• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

HardRojo

So is Mewtwo expected to be released tomorrow?

The press release from Niantic just says "In the coming weeks...."

Don't think so. The birds will probably run out first, so I wouldn't expect Mewtwo to be available until next month, plus, whatever the conditions are to fight Mewtwo are so vague are random as fuck that I believe Niantic will have to change them in order to make it viable. It's hard enough rounding up 16+ people for a Lugia raid sometimes, I don't even want to think how insane it'll be to find random people who got invites to the same gym as you and set up times and shit for one single raid. It's really stupid, they didn't think this through at all.

Magik

So is Mewtwo expected to be released tomorrow?

The press release from Niantic just says "In the coming weeks...."

If they do then they are a bunch of idiots.

Dr. Malik said:
all these birds have divided our discord group cannot even get a solid team to show up to any

No kidding. I was hoping to try to get a few more Zapdos today but of course, majority of the raids were for Articuno. And from looking at some discord chats gathering groups was a lot more difficult cause everyone wanted something different.

Was it really needed to dump all the birds at once instead of letting Zapdos run its course for the remainder of the day like the other two birds and than have the birds be available all at once tomorrow?

This company is so frustrating at times.

border

Lugia and Articuno were released a day after GoFest. It would be kinda weird for them to unveil Mewtwo in Yokohama and then not release it for weeks. I don't know if it's going to happen tomorrow, but I would think sooner rather than later.

Sioul

I think I have done raids in most of the gyms in my city. I was hoping that the gym badges were able to tell you the amount of raids completed there to track my participation for the upcoming exclusive raids :/

My results so far:
Lugia 3/7
Articuno 3/8
Moltres 4/7
Zapdos 7/10

Man, I totally forgot all of the hat Pikachu were a thing in Sun & Moon (since they still haven't released outside of Japan - fuck all those damn Japan-only events btw). How much you want to bet Ash's 5 other hats will make up future PoGo events? :p

Lugia and Articuno were released a day after GoFest. It would be kinda weird for them to unveil Mewtwo in Yokohama and then not release it for weeks. I don't know if it's going to happen tomorrow, but I would think sooner rather than later.

I think they'll give people more time to farm the birds, and by extension help people increase the number of potential invites.

Due to discord, I have an excellent group that meets every day at 5:30.

Currently I am:

Lugia 0-7
Articuno 3-5
Moltres 3-6
Zapdos 3-6

The Lugia thing is beginning to really tick me off.

Chuckie

Lugia 1-2
Articuno 1-2
Zapdos 3-3
Moltres 1-3

Just really happy I caught Moltres yesterday. Was really afraid that the birds would be retired or not available for another year or something like that.

Awayze

Neo Member
I don't think the invite for Mewtwo will be as bad people think, it's probably to filter out the spoofers who "travel" to different countries for their 30 birds within a week.

However, unless there's a built in messaging system for the invitees, I'm not sure how you'll be able to arrange a time with some randomers you may have raided with.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
most likely last crack at articuno and broke after every first roll feels bad man but caught another moltres after
just going to trade my friend for an articuno when ever/ if ever trading go live

0/3 articuno
2/2 lugia
2/4 zapdos
4/5 moltres

zulux21

I don't think the invite for Mewtwo will be as bad people think, it's probably to filter out the spoofers who "travel" to different countries for their 30 birds within a week.

However, unless there's a built in messaging system for the invitees, I'm not sure how you'll be able to arrange a time with some randomers you may have raided with.

I only manage to get outside of my little town once a month at most for raids.

I will likely only have like 6 gyms that mewtwo might be able to spawn at that I will be eligible for.

likely won't end well for me.

Toki767

It feels like such a half-baked idea though.

I'm in the camp of "who cares about spoofers" especially for raids since extra help is always welcome.

HardRojo

I read somewhere that you need to have finished a raid at least 5 times in a gym for it to give you an invitation to the Mewtwo raid, after that, you can choose your 19 partners or something to that effect. Can anyone confirm? It was from a screenshot someone sent.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I read somewhere that you need to have finished a raid at least 5 times in a gym for it to give you an invitation to the Mewtwo raid, after that, you can choose your 19 partners or something to that effect. Can anyone confirm? It was from a screenshot someone sent.

whaaat

That would be a terrible fucking idea, and would kill the game.

I hope that's not the plan, because that sounds ripe for clique abuse and leaving tons of people in the dust.

Also, just went into a super small town and helped a group of kids take down their first Zapdos. Mostly under 12, some with their parents. Seeing those kids smile when we finished it made sacrificing my few potions worth it.

