• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension multiplayer confirmed [Update: Gameplay Video]

Kinyou

And like every other mp game in existence?

I'd rage quit if I got nothing out of my point. Your logic failed me...
There was a time where we played MP games out of fun, and not because we finally wanted to unlock the same high-level weapon with which some player constantly kills us.

Sophia

There was a time where we played MP games out of fun, and not because we finally wanted to unlock the same high-level weapon with which some player constantly kills us.

I'd argue that Call of Duty handles it a bit better than other games, given as the weapons are less "this one is overpowered and this one isn't" and more playstyle choices. It's still highly annoying when none of them fit you playstyle. It's even worse when a developer just tacks it on with no regards to balance.

Uncharted is a fantastic example of a game where I don't think the leveling and unlocks really helped it at all.

You won't win this one man.

Just give it up when it comes to Derrick.

Some of us are just crazy enough to keep trying, I guess. >.>;

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
A lot of the logic so many of you people use is really flawed. You do realize that when an artist designs specific assets for SP it can be recycled for MP as well. The animation team that mo-caps moves can also be transferred. The post processing done for various effects such as fog, rain, among others can be used both ways as well.

They have a vision with the essence of this game and if any team is capable of making that vision come to life it's SSM.

Ok, so discounting all the overlapping assets and effects, now count up the hours that have been spent making the content that is completely unique to the multiplayer. Each of those hours is still an hour that could have been spent on single player. Looks like the logic holds.

AAK

But you were arguing that stuff from the SP can be used for the MP, and I gave you an example where it happened the exact opposite way, so how do you know that SSM wont do the same? You made it sound like you already know what assets are going to be used in the MP and SP; I don't see how that proved anything wrong. We don't know the competency of SSM regarding multiplayer components so who's to say that they wont do the exact same thing like Bioware?
MP so SP, SP to MP... you were arguing about content. And I still stand by what I said, the hours spent making the content for SP or MP can be used in both modes. So the argument you were having about how MP won't contribute to SP was erroneous. And again about the competency of SSM, they helped make Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Starhawk, Journey, Calling All Cars, among others. If you want to argue that those people who did the multiplayer for those games aren't working in SSM anymore, then I can argue that they probably hired people with sound background in network gameplay. And how do I know that assets will be transferred between SP and MP? Just look at the screens already. The animations for pulling levers, running, jumping. If not GOW, then look at other games with MP like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank 3, or even Tekken's scenario campaign. The textures for the environment, the physics for the combat, the gun models, among so many other things transfer from MP to SP.

No, because if that were true you'd put more money into cutscenes, setpieces etc.

Also like I said, some people will buy a game simply because there's multiplayer printed on the back of the cover, the quality of the MP doesn't even matter in that scenario.

Get out of here with that stuff. God of War is first and foremost an adventure videogame. Good adventure videogames are composed of elements of great combat, great puzzles, properly designed platforming sequences, etc. all simply tied down together with a solid narrative. How do you know they're only designing GOW just to put the PSN logo on the cover? How do you know that they haven't made specific maps and puzzles with competitive gameplay in mind?

In the end you're basically saying GOW is now worse of a game now that there is MP included and that's such a premature and short-sighted way of looking at things.

Ok, so discounting all the overlapping assets and effects, now count up the hours that have been spent making the content that is completely unique to the multiplayer. Each of those hours is still an hour that could have been spent on single player. Looks like the logic holds.

He said:

Every workhour that is put into the MP is a workhour that the SP will be missing.

That's what I argued against.

Sophia

This is not quite how game development works. Nor is an indication of the final quality of the product.

Fixed1979

You do realize that including MP may not be actually taking away from the SP budget? They may have, oh I don't know, budgeted additional resources for the sole purpose of completing the MP? It's an old tired argument with flawed logic.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
After seeing the footage I think it could be kind of cool if the cyclops killing was a set objective for the map, not just a victory animation. If it's two teams of 4 competing to take out a major objective instead of just going for kills it might actually be a lot of fun.

yurinka

Looks great, the previous one was good.
Let's hope they reach 60fps (or at least fluid, stable 30fps) with this one.

After watching the video I'm totally cool with this, they're throwing lots of cool twists instead of just putting the players in the arena and spamming combos.

