• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

Cess007

It didn't sell that bad.

Wow, you're right. Totally forgot that the WiiU outsold the Dreamcast last year (i think?).

Well that's that for Nintendo worst selling console.

Shouldn't that be the Virtual Boy? :/

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

Ehh.. mixed feelings. Enjoyed a couple of game, but Smash 4 for me was a huge disappointment, and tho i loved 3D World with friends; it was pretty boring when i played alone.

Still a good console, but not happy with how much i played for it :/

notaskwid

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

I bought one when Project Zero V came out in the west, played it, played Bayonetta 2 and Splatoon and was satisfied. I sold it after that.

oiv2xdy.gif

Last game I bought on the thing was Fast Racing and since then there's been nothing worthwhile on the horizon (Zelda shall be NX).

Star Fox Zero will be my last game probably.
3DS I guess Yokai Watch 3 unless it gets an NX port.

Shouldn't that be the Virtual Boy? :/
It would be if Nintendo didn't classify the VB as a portable (LOL)

I don't believe it will. That's just my guess though. Production is ended. There aren't that many WiiUs out there, and if they want to make a new Zelda game to make a splash, I'm not sure why they would hold it back with hardware that is a little better than systems that came out 10 years ago.

If I was Nintendo, I would have already moved over every major project outside of remakes etc to development for their new system. The WiiU has been a lost cause.
They have been actively advertising it as a Wii U title, even recently. There is no way they will cancel it now. It's not a Last Guardian situation where Sony barely acknowledged it for years, Nintendo frequently bring up Zelda as a 2016 Wii U title, including in official marketing material.

It MIGHT be cross gen but it absolutely will come out on the Wii U.

TreIII

I got Bayonetta 1+2. I got Wonderful 101. Certainly enjoyed the likes of Zelda Musou/Hyrule Warriors, as well.

That, along with the various first party offerings, means I got money's worth.

Pjsprojects

Sort of liked the WiiU dual screen idea but I get the nasty gut feeling the NX will be a flop.

Looks like we find out this Christmas.

Neoxon

• NX Console: Holiday 2016
  • NX Handheld: Spring 2017
Wii U production ending after this year & the leaked 3DS price drop seem to indicate this. And I do think we'll get the devices revealed before E3 so Nintendo won't have to compete with VR/PS4.5/XB1+/whatever.

Scum

Rösti;198910106 said:
Very intriguing news, though I wasn't expecting something like this before March 31. Maybe we can expect further comment from Nintendo soon?

I expect this news to change stock a bit.
NX Direct after Fiscal year meeting innit.

JABEE

I think you are forgetting what happened to Zelda: TP. It doesn't hurt Nintendo to put the new Zelda on BOTH Wii U and NX.

Zelda Twilight Princess looked the same on both platforms and were basically the same game.

My hunch is that Nintendo would want to move on from their failed platform and dedicate retail space and resources to the new box they want to sell this Fall.

If Zelda is your big launch title, and you want your console to appear more advanced, you would release a Zelda experience that is different than what can be done on WiiU.

Yukinari

Get ready for the price increase on games that havent already got a reprint as well as any accessories.

Pokken Controller and Xenoblade X specifically.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Had a lot of fun times with the console but it's time.

It also has the secret most enjoyable game of the generation: Lego City Undercover.

Perfectly satisfied. I own about as many games and have played about as much as I did the Wii.

The Wii U is a nice complimentary system to own with a PC. There's barely any overlap at all.

udivision

More like remasters out the ass.
Considering the Wii U has 2(?) GCN remasters I don't think pumping those out are as easy as Nintendo thought. It'd be a way to avoid droughts, but they really don't have the manpower. Even when outsourcing...

thefro

I was happy with my Wii U purchase but I got a $200 refurb from Nintendo (that works great). Probably would be a bit upset if I bought a launch console at full price.

Looking forward to seeing what Nintendo's doing with the NX. If that's set up how we hope (shared OS between console/handheld), it should have a long lifespan.

daripad

Sure lol

If you bought a Wii U, you'll likely buy anything Nintendo releases.

...which is why I'll likely pick up an NX at launch! Nintendo fans take a lot of abuse.

No, this is the first time i've been so dissapointed with a console, I'm not doing it again.

Last year's lineup was already the nail in the coffin for me

It's the direct descendant of the second most successful console ever. A royal baby is high-profile at birth, even if they don't go on to become a great leader.
I mean yeah this is true, I honestly just think it's based on perspective. In theory Wii U is this generations PS3, but the PS3 managed to at least sort itself out. Wii U, well it never did. Especially if you're not the hugest fan of Nintendo games.

Neoxon

I doubt it, considering the complexity and cost of the Wii U were huge parts of it's downfall. I expect a few ports, like Zelda, splatoon, maybe smash. Hoping it just goes x86.
Considering the handheld & Iwata's "like brothers" comment, ARM seems more likely.

As for Splatoon, I honestly don't see the point of a port since they can easily get a sequel done by next year. We'll definitely get a Zelda U port & maybe a Smash 4 port.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

I'm no longer a heavy gamer, but I enjoyed the Wii U way more than the Wii. Got a library of a dozen unique and super polished games that is worth keeping around and that will stand the test of time. Pretty satisfied.

Welfare

To the surprise of no one.

Wii U was a dead console and not helping Nintendo at all. Better to kill it as soon as possible and start anew with NX.

georly

Zelda Twilight Princess looked the same on both platforms and were basically the same game.

My hunch is that Nintendo would want to move on from their failed platform and dedicate retail space and resources to the new box they want to sell this Fall.

If Zelda is your big launch title, and you want your console to appear more advanced, you would release a Zelda experience that is different than what can be done on WiiU.

That's why you make 3! One for each triforce! Wii U version, NX version, 3DS (or NX portable) version!

Sad to hear. My favorite system since the super nes

Same, man :/

I'm confused why this is surprising with the NX looming

I guess it's surprising because the console only lasted 4 years, and Nintendo usually does longer console cycles. But if you take into account the fact that the console underachieved, which is the reason the NX is looming, it's not at all that surprising.

No, this is the first time i've been so dissapointed with a console, I'm not doing it again.

Last year's lineup was already the nail in the coffin for me

I'm incredibly disappointed in the Wii U as well. It's by far the worst console I've ever purchased.

That doesn't mean I'm skipping the NX if it has games I'm interested in. That would be silly.

Top Bottom