• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub still has the best environments and vegetation in any racing game

Sygma

i didn't say it is ugly. The point is people posting screens in photomode or where motion blur is hiding the environment and vegetations details.

i picked up on that :) also posted screens in movement and not in movement of "random" moments in game (both DC and FH 3) where it ll look like what you ll have on your screen most of the times Not the polished stuff to make an argument more compelling

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You also posted a 4K screenshot from an engine that has seen 3 entries in that franchise since XB One's launch. You also seemingly posted an image from a PC version (don't worry it seems like you are not the only one). On the xbox one you don't press the letter C to bring up Anna.

Here is digital foundry link to comparison and an example of a still image from the game

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-forza-horizon-3-face-off

This thread is fascinating to say the least.

Edit: looks like image is not working anymore, sorry to DF guys for directly linking to image if that is an issue. Please follow the link to see captures of One versus PC, to compare what gives and images people are posting in thrread.

What being the PC version have to do with the quality of the details that the game can show to us? DC on PS4 can't show the "same" IQ and sharpness? Blame $ony and AMD ;)

thelastword

Banned
You also posted a 4K screenshot from an engine that has seen 3 entries in that franchise since XB One's launch. You also seemingly posted an image from a PC version (don't worry it seems like you are not the only one). On the xbox one you don't press the letter C to bring up Anna.

Here is digital foundry link to comparison and an example of a still image from the game

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-forza-horizon-3-face-off

This thread is fascinating to say the least.

Edit: looks like image is not working anymore, sorry to DF guys for directly linking to fpsge if that is an issue. Please follow the link to see captures of One versus PC, to compare what gives and images people are posting in thrread.
I was going to respond to this earlier, but I was playing DC ;)....But it appears many are taking screens at 4k or even higher, supersampling them even, just to show how great FH's IQ is. The problem here is not FH's IQ, it' s on PC afterall, it's the quality of it's vegetation, the quality of it's cars, the quality of it's lighting, the quality and abundance of it's effects or lack thereof, the quality of it's tracks/routes, the quality of it's weather and it's cloud system..In all these areas and more DC wins. Now, if you want to jack everything at max settings and play at 4k 30fps on PC, that's fine, IQ and sharpness will be great, but the base game devved for the XB1 will still manifest. You will still see the plastic sheen on cars and foliage, the weak lighting etc...

At this point, I dont think Horizon is in DC's league...Perhaps if EVO did a motorstorm on PS4, it would be a more ideal comparison, but then again...I'm pretty sure a Motorstorm, especially if it was open world would not not be any different from the results we're seeing here. It would still be superior to FH in graphics because of the more powerful system and of course the developer (EVO).......

It's crazy that this Forza engine has been used so many times this gen and had time to mature, but there's not a great differentiation between the games in terms of lighting, textures, car models et al.....Even with one of the titles at 30fps, the exception being locales of course.

Hell, but here, all people are asking is for an IQ buff on DC, the area everybody wants to point at...A pro patch to heighten resolution, shoot up AF to 16, implement TAA or a better variation or better AA algo, 2160CB and perhaps we could talk lack of jaggies even against all these 4k PC shots with 16xAF in this thread. At this point, minus AA and AF DC wins Horizon hands down....And whereas AA and AF can be implemented later down the road for DC if a pro patch surfaces, FH will never have the quality of lighting, cars, track detail, vegetation and foliage detail, pom, cloud and weather simulation that DC has.

So of course, at this point, an evolved DC engine is not even necessary for some IQ upgrades, but yet, with all this evolved Forzatech T10 has been talking about across the XB1 Forza's....I'll say this, I'm not particular to openworld games, but I 'd love to see an openworld motorstorm on a DC 2.0 engine or a DC 2 at that, just to see how things evolve, but hey, looking at the circumstances with EVO that's not going to happen or even necessary, but a pro patch to heighten's DC's IQ to PC levels is indeed necessary to avoid persons from cherry picking screens at convenience or only making arguments based on AA and AF levels......Hey, conveniently; no one is talking pom, lighting, weather, cars, cloud simulation, vegetation and foliage et al....Let's cherry pic a crappy lambo JPG and discuss from there...this is a perfect representation of DC you hear...At least, I'd like to commend DC fans who have not posted crappy screens of Forza Horizon to make arguments. I guess that speaks for itself more than anything in this thread.....

EBreda

I feel OP's screenshots are not representative of what you actually get when playing it.

In my experience, game looks muddy, with artifacts and rough aliasing.

It looks best when it's raining for a reason, I guess, since everything gets blurred together.

Synth

Oh look at that.

thelastword returns to the thread, and of course ignores any previous responses to his BS, in order to just chat more BS.

