• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

MightyKAC

As an Action RPG fan I'm really anticipating this one. Makes me wonder though if I should make an effort to play Kings Field.

KTallguy

Banned
Thanks for the gameplay vids!
I'm so getting this, it looks right up my ally :)

Holy shit the vids make this game look super fucking hardcore.

KTallguy

Banned
Comments from the play vids:

- The game is not about levels, it's all about player skill. If you don't get good at the game, you likely won't be able to continue on to harder areas.

- Stamina system, as you swing your sword you lose stamina, you can't block or attack without stamina :lol

- Even weak enemies in the beginning can easily kill you if you don't watch out.

Wow. Awesome :)

Edit: There's a parry button1!
OMG you can parry and do a special kill, OH AWESOME!
OMG weapons have health :lol Don't hit the wall with your sword!!
Lol depending on the weight of the your armor you can roll faster :lol

MightyKAC

I'm hoping this game handles ranged combat well. I saw a bow in the screenies, and I'm hoping for some FPS'ing in my ARPG :)

AppleBlade

I've never imported a game but this might be my first. I'll probably wait and see if there is any announcement for a North American release. I'll wait if it's confirmed to be coming over here, otherwise if the baby has English subtitles & English menu's I am totally importing.

hteng

Banned
KTallguy said:

- The game is not about levels, it's all about player skill. If you don't get good at the game, you likely won't be able to continue on to harder areas.

- Stamina system, as you swing your sword you lose stamina, you can't block or attack without stamina :lol

- Even weak enemies in the beginning can easily kill you if you don't watch out.

this is giving me an odin sphere vibe, cept with more hardcore stuff.

Loudninja said:
Any random places to vist.

Random in what way? Supposedly the game is very open-ended in terms of how you tackle the objectives, which are never quite specified for you. It's all about creating your own experience. And yes the game is all about strategy and how you approach your enemies and the terrain.

MightyKAC said:
I'm hoping this game handles ranged combat well. I saw a bow in the screenies, and I'm hoping for some FPS'ing in my ARPG :)
There's no mention on how it handles ranged combat but it makes perfect sense that it'll go to a first person POV for this...Any other way would seem sort of clunky.

*Also, great games they are, however the one's available (in NA atleast) are probably hard to find and extremely outdated in terms of visual quality. If this doesn't bother you, definitely check them out. kings-field.com has all the lore of the KF universe to read, and there are some playthroughs of each game floating around on YouTube and Google Video.

MrVargas said:
I've never imported a game but this might be my first. I'll probably wait and see if there is any announcement for a North American release. I'll wait if it's confirmed to be coming over here, otherwise if the baby has English subtitles & English menu's I am totally importing.

No NA release announcement in sight, so far. If you really want to play it, I say import it. The game does have English text and I'd bet money it'll have subtitles as well. I personally think they included English because an NA version is not in the cards and FROMsoft has already screwed us enough with declining to bring some of the past KF games :) So the next best thing is to provide English localization as an option! Don't quote me on this, it's just rampant speculation on my part!! I think if SCEA wanted to bring this over, they'd announce it by now.

KTallguy said:
Holy shit, there are back attacks and stuff in this game.
Man I really want this.

I know right, I was stoked when I read about them. Helps balance the fact that enemies can and will hide in the shadows and pop out at any time...

KTallguy

Banned
This game is VERY hardcore though. Remember.
Not for everyone.

I think that's why SCEA is kind of backing away from it.
It's simply too difficult.
Some of the information drought is likely hiding the even more difficult components of the game.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
KTallguy said:
This game is VERY hardcore though. Remember.
Not for everyone.

I think that's why SCEA is kind of backing away from it.
It's simply too difficult.
Some of the information drought is likely hiding the even more difficult components of the game.
Why is there an English option if no plans to localize?
Although I realize that put English into Dark mist as well and SCEA ignored it. (hmm, also with Afrika, and Aquanaut's Holiday too.....)

Damnit SCEA! I think I'll have to import this.

dallow_bg said:
Why is there an English option if no plans to localize?
Although I realize that put English into Dark mist as well and SCEA ignored it. (hmm, also with Afrika, and Aquanaut's Holiday too.....)

Damnit SCEA! I think I'll have to import this.

If they include English, XXX amount of importers will buy the game, especially if SCEA doesn't plan to pick this up. Cuts the cost of localizing to other territories considering the PS3 is region free. Since this will most likely be a niche RPG they realize not everyone will like it, but want to give the option to English speaking fans of King's Field series specifically...As a spiritual successor, many hardcore RPG fans who loved KF will buy this for that simple fact alone.

