• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Complete Edition Performance Thread

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Here are the results at 1080p, 1440p, and 4K Ultra+ settings. The resolution is listed on the bottom left corner but we start from 1080p down to 4K from top to bottom:

MZFNsUk.png

Bl0PUDw.png

JTzu42K.png

Seems that you need a 6800 to play at 4K/60fps Ultra+. Minimums of 56fps and average of 62. You either need to turn down the resolution or a few settings to get 60fps at 4K on lower-tier cards. A 2070 Super/5700 XT will suffice at 1440p, and the little GTX 1080 still holds strong at, well, 1080p.

So far so good, right? Well the problem is when you throw RT into the equation. It seems ray tracing is severely CPU-limited. Even when I turn everything to the highest setting, my CPU usage never goes above 20-25% while my GPU usage caps at around 80-85%, meaning there's a lot of performance left on the table.

Here are the results at 1080p, 1440p, and 4K at Ultra+/RT. There are also the results with DLSS/FSR Quality mode.

rc83CIx.png

rpE2qCS.png

1lpcXde.png

What immediately stands out is the 4090 going from 148fps at 4K Ultra+ down to a whopping 47fps by just adding RT. That's a 68% drop in performance and a net loss of 101fps which is utterly insane. That's Cyberpunk levels of demanding.

But something else also stands out. Notice that the GPU at the top of the 1440p and 1080p graphs show almost identical performance? This is because the game with RT is heavily CPU-bound. As I said above, my usage never goes above 20-25% on my 13900K while my GPU usage caps out at around 80-85% meaning there's a lot of performance left on the table.

It's no wonder the consoles are running RT mode at 30fps. This game, just like Callisto Protocol and Gotham Knights, is kind of fucked when it comes to RT. The CPU is poorly utilized. Likely the BVH striking again but I'm just guessing there. From what I've found online, the PS5 struggles to maintain its 30fps target in Quality mode.

I've also noticed pretty horrendous texture pop-ins, and DLSS is blurry as hell. FSR on the other hand has weird image artifacts.

I won't look at a gift horse in the mouth as it is a free update but the performance doesn't look like it is where it could be, especially in regards to RT which cripples performance more so than usual.

We'll wait for the analysis of guys like NxGamer and Digital Foundry but enabling RT at 4K doesn't seem to be a good idea unless you're on a 40 series card and enable frame generation. This adds some latency but helps to smooth out the frame rate. Performance without RT is decent considering the game looks significantly better than before but I think there are further optimizations to be had. Surely, it can be better.

What has been your experience so far?

Source

Edit: For those who want an fps counter, use the GeForce Experience one, it works. I assume it's the same for the AMD one. Other overlays such as RivaTuner or the Steam overlay are bugged and do not show up.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Think the Steam Overlay is bugged in DX12 mode because it doesnt pop up for me. I use the Steam in game FPS to gauge my games and it's not showing there.
In DX11 mode it shows up.

Looks like we can roll back to 1.32 in the beta channel in Properties.

Gaiff

Think the Steam Overlay is bugged in DX12 mode because it doesnt pop up for me. I use the Steam in game FPS to gauge my games and it's not showing there.

All overlays are fucked. If you need your fps counter, use the GeForce Experience overlay or whatever AMD has, they work. At least GeForce Experience does. RivaTuner doesn't work and neither does the Steam overlay.

Kenpachii

They didn't make a option for classic and new? like they just basically removed the entire old game? that would be fucked.

//DEVIL//

I can't run MSI afterburner. I can't see anything in terms of frames but I did notice it's below 60 frames by a little on my 4090.

however, I put frame generation up and it's butter smooth.

I also did not notice any input lag while playing with the controller and I am very sensitive to things like this ( play COD with a controller on PC so I feel any input lag ) ( yeah I know, do not start with the keyboard bs for fps. I tried, doesn't work for me, move on, ill still beat your ass in COD so don't quote me for it)

Also, add --launcher-skip to the launcher option on steam to get rid of the game's own launcher.

TheUsual

Gold Member
They didn't make a option for classic and new? like they just basically removed the entire old game? that would be fucked.
Unfortunately, it only looks like the old version is only available in the beta channel. It shows up as "classic v 1.32" there.
Would have been nice to have two versions.

ACESHIGH

Banned
So what does this version add for a PC gamer that can't run ray tracing but has been modding Witcher 3 since 2015?
Not worth the trade off right?