Growlie19

Finally added the frozen poultry, Articuno, to my dex, bringing me halfway there in capturing the legendary birds. Just have Moltres and Lugia left, along with Mewtwo when that goes live. Speaking of which, I've begun powering up my dark and bug-types in anticipation of Mewtwo's release. My Mewtwo line-up is looking like two Tyranitar, Pinsir, Scizor, Houndoom, and Dragonite.

robochimp

Finally added the frozen poultry, Articuno, to my dex, bringing me halfway there in capturing the legendary birds. Just have Moltres and Lugia left, along with Mewtwo when that goes live. Speaking of which, I've begun powering up my dark and bug-types in anticipation of Mewtwo's release. My Mewtwo line-up is looking like two Tyranitar, Pinsir, Scizor, Houndoom, and Dragonite.

I'm working on getting a Scizor up to 30 right now, I'm just 20k stardust away. The rest of my lineup so far 3 Tyranitar, 1 Drangonite, and 1 Houndoom. I'll work on a Pinsir if Mewtwo takes a while to show up.

Magik

That sounds ridiculous dumb on so many levels. How on Earth would anyone even choose 19 other players in game?

Best to wait for official word from Niantic themselves. They still have A LOT of explaining to do regarding Mewtwo.

If Niantic were smart they will release MewTwo after the birds are officially gone.

This is not true.

What has been said is exactly what's already been posted here. You'll receive invites to Mewtwo raids that pop-up at gyms you've raided at within the past "few weeks". Nothing else, and there's no reason to believe it will be any more restrictive than that.

Shiny Pikachu and Pichu are live worldwide!

Niantic has revealed that they would like to extend the daily duration of raid times (among other things). They also stated that midnight is "too late", so perhaps expect something like 10:30 or so.

GulAtiCa

Hahaha. Man, the BS that gets spread around. Lol. Yeah, that's all not true.

HardRojo

This is not true.

What has been said is exactly what's already been posted here. You'll receive invites to Mewtwo raids that pop-up at gyms you've raided at within the past "few weeks". Nothing else, and there's no reason to believe it will be any more restrictive than that.

Which is why I was looking for confirmation here, but it's nice (more like a relief) to know there's no new info yet. There's also this line from the official press release:

"Mewtwo is the first Pokémon that Trainers will be able to face in Exclusive Raid Battles, but other powerful Pokémon may also start to hatch from the Raid Eggs found at Exclusive Raid Battles over the next several weeks. Make sure you’re prepared to battle Mewtwo by powering up your Pokémon and battling in raids at Gyms near you!"

What other Pokémon can we expect from these Exclusive Raids? Mew and Celebi? Because I was thinking they'd handle Ho-oh and the 3 hounds the same way Lugia and the 3 birds have been handled.

I guess they'd want to expand raid times so that people can do some after getting off work.

zulux21

Which is why I was looking for confirmation here, but it's nice (more like a relief) to know there's no new info yet. There's also this line from the official press release:

What other Pokémon can we expect from these Exclusive Raids? Mew and Celebi? Because I was thinking they'd handle Ho-oh and the 3 hounds the same way Lugia and the 3 birds have been handled.

I guess they'd want to expand raid times so that people can do some after getting off work.
yeah the current raid times suck especially since the raids end at around 7:30 here as the last ones spawn at 5:30 or so.

means I can't raid at all after work, and only leaves one spawn raid for my wife which is when most of the people in the area are available as they work 9-5 in the major nerd place in the town.

Chuckie

yeah the current raid times suck especially since the raids end at around 7:30 here as the last ones spawn at 5:30 or so.

means I can't raid at all after work, and only leaves one spawn raid for my wife which is when most of the people in the area are available as they work 9-5 in the major nerd place in the town.

Those are pretty shit times :/

Here in the Netherlands the last ones spawn around 21:00

This is going to be another "Niantic will explain nothing until this whole thing actually starts and people figure it out" thing right?
I hope Niantic will not fuck over people who don't buy premium raid passes and let's all players be able to do Mewtwo raids.

This is going to be another "Niantic will explain nothing until this whole thing actually starts and people figure it out" thing right?
I hope Niantic will not fuck over people who don't buy premium raid passes and let's all players be able to do Mewtwo raids.
It HAS been explained though. Sometime before a Mewtwo raid goes live at a gym, players who have raided there within the previous few weeks will receive an invitation to the raid. All that hasn't been explained is exactly how long the period between the invitation for the raid and the time the raid starts, and just how long "weeks" is.

zulux21

It HAS been explained though. Sometime before a Mewtwo raid goes live at a gym, players who have raided there within the previous few weeks will receive an invitation to the raid. All that hasn't been explained is exactly how long the period between the invitation for the raid and the time the raid starts, and just how long "weeks" is.

do we know for a fact when the "did a raid in this gym" period started?

as I have done a raid at most of the gyms in my area in the last month, but only one place this week so far as it's the only place that is spawning anything of interest.