How unpredicatable.

onQ123

The fact that this near three year old game is constantly brought up in visual debates really says a lot. It's not always consistently impressive, but its highest highs have still not been surpassed by any other racers, in my opinion. Not a single racer since has better lighting and weather, and most non-racing games still don't come close in those two categories.

Driveclub make it hard to be impressed by other racing games even Gran Turismo Sport

Melchiah

at the least your screens kinda show the inconsistencies in DC's lighting

the top one looks so flat (reminds me of TW3 foliage lighting), but the other two look much better

Like I said, I set races to start at 9:00am with 60x time lapse. The top one was taken first, and the sun started to go down during the later ones.

I feel OP's screenshots are not representative of what you actually get when playing it.

In my experience, game looks muddy, with artifacts and rough aliasing.

It looks best when it's raining for a reason, I guess, since everything gets blurred together.

I was so disappointed with driveclub when I played it for two reasons:

1. The physics/driving wasn't that great (this is very subjective).
2. The graphics looked nothing like the bullshots I saw on NeoGaf. Many image quality issues like you mentioned.

It's not that the game looks bad, just nothing like the bullshots being thrown around.

mrkgoo

Wow, is this what realistic driving games look like now? impressive. Last time I really played one was probably PS2 or PS3 era.

jaypah

Wow, is this what realistic driving games look like now? impressive. Last time I really played one was probably PS2 or PS3 era.

Under the right conditions (honestly, about 75 percent of the time) Driveclub would melt your face off. The remaining 25 percent would still knock your eyebrows off at the least. Is it the untouchable graphical showcase that somehow turns the tech in the PS4 into a magical box from the future? No. But what is there comes together better than most games, racing or otherwise. I personally think that Forza 7 competes with it at times (as does F Horizon on PC) but that doesn't take away from what DC does right.

c0de

I was going to respond to this earlier, but I was playing DC ;)....But it appears many are taking screens at 4k or even higher, supersampling them even, just to show how great FH's IQ is. The problem here is not FH's IQ, it' s on PC afterall, it's the quality of it's vegetation, the quality of it's cars, the quality of it's lighting, the quality and abundance of it's effects or lack thereof, the quality of it's tracks/routes, the quality of it's weather and it's cloud system..In all these areas and more DC wins. Now, if you want to jack everything at max settings and play at 4k 30fps on PC, that's fine, IQ and sharpness will be great, but the base game devved for the XB1 will still manifest. You will still see the plastic sheen on cars and foliage, the weak lighting etc...

At this point, I dont think Horizon is in DC's league...Perhaps if EVO did a motorstorm on PS4, it would be a more ideal comparison, but then again...I'm pretty sure a Motorstorm, especially if it was open world would not not be any different from the results we're seeing here. It would still be superior to FH in graphics because of the more powerful system and of course the developer (EVO).......

It's crazy that this Forza engine has been used so many times this gen and had time to mature, but there's not a great differentiation between the games in terms of lighting, textures, car models et al.....Even with one of the titles at 30fps, the exception being locales of course.

Hell, but here, all people are asking is for an IQ buff on DC, the area everybody wants to point at...A pro patch to heighten resolution, shoot up AF to 16, implement TAA or a better variation or better AA algo, 2160CB and perhaps we could talk lack of jaggies even against all these 4k PC shots with 16xAF in this thread. At this point, minus AA and AF DC wins Horizon hands down....And whereas AA and AF can be implemented later down the road for DC if a pro patch surfaces, FH will never have the quality of lighting, cars, track detail, vegetation and foliage detail, pom, cloud and weather simulation that DC has.

So of course, at this point, an evolved DC engine is not even necessary for some IQ upgrades, but yet, with all this evolved Forzatech T10 has been talking about across the XB1 Forza's....I'll say this, I'm not particular to openworld games, but I 'd love to see an openworld motorstorm on a DC 2.0 engine or a DC 2 at that, just to see how things evolve, but hey, looking at the circumstances with EVO that's not going to happen or even necessary, but a pro patch to heighten's DC's IQ to PC levels is indeed necessary to avoid persons from cherry picking screens at convenience or only making arguments based on AA and AF levels......Hey, conveniently; no one is talking pom, lighting, weather, cars, cloud simulation, vegetation and foliage et al....Let's cherry pic a crappy lambo JPG and discuss from there...this is a perfect representation of DC you hear...At least, I'd like to commend DC fans who have not posted crappy screens of Forza Horizon to make arguments. I guess that speaks for itself more than anything in this thread.....