Gaiff

So what does this version add for a PC gamer that can't run ray tracing but has been modding Witcher 3 since 2015?
Not worth the trade off right?
I think it is provided you have the proper hardware. Obviously, it's quite a bit more demanding than the original version. A GTX 1080 could run at 1440p/60fps at the time but now it's been relegated to 1080p/60fps. For someone on that card, it would be a tough choice, especially if you're on a 1440p monitor.

But if you're on a more modern mid-range to high-end card, the tradeoff is worth it. This looks better at 1440p than the OG game at 4K.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I heard even high end PC cant run the game on ray tracing well enough.

GHG

Anyone looking for an FPS overlay use windows game bar. Win+G.

Getting extreme stuttering when I enable
dlss 3 frame generation. Turned it off, using just DLSS quality and getting over 70fps with everything turned up to max.

5800x3d

Not sure what the fix is for the frame gen stuff, first time trying it. Will see if I'm getting it in other games as well or whether it's just this one.

Kenpachii

For some reason i can't enable DLSS at all. Doing something wrong?

Anyway standing in the DLC city peformance is ass at ultra+ with FSR 2.0 raytracing.

But then again i use a old as shit driver, so lets update that first.

Edit, jup it was the driver that prevented me from using DLSS works now.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
For some reason i can't enable DLSS at all. Doing something wrong?

Anyway standing in the DLC city peformance is ass at ultra+ with FSR 2.0 raytracing.

But then again i use a old as shit driver, so lets update that first.

Edit, jup it was the driver that prevented me from using DLSS works now.

I'm having the same problem. What did you do to fix it?

Edit: For me, it was realizing that the Anti-aliasing slider is where you select either FSR or DLSS.

Last edited:

Hugare

Game is a mess

Not being able to reach a stable 30 FPS in Novigrad with a 3060 and DLSS with RT enabled is completely fucked up. I can play Cyberpunk on Psycho at 40 FPS.

My CPU is almost sleeping while I play. 15-20% in Novigrad, which is just absurd.

No matter what you change in terms of graphics or DLSS (Quality, Balanced, Performance), performance stays the same. Probably due to terrible CPU utilization.

And dont event try enabling FSR. Its's completely broken and full of artifacts.

Game looks amazing, but right now its completely broken on PC.

On consoles, I've tested it on my PS5, and performance mode is stable, but I really miss ray tracing. Quality mode looks amazing, but it runs terrible, far from a locked 30 FPS + framepacing.

Veredict: right now, you either play the game on consoles in Performance Mode or you bruteforce it with an amazing PC.

I'm gonna avoid it until CDPR release some patches

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I'm having the same problem. What did you do to fix it?

Edit: For me, it was realizing that the Anti-aliasing slider is where you select either FSR or DLSS.
Updated the driver, worked at that point. Seems like game is a bit iffy with RT tho, sometimes it crashes when u move to much settings around.

Also performance is horrible and frankly there is something wrong with the game entirely.

My experience so far.

No stock weight limit mod in the game, so u still have to mod it, terrible.
No teleport to anywhere mod incorporated which makes the game a absolute pain to play, so again gotta mod it.
No 21:9 support, still the sides are warped, so again have to mod that, terrible.

Microstutter when riding through demanding area's, as rivatuner isn't working i use geforce experience to see what performance i get.

Here are some examples of what i just tested:
3440x1440 resolution
9900k ( 8 core / 16 thread cpu ) with a 3080 oced, and 32gb of ram.
( can only see the FPS because rivatuner isn't working atm )

Location the DLC area and a demanding area at that.

Settings:

Ultra+, with raytracing on and max hairworks.

Dips below the 30 fps, and microstutter unplayable.

UwoTFrX.jpg

Settings:
Ultra+, with raytracing on and max hairworks, with DLSS ultra performance.

Stays above 30 fps, but microstutter at times noticable, unplayable.

RdZ5QzI.jpg

Settings:
Max settings, Hairworks max, no DLSS, NO RT:

Still can't hit 60 fps, drops down to low 50's.

helddCz.jpg

Settings:
Max settings, Hairworks max, DLSS Ultra performance, NO RT:

Performance gets worse jup.

ulP18xE.jpg

Settings: lowest settings preset.

