• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
glaurung said:
A thief class?

I haven't seen any stealth in the game so far beside the odd backstab kill that pulls in the camera really close.

Do we get real stealth (Oblivion-style) in the game?

Probably skill progression.. The details of how each class works is minimal. There's got to be some benefit to playing as the thief.

Bootaaay said:
I believe you are correct, however I think that any items & weapons you've collected while in the stage stay with your corpse until you pick them up again as I was watching earlier and he found a large axe, but then died and couldn't use the axe again until he'd got back to his corpse - so i'd guess that your weapons & items are saved once you've returned back to the hub area.

Exactly. Which is refreshing considering the shittiness of having to playthrough again :)

So I am just tuning in to this dude's justin.tv now and he's idling in the hub area. Is there loot? And is that music playing in-game? I'm assuming it is. No BGM during field exploration correct?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Exactly. Which is refreshing considering the shittiness of having to playthrough again :)

So I am just tuning in to this dude's justin.tv now and he's idling in the hub area. Is there loot? And is that music playing in-game? I'm assuming it is. No BGM during field exploration correct?

He keeps looting some glowing balls that occasionally drop. He's also purchased equipment from vendors. Haven't seen any actual looting of equipment from downed enemies yet, not sure if there are any or not.

edit: yeah, no bgm while running around. really adds to the atmosphere if you ask me, i like it.

Diseased Yak said:
He keeps looting some glowing balls that occasionally drop. He's also purchased equipment from vendors. Haven't seen any actual looting of equipment from downed enemies yet, not sure if there are any or not.

edit: yeah, no bgm while running around. really adds to the atmosphere if you ask me, i like it.

No BGM = awesome. Reminds me of SoTC, and it definitely adds to the atmosphere. Can't wait until this fool starts playing :p.

Yea I figured there wasn't any proper loot, only vendors. The orbs seem to be souls or something?

It's good to know that you aren't the only character in this world :p

Also, looks like the menus are in Japanese however. Any idea if this option can be changed? Probably not right? Definitely easier to figure out what the menu items are than the story if you don't speak Japanese...

glaurung

As much as I have been watching the stream, the glowing orbs on downed enemies are simply loot markers - he's picked up herbs and crafting materials from them.

The crafting materials are used at the blacksmith to upgrade the equipment (or just the weapons), mostly giving a +X modifier to attack strength. It seems there are other upgrade paths for weapons as well, kind of in TLR, but he hasn't found any items to do that.

As for picking up equipment in the field, I sam that he received a bow and arrows from a corpse in the guard tower (between strafing the dragon on the walls).

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
...and he's back, bowels emptied. I love the lack of music, the ambient sounds are fantastic. Crows cawing, the wind. The sound of the dragon screaming by overhead was sooo well done.

glaurung

Diseased Yak said:
...and he's back, bowels emptied. I love the lack of music, the ambient sounds are fantastic. Crows cawing, the wind. The sound of the dragon screaming by overhead was sooo well done.

The dragon was awesome, screen-shaking, probably vibrating the controller as well.

But the crows alternated only between two sound clips. I got irritated immediately.

Ahh ok, that makes more sense about the orbs. I am just tuning in so I wasn't aware that different things have been acquired.

The atmosphere is top-fucking-notch IMO. Really digging it overall...I like the idea of the upgrade paths mentioned, similar to TLR.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just saw him loot a sword and what looked like a quiver of arrows off some fallen foes, so I guess there is loot in the game.

Diseased Yak said:
Just saw him loot a sword and what looked like a quiver of arrows off some fallen foes, so I guess there is loot in the game.

Saw that too, has he used the bow & arrow yet? Curious how it works...

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Saw that too, has he used the bow & arrow yet? Curious how it works...

Nope, not seen him use the bow once and i've been watching most of the day (hooraay for a lack of supervision at work!) - he's used a short sword, a long sword, a two handed bastard sword (risky), a dagger (for about a minute, seemed hard for his character to use), a mace and some huge axe (looked awesome).

Loudninja said:
He has gotten better.

True, but he's also gotten quite over confidant with some of the easier enemies, just because he can now kill them in 1 hit - they still can take a load of damage off if you're not careful.

Loudninja

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
:lol Think he finally figured out that it's no hack-n-slash!

Yeah that's what I like about the combat.

True, but he's also gotten quite over confidant with some of the easier enemies, just because he can now kill them in 1 hit - they still can take a load of damage off if you're not careful.

Yep they still can kill easily if you not careful.

Bootaaay said:
Nope, not seen him use the bow once and i've been watching most of the day (hooraay for a lack of supervision at work!) - he's used a short sword, a long sword, a two handed bastard sword (risky), a dagger (for about a minute, seemed hard for his character to use), a mace and some huge axe (looked awesome).