I was going to respond to this earlier, but I was playing Sony exclusive ;)....But it appears many are taking screens at 4k or even higher, supersampling them even, just to show how great non-Sony exclusive's IQ is. The problem here is not non-Sony exclusive's IQ, it' s on PC afterall, it's the quality of it's vegetation, the quality of it's cars, the quality of it's lighting, the quality and abundance of it's effects or lack thereof, the quality of it's tracks/routes, the quality of it's weather and it's cloud system..In all these areas and more a Sony exclusive wins. Now, if you want to jack everything at max settings and play at 4k 30fps on PC, that's fine, IQ and sharpness will be great, but the base game devved for the non-Sony platform will still manifest. You will still see the plastic sheen on cars and foliage, the weak lighting etc...

At this point, I dont think a non-Sony exclusive is in Sony exclusive's league...Perhaps if a dev that made a Sony exclusive did a motorstorm on my favorite platform (a Sony one, of course), it would be a more ideal comparison, but then again...I'm pretty sure a Sony exclusive, especially if it was open world would not not be any different from the results we're seeing here. It would still be superior to a non-Sony exclusive in graphics because of the more powerful system and of course the developer (EVO).......

It's crazy that this non-Sony exclusive engine has been used so many times this gen and had time to mature, but there's not a great differentiation between the games in terms of lighting, textures, car models et al.....Even with one of the titles at 30fps, the exception being locales of course.

Hell, but here, all people are asking is for an IQ buff on a Sony exclusive, the area everybody wants to point at...A pro patch to heighten resolution, shoot up AF to 16, implement TAA or a better variation or better AA algo, 2160CB and perhaps we could talk lack of jaggies even against all these 4k PC shots with 16xAF in this thread. At this point, minus AA and AF Sony exclusive wins non-Sony exclusive hands down....And whereas AA and AF can be implemented later down the road for Sony exclusive if a pro patch surfaces, non-Sony exclusive will never have the quality of lighting, cars, track detail, vegetation and foliage detail, pom, cloud and weather simulation that Sony exclusive has.

So of course, at this point, an evolved Sony exclusive engine is of course not even necessary for some IQ upgrades, but yet, with all this evolved non-Sony exclusive engine from non-Sony exclusive developer has been talking about across the non-Sony platform non-Sony exclusive's game ....I'll say this, I'm not particular to openworld games like the non-Sony exclusive game, but I 'd love to see an openworld Sony exclusive on a Sony exclusive 2.0 engine or a Sony exclusive 2 at that, just to see how things evolve, but hey, looking at the circumstances with Sony exclusive developer that's not going to happen or even necessary because of the superiority of Sony exclusives, but a pro patch to heighten's Sony exclusive's IQ to PC levels is indeed necessary to avoid persons from cherry picking screens at convenience or only making arguments based on AA and AF levels......Hey, conveniently; no one is talking pom, lighting, weather, cars, cloud simulation, vegetation and foliage et al....Let's cherry pic a crappy lambo JPG and discuss from there...this is a perfect representation of Sony exclsuive you hear...At least, I'd like to commend Sony exclusive fans who have not posted crappy screens of non-Sony exclusive to make arguments. I guess that speaks for itself more than anything in this thread.....

I was going to respond to this earlier, but I was playing Sony exclusive ;)....But it appears many are taking screens at 4k or even higher, supersampling them even, just to show how great non-Sony exclusive's IQ is. The problem here is not non-Sony exclusive's IQ, it' s on PC afterall, it's the quality of it's vegetation, the quality of it's cars, the quality of it's lighting, the quality and abundance of it's effects or lack thereof, the quality of it's tracks/routes, the quality of it's weather and it's cloud system..In all these areas and more a Sony exclusive wins. Now, if you want to jack everything at max settings and play at 4k 30fps on PC, that's fine, IQ and sharpness will be great, but the base game devved for the non-Sony platform will still manifest. You will still see the plastic sheen on cars and foliage, the weak lighting etc...

At this point, I dont think a non-Sony exclusive is in Sony exclusive's league...Perhaps if a dev that made a Sony exclusive did a motorstorm on my favorite platform (a Sony one, of course), it would be a more ideal comparison, but then again...I'm pretty sure a Sony exclusive, especially if it was open world would not not be any different from the results we're seeing here. It would still be superior to a non-Sony exclusive in graphics because of the more powerful system and of course the developer (EVO).......

It's crazy that this non-Sony exclusive engine has been used so many times this gen and had time to mature, but there's not a great differentiation between the games in terms of lighting, textures, car models et al.....Even with one of the titles at 30fps, the exception being locales of course.