Teppic

Raids are killing the game for me. Missing out because I live in a small town. I can only do raids if I travel to the city, but it's not that often I'm there. I have done one Lugia raid which I didn't manage catch. Actually, I don't think any of us 16 participating were managed to catch it. With some birds gone now I'm not really feeling like catching more new Pokemon when you might never be able to catch the legendarys again.

Besides raids there's nothing to really do in the game. I can walk a few more Pokemon and I can hope to get the right Tyrogue in a 5k egg. Not fun.

Yeah raids ending at like 8pm was dumb. I get why they did it, but it sucks for adults for if I'm out late with my family.

Also, can you get shinys from eggs?

Lastly, do luck eggs work when completing raids?

GulAtiCa

Yeah raids ending at like 8pm was dumb. I get why they did it, but it sucks for adults for if I'm out late with my family.

Well, before Legendaries they did last till like 10ish sometimes. Just when Legendaries began, they got rid of the 2 hour start time, so then then ended 2 hours earlier. Really don't get why they haven't changed it yet. Esp as they were willing to change the start / end times when raids first began.

Yes. Heard you can get a Shiny Pichu. Can't get a Shiny Magikarp, since that isn't a egg anymore.

Yep. Doesn't actually show it when it says "10,000 xp" screen, but does give you 2x.

do we know for a fact when the "did a raid in this gym" period started?

as I have done a raid at most of the gyms in my area in the last month, but only one place this week so far as it's the only place that is spawning anything of interest.
No, we don't. Like I said, as far as that goes we only know the period is "weeks".

They've said they plan to extend raid periods, but this probably won't happen until after this month.

Yes, you can hatch shiny Pokémon (and thus you can get shiny Pichu).

Lucky eggs apply to all sources of XP, raids included, yes.

Well, before Legendaries they did last till like 10ish sometimes. Just when Legendaries began, they got rid of the 2 hour start time, so then then ended 2 hours earlier. Really don't get why they haven't changed it yet. Esp as they were willing to change the start / end times when raids first began.

Yes. Heard you can get a Shiny Pichu. Can't get a Shiny Magikarp, since that isn't a egg anymore.
They haven't touched the raid times since they didn't want to potentially introduce problems during the legendary raid excitement (raids are always happening somewhere, so rolling out time changes has to be done carefully). They also said that the change introduced due to removing eggs was effectively a bug though, and they do want to change it.

Also, Magikarp (shiny included), have been hatching lately, but I believe it's because of Safari and/or Yokohama event eggs.

So at this point I believe I have every Pokemon except the regional exclusives.

I really hope they come stateside because I really don't want to travel just for Pokemon lol.

Or at least do an egg event where for a week you have a chance to hatch a regional.

I really hope they come stateside because I really don't want to travel just for Pokemon lol.

Or at least do an egg event where for a week you have a chance to hatch a regional.

Exactly this. I haven't even checked which Gen II Pokémon I'm missing but I think I actually have them all at this point, except for the 100 Candy Evos but those are getting worked on via rare candies.

Awayze

Neo Member
Got one of those unofficial Got-cha devices, so far so good at hitting stops and catching pokemon automatically whilst driving. Negative is it doesn't hit gym stops.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

don't travel JUST for Pokemon.

Travel because traveling is awesome, and enjoy the cool Pokemon you catch there when you do.

8bit

Knows the Score
Got one of those unofficial Got-cha devices, so far so good at hitting stops and catching pokemon automatically whilst driving. Negative is it doesn't hit gym stops.
Neither does the Go.

Unrelated but I'm getting a bit frustrated with this now, used to be I had a couple of paths to walk that I could rack up gyms in, now half of them are blocked with raids that no one is participating in as there is a glut of magikarp and I can't wait hours to battle in them. I get that raids are to keep interest up but there are too many.

HardRojo

Super and Hyper Potions are now being given out by raids.

Damn! That would've been welcome last weekend lol when I did like 20 raids, and I don't think I'll be able to raid much this weekend :/ Hopefully it'll still be a while till Mewtwo drops as I need to get some Tyranitars and power them up.

Top Bottom