Damn, really want to see how that works. The axe looks awesome from screens I've seen. No doubt that bastard sword is probably the worst one to use, leaves you open for far too long. I'm definitely pleasantly surprised with the difficulty. It'll be nice to have a game that doesn't hold your hand throughout!

Also, do the weapons break when smacked against the wall too much? Thought I saw his sword break...

One more question. Has the story unfolded much yet? How does it unfold, cutscenes? OR some sort of on-screen text? This will be the determining factor if I order the Japanese version or wait out the Asian one.

glaurung

Hah, he fell.

Really stupidly.

But it seems that only minibosses and pre-destined loot points provide equipment pickups. He just got a massive double-axe from a corpse on the castle wall.

DunpealD

Loudninja said:
He has gotten better.

Just watched a little bit, but I'm glad that I didn't have to see how he was at the beginning :/

Seems to have good atmosphere and the overall difficulty in terms of damage seems to be challenging. I hope I can get my hands on the Asian version.

Dante

Live stream SOLD me on this game...Loving what I saw. BTW what is the team that did Dark Mist, and Folklore up to?

Wow, just saw him try out a pick-axe and a huge battle-axe - you can decide whether you want to wield the weapon with one or two hands :eek: Presumably using one hand limits the power of your attacks, with the advantadge of being able to use a shield.

Bootaaay said:
Wow, just saw him try out a pick-axe and a huge battle-axe - you can decide whether you want to wield the weapon with one or two hands :eek: Presumably using one hand limits the power of your attacks, with the advantadge of being able to use a shield.

That's very interesting, I noticed that too. I like the idea of that...I'm curious if any of the story has been revealed and if it's through cutscenes?

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm curious if any of the story has been revealed and if it's through cutscenes?

Haven't seen any cut-scenes so far, just simple NPC conversations with the priest woman.

Also noticed that it's more difficult to do damage when using a large weapon in a tight area - the guys long-sword kept rebounding off the wall instead of hitting the enemy fully.

Bootaaay said:
Haven't seen any cut-scenes so far, just simple NPC conversations with the priest woman.

Also noticed that it's more difficult to do damage when using a large weapon in a tight area - the guys long-sword kept rebounding off the wall instead of hitting the enemy fully.

Conversations are voiced though correct?

Yea that seems to be the case. I'm also wondering if the weapons break because of this? Either way, it really gets you to think.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Conversations are voiced though correct?

Yep, all the coversations are voiced in English - although the priest woman didn't reveal much, most of what she said was quite cryptic.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm also wondering if the weapons break because of this? Either way, it really gets you to think.

I'd presume that it'd add wear & tear to the weapons, although I don't recall seeing one break yet, unless I missed it. Anyways, all these factors certainly add alot of strategy to the game - now when I play it i'm going to make sure to carry a good dagger for those tight-spaced areas.

*edit, wtf?! Anyone else see those weird fire-salamander things that climbed out of a pit and started attacking the guys feet? Took him a good 30 seconds or so to figure out wtf was going on :lol

Bootaaay said:
*edit, wtf?! Anyone else see those weird fire-salamander things that climbed out of a pit and started attacking the guys feet? Took him a good 30 seconds or so to figure out wtf was going on :lol

Yea I think they call them magma geckos or something. He was getting his ass handed to him and they were much bigger than I expected.

Oh wow, a cutscene finally!

Isn't the light some sort of crystal? I agree though it's kind of irritating. It seems awkward that no shadows are cast either when using that light? In terms of the player..

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
If we only knew. Hopefully something!!

The Game Republic team are actually working on a PSN version of the board game Catan and although i'd personally love a Folklore sequel, Catan on PSN should be great.

Bootaaay said:
The Game Republic team are actually working on a PSN version of the board game Catan and although i'd personally love a Folklore sequel, Catan on PSN should be great.

Awesome...also love Catan. Folklore sequel would be stellar, let's hope they were just blowing smoke when saying no sequel.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Really love the atmosphere in this game. It's unsettling somewhat, which is great.

Did anyone see earlier when he was up on a castle rampart and kicked over a rack of huge steel or stone (couldn't tell for sure) balls, that in turn rolled down the rampart and killed a bunch of dudes? That was freakin' awesome. Then the camera panned around and you could see that bronze/gold dragon sitting on top of the castle wall in the distance. It was freakin' sweet.

Raistlin

Brannon said:
Watching the video and just noticed that the action doesn't stop when in the menu/equipment screen.

Awesome.

Yeah, it really is hardcore ... especially considering different enemies and environments force you to switch to be effective.

Raistlin

Bootaaay said:

When is Catan supposed to hit?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Hoooooly shit at the spider boss! WTF why didn't he put his shield up?!? LOL, was practically screaming in my cube here.

Wow, that was really awesome looking. Hurry up, Asian version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom