not sure how to call it

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Don't worry every single CPU is to "old" for this next gen witcher, the only way to get 60 is to frame generate lol.

Top Bottom