• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim gets high res texture patch with the release of the Creation Kit

How do i stop this piece of shit downloading?? I don't want it, yet can't play while its paused in the download queue.

Oh and i'm actually lol'ing at these photos.
Those purists, who seem oblivious to the fact that the "artists impression" was to make everything fit in 256mb of console VRAM, have been ranting for months about how amateur texture packs are little more than beth's textures ran through a sharpening filter.
3.1GB, and you get Beth's textures that have been ran through a sharpening filter.

I don't care if it was ran through a sharpening filter or not, I only want textures that match the style of the game completely. I never had much of a problem with the vanilla textures but the update is a nice improvement.

Those purists, who seem oblivious to the fact that the "artists impression" was to make everything fit in 256mb of console VRAM, have been ranting for months about how amateur texture packs are little more than beth's textures ran through a sharpening filter.
3.1GB, and you get Beth's textures that have been ran through a sharpening filter.
You really have no idea. You know the options menu where you can pick Low, Medium or High textures? This update is Ultra. That is all. It's not a sharpening filter. I'm sure you would have liked to choose 'Ultra' textures if it was orginally in the menu.

Arucardo

Anyone saying these are just the stock textures run through a sharpening filter is crazy or has no idea how textures are even made these days.

Mr Swine

Banned
I think the textures look fantastic! Never going back to vanilla textures ;) Also did Skyrim get a performance boost? Now it runs smooth everywhere in 8x FSAA when it didn't before 0_0

[/URL]

Do you want videogames to be taken seriously as art? Then respect the artists.

Art is constrained by its medium. Do you support colorizing black and white films because the artists didn't have the ability to shoot on color film stock? I don't like modder's textures because they are not apart of the game Bethesda made. Those screens confidence man posted, while good looking, do not look like Skyrim just like the colorized It's a Wonderful Life does not look like Capra's film.

And the Bethesda textures clearly show more detail than just sharpening would do. I would love if Bethesda released another texture pack of even higher resolution as there are plenty of places to improve, but I don't see that happening.

I do like mods though. It's a unique aspect of videogames that no other art form really approaches, but if you are not even going to appreciate the game the developers made why even play it?

Well there is an improvement, but I can't help to prefer several of the textures made by the community (artistically). Which is quite rare of me. I can't even say this of Maldo's Crysis 2 texture pack, which is a must to play that game.

jambo

I do like mods though. It's a unique aspect of videogames that no other art form really approaches, but if you are not even going to appreciate the game the developers made why even play it?
Not everyone plays games to appreciate them =\

A lot of people play them to have fun and part of that fun can be modding them.

Lime

Do you want videogames to be taken seriously as art? Then respect the artists.

Art is constrained by its medium. Do you support colorizing black and white films because the artists didn't have the ability to shoot on color film stock? I don't like modder's textures because they are not apart of the game Bethesda made. Those screens confidence man posted, while good looking, do not look like Skyrim just like the colorized It's a Wonderful Life does not look like Capra's film.

And the Bethesda textures clearly show more detail than just sharpening would do. I would love if Bethesda released another texture pack of even higher resolution as there are plenty of places to improve, but I don't see that happening.

Are you against restorations of old art pieces? Old films, ancient paintings, sculptures, etc.?

I mean, as long as the mod improvement constrain itself to the original source art, I can't see any problem with it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Are you against restorations of old art pieces? Old films, ancient paintings, sculptures, etc.?

I mean, as long as the mod improvement constrain itself to the original source art, I can't see any problem with it.

The mods tend to be reinterpretations, not restorations.

Do you want videogames to be taken seriously as art?
Does Bethesda?
Then respect the artists.

I'm going to blow your mind.

pz6mf.jpg

That's canon.

zkylon

zkylewd
Post some.
Not saying it's always the case but this weapons mod (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=1754) has some great in-lore texturework and looks a lot more like an upgrade than that hd shield texture:

Just because it isn't made by Bethesda doesn't mean no one can get in their shoes and capture their style.

I do think it's safe to say that most modders (including the above's author) oversharpen their textures...

edit: put the images on a quote box...it was annoying me...

-GOUKI-

I don't even know what that means. You want them to be blurry?

[ig]http://i.picpar.com/461b9584fc81450cad550f3fbec39df20ede60d5.jpg[/img]

[ig]http://i.picpar.com/af8e1033549318d2e29671d43cf3ff2eb9e30ee4.jpg[/img]

[ig]http://i.picpar.com/27299a4a1aae759d904709912c54a51418ea7e27.jpg[/img]

Omg Wtf is this enb?

That doesn't look very good. Super sharp table textures against low resolution flooring.

Given the table is much closer to eye level I'd rather have a high-res table and low-res floor than low-res both.