Hell, but here, all people are asking is for an IQ buff on a Sony exclusive, the area everybody wants to point at...A pro patch to heighten resolution, shoot up AF to 16, implement TAA or a better variation or better AA algo, 2160CB and perhaps we could talk lack of jaggies even against all these 4k PC shots with 16xAF in this thread. At this point, minus AA and AF Sony exclusive wins non-Sony exclusive hands down....And whereas AA and AF can be implemented later down the road for Sony exclusive if a pro patch surfaces, non-Sony exclusive will never have the quality of lighting, cars, track detail, vegetation and foliage detail, pom, cloud and weather simulation that Sony exclusive has.

So of course, at this point, an evolved Sony exclusive engine is of course not even necessary for some IQ upgrades, but yet, with all this evolved non-Sony exclusive engine from non-Sony exclusive developer has been talking about across the non-Sony platform non-Sony exclusive's game ....I'll say this, I'm not particular to openworld games like the non-Sony exclusive game, but I 'd love to see an openworld Sony exclusive on a Sony exclusive 2.0 engine or a Sony exclusive 2 at that, just to see how things evolve, but hey, looking at the circumstances with Sony exclusive developer that's not going to happen or even necessary because of the superiority of Sony exclusives, but a pro patch to heighten's Sony exclusive's IQ to PC levels is indeed necessary to avoid persons from cherry picking screens at convenience or only making arguments based on AA and AF levels......Hey, conveniently; no one is talking pom, lighting, weather, cars, cloud simulation, vegetation and foliage et al....Let's cherry pic a crappy lambo JPG and discuss from there...this is a perfect representation of Sony exclsuive you hear...At least, I'd like to commend Sony exclusive fans who have not posted crappy screens of non-Sony exclusive to make arguments. I guess that speaks for itself more than anything in this thread.....
giphy.gif

thelastword our Gaf forum curiosity. I sometimes picture him cosy under a blanket with Sony logos on, with his Sony surround, Sony TV, Sony PlayStation, Sony Vaio laptop, Sony tablet and Sony mobile phone typing away posts on Gaf while listening to Sony Music published tunes on his Sony Walkman. Must be a Sonyful little bubble to live in.

poodaddy

It's near impossible to argue with those photos. Fuck man, the game is just gorgeous. I didn't get into playing it much, as for some reason I just didn't really enjoy how the cars drove, but it's probably the prettiest racing game ever.

Sure, the IQ could use lots of improvements, but it's the most beautiful racing game I've played still when actually playing the game. The lighting and art style is gorgeous.

Melchiah

^here the car is also not moving and you can see the very good IQ and SHARP details, unlikely DC shots without motion blur ;)

What being the PC version have to do with the quality of the details that the game can show to us? DC on PS4 can't show the "same" IQ and sharpness? Blame $ony and AMD ;)

Regarding the bolded, it's self-evident that 4K screenshot from a PC version looks better and sharper. This thread goes from one extreme to another.

I decided to go find the source in that thread for you. here

It is from standard gameplay conditions, from one of the DLC tours.

I decided to take few screenshots of my own from the event where that infamous screenshot was taken from.

tuxfool

Banned
At least, I'd like to commend DC fans who have not posted crappy screens of Forza Horizon to make arguments. I guess that speaks for itself more than anything in this thread.....

The one that would do that here is *you*, but fortunately it seems you haven't played Horizon.

Melchiah

That looks pretty rough, to be honest!

The event certainly isn't the among the top lookers of the game, but it wasn't quite as bad as the old screenshots implied. You can get similarly bad results by picking the moments with drab lighting, and using angles which underline the visual defects and aliasing.

TBiddy

The event certainly isn't the among the top lookers of the game, but it wasn't quite as bad as the old screenshots implied. You can get similarly bad results by picking the moments with drab lighting, and using angles which underline the visual defects and aliasing.

True. "That" screenshot isn't indicative, but neither are photomode bullshots. Generally speaking, I've never truly understood the need to cherrypick images from the "competition" in order to portray them as ugly games. Driveclub looks great, especially when you consider when it was released. In my mind, FH3 beats it, but that game is also released more than two years later (afair).

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Regarding the bolded, it's self-evident that 4K screenshot from a PC version looks better and sharper. This thread goes from one extreme to another.

as real life has perfect AA and AF, FH3 environments and vegetations are more close to real, thus better :p

Melchiah

True. "That" screenshot isn't indicative, but neither are photomode bullshots. Generally speaking, I've never truly understood the need to cherrypick images from the "competition" in order to portray them as ugly games. Driveclub looks great, especially when you consider when it was released. In my mind, FH3 beats it, but that game is also released more than two years later (afair).

