• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

It's time
3EFRl5l.jpg
This works on multiple levels

Bought my wii u day one, no regrets. Just wish that I wasn't such a scrub and had such a big backlog with it... Need to fix that this summer in hopes of being all caught up before NX. I hate carrying backlog over generations but PS3 still has me beat down

Can't tell if you're trolling or are seriously questioning whether a big 3 console, and one from the oldest company of the 3, is high profile...
A bit of both since the last game I bought for my Wii U was Smash 4, which I didn't really enjoy too much. Last one I liked was Bayonetta 2. Though at some point I need to get Twilight Princess HD.

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

Honestly? Not really. As in what the console brought, not that it's being cut short. If anything, I'm glad for that.

I feel like Nintendo's own line-up just didn't wow me, a lot of games felt too similar to their Wii and 3DS predecessors. Hardly any felt like a true next-gen evolution, aside from maybe Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8, if even them.

Also it took until now for a Wii U retail Pokemon game to finally come out and that was just a fighting game and not an RPG/battle game like the Stadium and Orre games before it. :(

Back to the previous point, Nintendo made zero 3D platformers outside of 3D World and that game felt extremely underwhelming if I'm honest (not awful by any means, just... meh).

Kirby's only game was just an honestly misplaced Canvas Curse sequel, and honestly the clay look felt also misplaced, like if you're going to do Canvas Curse 2, retain the art-style of the original and use the clay look for something never done before you know?

I dunno, the only games honestly that were just amazing that weren't on Wii IMO? Bayonetta 1 & 2 and Lego City Undercover. Even Smash 4 was inferior to Brawl to me (the single-player content is VERY light, the board game mode... *sigh*, I had no idea what I was even doing when playing it). I also did love Nintendoland and still think Donkey Kong's Crash Course is masterful as I made a thread about way back.

Am I nit-picky? Maybe, but I loved what Nintendo brought in all their systems prior. Note I haven't bought Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Xenoblade Chronicles X yet. :p

It was a good system all-in-all I guess, but I'm extremely eager for the NX. :)

Neoxon

Zelda Twilight Princess looked the same on both platforms and were basically the same game.

My hunch is that Nintendo would want to move on from their failed platform and dedicate retail space and resources to the new box they want to sell this Fall.

If Zelda is your big launch title, and you want your console to appear more advanced, you would release a Zelda experience that is different than what can be done on WiiU.
But again, they literally said that the game will be Wii U-bound last November. Not to mention that Trev's source confirmed that the next Zelda is a Wii U/NX title. It's coming to the Wii U, plain & simple.

pestul

I've had plenty of fun with the Wii U.. totally okay with moving on now.

I just hope the NX competes favorably with the Xbox One 2 / PS4.5. I wonder how nervous Nintendo is about that development.

A bit of both since the last game I bought for my Wii U was Smash 4, which I didn't really enjoy too much. Last one I liked was Bayonetta 2. Though at some point I need to get Twilight Princess HD.

You not liking a console doesn't make it not high profile. It was the successor to the Wii which was the market leader last generation.

AdanVC

This cease of production was expected. Every month since E3 last year, Wii U was just doing worse and worse on the NPD charts. Last month Nintendo didn't even mentioned Wii U on their PR statement of february's NPD. Meaning they will probably sold like 50 units literally. So awful when not even the company itself acknowledges it's own console.

Bring. ON. NX

daripad

I'm incredibly disappointed in the Wii U as well. It's by far the worst console I've ever purchased.

That doesn't mean I'm skipping the NX if it has games I'm interested in. That would be silly.

Yeah, but not me, specially when the games I'm interested in are in their handhelds too

samn

My only problem with my Wii U is that I only get to see my friends all together a few times a year :( we have a lot of fun though.

georly

I don't think personal opinions determine if a console is high profile. If that's the case, Xbox one is on the same level as an ouya to me. Is xbox one high profile? Of course it is, even if I don't care about any of its games.