T5n6zJf.jpg

What a joke, honestly its unplayable on PC. Crashes also when u mess around with settings ( can't even boot the game up anymore at this point lamo ), i uninstalled it. U better of playing the original at this point.

Good to see that DLSS finally clears the god dam pixel mess up in distances etc. It was really bad in the original and its completely gone with DLSS, however the performance is terrible.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Good news. DLSS3 was amazing in Spider-Man. Downloading patch now, can't wait to try it.

denzel-washington-thank-god.gif
4090+13700k with everything set to max on a 3840x1600 ultrawide and the lowest it has dipped was in Novigrad to 110 which was 100% acceptable to me lol. The game was already my favorite game of all time and now it's like experiencing it all over again for the first time. The only issue I have had so far is in the character menu Geralt has a odd texture glitch for some odd reason but perfectly fine in game. I took a bunch of screenshots but then realized I have w11 auto hdr on and when I viewed them in my folder they look blown out cause it doesn't carry those values over, so basically F.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
Hairworks on or off?

It used to tank performance back in the day, especially when you got attacked by a pack of wolves.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Anyone looking for an FPS overlay use windows game bar. Win+G.

Getting extreme stuttering when I enable
dlss 3 frame generation. Turned it off, using just DLSS quality and getting over 70fps with everything turned up to max.

5800x3d

Not sure what the fix is for the frame gen stuff, first time trying it. Will see if I'm getting it in other games as well or whether it's just this one.
Glad to hear you went with the 4090. I thought you were getting a 4080.

Vick

Won't make a huge difference, but at least disable RT shadows.
Rendering distance using them is inferior to any mode on Console resulting in noticeable pop-in and they won't even take into account leaves and branches which simply won't cast shadows.

Might be the overall heaviest RT implementation ever in a game, no wonder resolution is inferior on Consoles in this mode.
On Consoles PS5 Performance is by far the best option, as RT Modes have flikering issues and the Series X Performance Mode got much downgraded SSR, inferior framerate in Novigrad and LOD glitches in Kaer Morhen totally absent on PS5.

Mister Wolf

Won't make a huge difference, but at least disable RT shadows.
Rendering distance using them is inferior to any mode on Console resulting in noticeable pop-in and they won't even take into account leaves and branches which simply won't cast shadows.

Might be the overall heaviest RT implementation ever in a game, no wonder resolution is inferior on Consoles in this mode.
On Consoles PS5 Performance is by far the best option, as RT Modes have flikering issues and the Series X Performance Mode got much downgraded SSR, inferior framerate in Novigrad and LOD glitches in Kaer Morhen totally absent on PS5.

Sound advice. Honestly the RTXGI and RTAO are the only two worth the performance hit of utilizing.

GHG

Glad to hear you went with the 4090. I thought you were getting a 4080.

Saw one available at near enough MSRP in my country so grabbed it without thought. Still have the 4080 with me now which I'm deliberating about what to do with.

sertopico

On my PC, which consists of a 10700k@5GHz, 32 GB of RAM @4GHz, 3080 10 GB, the performance is quite bad by maxing the game out, and this is at 1440p DLSS quality. CPU and GPU usage are very low, which means something is wrong with this update, or that I'm just bottlenecked. Here's a couple of screens:

I wasn't expecting this, considering CP2077 runs MUCH better. I guess it's because it's a native DX12 game.

In order to make the overlays work, delete/rename the file called d3d11on12.dll present in the folder The Witcher 3\bin\x64_dx12.

witcher3_2022_12_14_1s0e7x.png

witcher3_2022_12_14_1m8d05.png

witcher3_2022_12_14_1ali12.png

witcher3_2022_12_14_157chi.png

witcher3_2022_12_14_18lcpp.png

Last edited:

Denton

Why is the RT so god damn CPU demanding?

I just did a test - run through Novigrad - on settings:

1280x720
DLSS Performance
Everything off / lowest (incl. population density)
RTGI ON
RT Reflections ON
RT Shadows OFF
RT Ambient Occlusion OFF

And result?

In Novigrad on these settings, game drops into low fifties in the “busy” places (like fish market). With 5800X3D and 3080Ti. And this is purely CPU limitation of course. GPU is not running fully utilized.
Meanwhile in Cyberpunk 5800X3D can keep 60 on significantly higher settings no problem - with one exception - market behind Tom’s Diner, where it can also drop into fifties.

I'm happy with the update on PC. I think I would have preferred the old 60fps mode on XSX to be honest though even with the much lower settings.

