• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFenix

Game looks nice, love the atmosphere, awesome stuff. Only issue is the complete lack of shadows. Looks strange, I clearly remember seeing nice shadows being cast everywhere in the trailer and in screens.

Is this the final build?

WinFonda

Wow this game looks tough and awesome, but I'm wondering why he doesn't use more skills? Or what exactly are his skills? All he seems to be doing is attacking and blocking, but he looks like a warrior class... so I dunno.

WYWY said:
I don't think I've seen such a high frequency of the word 'die' in a thread for a long time.

I'm still trying to figure out if it really is as hard as it looks in this video or if the player just isn't that good. One things for certain, if you get hit then your energy drains quite a bit. It's like regular enemies hit you with the same damage that a boss would in other games.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I wonder if you could be a warrior but still dabble in ranged attacks. Judging from this live feed it seems like it'd be super helpful to shoot arrows or spells from far away.

Also, depending on how much herbs cost, I think I'd just stock pile a bunch, then keep using them so I wouldn't have to go through loading screens whenever my health gets too low. Or at least learn a healing spell pronto.

edit: Seems like he's generating money for better equipment. Nice to know every enemy kill nets you some cash.

MrHicks said:
this seems boring
just basic melee attacks and shield blocks
maybe he plays a really shitty class i dunno

I honestly don't think the guy is very good. When I played it at TGS I was mixing things up with parrys and then running behind them for stealth kills.

jiggle

new weapon, a mace

Guymelef said:
Almost an hour since i'm watching this guy playing and no level up.
:?

do u even level in this game?
it looks like he's powering up individual stats

I like how whenever he comes across a boss he dies in a matter of seconds - that over-sized zombie thing in the mine completely ruined him, and the dragon didn't even have to land to kill him, just roasted him in his armor with a hench fireball :lol

I don't think he's ever going to actually get to fight that dragon. He finally started making his way toward him a bit more and then a group of wolves came and ripped him up. And as he was trying to escape the dragon killed him again.

WinFonda said:
Anyone have any idea how many skills are in this game? Or how they work?

A little while back on the stream, I think I saw the guy exchanging captured souls for skill upgrades - there seemed to be about 10 or so different skill catagories/classes, each one with an overall level and in each of these catagories there were about 3-5 different skills - obviousley as it was in Japanese, I could be wrong.

*edit, awesome - the player now has a giant evil looking two-handed axe and can swing it suprisingly quickly, looks like a good weapon to use.

Also, he hacked off the lock on a storage cupboard and loads of huge cannonballs rolled down the path crushing about 4 or so enemies.

eXistor

Just been watching the stream for 10 minutes. It looks good, but hard. Not necessarily a bad thing of course, but it could be very frustrating. Anyone know how the game handles death? From the little I've seen the enemies seem to stay dead, but is there a penalty?

eXistor said:
Anyone know how the game handles death? From the little I've seen the enemies seem to stay dead, but is there a penalty?

When you die, you leave behind all of your collected souls (currency) and equipment/items gained during the level in the exact place of your death - you are transported back to the beginning of the level and there are no checkpoints. While the enemies remain dead for as long as you are in the level, if you switch back to the hub area when you return to the level the enemies will have respawned.

Also, it seems that the game remembers the various places you have died - say for instance you die on one level before then switching to another, when you come back to the first level your collected souls & items will still be left in the place you originally died.

eXistor

Bootaaay said:
When you die, you leave behind all of your collected souls (currency) and equipment/items gained during the level in the exact place of your death - you are transported back to the beginning of the level and there are no checkpoints. While the enemies remain dead for as long as you are in the level, if you switch back to the hub area when you return to the level the enemies will have respawned.

Also, it seems that the game remembers the various places you have died - say for instance you die on one level before then switching to another, when you come back to the first level your collected souls & items will still be left in the place you originally died.

Cool, thanks.

Well I am definitely going to jump in tomorrow.

Will put up impressions for everyone. If there are any questions you can go ahead and start asking them now so I can keep the look out for certain stuff.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Will put up impressions for everyone. If there are any questions you can go ahead and start asking them now so I can keep the look out for certain stuff.