Photomode shots on one side, 4K PC screenshots on the other. I've never understood cherrypicking the worst either. What's the point, if both aren't represented at the same level?

Personally, I've left comparisons to Forza aside, since it would be pointless as I haven't played any of them. The Trackmania-like add-on(?) for FH3 looked great on the screenshot thread though.

TBiddy

Photomode shots on one side, 4K PC screenshots on the other. I've never understood cherrypicking the worst either. What's the point, if both aren't represented at the same level?

Personally, I've left comparisons to Forza aside, since it would be pointless as I haven't played any of them. The Trackmania-like add-on(?) for FH3 looked great on the screenshot thread though.

We agree, completely. Which feels nice.

You see OP, your post seems to be mostly about the fidelity of the assets in DC's environments. But the thing about DC is that the actual design of the stages is a huge part of how good the game looks. The game, at least to me, is still very visually appealing in VR and the fidelity goes to total shit there. Something about the placement of the objects, the vistas, the use of color... It's beautiful.

Interestingly, I think the game looks better in VR than it does outside of it. Despite the massive drop in fidelity, the increase in framerate and the feeling of presence also greatly increase the visual appeal of the environments in the game.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Why would we represent them at the same level if FH can be on higher level? Do you want parity? Do you want we to decrease the quality of FH3 to be fair to DC?

Eh, none of the things are true.

Tell me more...

Melchiah

Why would we represent them at the same level if FH can be on higher level? Do you want parity? Do you want we to decrease the quality of FH3 to be fair to DC?

Alternatively, since both games have photo modes, why not use them for comparison on both?

Journey

Banned

Tell me more...

He means under the same conditions ie. photo mode vs photo mode, rain vs rain, etc.

Because it's unrepresentative of actual gameplay. PC screenshots and captures are representative of actual gameplay.

Do you get the difference here?

PC is ALWAYS going to win though. There is no point in comparing if that's the case.

I think it's more fair to compare the Xbox and PS4 versions of the game. I believe FH3 still holds it's own there as well.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
PC is ALWAYS going to win though. There is no point in comparing if that's the case.

I think it's more fair to compare the Xbox and PS4 versions of the game. I believe FH3 still holds it's own there as well.

lol? OP said "in any racing game". We live in a world that there are racing games on PC too. Deal with it.

Synth

Alternatively, since both games have photo modes, why not use them for comparison on both?

Because that's actually rather silly. If a game has sacrificed image quality and/or framerate in order to pack its scene out with other elements, it may on balance have made itself the less attractive game, but by moving the battle to the photomode arena, you'd be eliminating this game's concessions, whilst the game that sacrificed in other areas in other to maintain a IQ and/or framerate won't benefit to the same degree, because you've just normalised their strongest aspects. That you'd be doing this to compare both games in a form that you can't actually play them makes this extra invalid. If photomode comparisons were actually a good way to compare how each game looks, then an XB1 game would be able to beat Driveclub easily by rendering at 480p15fps instead... because it'd still come out the other end as an impossible clean highly supersampled 1080p image once we applied photomode to it.

By this same note, it wouldn't make sense to compare XB1 and PS4 directly against each other either, because every XB1 game could have potentially looked better with the additional 40% of graphical resources the PS4 would have provided it with. Nobody cares though, because at the end of the day, the PS4 games have that luxury and the XB1 one games don't, and this inherent unfairness doesn't mean anything to a player when they're sat in front of the game playing it. If Forza Horizon 3 being on PC means that when I play it, it looks better than Driveclub, then Driveclub isn't the best looking game. Resolution isn't everything, and no amount of being on PC will cause Need for Speed Underground to look better than Driveclub... but when a game is already directly comparable, the increased fidelity of the PC version will typically put it over. That's not the game's or anyone else's problem. Driveclub could have had a PC port, but it doesn't, and that's the reality of the situation.

Journey

Banned
By this same note, it wouldn't make sense to compare XB1 and PS4 directly against each other either, because every XB1 game could have potentially looked better with the additional 40% of graphical resources the PS4 would have provided it with. Nobody cares though, because at the end of the day, the PS4 games have that luxury and the XB1 one games don't, and this inherent unfairness doesn't mean anything to a player when they're sat in front of the game playing it. If Forza Horizon 3 being on PC means that when I play it, it looks better than Driveclub, then Driveclub isn't the best looking game. Resolution isn't everything, and no amount of being on PC will cause Need for Speed Underground to look better than Driveclub... but when a game is already directly comparable, the increased fidelity of the PC version will typically put it over. That's not the game's or anyone else's problem. Driveclub could have had a PC port, but it doesn't, and that's the reality of the situation.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better.

Top Bottom