• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension multiplayer confirmed [Update: Gameplay Video]

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Who knows, could be the next Uncharted 2 MP. :p

At first I was like "LOL", but after watching the video it looks pretty interesting. If it was just straight deathmatch I still think it would be a whatever mode but integrating the other puzzlish GoW mechanics in to objective based modes could be cool.

I still have a right to bitch about it though. Different demographics will be annoyed if you go separate routes which is obvious. I'm in the demographic that doesn't want resources wasted that could've been used to polish and add levels to singleplayer. I don't care about multiplayer in SP games and don't want it.
Thankfully they're paying no attention to this train of thought. Also how could you possibly know that resources are being wasted by adding multiplayer?

namDa65

A single player franchise that has MP shoehorned in after some games in a desperate attempt to sell a few million more units. I'm tired of it.

Bro, you are one close minded gamer. The multiplayer gameplay looks excellent. You should not judge until you actually play it.

Derrick01

Banned
Bro, you are one close minded gamer. The multiplayer gameplay looks excellent. You should not judge until you actually play it.

I've already played it. The guy in the stream even said it's basically Domination. I did that in COD and other games.

MP is just killing other people with nothing else involved. That's boring to me and it's been done in a thousand games already.

I've already played it. The guy in the stream even said it's basically Domination. I did that in COD and other games.

MP is just killing other people with nothing else involved. That's boring to me and it's been done in a thousand games already.

What about us that don't give a fuck about fps games .
You still going to get your SP so you don't have to worry .

Sophia

A single player franchise that has MP shoehorned in after some games in a desperate attempt to sell a few million more units. I'm tired of it.

I don't have to. It's MP, I've played it in other games already. There's really nothing drastically new or original to do, you kill other human players. *yawn*.

Let it be know. Derrick01 is either psychic or from the future, and has totally played a lot of action adventure beat em ups with the scale of God of War before. Because, I mean, that's totally a plentiful genre, well represented, and all!

*rollseyes*

Angry Fork

Just curious. Did both of you not buy Mass Effect 3 because it had multiplayer?

The argument is that resources spent on multiplayer could've been used on SP to make it better. It's not the fact that it has multiplayer. For example Bioshock 2 had multiplayer but it was done by a separate team with separate resources. I'm 100% okay with this. But when you have 1 developer with a fixed budget and fixed number of people I'm not okay with that being split for SP/MP just to try to sell more or prevent used sale bs.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I didn't buy ME3 because I don't give a shit about the ME games. I'm gonna buy GoW: Ascension for the SP, but I'll ignore the MP part just like I've done with all other games with MP parts I've bought this gen. I'm not so much pissed at them including MP, I'm pissed they spend the entire announcement talking about a feature I just don't give a flying shit about.

Rehynn

Hey, if anything, we have already been granted a fantastic banned gif from this game's existence lol.

untitled-60dbro.gif

I find this absolutely repulsive. Brutality has its place, I'm usually fine with it in Tarantino's films or Suda 51's games, but here it just seems glorified.

I didn't buy ME3 because I don't give a shit about the ME games. I'm gonna buy GoW: Ascension for the SP, but I'll ignore the MP part just like I've done with all other games with MP parts I've bought this gen.

If you have been doing it for games all gen why are you so upset now over it? Just don't play the MP, not that big a deal you still get your game.

Derrick01

Banned

I bought ME3 because I wanted to tie my saves together and there's no way to legally rent a game on PC. But ME3 was a rushed mess and I'm sure MP played some part of that as it's more work for the game's director to keep track of.

Anyway between this and the game being a prequel it's fallen to rental status now. They've done a fantastic job at killing the game before even showing any SP footage. It's impressive really.

The argument is that resources spent on multiplayer could've been used on SP to make it better. It's not the fact that it has multiplayer. For example Bioshock 2 had multiplayer but it was done by a separate team with separate resources. I'm 100% okay with this. But when you have 1 developer with a fixed budget and fixed number of people I'm not okay with that being split for SP/MP just to try to sell more or prevent used sale bs.

It's not a fix team just a while ago they were getting new guys for MP.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I'd love to see where you got the info about SSM being split up to work on multi/single player and having single player resources being spent on multi.

Please enlighten me. I'd love to know.

Todd mentioned that the internal team has grown and that they have dedicated designers for the multiplayer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBpejwtxwJk#t=4m25s

Oh hey, how about that Fork?

Sheesh, some people.

namDa65

And the singleplayer games have been the same since God of War 1. They are doing something new which is great.

SP is just killing people to reach the end?

Aside from dear esther, flower, and journey, no other singleplayer game this generation since HL2(last gen? 2004) really impressed me.

You are making a very very ignorant comment "I've already played it". rofl, comments like that make me angry.

Angry Fork

If you have been doing it for games all gen why are you so upset now over it? Just don't play the MP, not that big a deal you still get your game.

Because he likes GOW singleplayer and doesn't want it to be watered down or less in length/quality because of the inclusion of multiplayer?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I edited my post before you quoted it.

I'm not so much pissed at them including MP, I'm pissed they spend the entire announcement talking about a feature I just don't give a flying shit about.

Also, not every goddamn SP game needs an MP mode. Guess next gen we'll be seeing new Monkey Island DD games with deathmatch modes :(

Angry Fork

It's not a fix team just a while ago they were getting new guys for MP.

Those new guys could've been used for SP is my point. I don't like the idea of shoe-horning multiplayer in SP games to begin with, just based on principle. It rarely works and I just don't care. COD is the only series I can think of where it turned out well and the MP is more fun. (Although COD is proof of watering down SP as well)

Derrick01

Banned
Because he likes GOW singleplayer and doesn't want it to be watered down or less in length/quality because of the inclusion of multiplayer?

I'd rather have them innovate the single player as it is pretty stale but them doing this makes me doubt even more that they'll bother changing anything. This is their "hey look we did something new!" thing, even if it is just another MP game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Every workhour that is put into the MP is a workhour that the SP will be missing.

Those new guys could've been used for SP is my point. I don't like the idea of shoe-horning multiplayer in SP games to begin with, just based on principle. It rarely works and I just don't care. COD is the only series I can think of where it turned out well and the MP is more fun. (Although COD is proof of watering down SP as well)

Oh my god, some of you guys have zero idea of how game development works. Zero.

It's hilarious and frustrating at the same time. I'm out of this thread.

Sophia

There is no evidence to even remotely suggest that it'll be watered down or shorter in length and/or quality.

He can start crying fowl when that's the case. For all we know this could turn out to be an Uncharted 2 situation where the campaign is even bigger and better.

Kinyou

Exactly.

The MP is just there to ensure additional sales, there's no reason why the God of War franchise should suddenly step into the multiplayer territory.

Oh my god, some of you guys have zero idea of how game development works. Zero.

It's hilarious and frustrating at the same time. I'm out of this thread.

this is like the people who say "they could've been working on finding a cure for cancer instead!" in threads about minor scientific advancements.

anyway, i'm not too hopeful about this, but that's because it's god of war, not that they added multiplayer.

Man, Sony needs to slow down with God of War. This is like the 8th God of War release since the series debuted in 2005. This might be cool (no idea either way) but I don't really want to dive into yet another God of War game with likely the same arsenal of moves (plus 1-2 new subweapons, of course). God of War's up there with AC and COD for franchises that are just getting slammed into the ground.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So is this a new trend where hack and slash games will have MP?

Top Bottom