Bought my wii u day one, no regrets. Just wish that I wasn't such a scrub and had such a big backlog with it... Need to fix that this summer in hopes of being all caught up before NX. I hate carrying backlog over generations but PS3 still has me beat down

Same here. My PS3 backlog is the biggest backlog I've ever had.

I'm incredibly disappointed in the Wii U as well. It's by far the worst console I've ever purchased.

That doesn't mean I'm skipping the NX if it has games I'm interested in. That would be silly.
How could you even say that if you're a Nintendo fan? The Wii U has some of the best Nintendo games EVER made. If you expect it to be a third party box, yeah, it's shit, and NX probably will be too. But the Wii U as a Nintendo box is unreal.

texore

I don't believe it will. That's just my guess though. Production is ended. There aren't that many WiiUs out there, and if they want to make a new Zelda game to make a splash, I'm not sure why they would hold it back with hardware that is a little better than systems that came out 10 years ago.

If I was Nintendo, I would have already moved over every major project outside of remakes etc to development for their new system. The WiiU has been a lost cause.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it coming out for both Wii U and the "NX." Nintendo did it before last generation and even though there aren't many Wii Us out there, Nintendo games still sell extremely well on the system.

DandySpike

Neo Member
Let us all hope that when the NX is revealed, that it will at least have a good name, and thankfully the Wii brand can now retire.

Kurt

What if they still support software for the wii u from downgraded nx software? Nintendo told us that they would keep supporting the wii u (recently). So this could only make sense this way. Otherwise there is no logic reason to keep the wii u good supported...

MK_768

I've never understood this idea of the next handheld coming in the first half of next year. Maybe that's me. I mean I wouldn't want Nintendo to have to reveal 2 new systems this year.

Nor do I think they will. I think they are going to want to focus on 1 thing at a time to make sure they get the correct message out as perfectly as possible. I think Kimishima has shown that by waiting so long to even talk about NX.

I don't know. I dont work at Nintendo but I just can't get behind the thinking of a new handheld coming so soon after the console. Even with the comments on compatibility and shared library of games.

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

Love it. Four years is really just a year shorter than the average console lifespan, really (last gen was an anomaly). Nearly my entire Nintendo library in one place thanks to VC and some vWii softmod tomfoolery to play my GameCube games. And the Wii U's library on its own has more than a few great games, especially if your two favorite devs are Nintendo and Platinum.

Plus, I mean, it's not like I'M throwing the thing out when they stop production.

GeeTeeCee

My Wii U essentially acts as my tertiary console (behind the PS4 and PS3), and I bought it on sale long after release. It's okay, and I don't own many games for it.

Had it been my main console I would have been annoyed at how readily Nintendo abandoned it when things weren't going how they hoped (imagine the PS3 never getting The Last of Us because Sony decided to bail out early).

The short, sparsely populated life of the Wii U honestly makes me a little wary to support the NX, and Nintendo, in future.

I purchased more games for my Wii U than I did for my Xbox or PS4. PC is the only place I probably picked up more. Perhaps at some point in the future that will change (I doubt it will for my Xbox), but I'd say that makes it worthwhile. I can confidently say, of the three consoles this gen, it's where I've had the most fun so far (Though Bloodborne puts the PS4 at a close second).

I'm tentatively looking forward to seeing what Nintendo does next. I don't feel burned by the Wii U, but I likewise can't claim it's been a stellar console; excellent games, but the hardware just isn't there. It's been the perfect console #2. (Or #1, if you're PC first like me.)

Ponn

Banned
If NX plays Wii U games, I'm okay with this

This is the info i'm waiting for. I held out for so long and being so close to NX release this may just be the best route. My only real problem is i'm one of those few that actually do like the concept of the Wii U pad and if NX doesn't have something similar thats going to be rough for me.

Instro

They have been manufacturing these all the time. In Japan, they are having stock problems due to production not meeting demand (both quite small though).

Wasn't the initial production run on the WiiU like 10 million+. I thought I read stories on that a while back. I would think they had another chunk manufactured a while ago, rather than continuing production at a super low rate.

Top Bottom