Putting RT to one side the Ultra+ settings run very well and seem to be a fair improvement. DLSS looks way better than the old TAAU and whatever they are doing with the console versions.

RT makes an absolutely huge difference to indirectly lit stuff but crushes performance so a real Uber Sampling setting for now.

Seems more responsive with Nvidia Reflex but I may be misremembering how bad it was before.

Not performance related but I'm just playing with a controller and the quick cast signs is a huge improvement.

sobaka770

Banned
RTX 3080 I tried maxxing out everything with DLSS Quality at 3440-1440 resolution and while I'm ok with 40-50 FPS, but the game micro-stutters like crazy which is not ok.
The 99% FPS is at 10 and CPU/GPU utilization is at 60-70% in Novigrad which is not normal.
No difference between DLSS Quality and Performance so I know the GPU can handle the load.

I think they should've held it out for early 2023, which is when the optimization patch will probably hit at this point.

Assaulty

Wait so the update isn't optional??? I am currently running through the witcher 3 on my steam deck and I just kinda want to keep the graphics on max in the old version.

Akuji

5900x and 6900xt here, 32gb of ram 3200 cl 19 and no luck.
RT is off the table in 1440p. FSR is on Auto and everything is on Ultra+ and i have severe stutters every now and then, framerate is dropping like once every 3-4 sec.
Not sure if they need to compile shader but it sure is annoying.

winjer

Gold Member
5900x and 6900xt here, 32gb of ram 3200 cl 19 and no luck.
RT is off the table in 1440p. FSR is on Auto and everything is on Ultra+ and i have severe stutters every now and then, framerate is dropping like once every 3-4 sec.
Not sure if they need to compile shader but it sure is annoying.

5800X3D and a 6800XT, 16GB of ram. Also 1440p.
At any setting I get a frame time spike every once in a while. I started moving in the same area, but still got the same spikes.
It's not from shader compilation. It's asset streaming.
The most I saw the game using was 7.2 GB of vram. With RT maxed out, the most I saw was 9.2GB of vram.
But I saw one guy with a 4090 and 32GB of ram using 13Gb of vram, and 14GB of ram.

BTW, for people having trouble with overlays, delete d3d11on12. It seems to serve only for compatibility with Win7, so it's useless for most people.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

Ryzen 5600x
32GB DDR4 3200Mhz 4x8GB single rank config
RTX 3050 8GB @ 2100/8300 @ 1.0volt

Runs 60-120fps, mostly averaging 80-ish @:
1080p
DLSS Quality, high sharpening
Hairworks on everything
Motion blur and Blur off because I don't like that
Everything else on Ultra +
NO ray tracing (Ray tracing takes this card down to a choppy 30fps which I don't enjoy playing)

Great looking game and a huge upgrade over the vanilla! Also enjoying the quality of life upgrades, new camera angles, etc. Abandoning my 50+ hour game from a few months ago to start new so I can re-experience everything with these new visuals.

EDIT: Game ships with DLSS 2.4.0, which looks fantastic. I changed it to DLSS 2.5.0 and it's either the same or maybe even a little better. Could be placebo. They both look incredible with sharpening set to high.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Why is the RT so god damn CPU demanding?
It doesn't appear to be. It just seems to underutilize the CPU. It was the same story with Gotham Knights where you increase the resolution and the fps barely changed.

My CPU is sitting on its ass while my GPU is at 80% usage.

Denton

It doesn't appear to be. It just seems to underutilize the CPU. It was the same story with Gotham Knights where you increase the resolution and the fps barely changed.
It is single or double thread limited. Maybe it is difficult to make the BVH or whatever scale up to more cores with this old version of the engine.

Gaiff

It is single or double thread limited. Maybe it is difficult to make the BVH or whatever scale up to more cores with this old version of the engine.
Looks like it but since RivaTuner isn't working, I can't verify individual thread usage yet. winjer winjer said that deleting the d3d11on12 dll fixes the issue and has no adverse effect so I'll try that later and give it a spin while looking at the thread usage.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Welp, my 3070 at 1440p is really not holding up with recent RTX releases.
Starting to notice that on my end too. Have a 3070Ti, Ryzen 7 3700x, and 32 gigs of ram.
Know my processor isn't top of the line anymore but just gonna ride out for as long as possible.

At least I have G-sync!

Top Bottom