Looks great, the previous one was good.
Let's hope they reach 60fps (or at least fluid, stable 30fps) with this one.

GoW 3 was above 30 fps pretty much the entire game. It probably averaged 40-50 going to 60 in some parts.

Thoraxes

If it has an online pass i'll pass. I'll wait till it's $15 used probably. I only buy games with the online stuff if it's easily sellable right away so I can get my money back for something I won't use.

They just said in the stream that whoever does best in the game is the one that does the final kill, nice little touch.

Averaging around 40 to 50 for most of the game isn't exactly a "fluid, stable 30 FPS."

It's better? I'd take an unlock framerate that's above 30 then a locked 30 any day.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You do realize that including MP may not be actually taking away from the SP budget? They may have, oh I don't know, budgeted additional resources for the sole purpose of completing the MP? It's an old tired argument with flawed logic.

Funding and man hours are always finite. They still have to meet a ship date, giving them a finite amount of time to work on it. There's a sense in which any dollar or hour spent on MP could have been spent on SP. But I get it. Sometimes the additional budget is only approved to add MP because people believe, perhaps for good reason, that a dollar spent on MP is a better investment that a dollar spent on SP. I question this assumption for GOW, but it's also obvious that they felt it was finally time to add something big to the formula.

Sophia

Because of tearing? It's been a while but I don't think GoW3 had any, not that I recall anyway.

*shrugs*

Ask yurinka. It was their comment, after all. >.>;

Although, you're right, I don't recall GoW3 having any tearing either. But I haven't played it since it came out. I usually rent games like GoW. :S

strafer

KGEKW.jpg

EXGN

You're assuming everyone working on SSM has the same skills or something, when in reality they all have unique positions within the company. A network engineer is not going to be working on the single-player portion of the game. One hour spent by the network engineer on multiplayer isn't taking away any time from the single-player design.

Thoraxes

twas revealed around a week ago man.

Ooooo, OK. I had just passed on the news thread until an unveiling so it was new to me. Also I saw people throwing Sig's name around earlier today (like, "I wonder what Sig is gonna do for this game"), so was a little curious.

Kinyou

MP so SP, SP to MP... you were arguing about content. And I still stand by what I said, the hours spent making the content for SP or MP can be used in both modes. So the argument you were having about how MP won't contribute to SP was erroneous.
Ah ok, now I see what you mean, but that's a little hard to argue about because you can't really say if gun model X was now developed for the SP or the MP in mind, so I wouldn't classify it as "MP workhour." But ok, I see your point, every workhour was a little exaggerated.

And again about the competency of SSM, they helped make Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Starhawk, Journey, Calling All Cars, among others. If you want to argue that those people who did the multiplayer for those games aren't working in SSM anymore, then I can argue that they probably hired people with sound background in network gameplay.
They were just making the MP component of those games. I don't see how this shows us how they'll integrate an MP into their own game. We don't know if they might include MP maps into the singleplayer.

Get out of here with that stuff. God of War is first and foremost an adventure videogame. Good adventure videogames are composed of elements of great combat, great puzzles, properly designed platforming sequences, etc. all simply tied down together with a solid narrative. How do you know they're only designing GOW just to put the PSN logo on the cover? How do you know that they haven't made specific maps and puzzles with competitive gameplay in mind?

In the end you're basically saying GOW is now worse of a game now that there is MP included and that's such a premature and short-sighted way of looking at things.
I'm just basing this on my experience I had with other games that had a MP component tacked on. I can't say if it will be a worse game, but I'm certainly more worried now.

Sophia

Prequel (another)
Multiplayer (sure to have an online pass)
Shorter

As has been discussed several times in this thread (and multiple counter examples have been given), game development does not work in a line when you're working with a studio as big as theirs. =p

I find this absolutely repulsive. Brutality has its place, I'm usually fine with it in Tarantino's films or Suda 51's games, but here it just seems glorified.

May I suggest you read The Iliad or The Odyssey? Greek Mythology is full of brutal stuff. Stuff like this is actually in keeping with it.

AAK

They were just making the MP component of those games. I don't see how this shows us how they'll integrate an MP into their own game. We don't know if they might include MP maps into the singleplayer.