KTallguy said:

Sounds like this little fu@#$er right here:

68uelw.jpg

I am preordering the game tomorrow the new gameplay vids totally sold me.

klee123

Looks like the Asian branch of SCEI is having problems then. Oh well, gives me time to free up some more cash. I'll order Tenchu 4 instead.

Wow what a fucking bummer this is to wake up to...I wonder if NCSx is having the same delay issues? Is it possible to cancel an order at Play-asia if you paid through Paypal?!

So the Asian version, which is Chinese/English would be fine for me in Australia, and that I can only speak English. Is the whole game in English, cos im so beggin to ship this bad boy over.

eXistor

I just ordered it from yesasia. We'll see if it's in English or not. I guess I should expect it to be delayed as well...

schild

Has anyone made a list of PS3 games that have an english option on the asian versions (and no, not including English games that got localized over to asia).

eXistor

schild said:
Has anyone made a list of PS3 games that have an english option on the asian versions (and no, not including English games that got localized over to asia).
Not really, but the last two I bought were completely English (Afrika/Hakuna Matata and Aquanaut's Holiday).

pseudocaesar said:
So the Asian version, which is Chinese/English would be fine for me in Australia, and that I can only speak English. Is the whole game in English, cos im so beggin to ship this bad boy over.

Asian version is fine for you, exactly what you want. The game is playable in English. However, according to Play-asia, there is some sort of delay until Feb. 24. I've contacted them for further information, and I've contacted NCSx to see if their shipment is affected...

eXistor: Does YESASIA mention a shipping date? It could just be a Play-asia problem?

Kittonwy

Banned
KTallguy said:

Like the parry, like the special kill, DO NOT LIKE weapon health and stamina. I don't like weapons breaking in the middle of combat, do you gain back stamina over time? Waiting to replenish stamina sometimes does hurt the pacing of the game.

glaurung

The weapon (all equipment?) health system is OK, forces you to be more calculated.

This makes me wonder whether the game also has an inventory weight limit? Since that would mean that if a sword breaks, you simply grab a new one from the knapsack.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
KTallguy said:

There isnt anything mentioned in this thread that isn't already part of King's Field (or evolved into the series over the years) :)

You guys all missed out bigtime.
(Well, not rolling: KF was first person after all, heh)

Valkyr Junkie said:
I emailed Play-Asia to see what's going on. I'll switch my pre-order over to NCSX if it's not a global delay.

Probably going to do the same IF I can cancel. I paid through Paypal so I'm concerned they won't refund? NCSx and it seems YESASIA still ist it as Feb.5 shipping date. Plus NCSx shipping is faster since I'm here in NY anyway.

Brannon

Defuser said:
Dammit,I just blew my cash on RB2. I'll wait for some good impression before I can decide whether to pick it up.

You spent all your money on Rainbow Brite 2?

Jesus Christ, turn in your gamer card :mad:

Alright well I can 100% confirm a delay. NCSx rep just emailed me back saying that there has in fact been a delay as ordered by the publisher, SCEI/J for the Asian region...So Feb. 24 is the universal ship date for the Asian version now. What a bummer! At least most of us have to wait together :p

Kagari said:
D: That sucks...

I'm still hoping SCEJ puts up some sort of demo...

YES, that would be nice to hold us over. It seems to be getting a fair amount of exposure in Japan, so perhaps there's still hope for some sort of demo.

Feb. 24th isn't too far off in the grand scheme of things, but it is still sour news! I was hoping NCSx and other importers weren't affected.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Alright well I can 100% confirm a delay. NCSx rep just emailed me back saying that there has in fact been a delay as ordered by the publisher, SCEI/J for the Asian region...So Feb. 24 is the universal ship date for the Asian version now. What a bummer! At least most of us have to wait together :p

No! No! Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!
2dnt4y.gif
2dnt4y.gif

2dnt4y.gif
2dnt4y.gif

harSon

Banned
Animation looks pretty horrid but it definitely looks like something I'd dig, any word on how long of a game it is?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think he disabled the chat this time :lol When he did WKC, there was trolling all over the place.

Well I think I am gonna sludge my way through WKC tonight and sell it tomorrow. I really think this is more of what I want. I need a game to kick my ass and show me that I am nothing but a shell of a man again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom