• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim gets high res texture patch with the release of the Creation Kit

rbanke

Yep.
Very disappointing. There seems to be a almost fanatical hatred of amateur texture packs on some areas of this board, but at least when i installed SkyrimHD i fucking knew it had made a huge difference.

I don't know why, but I like to stick to the original content. Not just texture packs, but mods as well. I don't like to install mods that add content that wasn't part of the original game, although I have no problem installing mods that alter game play dynamics that I don't like (balance changes, ui changes, etc). I don't know why, just how I've always been. I don't even install texture packs/mods on Minecraft lol.

Alchemy

wtf
should've gone here and checked it out first
4 gb dl for that?!

it's not such a huge jump to be worth it

i would've preferred a lot more optimization to make it run perfect and to fix the glitches in side quests

The thing is there would be different teams working on these things. It isn't like texture artists would magically turn into engine programmers.

And while its a small change visually, there are probably a ton of textures being updated and art assets are huge files.

Because a whole bunch of amateur texture packs are more concerned with cutting your eyeballs on razor sharp textures than they are with matching the original's style. See: Every Half-Life 2 high-rez texture pack in existence.

But then there are a bunch that aren't, and are just flat-out superior to what Bethesda offers.

Hawk269

Stupid question because I never used a hi-res texture pack, but how do you activate/use it? I downloaded the HD pack from steam, waited for it download, then started the game. Is there a hidden option I missed that I need to activate/turn on/off the hd texture pack?

Himajin

Downloaded the textures, applied them, played for a bit, exited, and deleted them. I honestly did not see much of a difference :/

Were they affecting performance or something? They may not be a huge bump, but they're clearly better than vanilla, so I don't know why you'd want to delete them.

Post some.

I'm too lazy to look for them all but Skyrim HD has fantastic landscape, snow, and road textures. There's one called Farmhouse and Village one that redoes all the woodwork for that set. There's one that replaces all the NPC clothing, isoku's water and fire replacers, lots of rocks to choose from. Dig through ColonialRaptor's posts about mods and you'll find them all.

Were they affecting performance or something? They may not be a huge bump, but they're clearly better than vanilla, so I don't know why you'd want to delete them.

"Clearly?" It's incredibly difficult to tell the difference unless you're switching between two screenshots of the exact same photo.

Performance seemed pretty much the same. I didn't see much difference so I just decided to delete them.

epmode

Regardless, it's a definite improvement. I guess I'd delete it if I was running low on HDD space but this isn't 2002.

Card Boy

Banned
Yep.
Very disappointing. There seems to be a almost fanatical hatred of amateur texture packs on some areas of this board, but at least when i installed SkyrimHD i fucking knew it had made a huge difference.

The problem with Skyrim HD is it uses textures that doesn't fit with everything else. I find Markarth and Solitute hideous with Skyrim HD.

Bethesda's hi-res pack does what i want it to, it makes the existing textures better res instead of remaking them.

It also doesn't help that You need like 1.2gig VRAM to run Skyrim HD.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Those textures seem more like a "Oh, heh, other than optimizing the PC binary we forgot to add in the right textures...what to do? We'll just release it as a patch later"

I'm too lazy to look for them all but Skyrim HD has fantastic landscape, snow, and road textures. There's one called Farmhouse and Village one that redoes all the woodwork for that set. There's one that replaces all the NPC clothing, isoku's water and fire replacers, lots of rocks to choose from. Dig through ColonialRaptor's posts about mods and you'll find them all.

I've looked through all those and find them pretty ugly from an artistic standpoint. Way too sharp and unbalanced.

Forkball

None of the current mods on the workshop seem that interesting. I know it's only been a day, but I was hoping for something cool.

goodfella

I3HsR.jpg
[/IMG]

No difference, obviously.

Pyrrhus

I like the texture pack. It brings the clothes and armor up to the quality of the faces and flags and fabric look better more or less across the board.

Himajin

Performance seemed pretty much the same. I didn't see much difference so I just decided to delete them.

To save hard disk space, then? I just don't understand why you'd delete something you only just downloaded. The difference is more obvious in some places than others, but they certainly don't make the game look worse...

I don't even know what that means. You want them to be blurry?
I want them to be what the original artists intended. I don't edit a movie because its cinematography is not to my liking or a book because I don't like the sentence structure. If I don't like an aspect I accept it as flaw and respect the vision of the work.

Wallach

I just jumped in-game to check this out. Pretty noticeable upgrade, and one that is more than welcome. I'm glad they wound up following through with this.

deleted

The ground texture posted above is a mod, not the high-res pack, right?

It look amazingly good. It reminds me of Crysis for some reason.

You mean when a shitload of proper mods (thanks to the CK) will be out? That's the best time to start playing the game, imo.

I'll play once the unofficial patches and mods that 'fix' certain things like leveled loot are released.

Thanks to Oblivion, I'm done with mod-hunting for hours just for IMMERSION.

I'm definitely noticing the new textures the more I play the game. It feels like a layer of vaseline has been scrubbed away. Especially on the apparel. You can see weaving were it never existed before.

This pack was never going to be a night and day difference though. These are the textures from before but at a higher quality. So especially from a distance they won't look much different at all. One of the reasons the mods look so drastically different is because they aren't the same textures. That's not to say Bethesda couldn't improve even further though, because they definitely can.

Here's another comparison for anyone interested:
HD
iiYuNnvDqzBhX.bmp

Vanilla
ibdafVTvLV9ZKs.bmp

Ledsen

How do i stop this piece of shit downloading?? I don't want it, yet can't play while its paused in the download queue.

Oh and i'm actually lol'ing at these photos.
Those purists, who seem oblivious to the fact that the "artists impression" was to make everything fit in 256mb of console VRAM, have been ranting for months about how amateur texture packs are little more than beth's textures ran through a sharpening filter.
3.1GB, and you get Beth's textures that have been ran through a sharpening filter.

Er... they haven't been run through any filter, they just aren't as downscaled as the ones that shipped with the game. Also wanting to keep the "artists impression" has NOTHING to do with the sharpness of the textures (obviously everyone would prefer high-res textures), and EVERYTHING to do with art style, color theory, texture consistency etc.

Top Bottom