• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension multiplayer confirmed [Update: Gameplay Video]

AAK

Every workhour that is put into the MP is a workhour that the SP will be missing. Just look at ME3 and its pathetic N7 missions.

A lot of the logic so many of you people use is really flawed. You do realize that when an artist designs specific assets for SP it can be recycled for MP as well. The animation team that mo-caps moves can also be transferred. The post processing done for various effects such as fog, rain, among others can be used both ways as well.

They have a vision with the essence of this game and if any team is capable of making that vision come to life it's SSM.

Angry Fork

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that it'll be watered down or shorter in length and/or quality.

He can start crying fowl when that's the case. For all we know this could turn out to be an Uncharted 2 situation where the campaign is even bigger and better.

1. There's a high probability it'll be watered down based on every other singleplayer game this gen that has had tacked on MP that people play for 2 weeks and then it dies because nobody cares and the SP ends up suffering for it.

2. If the game comes out and sucks then it's too late to cry fowl. The whole point of crying fowl beforehand is to get the developers attention before they make decisions. (Not that I think complaining will do anything in this case, but just saying it doesn't make sense to not say anything when you're annoyed.)

People keep mentioning Uncharted 2, but what about UC3? There were features missing and consensus seems to suggest there was a lack of polish compared to UC2. If they didn't have to worry about focusing on multiplayer there's no doubt in my mind these problems wouldn't have been there.

1. There's a high probability it'll be watered down based on every other singleplayer game this gen that has had tacked on MP that people play for 2 weeks and then it dies because nobody cares and the SP ends up suffering for it.

2. If the game comes out and sucks then it's too late to cry fowl. The whole point of crying fowl beforehand is to get the developers attention before they make decisions. (Not that I think complaining will do anything in this case, but just saying it doesn't make sense to not say anything when you're annoyed.)

People keep mentioning Uncharted 2, but what about UC3? There were features missing and consensus seems to suggest there was a lack of polish compared to UC2. If they didn't have to worry about focusing on multiplayer there's no doubt in my mind these problems wouldn't have been there.

Just because a game with SP and MP ends up with a less then perfect SP it doesn't mean it had ANYTHING to do with the MP. SP can be bad just like any other facet of any given game.

Maybe uncharted 3 SP wasn't as good as uncharted 2 SP because it just simply wasn't as well made? They both had multiplayer.

Sophia

1. Which single player games are you refering to? There's a lot of low quality trash games in general.

2. If it's that bad, don't buy it?

And from what I played of Uncharted 3 it was still fantastic.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Uncharted 3 had its flaws, but I wouldn't really blame them on the inclusion of MP.

Sophia

Yeah I wouldn't blame Uncharted 3 on the multiplayer. Beside, it's flaws are minor in the grand scheme of things, and people still play the MP today so...

It's okay to be skeptical at the inclusion of multiplayer, but being outright stubborn over it doesn't help, and you could very well be proven wrong if Ascension has the best SP of any God of War game. That'd be pretty embarrassing.

Kinyou

A lot of the logic so many of you people use is really flawed. You do realize that when an artist designs specific assets for SP it can be recycled for MP as well. The animation team that mo-caps moves can also be transferred. The post processing done for various effects such as fog, rain, among others can be used both ways as well.

They have a vision with the essence of this game and if any team is capable of making that vision come to life it's SSM.
But in ME3 it seemed more like the assets from the MP were transfered into the SP and not the other way around.
Basically were all the old side missions replaced with some boring arena fights.

When you hire more people that are suppose to help make the MP there not going to put anything into SP anyway .
For example could you take the same money you use to hire these people, and use it for longer mo-cap sessions, better voice actors etc. etc.

Adding a MP is a 100% business decision. The sole reason it's there is because gamers who can only afford one game per month are more likely to buy the one with multiplayer than the one without. I don't see a reason why I should support this non artistic decision.

The fixed release date didn't help them.

I'd say U3s biggest issue was with the cast members scheduling conflicts.

Anyway, GoW A sounds both good and bad but at this point its all speculation. I could write this game off only for it to release and be amazing, so whats the point of getting all heated up. The graphics look phenomenal though.

Sophia

This post isn't much better.

Difference is, I'm actually contributing to this thread, where as you're just doing one line comments and stealth "Me too!" edits.

Instead of saying "This thread is embarrassing" and "This post isn't much better", why not explain why you think so? After all, it'd put you closer to talking about God of War. Plus, you don't really indicate who you're referring to. Is this thread embarrassing because of the people complaining over multiplayer? Or is it the people refuting them? Or is it something else?

oh god...devil may cry is next, isn't it

If we're talking DMC3/DMC4 mechanics and gameplay, I'm okay with this. Co-op and competitive multiplayer could work well. Imagine fighting Berial co-op?

Don

Based on what? Uncharted 2 didn't have these issues despite it being their first attempt at including a multiplayer mode in one of their games.

I still haven't seen any proof of a game being watered down because of a separate multiplayer mode. How do you know that all these games that supposedly suffered in the single player department due to the inclusion of multiplayer wouldn't have the exact same issues if multiplayer wasn't included?

Even looking at something like the Ratchet & Clank series. R&C3 has my favourite single player campaign in the series even though it was the first to include a multiplayer mode.

For example could you put the same money you use to hire these people, use for longer mo-cap sessions, better voice actors etc. etc.

Adding a MP is a 100% business decision. The sole reason it's there is because gamers who can only afford one game per month are more likely to buy the one with multiplayer than the one without. I don't see a reason why I should support this non artistic decision.

It does not work that way your not going to hire more people unless you can get a return on your investment .
GOW games budget are already high and they have best of everything they would be no need for new people if was not for MP in the first place.

Difference is, I'm actually contributing to this thread, where as you're just doing one line comments and stealth "Me too!" edits.

Instead of saying "This thread is embarrassing" and "This post isn't much better", why not explain why you think so? After all, it'd put you closer to talking about God of War. Plus, you don't really indicate who you're referring to. Is this thread embarrassing because of the people complaining over multiplayer? Or is it the people refuting them? Or is it something else?
I know you're contributing, not in that particular post though, and that wasn't a stealth edit.

Sophia

I know you're contributing, not in that particular post though, and that wasn't a stealth edit.

So... why not just post something constructive in the first place? I'm kinda curious as to why you think this thread is embarrassing. Given that it's certainly God of War-related.

I've already played it. The guy in the stream even said it's basically Domination. I did that in COD and other games.

MP is just killing other people with nothing else involved. That's boring to me and it's been done in a thousand games already.

Yo, I don't even....
Yo.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The little bit I was able to see makes me really interested! It looks like it could be a lot of fun!

I'm guessing we'll get some hands on impressions at E3?

AAK

But in ME3 it seemed more like the assets from the MP were transfered into the SP and not the other way around.
Basically were all the old side missions replaced with some boring arena fights.

What does that have to do with anything we were discussing? You said this:

Every workhour that is put into the MP is a workhour that the SP will be missing.

I basically just proved you wrong. Now if you want to dispute the "quality" of the end product, then you are comparing the competency of 2 different studios: SSM and Bioware.

Better game = more sales. It's pretty simple. So yeah, every decision made by every studio is a business decision.

So... why not just post something constructive in the first place? I'm kinda curious as to why you think this thread is embarrassing. Given that it's certainly God of War-related.
I think it's obvious why really, and that particular convo has been dropped since so there's no reason now. The suggestions are nice but, there is no need for posters who aren't moderaters to give advice for others on how they need to post.

Raist

Banned
Man, Sony needs to slow down with God of War. This is like the 8th God of War release since the series debuted in 2005. This might be cool (no idea either way) but I don't really want to dive into yet another God of War game with likely the same arsenal of moves (plus 1-2 new subweapons, of course). God of War's up there with AC and COD for franchises that are just getting slammed into the ground.