I guess my main question would be as to how the co-op is handled - is there a function for simply inviting someone from your friends list? Or is co-op handled enitrely through the shown feature of summoning other players who have died during the same level as you?

Also, if possible it'd be great if you could translate some of the classes, skills & miracles for us.

Cheers, and I hope you enjoy it :) Wish I could understand Japanese, waiting until the 24th for this is going to be a bastard.

eXistor

As expected I got an email from yesasia saying it's been postponed until Feb. 23 (Asian version of course).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JoeFenix said:
Game looks nice, love the atmosphere, awesome stuff. Only issue is the complete lack of shadows. Looks strange, I clearly remember seeing nice shadows being cast everywhere in the trailer and in screens.
If I had to guess, taking out shadows was their last-minute 'solution' to get the framerate up. Wouldn't be surprised if they patch something back in eventually (or in localized releases).

Raistlin

Fafalada said:
If I had to guess, taking out shadows was their last-minute 'solution' to get the framerate up.

ha ... that was my first thought as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if they patch something back in eventually (or in localized releases).

That wasn't :p

Seeing that Sony is involved though, maybe there is more of a chance.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Onix said:
What are your thoughts on the retail build? I know you weren't a fan of the TGS showing.
DjMizuhara is going to be doing the videos, so you'll have to ask him when he gets the game. Game was a mess technically and artistically at the TGS, and from the little I saw from the stream it doesn't look any better now (except the framerate), but that's just my opinion of course.

Blimblim said:
DjMizuhara is going to be doing the videos, so you'll have to ask him when he gets the game. Game was a mess technically and artistically at the TGS, and from the little I saw from the stream it doesn't look any better now (except the framerate), but that's just my opinion of course.

Hmmm, I think it looks nice...Honestly some of the backgrounds look pretty good and the atmosphere is pretty effective... I mean it does look a bit barren, but that adds to the atmosphere...rather than some of the environments in say SO4 which just look a little flat and empty. Of course that game has other stuff going for it. No shadows is pretty ridiculous though.

Gameplay is hack and slash though...not really my thing

Blimblim said:

Just not into the setting? ...don't like the dark medievel fantasy stuff?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Damn, wish I hadn't of missed the dragon bit. This red-ish enemy is tearing him a new one. He doesn't seem to be doing any damage to it.

Damn, so much information...scrolled through a lot but did pick up that the Japanese version has English audio?! So why am I waiting for the delayed Asian version?! *Changes order quickly* So the version that is being played live, was that confirmed Japanese version?

About the classes, from what I know this is the 10 classes to choose from:

Hunter, Aristocrat, Temple Knight, Shinto Priest, Thief, Knight, Barbarian, "Tramp" (?), Magician, and Soldier...Now mind you this is only through a rough a translation so the names could be off, but there seems to be a balance between sword play and magic for most of these classes.

Diseased Yak said:
Damn, wish I hadn't of missed the dragon bit. This red-ish enemy is tearing him a new one. He doesn't seem to be doing any damage to it.

You didn't miss much, I don't think he ever beat the dragon...or actually got near enough to even fight it, it just kept roasting him from the air. I've seen him attack 3 crazy bosses so far, and they've all kicked his ass in about 1 or 2 hits at the most - he's only had any luck against the glowing red guys, which I presume are just like powered up versions of normal enemies, and although the one outside that castle keeps killing him, he's managed to take down a couple.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So the version that is being played live, was that confirmed Japanese version?

I asumed it was, as the Asian version would surely either be in Chinese or English, rather than Japanese.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Hunter, Aristocrat, Temple Knight, Shinto Priest, Thief, Knight, Barbarian, "Tramp" (?), Magician, and Soldier...Now mind you this is only through a rough a translation so the names could be off, but there seems to be a balance between sword play and magic for most of these classes.

I would guess that Tramp actually translates to 'Vagabond' or some similar RPG class like Rogue or Ranger.

KTallguy

Banned
Blim, if you have vids of that dragon it would be awesome :D

I can see why people would say "it's a mess" or "it doesn't look good", but to me, this game looks really god damned fun. I hope that they can take what they've learned from this project and reuse the knowledge in other projects, maybe even taking the same engine and making something more forgiving for the masses. :lol

Edit: Wow this guy looks like he's getting better.

