• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huawei tries to make a laptop: Huawei MateBook X

Coreda

The Xiaomi Mi looks a lot nicer for an Apple 'inspired' device

X1lFG3i.jpg

The thin bezels on the Huawei tho

Nesotenso

Huawei has so more market penetration in Europe because it give incentives to carriers buying their telecomm. stuff, to carry their phones. Their strategy is to become a high end brand like Apple or Samsung.

Company just copies everyone else

That's how a lot of famous companies started. Nikon and Canon used to make cheap knockoffs of German cameras and now they are at the top of the camera world.

Lately, a lot of stuff I been buying from China has blown me away in terms of quality. They have the technical know how since they manufacture everything for the western market. Even something as simple as knockoff action figures are indistinguishable for the real thing (See NECA figures on ebay).

Also Apple needs more competition, and if American companies aren't willing to step up their game, then let others do it.

MilkBeard

That brand name just sounds so horrible, you'd think they'd adjust it to fit the US market.

It's a global brand. Perhaps Americans should learn how to pronounce foreign words properly.

--

As for the computer, it looks decent enough. We bought one of their phones recently and are pretty happy with it for the price we paid. I think they could make a few more laptop variants, I would like to see them get into other markets.

Wah Way. how hard is it to say? anyone for a glass of diet racism?

It is like how I have to change my fucking name on a resume just so some fuckers will not throw it out because the name is not white enough.

Laieon

This looks sexy. I've always like the look of Macbooks, just not the OS. Depending on how pricey these are I may look into them more.

rrs

It doesn't at all feel necessary to me.
I'd agree with you, owning a thinkpad twist, one of the early convertible ultrabooks. I never really used the touch screen outside of using it in a non-laptop forum. However that's just my use case and others may use the touch screen as a laptop all the time.

reKon

Banned
It doesn't at all feel necessary to me.

It's more useful on chromebooks I think. If Google able to get Android apps fully optimized on Intel processors, the chromebook becomes a god-tier multimedia device. I've been playing Realm Defense on my phone and that's a game that would be so nice to play on a 10+ inch. It has cloud saving implemented, which is a great and more future games from the big mobile developers have been adding this feature.

Infinite

I'd agree with you, owning a thinkpad twist, one of the early convertible ultrabooks. I never really used the touch screen outside of using it in a non-laptop forum. However that's just my use case and others may use the touch screen as a laptop all the time.

Yes of course I'm just baffled this would be the thing that makes or breaks a purchase for someone.

sant

I'm pretty sure you buy chinese made electronics all the time.
Or do you mean produced and designed by a chinese company?

idk why you'd just shut them down like that because they are chinese or anything :S.
I have a chinese drawing tablet w/ a core m-5y10c and i love the thing to death (it has its issues, sure, but nothing morbid). The chinese tablet/ laptop market has been getting crazy interesting and pretty good in recent years.

I'm definitely more interested in the matebook E (price is gonna be a deciding factor for me) more than the X or D, but all of the devices they announced are pretty nice from what i've seen.
Damn I can't even shake my head fast enough...

Actually the whole thread with these posts is enough for me.

Huawei is the same company that hacked Nortel, one of the great Canadian technology companies and stole all of their secrets. Now they don't exist anymore, 94,500 people lost their jobs and billions in market value (people's pension plans, mutual funds) were wiped out. I would be willing to bet that they were aided by the Communist party.

Every Chinese company is stealing our secrets and technology and not allowing us to compete fairly like we let them do in our markets.

Buying electronics designed and made by Chinese companies is equivalent to treason and I am disgusted by all of you.

I have the Mate 9 Pro and it is without a shadow of a doubt the best smartphone I've had ( including Galaxy S8 and iPhone 7). The battery life on this thing is amazing. I have high hopes for MateBook X.

Yeah I have a P8 and would argue its the best phone ive owned.

Fancolors

Huawei is the same company that hacked Nortel, one of the great Canadian technology companies and stole all of their secrets. Now they don't exist anymore, 94,500 people lost their jobs and billions in market value (people's pension plans, mutual funds) were wiped out. I would be willing to bet that they were aided by the Communist party.

