• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub still has the best environments and vegetation in any racing game

So you have a 720p TV that has problems? I'd reccomend buying youself a new one for Christmas if you can. Treat youself.

No it's a Samsung 4K 55 inch.

Well how about some PNG, 1080p pics then. This is what it looks like when I play it:

driveclub_20170921215a7jmq.png

driveclub_20170923103nxjcf.png

driveclub_2017092310394kvg.png

driveclub_20170923103nqkan.png

I still find it miles beyond the photomode pics people try to believe is how the game looks like when playing. Sure those photomode pics are beautiful and are really well taken by the players uploading them, but that just isn't representative when you boot up the game and play imo.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Those are beautiful screens, but from what I played, nothing like how I remember it looking in gameplay, which seems closer to this:

dcbeta-8-1024x576.jpg

I always found it to look a bit drab and muddy, and the image quality was poor. A PC version or PS5 version could do a lot for it.
Agreed. I was super disappointed when I fired up The game after reading all the hype on GAF (lesson learnt) the game really shines in photo mode however which is where the majority of the amazing looking pics come from.

Melchiah

I still find it miles beyond the photomode pics people try to believe is how the game looks like when playing. Sure those photomode pics are beautiful and are really well taken by the players uploading them, but that just isn't representative when you boot up the game and play imo.

The environments and vegetation, that "look real and 3D when you get up close", the OP talks about are still there when you play the game.

EDIT: The photo mode was only way the OP could illustrate the environments, but it just made people cling onto how it improves the image quality, eventhough it doesn't magically make the trees and vegetation appear from nowhere.

c0de

Well how about some PNG, 1080p pics then. This is what it looks like when I play it:

So you have eyes that have problems? I'd recommend getting yourself glasses or a surgery for Christmas if you can. Treat youself.

The environments and vegetation, that "look real and 3D when you get up close", the OP talks about are still there when you play the game.
But what does that help when most of the time you're not seeing it? It doesn't represent the actual game. If they wanted to show that stuff up close they should have made off-road tracks or an open world.

mekes

First of all, seeing Driveclub mentioned on the first page makes me all kinds of sad. It’s absolutely one of my favourite games of this gen. I can’t really help but feel that Sony played a huge role in what happened with this game and that Evo got a very raw deal.

The environments are great, but those are photo mode and not what you see whilst playing the game. I wish they were what you saw when driving in the game, one day hopefully

I may be misremembering, but doesn't Driveclub employ some trick whereby a part of the presentation radically improves at close-range/ or follows the camera? I recall something like the vegetation meshes following the camera, so they would always look good, and then when you get close they pull in higher-resolution versions - so technically it isn't representative of the actual game at all.

Melchiah

But what does that help when most of the time you're not seeing it? It doesn't represent the actual game. If they wanted to show that stuff up close they should have made off-road tracks or an open world.

I was too slow to add to my post...

The photo mode was only way the OP could illustrate the environments, but it just made people cling onto how it improves the image quality, eventhough it doesn't magically make the trees and vegetation appear from nowhere.

Even if you can't pay attention to them that much while racing, it doesn't change the fact they're there.

Melchiah

I may be misremembering, but doesn't Driveclub employ some trick whereby a part of the presentation radically improves at close-range/ or follows the camera? I recall something like the vegetation meshes following the camera, so they would always look good.

It probably improves texturing and anisotropic filtering, but I don't think it adds more trees and vegetation, or makes them look more three dimensional.

daxy

I imagine if it would've been targeting 60 frames per second instead of half that, the game would've had to cut down on a lot of that eye candy. For a studio that so loudly proclaimed itself to be car lovers, they sure prioritized strangely.

leeh

Think I'm going to upset people here, but here goes..

For the first time I went to my mates this week and played Driveclub. I've been wanting to for a very long time after seeing all the glorious material on here about it.

Disappointed is an understatement. The IQ is poor, the AF especially; the environments look good but nothing spectacular and the weather is good, but not as earth shatteringly good as seen in GIF's here.

Then there's the handling model, it's horrible. There's a lack of feel from the controller to the car. It seems there's delay between the input and the cars reaction, and every fine correction or action on the controller is just exaggerated.

I was expecting a legendary corridor racer to meet PGR in-terms of quality and it came no where near close.

I get the sense that the people who rave about it haven't played alternative arcade racers this generation.