Usually if certain people within a studio have shipped a product with fully functional online multiplayer components it does show signs of that they have the ability to do it again. Even when you look at all job offers for a job to work at SCE they universally have a requirement of a certain number of years of experience in that field and many times, at least one shipped game that you were a part of.

As for including multiplayer maps in single player... that is usually how many maps of MP are made. For example Killzone 2 made maps based on many single player locations. Of coarse it doesn't mean GOW:A will have it, but from a development standpoint, it's the most logical means of including it.

I'm just basing this on my experience I had with other games that had a MP component tacked on. I can't say if it will be a worse game, but I'm certainly more worried now.

Again this is SSM working on this. They have more than enough prestige in all of their internally developed games to know they are up for the challenge.

prwxv3

And I starting to think that SM like to present their games badly at first then improve the game by leaps and bounds for the sight of crow eating.

indeed, Greek myths were always crazy violent.

Indeed. They are some of the only texts to actually make me grimace while reading them, usually it takes something visual to do it. The level of description is insane in the epic poems.

Turbid jets of blood shooting from peoples nose and throats.
Getting dragged by your hair through your son's pool of blood.
Arrows piercing through lovingly woven fabric and staining garments with blood.

Top stuff.

zlatko

Banned
That sounds hilarious and awesome, actually.

Of course it does, because I'm thinking of a fresh game type take based on established core game mechanics, where as developers are really trying to copy and paste with a different coat of paint.

The best MP experience this gen, and my life was Metal Gear Online. Why? It put in the basic game types people expect from a shooter MP experience, and then added 100% unique and fresh ones, and it turns out those ones were a fuck ton better and more popular than the standard TDM ones.

Team Sneak is brilliant and so is Sneak or w/e where one person played as Old Snake. Red Vs Blue, while Snake tries to sneak around and knock people out or hold them up and collect 3 dog tags before one of the two teams win. Plus, one person played as Otocan's little metal gear to help snake and zap them for him.

That's the approach this game needs to take. Established MP game types, but really wow people with new shit.

EekTheKat

Some single player games tend to overstay their welcome by inflating their single player play through time with collect-a-thons, mini-games, or other filler - often times killing the tempo/pacing of the playthrough.

A 6 hour game that's finely crafted and well paced with a multiplayer component is far more preferrable than a 12 hour single player game that's chalk full of filler with an uneven story that's poorly paced.

kuroshiki

*shrugs*

Ask yurinka. It was their comment, after all. >.>;

Although, you're right, I don't recall GoW3 having any tearing either. But I haven't played it since it came out. I usually rent games like GoW. :S

I can confirm GOW3 had virtually zero tearing. Whoever said otherwise either didn't play the game or troll.

Loudninja

Some more details:
Ascension is a prequel to the God of War trilogy, and it will focus on a single-player campaign, but Sony Santa Monica managed to steer clear of any details at the debut press event last week, instead focusing on the multiplayer side of the game. Well, after a bit of confusion, that is.
Pappy says that they're working to make the combat as brutal and flashy as you'd expect from a God of War title, but that they've had a tough time taking single-player fighting into multiplayer and keeping it balanced. They want to make sure that it still feels like a God of War game, complete with all the gore kills and cinematic takedowns that we all love, but they still have a bit of a ways to go before they get there.

Other details on multiplayer were hard to come by, as Pappy admits that they're still figuring it out. We know that they're looking at having five larger maps, and two supplementary smaller ones for multiplayer. We can expect the big, cinematic moments we've come to know from the team in multiplayer, but they won't necessarily figure into the overall story. They're still working on multiplayer game types, with Pappy saying that if they can infuse God of War into the standard types, they'll use them. For now, it sounds like death match, domination and some variant of CTF are planned, and they're working on training sessions to teach players the intricacies of battle for these modes. Finally, the team is set on online multiplayer, so those hoping for split-screen action are out of luck.
http://www.destructoid.com/our-first-look-at-god-of-war-ascension-s-multiplayer-226676.phtml

Honestly, considering how lacking the series has been in terms of replay value, this really isn't a bad thing, as long as the SP is the standard 8 hours.

Raw64life

Seems unnecessary but if it's fun I'll play it. More than likely I'll try it for 30 minutes and then never touch it again like I did with GTAIV, MGSIV, Assassin's Creed, etc. Hopefully it hasn't eaten into the development of the single player at all.

Top Bottom