Every Chinese company is stealing our secrets and technology and not allowing us to compete fairly like we let them do in our markets.

Buying electronics designed and made by Chinese companies is equivalent to treason and I am disgusted by all of you.

Do you have receipts? I'm genuinely curious. I found this article about Nortel's cyber security and Chinese hackers, but it doesn't say whether Huawei is directly linked to the attacks.

Guess I'll buy two then.

Oh no not communists!

You're going to post that as proof and tell people who buy their products they're committing treason when there's this line in it:

Shields admits he has no proof Huawei was behind the hacking of Nortel. He says there were system infiltrations coming from around the world, but any time information was downloaded, the hack came from China.

At one point in the article Shields actually invokes the logic of "I have no proof, but they did X. HOW CONVENIENT!"

sant

You're going to post that as proof and tell people who buy their products they're committing treason when there's this line in it:

At one point in the article Shields actually invokes the logic of "I have no proof, but they did X. HOW CONVENIENT!"

You are willing to give the Chinese the benefit of the doubt? They are racing to compete and eventually displace us in every field. Remember when the Chinese hacked the US office of personnel? Or stole terabytes of documents relating the F-35 program? They then produced the J-30 which looks like a cheap knock off.

sant

You just equated buying Huawei products to treason. I don't think you should be throwing any shade.

The Canadian economy is in the toilet, Chinese millionaires are buying up all our real estate to the point where it is completely unaffordable to locals. If you think the Chinese are our friend then you are in for a rude awakening when their actions start to affect you directly.

btrboyev

People like you are why the West is rotting from the inside out. You don't even care about the well being of our own people. I'd rather spend my money to keep Canadians employed and producing world class goods than the Chinese.

You do understand that China makes almost every piece of electronics you use?

sant

You do understand that China makes almost every piece of electronics you use?
Westerners still design and do the rest of the work. I understand the realities of globalization. The company that my Dad works for outsourced their manufacturing. They then started shipping directly from the factory to cut costs. Now that the Chinese have their customers lists, they started selling the same stuff out of the back of the factory to the same customers.

btrboyev

Westerners still design and do the rest of the work. I understand the realities of globalization. The company that my Dad works for outsourced their manufacturing. They then started shipping directly from the factory to cut costs. Now that the Chinese have their customers lists, they started selling the same stuff out of the back of the factory to the same customers.

I don't get your argument though. Is China not allowed to compete on a global level with their own products?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

I don't have much interest in Huawei products because I don't particularily trust the Chinese government from slipping spyware in their stuff, but you cannot seriously be blaming Nortel's failure on Huawei. They were a product of gross mismanagement and the bursting of the tech bubble.

sant

I don't get your argument though. Is China not allowed to compete on a global level with their own products?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be. They should not be allowed when they: 1) copy and steal our technology, then they cut their margins to 0 to force everyone else out of business
2) the communist party does not create an even playing field for our companies to operate, unlike the open door policy in the West.

How is any of this fair? Are you okay with the Chinese taking advantage of us?

Only idiots are trying to save business fields despite all economic reasoning.

You can't compete in manufactoring with China or other Asian countries and nothing will stop that.

sant

Okay Donald.

Yeah okay, attack me on the point that a lot of his supporters agreed with and were personally affected by. I'm not a Trump supporter, but I was glad he was speaking up about it while the rest of the corporate elite were profiting at the expense of regular people for decades. Too bad he never followed through on any of his China rhetoric.

sant

Only idiots are trying to save business fields despite all economic reasoning.

You can't compete in manufactoring with China or other Asian countries and nothing will stop that.

Where did I say manufacturing was the problem? I have said the problem is a rival country stealing our technology, collaborating closely with the communist party, and using predatory practices to destroy western businesses.

Futureman

Wah Way. how hard is it to say? anyone for a glass of diet racism?

It is like how I have to change my fucking name on a resume just so some fuckers will not throw it out because the name is not white enough.

diet racism because people in the West wouldn't know how to pronounce Huawei? or am I not following your comment? haha that's quite the stretch.

Horp

Bought a high end huawei phone last year for android dev. It is unbelievably bad in every way. Absolutely horrible phone in all aspects imaginable. I dont even want to touch that shite.

Top Bottom