• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American McGee: Not impressed by PS4; Simcity gamers need to chill out

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't see why console companies even try anymore. IOS is the future, they should just cut out now with what they've made.
Because there's still money to be made in the home console space. It's a completely different experience from iOS. People didn't stop going to the theater when VHS came out.

If Spicy Horse is focusing on iOS then they won't benefit much from the PS4, if at all. It's no surprise to see them so lukewarm on the console.

Piracy is still trotted out as the boogeyman, but the landscape is rapidly changing. The problem in the future is going to be getting people to play the game period.

I don't get this praise for the occulus rift, most people can't even be bothered to put on a pair of 3d glasses. It will be a niche, as it has always been.

I might be more interested in his PlayStation 4 statement if he weren't being an apologist for the bad business practices of EA and Blizzard.

The "it is justified because piracy!" is a non-argument.

Also, nobody threw molten cheese fries in the face of EA or Blizzard and the product that customers were served was by no means a slightly imperfect margarita.

Alx

I don't get this praise for the occulus rift, most people can't even be bothered to put on a pair of 3d glasses. It will be a niche, as it has always been.

It probably will, but the whole niche is included in the NeoGaf crowd, so that's why you see a positive feedback. If you show a picture of someone wearing an Oculus Rift to "regular" people out there, many will laugh in your face.

KKRT00

It probably will, but the whole niche is included in the NeoGaf crowd, so that's why you see a positive feedback. If you show a picture of someone wearing an Oculus Rift to "regular" people out there, many will laugh in your face.

And then they'll go home and play dance central or just dance ...

Duster

The restaurant analogy is ridiculous, by (British) law a resteraunt has to provide their service with reasonable care and skill, within a reasonable time and at a reasonable cost.

If I don't think they've provided that I don't throw fries in the waiters face I speak to whoever is in charge and we can negotiate some kind of understanding which most places will be happy to do, usually a heavy discount, free meals etc.
What a restaurant manager won't do is make me pay in advance to protect against people doing a runner, claim undercooked meat is part of their vision, block my complaints, mislead me in their advertising or force me to accept a free pudding I don't even want.
If we can't come to an agreement I have every right not to pay anything and they in turn can take me to court if I'm out of line.

There's no way I can realistically do any of that with EA.

Of course that's for a service, if games are classed as goods they have to be a satisfactory quality, as described, fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time. Once again Sim City arguably falls down on at least two of those points.

KKRT00

No wonder developers or publishers do not take internet boards seriously. So many stupid posts here, its ridiculous.

smr00

Banned
Not impressed with PS4? Funny, nobody has been impressed with his games for years.

Come back when you release something interesting.

Not impressed with PS4? Funny, nobody has been impressed with his games for years.

Come back when you release something interesting.

I bought Alice but haven't installed it yet...I played bits of his last gen GTA knock off game. It was a set in the future with robots, I think it was called Scrapcity. Didn't like it too much but the art/atmosphere was pretty cool!

"Do they think all the screaming and gnashing of teeth actually helped resolve those issues more quickly?"

Well... yes. I think it was the only reason EA might have considered there was even a problem worth fixing to begin with.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
McGee needs to go pepper some snouts and get me Alice 3

Fucking EA Partners

>_<!

Soodanim

Gold Member
The existence of sports games makes two of his points laughable. In the UK FIFA reigns supreme, and the same probably applies to American football and other sports' games, and you won't get the same experience on an iPad. Secondly, EA have the rights to the biggest sports games, so it's not like they're ever going to suffer from not putting stupid DRM in their games.

As long as competitive online games (however casual they may be) draw in the masses, we'll never see consoles struggle against mobile.

Orayn

The existence of sports games makes two of his points laughable. In the UK FIFA reigns supreme, and the same probably applies to American football and other sports' games, and you won't get the same experience on an iPad. Secondly, EA have the rights to the biggest sports games, so it's not like they're ever going to suffer from not putting stupid DRM in their games.

As long as competitive online games (however casual they may be) draw in the masses, we'll never see consoles struggle against mobile.

We'll see consoles struggle against mobile when developers insist on unreasonably huge teams, unreasonably huge budgets, and make projects that will start hemorrhaging money when they miss the unreasonably huge sales target and don't sell enough unreasonably priced DLC. We're not there yet, but it'll happen eventually if publishers don't change their ways. "Peak console games," if you will. (Akin to peak oil:)

Alx

No one will watch movies in the cinema now that TELEVISION is here!

Well to be fair, theaters have been fighting television and losing ground for some time ; most of the innovations in cinemas were introduced to keep an exclusivity compared to TV, but TV always catch up with it. Widescreen, "technicolor", surround sound, high definition, 3D...

GraveRobberX

Not until we have more control innovations.

Hair Controller?

Tug the hair left/right/up/down to move Alice

Twist for knife stab

Split hair and twirl like a jump rope for some pepper action

Clump hair and jerk back n' forth for Tea Pot Cannon

Twist into braids to dodge

Genius, I tells ya'!

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I don't understand this need to reinvent the wheel.

This, thank you!

Wii comes out, no 3rd party support. Move and kinect come out developers hate it. PC has not evolved in controller input for years. When game journals ask devs what do they want from next-gen " WE WANT POWA AND LOTS OF IT".

First party manufactures can never win with pc developers. MS/ Sony could have added oculus rift to each box and you would still have pc devs bitch about "not enough".

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Hair Controller?

Twist for knife stab

Genius, I tells ya'!

Consult Willow Smith, she knows all about whipping dat hair

GraveRobberX

Consult Willow Smith, she knows all about whipping dat hair

Ummm....

U3n3BQhm.jpg

I think her hair physics are broken

Fucking AMD and TressFX

Piracy is going to make EA or Activision extinct? First, what planet does this guy live on, and second, how is that a bad thing exactly?
With the way EA has been treating their customers the past few years, they kind of deserve it. But I guess that's akin to "throwing molten cheese on a waiter's face".

This guy has some interesting things to say on the topic.

So does this guy.

Gaming is literally the only hobby where companies will tell you to calm down after releasing a broken product.

Car companies don't plan for brake failures. Apple didn't plan for the iPhone 4 reception problems. What they do is apologize, offer a fix, and maybe do a recall/refund if the product is beyond salvaging.

What they don't do is lie to their customers and tell them it's a feature (like the original faulty PSP buttons or Sim City's "server side calculations" nonsense), and then tell them to kick rocks when they ask for their money back.

Seeing as how McGee's games are published by EA, I can't expect any kind of impartial discourse on the matter from him or people like him.

Jackpot

Banned
Guy with track record of terrible games and recently released a mediocre game for EA defends EA and comments on cutting-edge game design.

fritolay

Well I could agree with some of the same things in theory but the facts or thoughts to backup why he feels that way make him seen like an idiot. Chill out? GTFO

The thing is this: There are so many different types of media for customers now that they expect good/great service. If they are big fans at least a functioning product. We have so many different types of media companies going for customers that you can't be lazy and put out crap like maybe some companies used to. You pay 60 dollars and can't play the game. You pay 3 dollars for a game you can play anywhere on your phone including the shitter. You want people to chill out? Sorry welcome to the new mobile play anytime anywhere crowd that wants a price cheaper than ever.

Dragon

Banned
PS4 will be 'meh' for anyone but gaming enthusiasts. But it looks like Sony is ok with that.

I'm not sure where you drew that conclusion, based on their PS4 presentation? That was targeted at developers, press and gaming enthusiasts. So yeah it totally makes sense. That doesn't mean they're the only people Sony is targeting. No one wants two consoles dead in the water, with WiiU already struggling mightily.

i agree with this guy. what the fuck are Sony, MS and Nintendo doing? consoles are dead, stop production, join forces and get your staff onto making a new version of Bubble Wrap Simulator:

http://www.liked.com/ios/bubble-wrap-free/

this's the future, boys.

I've spent more time playing Bubble Wrap Simulator than SimCity - American McGee must be right!

Hair Controller?

Twist for knife stab

Genius, I tells ya'!

You put more thought into this than American McGee ever has.

Jay Sosa

What are your thoughts on what Sony has shown with PS4?

I was hoping for innovation in control input. Didn&#8217;t see anything meaningful, so &#8220;meh.&#8221; It&#8217;s nice that they&#8217;re moving towards what looks like more developer-friendly hardware and indie friendly distribution. Remains to be seen if the appearance matches reality. Overall, I think this generation of consoles will struggle painfully against the momentum of mobile/online games we&#8217;re seeing globally.

I expected exactly that bs when I read the title.

The way to go is to satisfy the millions of people that are just like me and my friends, that DON'T want an innovative controller input, especially when they turn out to be like Move and Kinect (or the Wimote). IF they come up with something new they have to make sure it isn't just a stupid gimmick that annoys most gamers and makes games less enjoyable (I don't want to make stupid gestures to open a fucking door). I totally expect the PS4 to bring SONY back on the right track after the disastrous PS3.

PS4 will be 'meh' for anyone but gaming enthusiasts. But it looks like Sony is ok with that.

Those are the people who bought the millions of PS1 and 2s. Most people I know that own a Wii bought it cause it was the thing to have, played WiiSports for a couple of hours and never bothered with it again. It was the Snakeboard of consoles.

In a thread full of ad hominem and hyperbole, this was probably still the weirdest post. Care to explain why there is no piracy issue?

Steam has pretty much made piracy a non issue and any company forcing draconian DRM to circumvent said non issue needs to be ignored.

Want people to buy your games? Offer it at an attractive price with attractive features. Don't try to squeeze out more sales through botched DRM

Piracy will always exist, best way to deal with it is make it a non issue like steam does. EA still doesn't get it.

barugon

EA didn't rise to the top of the industry because we yelled at them, they did it because they made and published quality games for years. Instead of quality, we now see lies, game-breaking DRM, at-launch DLC, and plenty of other shady, underhanded, and greedy moves.

So shut the fuck up, Alice.

Perkel

Banned
I'm just saying I don't see console sales even being a fraction of what they were this generation.

The masses already have their dvd/blu-ray/HD/Netflix/Call of Duty box. None of the innovations in these new consoles can come even close to what has been put on the last box.

Too bad. If we count Wii as this gen whole gen is almost 300mln consoles more than last gen and gaming market is growing despite what people say about mobile gaming

Top Bottom