That'd be the 6th game and probably won't be released until next year, c'mon now.

yo can you guys imagine how fun it might be pulling a fucking giant cyclops back and forth between two bases smashing shit everywhere then protecting one of your teamates with the spear until you kill the cyclops?

squeeeee

He said Domination, not me. That's a specific mode in COD.
yes, todd said domination was the thing most comparable to the mode. but your not fighting for a flag your fighting over executing a giant fucking cyclops, that alone changes the gameplay dyanmics.

edit:also, it's god of war, a thriid person action game not cod, a first person shooter.

Sophia

I think it's obvious why really, and that particular convo has been dropped since so there's no reason now. The suggestions are nice but, there is no need for posters who aren't moderaters to give advice for others on how they need to post.

I'm not saying it in an attempt to backset mod, I'm genuinely curious because your original post didn't really say or imply anything. :\

I basically just proved you wrong. Now if you want to dispute the "quality" of the end product, then you are comparing the competency of 2 different studios: SSM and Bioware.

There's a pretty big quality difference between the two as well, even if we're just comparing internally developed SSM to Bioware.

He said Domination, not me. That's a specific mode in COD.

Domination has existed long before Call of Duty.... As far back as Unreal Tournament 99. Probably before that.

Irish

You guys didn't know that Ascension was already out? In fact, it came out 5 years ago and is called Call of Duty 4. We've all already played it. It's MP, been there, done that, right?

GAF becomes harder to read as the days pass by.

Sophia

My guess is that the multiplayer will be closer to MOBAs or Bloodline Champions than Call of Duty anyhow. It's certainly not going to be the exact same experience Derrick01 has played in other games. Simply by virtue of the fact that I can't think of another action adventure beat em up with a multiplayer mode and the scope of God of War.

Kinyou

But you were arguing that stuff from the SP can be used for the MP, and I gave you an example where it happened the exact opposite way, so how do you know that SSM wont do the same? You made it sound like you already know what assets are going to be used in the MP and SP; I don't see how that proved anything wrong. We don't know the competency of SSM regarding multiplayer components so who's to say that they wont do the exact same thing like Bioware?

Better game = more sales. It's pretty simple. So yeah, every decision made by every studio is a business decision.
No, because if that were true you'd put more money into cutscenes, setpieces etc.

Also like I said, some people will buy a game simply because there's multiplayer printed on the back of the cover, the quality of the MP doesn't even matter in that scenario.

Derrick01

Banned
Domination has existed long before Call of Duty.... As far back as Unreal Tournament 99. Probably before that.

Ok but that doesn't really change my point any, if anything it makes it stronger. But I used COD because it's one of the only games I'll bother playing MP in nowadays. That and battlefield, everything else is too samey and not worth the time.

matics said:
This, and also, how can you compare a first person shooter domination to a third person action game domination? GoW doesn't even have guns, dude.

So you kill them with swords or other melee weapons then. It's not a big deal.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Can't say I'm excited. Multiplayer is really the last thing I wanted a new GOW to focus on.

But I'll try to be optimistic and say let's wait and see.

Very disappointed about SP being shorter. I was looking forward to a bigger epic with perhaps more openness and some further developed RPG elements. :/

It's one of those games that make me feel like I'm not the target audience of this industry anymore.

Sophia

Ok but that doesn't really change my point any, if anything it makes it stronger. But I used COD because it's one of the only games I'll bother playing MP in nowadays. That and battlefield, everything else is too samey and not worth the time.

You take the two biggest examples of "samey" on the market and say everything else is samey?

... um, what? o_O;

Derrick01

Banned
You take the two biggest examples of "samey" on the market and say everything else is samey?

... um, what? o_O;

Yeah everyone tries to copy them so why would I bother playing the copycats? I was playing those two first so I stick with them. And it's not like I buy them every year, I still haven't even played BF3 at all due to being Origin exclusive.