For me as long as they're not grossly out of place high-quality assets will trump low-quality assets regardless of "artist's intent", not that that has much relevance with respect to things like wood grain or dirt. Does anyone seriously believe that a more detailed wood grain compromises the artist's vision of the game?

I love (and simultaneously hate) how the hi-res pack and Creation Kit release coincides with the 33% off Skyrim sale. Must... practice... fiscal responsibility...

Btw here is a detailed breakdown of what is and isn't changed (along with certain things that were improperly packaged): http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1343691-info-detailed-analysis-of-highres-pack-click-to-learn/

Actors

Most creatures have doubled textures.

Regarding characters, the ONLY change is the _msn normal maps have been saved as UNCOMPRESSED .dds files (24bit). The .msn files are the exact same size as before, just uncompressed. So for mod authors, we still need high-res replacers for everything BUT the .msn body files. Oh, and the Argonians and Khajiit were left out of the HighRes pack (no doubt due to racism…heh).

Architecture

Nearly 75% (666 of the original 898 files) of these textures were doubled. Files left out were the smaller detail textures like windows, flora, ect.

Armor

80% of the files are doubled with mainly the amulets and rings not being improved except for the two “generic” files: “genericamulets” and “genericrings”.

Blood

Half are doubled, half not. They still use DXT3 which causes the “checkerboard” compression artifacts…I question if DXT3 is proper.

Clothes

87% is doubled. Nearly everything.

Clutter

Here’s the important one IMO. Clutter had ugly textures originally. Sadly only about 40% are doubled. Rest are untouched.

Many, many “common” textures are missing. So sad…only the “big” ones like crates, furniture, rugs are doubled. So mods like Skyrim HD are still VERY needed for a lot of the “minor” stuff.

There’s too much too list regarding what is skipped. Just look for yourself if you wish. Or use software to compile a list.

Dungeons

About half doubled. Dwemer Ruins and Mines are entirely missing. In general, which is typical of Architecture textures in this pack, the Dungeons textures that were 1024x1024 originally aren’t increased, only their normal maps were.

Effects

Only a small portion are doubled. The vast majority aren’t touched by the HighRes pack.

Furniture

Only the poor bedpillow01 and noble\noblefurnbed01 textures (4 files) aren’t doubled.

Interface

Skills backgrounds are doubled, as expected, but minor stuff like Constellation Lines aren’t.

Interface\books (all the .png files) aren’t included.

The logo emblem and lockpicking textures are doubled (which is all the “objects” folder contents).

Landscape

Only exactly 20% are included (38 of 190). You know all those 512x512 landscape textures? Yes, they still are 512x512, grrr!! There is only 1 texture out of 15 improved for the landscape\grass folder. So sad.

The two mountainslab textures ARE NOT IMPROVED. These are the gray slabs people talk about.

And no Roads diffuse maps are increased, only three normal maps are increased.

For the trees, about 2/3 are improved. But some branches and other textures aren’t improved. (Vurt’s Mod still essential!)

LOD (level of detail files)

Not included at all. The game will still use the original 128x128 or 256x256 textures for the distant lower-detail meshes. Probably not included since it would have required redoing all these manually (maybe).

Plants

Only 30% or so, mostly shrubs, and flora stuff. The textures for food and alchemical items were mostly untouched.

Sky

Only the clouds and nebula/galaxy textures were improved. The Moons, Aurora, Sun wasn’t.

Terrain

The distant trees textures were doubled. The normal maps for the Tamriel distant objects like rocks and buildings was doubled, but not the diffuse texture. Would have been nice to have truly doubled distant object textures…

Water

Untouched. Non of the three water effect textures were touched.

Weapons

91% of files improved. Interestingly, here Bethesda occasionally quadruples the size, not just doubles. Some weapons go from 512x512 to 2048x2048, while some (most) go from 512x512 to 1024x1024. This makes me ask…give us the 2048x2048 for EVERYTHING??? PLEASE!?

Conclusion

Thanks to Bethesda for releasing any HighRes pack at all! I’m very grateful! That being said, overall, many textures are still a bit lacking definition, especially the architecture. Moreover, a lot of the simple objects like all the clutter and common stuff isn’t touched. So now we have higher res walls and floors with objects on them that are still low-res. Oh well, wouldn’t want to put us modders out of work…

Card Boy

Banned
FUD. I've got 1GB card and its never even so much as hitched.
edit: and i've got about 4 other texture mods running at the same time, AND run at everything maxed out.

Not really sure why your calling out FUD when the Skyrim HD Nexus page itself is recommending the 1.2 gig Vram.

Ok, i've read most of this thread (i know I'm lazy) and just need a straight up answer; do i install this Bethesda texture patch, or keep with the HD Texture Mod that has been released?

Top Bottom