Wow he got owned by that dragon wtf.

Aww man, he almost made it across the bridge this time but he had to get greedy and try to pick up those glowing things along the way.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
SolidSnakex said:
Aww man, he almost made it across the bridge this time but he had to get greedy and try to pick up those glowing things along the way.

He sucks, pretty much. Either he's stopping to grab those glowing things when he shouldn't, or he's hee-hawing around, walking when he should be running. It's pretty funny, but frustrating.

The game sure does start you a ways back when you die and restart.

KTallguy

Banned
This is really a game where you can't get greedy.
It reminds me a lot of Monster Hunter, one mistake can basically destroy you or severely damage you.

The guy seems very careless when he's playing.
Unfortunately 99% of the audience isn't hard core enough to really be able to enjoy this game.
I'm glad that they're still being made, I'm gonna pick this up as soon as I get my new TV.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
John Harker said:
I can't connect :(

Do we know exactly what happens when you die now?

Looks like you respawn back where you entered the level. If you get back up to where you died it looks like you can pick up your soul or something, probably gives you some exp back or something.

He's just sitting there now, probably off curling one down while we wait for him to come back and die some more.

glaurung

John Harker said:
I can't connect :(

Do we know exactly what happens when you die now?

Don't bother to connect now, he's idle.

I think that dying creates a corpse that includes some souls and can be picked up again.

It reminds me of the tombstone system in Dark Age of Camelot - dying in the field meant you had to find the place where you'd been killed and pray at a gravestone to restore lost experience.

Edit: beaten by a Jak.

There's no strict JRPG level progression in the game, is there?

Bootaaay said:
You didn't miss much, I don't think he ever beat the dragon...or actually got near enough to even fight it, it just kept roasting him from the air. I've seen him attack 3 crazy bosses so far, and they've all kicked his ass in about 1 or 2 hits at the most - he's only had any luck against the glowing red guys, which I presume are just like powered up versions of normal enemies, and although the one outside that castle keeps killing him, he's managed to take down a couple.

I asumed it was, as the Asian version would surely either be in Chinese or English, rather than Japanese.

I would guess that Tramp actually translates to 'Vagabond' or some similar RPG class like Rogue or Ranger.

Makes perfect sense. Not to mention the Asian version isn't even out yet :p So I changed my order, I need a new game ASAP!

Haha my poor translation skills...Vagabond sounds about right honestly. There is a thief class, but there also seems to be a few classes focused on sword play. The translation could be off but those 10 are what I got from the info I've got.

I'm going to update some of the thread. It seems like a lot of people are curious about the skills, classes, and combat in general.

glaurung said:
Don't bother to connect now, he's idle.

I think that dying creates a corpse that includes some souls and can be picked up again.

It reminds me of the tombstone system in Dark Age of Camelot - dying in the field meant you had to find the place where you'd been killed and pray at a gravestone to restore lost experience.

Edit: beaten by a Jak.

There's no strict JRPG level progression in the game, is there?

Yes, the misconception was that you start from the beginning when you die. You're right though, it's a corpse and you collect your soul. I believe all items you've collected along the way are still available, you just have to play through the current area again.

The game is supposed to be very open-ended on the player's part. So essentially you will be in charge of that progression. That's what the developers have described at least.

glaurung

A thief class?

I haven't seen any stealth in the game so far beside the odd backstab kill that pulls in the camera really close.

Do we get real stealth (Oblivion-style) in the game?

glaurung said:
Is it me or doesn't he really sacrifice enough souls to boost his own stats and HP?

He wasted a ton of souls saving up for a miracle that sets his sword on fire, but it didn't seem to make much difference in terms of his success :lol Perhaps thats the reason he hasn't upgraded his HP much.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I believe all items you've collected along the way are still available, you just have to play through the current area again.

I believe you are correct, however I think that any items & weapons you've collected while in the stage stay with your corpse until you pick them up again as I was watching earlier and he found a large axe, but then died and couldn't use the axe again until he'd got back to his corpse - so i'd guess that your weapons & items are saved once you've returned back to the hub area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom