• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Luigiv

How does one change the voice acting to Japanese in the EU version of Xenoblade? Or even off? I just can't get onboard with the voice talent in the EU localization.

Despite my best efforts to solve this myself, I have failed. Would appreciate some help!

It reminds me exactly of this:
http://i.imgur.com/XQY6i.jpg[IMG]

I can't stop imagining my characters in a threesome while conducting battle, which is so unintentionally hilarious it completely saps the excitement out of the act (in all ways one might infer).[/QUOTE]

First: Options menu. Check the bloody options menu before making posts like these.

Second: You think the [I]English[/I] battle banter is bad...

Since I got a great computer a while ago, I finally got around to playing Zelda Twilight Princess on Dolphin. Game looks great.
15Z0S.jpg

zgi93.jpg

rx1mX.jpg

uohER.jpg

I took way more pictures so the rest are in a gallery.
http://imgur.com/a/yfT0g#17

Utako

Banned
Just go to Options, its the very first one to boot. Just change voices from English To Japanese.

That's - special. Anyway, what you are looking for is an 'undub'. Don't know if one exists for Xenoblade, but it's likely.

edit: Ha, I am stupid.

First: Options menu. Check the bloody options menu before making posts like these.

Second: You think the English battle banter is bad...

This.
Xenoblade has the luxury of having both English and Japanese dubs on disc.

Actually, as has been stated, he's looking for the 'option menu'.

Has anyone actually tried changing Xenoblade's voices in Dolphin? Do you all think I'm some sort of idiot? That I wouldn't check the options at all, after clearly stating that I had tried exhaustively to work this out already? Heads up, I noted that for a reason!

The game completely freaks out when you change the voices to Japanese. Not only do voices not play at all, everything gets surreal.

Enemies walking on ceilings. An enormous Bunniv standing motionless with its back to me where a boss was about to appear. I don't hate the Bri'ish voice acting quite enough to go through the entire game that way (plus, I believe it crashed at cutscenes).

If anyone experiences issues and/or knows of a workaround, please do post it here!

jediyoshi

Has anyone actually tried changing Xenoblade's voices in Dolphin? Do you all think I'm some sort of idiot? That I wouldn't check the options at all, after clearly stating that I had tried exhaustively to work this out already? Heads up, I noted that for a reason!
Those aren't mutually exclusive scenarios. Otherwise yes, it works fine. Something is either wrong with the dump of your game or a combination of cheats and settings.

Rufus

The game completely freaks out when you change the voices to Japanese. Not only do voices not play at all, everything gets surreal.

Enemies walking on ceilings. An enormous Bunniv standing motionless with its back to me where a boss was about to appear. I don't hate the Bri'ish voice acting quite enough to go through the entire game that way (plus, I believe it crashed at cutscenes).

If anyone experiences issues and/or knows of a workaround, please do post it here!
Try starting a new game, with Japanese voices already on (i.e. don't load a save that was in English). If it still throws up errors (they sound hilarious, make some screenshots) it's either bugged or the dump is corrupted.

Utako

Banned
It's good to know that it works for other people. Usually when I end up with a bad rip, it either doesn't complete the ripping or doesn't run on Dolphin, but I'll give it another go.

Thank you!

Haunted

Man, Twilight Princess has not aged well at all.

And it isn't really helped by the added resolution of an emulator because the polycount and textures just don't hold up. Models still look ok, but stylised games are clearly better off here. Wind Waker showed that, and I'm sure Skyward Sword will stand the test of time as well.

Luigiv

Hey, it's not our fault you posed your question wrong. We answered your question exactly as you asked it.

Anyway, even if you do fix the glitch, I doubt switching to Japanese voices will fix your problem.
The Japanese voices are even worse in battle.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man, Twilight Princess has not aged well at all.

And it isn't really helped by the added resolution of an emulator because the polycount and textures just don't hold up. Models still look ok, but stylised games are clearly better off here. Wind Waker showed that, and I'm sure Skyward Sword will stand the test of time as well.

Those are bad screenshots.

z31qui.jpg

z4ppol.jpg

z2iro0.jpg

z1ejul.jpg

z37jts.jpg

z18erv.jpg

z21cws.jpg

z3tc0b.jpg

z9ye4u.jpg

z42km9.jpg

z496e0.jpg

z5o66l.jpg

z6u508.jpg

z16swhn.jpg

z18n35c.jpg

z24v740.jpg

These are good screenshots. TP looks amazing and in Dolphin I easily prefer it to SS. The architecture and character design in TP are the best in the series.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Those are bad screenshots.

These are good screenshots. TP looks amazing and in Dolphin I easily prefer it to SS. The architecture and character design in TP are the best in the series.
The resolution of these screens is much lower, though.
Not that it matters much, as you can see plenty of terrible textures in TP even on a Wii/GCN.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The resolution of these screens is much lower, though.
Not that it matters much, as you can see plenty of terrible textures in TP even on a Wii/GCN.

I'm sure they'd be fine at higher reses as well.

You can see terrible textures in SS too. WW is probably the only one exempt from that, but it has to deal with low poly stuff (the "forest" on Outset Island being a carboard box.)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yeah, SS has plenty of low res textures as well. They're a bit less noticeable because of the artstyle, though.

Theonik

It looked really bad artistically, anyway.
Yeah, some of the textures were pretty bad. Though I'm not sure if it was that much worse than the muddy vanilla TP ones. They could have probably tweaked them and they would have been a good alternative.

Will someone please give me the link to the page with the HD Wind Waker pic of Link hanging over the boat to pull up a treasure at night? I just searched and searched this thread, but did not see that pic.

Hellix

So, I decided to try Dolphin 3.0-377, and I noticed how much more stable it is at higher internal resolutions than r7719 (the version I upgraded from). Yet, I notice it seems to crash randomly couple hours into the game or even a couple minutes into the game. I know I never had that problem with r7719, so I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with 3.0 being more crash-prone than other versions.

And for a more specific question, does anyone have any recommended settings for Resident Evil 1 for the music to not get cut off or distorted? The voices are fine in the game, but it is the background music that is barely existent. Overall, the game runs great except for a few audio hiccup.

Is there a more recent tutorial like the one in the OP. Kinda confused at the moment trying to figure out what's what when they've redone the GUI.

And for a more specific question, does anyone have any recommended settings for Resident Evil 1 for the music to not get cut off or distorted? The voices are fine in the game, but it is the background music that is barely existent. Overall, the game runs great except for a few audio hiccup.

I've found that a lot of games have that same problem with background music and audio channels becoming too loud or too soft intermittently. The driver doesn't seem to matter all that much either, though Directsound has a lot of issues anyway.

The only guaranteed fixes I've found involve dumping the raw audio and using LLE.

Is there a more recent tutorial like the one in the OP. Kinda confused at the moment trying to figure out what's what when they've redone the GUI.

What specifically are you having trouble with? I setup the latest version a few weeks ago, so maybe I can help.

Hey, I know this has probably been asked a million times but what are the ideal settings for Skyward Sword? I just got the Limited edition today (for my birthday) and I want the best settings possible. I loaded it up just before with my current settings and it seemed to be working fairly well, but I noticed a weird texture flicker at the title screen (top of screen)... Thanks.

I have 7719m build.

Haunted

I'd love to know what makes you think that the high res textures clash with the original artstyle. The idea that anyone can think the first screenshot looks better is so crazy it makes my head hurt.
7sfWn.jpg

Ywg9r.jpg
The only thing I like more in the first screen is the thick grass, which is subjective. The reworked wall and ground textures are objectively better.

Svafnir

Agreed the grass is subjective, I personally like the thin grass style.

Anyways, all dolphin has done for me... is want the wii u even more. God damn do I ever want some HD Zelda/Mario action

jediyoshi

The only thing I like more in the first screen is the thick grass, which is subjective. The reworked wall and ground textures are objectively better.
They're objectively a higher resolution, but 'better' is a qualitative term that still wouldn't apply. I think the juxtaposition between the realism the textures are trying to get across with the cartoony nature of the geometry that makes up the world is too much (eg, the sign posts/fence poles). It's like an odd step up from those high res Minecraft texture packs

IQauk.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'd love to know what makes you think that the high res textures clash with the original artstyle. The idea that anyone can think the first screenshot looks better is so crazy it makes my head hurt.
7sfWn.jpg

Ywg9r.jpg
Inconsistent artstyle. It's not a matter of individual textures looking better or worse, but of how they all mesh, together with the rest of the visuals.
Anyway, it looks like the texture pack I had in mind was a different one: http://zeldatphd.weebly.com/index.html

HCC4j.jpg

(just check the door and the wooden structure around it, a lot sharper but objectively worse looking artistically)

Still, even in the screenshot you posted the textures, while looking better on their own, don't really mesh well with the artstyle used for Link or the sign. Twilight Princess, as a whole, is quite stylized and it's what actually makes some of its character designs so grotesque.

So I just got everything going, barely.

First tried Starfox Assault using default settings as in OP, didn't even start. Only black screen.

Then tried F-Zero GX. I used a lot of different settings that other people have recommended. Got it working, some slowdowns and not really constant 60fps, but it was better than nothing, till it crashed after two laps on Mute City.

Is it because these games are PAL or is there something else here?

My rig:
AMD Phenom II 965 Processor 3.40 GHZ
4gb RAM
Geforce GTX 460

jediyoshi

So I just got everything going, barely.

First tried Starfox Assault using default settings as in OP, didn't even start. Only black screen.

Then tried F-Zero GX. I used a lot of different settings that other people have recommended. Got it working, some slowdowns and not really constant 60fps, but it was better than nothing, till it crashed after two laps on Mute City.

Is it because these games are PAL or is there something else here?
F-Zero is just a finnicky game, no real concrete way to get it running 100%. Starfox Assault should just work at the least using default settings. You should only really bother with the specifics of a settings guide if you aren't able to get it up and running normally.

IIRC you need to do something to get Star Fox Assault's first boss fight to work correctly, but other than that you shouldn't have any problems booting it. I was able to play through the first chapter on Dolphin and trudged my way through the first on-foot mission, but then they wanted me to play another on-foot mission so I was like "fuck this" and haven't played it since. It's a shame because the flying mission I played looked gorgeous in Dolphin and played great.

You guys reckon that BlackBeetleKing's pics are touched up? I mean, he sure loves to come in, post a bunch of pics that look way too good without a word at all.

Top Bottom