It's my most disappointing purchase of the last decade probably, hated the handling and I really love Motorstorm. But I also didn't find the eye candy, it can look borderline ugly sometimes but then again I couldn't be bothered to put a lot of time into it.
And yes, I bought it based on the screens in all these threads around here lol.

It probably improves texturing and anisotropic filtering, but I don't think it adds more trees and vegetation, or makes them look more three dimensional.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm pretty sure the foliage meshes or foliage textures literally follow the camera. You can pan left or right, tilt or yaw, and it's still the exact same 'poster' (for lack of a better term) of foliage. Viewing it from the side, or behind doesnt change things.

This looks like a PS3 game. Seriously. The textures... :/

PGR4 on the Xbox 360 looks MUCH BETTER and is 30fps too. And on 2005 Hardware..

TDonk

I have always been much more impressed with FH2 and FH3 visually and technically.

Never understood the love for DC visuals. In motion, they are really nothing special at all.

Every time I see screenshots like that I keep wondering if I played the same Driveclub as everyone else, because this
is what I remember spending hours looking at. I'll agree that the rough weather looked great, but that is when the controls turned the game into a chore to play and I just went back to PGR4.

Driveclub has some lovely environments. The problem with it for me is the murky mess just in front of the car. The periphery looks great, the road ahead is poor, and that's more important for actually playing the game.

One of the GOAT racers easily.

Don't think any of the the 3 racers come close to it. Willow Springs in GTSport is straight up photorealistic mind. But that is mostly the lighting rather than the environment.

Certainly. Driveclub is still comfortably one of the best looking games of the gen so far. The driving never fully clicked with me but I did get a good amount of hours out of it, the DLC and Bikes was also very good.

leeh

Certainly. Driveclub is still comfortably one of the best looking games of the gen so far*. The driving never fully clicked with me but I did get a good amount of hours out of it, the DLC and Bikes was also very good.
*When on photo mode and compressed down to a tiny resolution GIF.

Sorry, but after seeing it now, there's no chance that's true. FH3 looks better than it.

leeh

sure thing broski
I've put many hours into FH3 and pretty much every Forza. I've been wanting to play DC ever since launch and I did this week. I wasn't impressed one bit.

It certainly has a layer of vaseline over its image in-terms of IQ and everything seems of quite lower quality in gameplay to what people post.

I was very disappointed and that's excluding the handling dynamics.

That's just my honest opinion. I don't think it deserves the credit it gets on here.

Apart from the graphics, DC will always remain as a subpar game.

Lol, you've been hating on FH3 since the release.

i hated on the performance, which was completely justified until it was fixed recently. not on the visuals. i agree about DC being mediocre as a game, but this is a visuals thread

Wow it really looks bad in game compared to photomode, can you all stop using photomode pictures to prove your point about racing games now?!

Eh it was great for a year or two but the poor image quality due to bad AA and inconsistent track details don't really hold up that well these days.

YoshiMax

Every time I see Driveclub screenshots, I think I have to give the game another chance. Then I do and quickly lose interest. Something about it has never felt right to me, despite numerous attempts to make it click. But yeah, game looks amazing.

It's a shit tunnel racer and it gets far too much credit - everything was sacrificed for graphics. It never even lived up to its name.

Ogawa-san

It's amusing how most DC threads eventually devolve into these "but it's photo mode!" arguments, while the GTS beta thread was filled to the brim with replay mode pics and "tiny gifs" and no one cared.

jariw

I may be misremembering, but doesn't Driveclub employ some trick whereby a part of the presentation radically improves at close-range/ or follows the camera? I recall something like the vegetation meshes following the camera, so they would always look good, and then when you get close they pull in higher-resolution versions - so technically it isn't representative of the actual game at all.

Don't know if this is what you mean, but AFAIK all (or at least most) vegetation are 2D transparent bitmaps in Driveclub, so they look the same from any angle when the car drives by.

Played it for the first time this year. And I was really disappointed in the graphics department. Sure, those screenshots look nice, but most of the time the game is ugly. I guess the devs noticed it too, so they made it rain in most races.

https://youtu.be/16l7f6Nqzcc?t=12
The textures on those rocks look like something from PS3.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I just don't think it is the looker people make it to be.

The entire main campaign is devoid of rain effects (only some dlc events are ) , so your argument doesn't make sense to me.

Nyx

If the FH, FM, PC and Dirt series didn't exist, I would believe you.

The only reason why I said DC was subpar is because the game only has a few moments of awesomeness.

Driving super or hyper cars even now is still awesome.

Top Bottom