Now that I think about it I don't think I've put any real time into a MP game since my last BC2 session which was in November I think (after my friends were disappointed with BF3).

So you kill them with swords or other melee weapons then. It's not a big deal.

yo can you guys imagine how fun it might be pulling a fucking giant cyclops back and forth between two bases smashing shit everywhere then protecting one of your teamates with the spear until you kill the cyclops?

squeeeee

yes, todd said domination was the thing most comparable to the mode. but your not fighting for a flag your fighting over executing a giant fucking cyclops, that alone changes the gameplay dyanmics.

edit:also, it's god of war, a thriid person action game not cod, a first person shooter.

the mere fact that everything about god of war's gameplay is different than cod's changes everything. you are being beyond ridiculous.

Sophia

Yeah everyone tries to copy them so why would I bother playing the copycats? I was playing those two first so I stick with them. And it's not like I buy them every year, I still haven't even played BF3 at all due to being Origin exclusive.

... yeah I'm really not following your logic now. How are you even making the jump from "Beat Em Up that looks vaugely MOBA inspired" to "Call of Duty copycat"?

I'm going to have to agree with mysticwhip. You are being beyond ridiculous.

Kinyou

My guess is that the multiplayer will be closer to MOBAs or Bloodline Champions than Call of Duty anyhow. It's certainly not going to be the exact same experience Derrick01 has played in other games. Simply by virtue of the fact that I can't think of another action adventure beat em up with a multiplayer mode and the scope of God of War.
I would bet you 10 bucks that at the end of every match you'll see an experience bar filling up that lets you unlock new weapons, gadgets. Just like in Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Dead Space, Ghost Recon, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Syndicate, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, Far Cry, Crysis, Killzone...

I'm not saying that a leveling/unlock system is generally bad, but it sure bores the crap outta me nowadays.

Sophia

I would bet you 10 bucks that at the end of every match you'll see an experience bar filling up that lets you unlock new weapons, gadgets. Just like in Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Dead Space, Ghost Recon, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Syndicate, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, Far Cry, Crysis...

I'm not saying that a leveling/unlock system is generally bad, but it sure bores the crap outta me nowadays.

I wouldn't bet against that even if I had ten bucks to spare. That's one aspect of multiplayer that can go die right off. =P

But it's not really related to Derrick01's claim that it'll be a Call of Duty clone. Or that he's played it (somehow...) which is what I was trying to infer.

Derrick01

Banned
the mere fact that everything about god of war's gameplay is different than cod's changes everything. you are being beyond ridiculous.

There's really not a big difference between fighting over flags and that cyclops. You don't think killing that thing over and over again will get old? It's probably quicker to just capture the flags. But whether the flag is 5 feet or 100 feet tall it really doesn't change much. You're still killing people to hold a point which has been done a million times.

Yjynx

I would bet you 10 bucks that at the end of every match you'll see an experience bar filling up that lets you unlock new weapons, gadgets. Just like in Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Dead Space, Ghost Recon, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Syndicate, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, Far Cry, Crysis, Killzone...

And like every other mp game in existence?

I'd rage quit if I got nothing out of my point. Your logic failed me...

Sophia

There's really not a big difference between fighting over flags and that cyclops. You don't think killing that thing over and over again will get old? It's probably quicker to just capture the flags. But whether the flag is 5 feet or 100 feet tall it really doesn't change much. You're still killing people to hold a point which has been done a million times.

You mean besides the fact that the Cyclops is the size of the screen and can potentially fight back? >_>;

And that's not even getting started into the fact that this isn't a a first or third person shooter and won't play even remotely like any of them in core mechanics.

So I have to watch that Cyclops get it's eye gouged out at the end of every fucking round?

The horror. Five seconds of my life taken up by a giant Cyclops getting killed!
You can probably skip it. :p

I don;t even know what to say anymore.

Top Bottom