• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

border

It seems like it actually helps spoofers, while hurting people who play legitimately. A spoofer can do raids wherever they want, which means they can potentially get more exclusive raid invites. People who play legitimately have to actually travel to raids, and will obviously be eligible to receive invites from fewer gyms.

A spoofer does not have the social network to reliably organize exclusive raids though. If you just hop around the globe all day and suddenly you receive an invitation to a raid in Des Moines, Iowa......how are you going to co-ordinate with the people in Des Moines? You aren't hooked in to the local Facebook group or local Discords.

I would honestly prefer than Niantic stop worrying so much about spoofers though. I honestly don't care if some jackass has 30 Zapdos or whatever. So long as they're not ruining the game for legitimate players, just let them amass their collections in peace.

GulAtiCa

I really don't think this has anything to do with spoofers, more just something more unique.

Don't forget they posted this nearly a month ago: https://youtu.be/bvSe6pMvUjM?t=51

That is likely how it will all work.

My hopes is that it invites ALL that happen to been to that gym where it appears recently. Hopefully a 2+ day counter too.

HardRojo

Oh, now that I think about it, yeah, this is going to be a clusterfuck. Maybe a guild system would be more viable and being able to raid Mewtwo from anywhere if your guild gets an invitation, something like that.

Magik

Am I the only one that noticed how the way the announcement was worded made it sound as if niantic assumed that the game had all the communication tools ready in game and in a workable state?

The game can barely send proper notifications.

A spoofer does not have the social network to reliably organize exclusive raids though. If you just hop around the globe all day and suddenly you receive an invitation to a raid in Des Moines, Iowa......how are you going to co-ordinate with the people in Des Moines? You aren't hooked in to the local Facebook group or local Discords.

I would honestly prefer than Niantic stop worrying so much about spoofers though. I honestly don't care if some jackass has 30 Zapdos or whatever. So long as they're not ruining the game for legitimate players, just let them amass their collections in peace.
Spoofers just need to hit up high profile gyms like say, anything around Times Square, and they'll be golden, since there will people doing those all day.

What does recently even mean?
"Weeks"

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
The invite system seems fine.

The idea that you have to have completed a raid there recently is kinda dumb.

should be anyone within a certain distance off a gym that has a legendary egg pop up on it gets the invite or just keep it how it is now this new system is going to take the already watered down player base and water it down even further

the way it is now:
post on facebook or discord and even just passers by show up get the raid done at your own pace

this new way:
hope someone has done a raid at the random specific gym
hope they even decide to show up
and now if you are a rural or suburban player you are fucked no more going into the city and organizing groups of people
now its hope people do a raid at one of your many spread out gyms with your thinned out player base

shit like this makes me want to start spoofing

Spoofers just need to hit up high profile gyms like say, anything around Times Square, and they'll be golden, since there will people doing those all day.

"Weeks"

Yep when I was in Chicago and New York you just see a raid, join the raid, and no matter what time left 20 people will automatically be in the party because the amount of people and spoofers. Didn't lose half Heath on one Pokémon during a zapdos raid. Spoofers will be having a blast with mewtwo.

What is currently the best psychic pokemon?

Mewtwo? Lugia? Alakazam? Exeggutor?
Alakazam is a dps machine but really weak, executor is strong and does decent dps. I hadn't battled with Lucia once yet, all the raid bosses so far are just weak to Godzilla lol

What is currently the best psychic pokemon?

Mewtwo? Lugia? Alakazam? Exeggutor?
Even with the nerf Mewtwo is still the clear king. He's effectively a super-Alakazam that can actually take hits. Lugia benefits from being exceedingly tanky, especially for a Psychic type, but isn't particularly powerful.

Before the nerf though, Mewtwo was so powerful that he was one of the top counters for basically every Pokémon, even against Pokémon with superior typing.

Acerac

Banned
Am I the only one that noticed how the way the announcement was worded made it sound as if niantic assumed that the game had all the communication tools ready in game and in a workable state?

The game can barely send proper notifications.

The players make dozens (hundreds?) of tools to play Pokemon Go in any sort of functional way, then Niantic looks at the statistics and sees that players are managing with the tools that they have, and feel that their current restrictions are reasonable.

That or they are openly hostile to their playerbase I'm not completely sure which.

H4sq6h8.gif

When everyone is clamoring for Mewtwo but you still haven't been able to get Lugia or any of the birds

HardRojo

Is Articuno's hitbox weird af? Today was the first time I attempted to catch it, but 5 balls simply flew by him and I swear I was simply throwing them just like I did with Zapdos and Moltres, plus its circle doesn't suggest it is too close to the screen.

GulAtiCa

Doubt be today. Or at least doubt the raid will take place today. I imagine it will be more like the trailer and invite would be in a day or 2 in advance

Yeah, this seems stupid...so we get one pass every few days(or even weeks) to a gym we battled then get a pass for you and a small selected group of players who probably won't be able to all meet at the same time...

Edit: and here I was about to throw a $20 for raid passes.....

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Speaking of which, who do I want to use against Mewtwo?

anyone with strong dark moves tyranitar and gengar

Yeah, this seems stupid...so we get one pass every few days(or even weeks) to a gym we battled then get a pass for you and a small selected group of players who probably won't be able to all meet at the same time...

yup you gotta hope enough players did a raid there
then you have to hope they will show up to that specific raid

so many different better ways they could of handled this and they went with what they did is baffling its like they dont even play their own game

Awayze

Neo Member
So many groups playing nowadays here. Didn't even need to organise but just went to random raids on my own and groups would be there or more would be joining.
However I still don't have a Lugia or Zapdos.

border

Speaking of which, who do I want to use against Mewtwo?

Bite/Crunch Tyranitar
Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball Gengar
Fury Cutter/X-Scissor Scizor
Fury Cutter/X-Scissor Pinsir

I'm beginning to think the most exhausting thing about all these raids is trying to assemble decent teams with Stardust being in such short supply.

robochimp

Edit: and here I was about to throw a $20 for raid passes.....

They collected a lot of data on raid participation over the last three weeks. They aren't just going to invite 20 people to your gym and cross their fingers.

Accidently deleted both my 100 IV Tyranitars. So much rage when I figured that out.

Also, Mewto is going to be a disaster. I doubt we will be able to even get 12 people to a single raid on him, let alone the probable 18 we will need.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Accidently deleted both my 100 IV Tyranitars. So much rage when I figured that out.

Also, Mewto is going to be a disaster. I doubt we will be able to even get 12 people to a single raid on him, let alone the probable 18 we will need.

favorite any pokemon over 80% ivs so that never happens

robochimp

How were your legendary raids? We easily had enough on 30 minutes notice, many where we had to split into groups.

They collected a lot of data on raid participation over the last three weeks. They aren't just going to invite 20 people to your gym and cross their fingers.

But the fact remains is if all those supposed 20 people if all will show up, I work 5-6 days a week from roughly 4-11/12....now add in probably 19 others with different work/school/daily life schedules and it will be a complete mess. I've seen a couple of familiar faces in raids but most of the time I meet complete strangers, when I went to Central Park(which I'll be screwed if my invitation is there) nearly every raid I was in was with new people, how on earth am I going to contact them all? Hell on of them was on vacation from another country!

I know we love to give Niantic shit, but developing an app of this size, and one with such a large dependency on outside resources(cell networks) must be very difficult. I'm sure they aren't completely oblivious to things and are doing what they feel would be best.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
But the fact remains is if all those supposed 20 people if all will show up, I work 5-6 days a week from roughly 4-11/12....now add in probably 19 others with different work/school/daily life schedules and it will be a complete mess. I've seen a couple of familiar faces in raids but most of the time I meet complete strangers, when I went to Central Park(which I'll be screwed if my invitation is there) nearly every raid I was in was with new people, how on earth am I going to contact them all? Hell on of them was on vacation from another country!

yup like i said its going to be a nightmare you are taking in some regions watered down player pools and then watering them down even further by putting insane requirements

GulAtiCa

Isn't there a glitch that unfavorites Pokémon you've put in the gym if you check their summary? There's also another annoying glitch that resets your selected team if you choose to heal them while in the lobby.

There is that. Very annoying, but will be fixed in next update. Hopefully soon.

Though I wouldn't dare ever put any of my top Pokemon in gyms. The thing of worry will be defensive pokemon I place. Like my top Blisseys or Snorlaxes. That or fun pokemon lol. I do try my best to go back through and favorite them.

I'd imagine it is because Niantic leaves huge glitches in their game for ages, even if those glitches can absolutely fuck over players.

:(
That's assuming they are even favoriting the Pokemon. I hear this from others from time to time of losing Pokemon and never once favoring them. I started favoring mine like a year ago when someone here accidently lost few of their top Pokemon. :(

robochimp

They'll invite more than 20 people and they know when you raided. They've collected a lot of data about you, they know where you live and where you work.

They have data from all the gyms and I'm sure they have a threshold for gym and time popularity that will trigger invites.

As for contacting other players, that looks like it's going to be all on Facebook or Discord. Post "Yo dudes I have a raid pass for X gym and Y time" you'll get a response.

Went into town to get a Zapdos before they disappeared and ended up with a Moltres instead, which i didn't have.
So are all the birds simultaneously available for a while now?

They'll invite more than 20 people and they know when you raided. They've collected a lot of data about you, they know where you live and where you work.

They have data from all the gyms and I'm sure they have a threshold for gym and time popularity that will trigger invites.

As for contacting other players, that looks like it's going to be all on Facebook or Discord. Post "Yo dudes I have a raid pass for X gym and Y time" you'll get a response.

You're still glossing over availability; what made raiding easy was doing it on your time, but even then there were many times where people I've raided with before couldn't make do to life being in the way, now if I'm correct with this raid being on a selective time and place will put future strain on the raid groups, and who knows if we'll all get this exclusive raid pass at the same time, I haven't raided in these last couple of days. People play Pokémon Go differently; some might log in every day others might log in every other day, the notification can miss them and again put further strain on finding a full raid group. If Mewtwo is anything like Lugia, you're going to need a good squad. And even then if you managed to find group and take down Mewtwo if you don't catch it....hope this raid ideal group will all meet days/weeks....

At least with the birds you had several tries a day, imagine going like 0/10 for a Mewtwo!

robochimp

You're still glossing over availability; what made raiding easy was doing it on your time, but even then there were many times where people I've raided with before couldn't make do to life being in the way, now if I'm correct with this raid being on a selective time and place will put future strain on the raid groups, and who knows if we'll all get this exclusive raid pass at the same time, I haven't raided in these last couple of days. People play Pokémon Go differently; some might log in every day others might log in every other day, the notification can miss them and again put further strain on finding a full raid group. If Mewtwo is anything like Lugia, you're going to need a good squad. And even then if you managed to find group and take down Mewtwo if you don't catch it....hope this raid ideal group will all meet days/weeks....

At least with the birds you had several tries a day, imagine going like 0/10 for a Mewtwo!

And you're worried about things we have no details on. Niantic is putting together your raid group for you and telling you what time to show up.

We know nothing about catching Mewtwo just that for some reason they were giving 50 balls for a 100% catch rate attempt.

Top Bottom