• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American McGee: Not impressed by PS4; Simcity gamers need to chill out

Why is American McGee complaining about lack of innovation with the controls when a bunch of new control options were introduced this gen and he didn't make a game that used any of them?
I was going to ask: Has he actually made any games for the Wii, Kinect, Move, EyeToy, SingStar, Wii U or mobile/touchscreens? :/

njean777

I'm just saying I don't see console sales even being a fraction of what they were this generation.

The masses already have their dvd/blu-ray/HD/Netflix/Call of Duty box. None of the innovations in these new consoles can come even close to what has been put on the last box.

Why does it have to innovate instead of refining what is already here? New graphics/more power was enough for nes-snes-n64-GC generations, why will it all of a sudden not work now? You are forgetting about the new software and other little things that all can add up to a great user experience which is always more important then fads/gimmicks in the long run. I am not saying that the new consoles will outsell the predecessors, but it is time for new consoles as this gen has gone on way to long and we are starting to see the console games play horrendously compared to pc games today.

noobasuar

Banned
Why does it have to innovate instead of refining what is already here? New graphics/more power was enough for nes-snes-n64-GC generations, why will it all of a sudden not work now? You are forgetting about the new software and other little things that all can add up to a great user experience which is always more important then fads/gimmicks in the long run.

Well I think it's because back then there were only a limited amount of places you could put a game out on so there were as a market for consoles. Also development costs were not as high as they are now so the systems were able to build up a library and have a good value.

I just feel that without a jump like SD>HD or some hook like that sales just won't take off, and with how development costs are studios won't make games for the platforms.

I just think this is the end.

EA botched an extremely profitable launch (highest selling sims on launch) and he is saying gamers need to "chill out?"
EA has been launching high profile, online-heavy titles like the Battlefield series for a looooong time and yet they keep botching them up. I can't think of a smooth Battlefield launch ever (over 10 years worth of them), yet every time it happens they use the same reason: "We didn't anticipate the demand..." Maxis used the same excuse too:

"What we underestimated was a huge surge in pre-orders within the last week and the power of the great word-of-mouth created by the media and our community," Bradshaw said.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/9/4081464/simcity-interview-ea-maxis-lucy-bradshaw

In this day and age they can determine pre-launch demand probably better than ever before, especially with an Origin only, PC only game like Sim City! It seems like they either have extremely poor load testing with their online games or cheap out and hope they can low-ball on the infrastructure side of things. Either way they keep screwing their launches up and keep using he same excuse, which by this time is not longer acceptable.

EA, being one of the biggest game publishers should've figured this stuff out by now and for McGee to defend them only hurts the industry and shows he's out of touch with gamers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Microsoft finally got the Xbox live loading issues resolved after years of it breaking when a new big game launched, like Halo, CoD or Gears. EA should hire some help and quit making excuses for their lack of planning and testing. Its almost laughable at this point.

I wonder how poorly the BF4 launch will go?

njean777

Well I think it's because back then there were only a limited amount of places you could put a game out on so there were as a market for consoles. Also development costs were not as high as they are now so the systems were able to build up a library and have a good value.

I just feel that without a jump like SD>HD or some hook like that sales just won't take off, and with how development costs are studios won't make games for the platforms.

I just think this is the end.

It is not the end by any means there will always be pc games and the way it is looking, mobile games. Games will always be here. Development costs have rocketed due to stupid publishers thinking that every game has to sell a bajillion copies and be the next block buster hit. They tried way to hard to become the movie industry when they seemed to forget that a movies up front cost is 10$ while games up front cost is 60$.

RibMan

I don't understand this need to reinvent the wheel.

It's not necessarily a need to reinvent the wheel. It's a need to deliver a modern input device that does not ignore the advancements that have been made in user input over the last 10 years. Blackberry is an example of a company that chose to ignore the innovations made in user input, and by the time they woke up the market said "Too late".

With that said, I believe we haven't seen everything the DS4 can do.

Dead Man

It's not necessarily a need to reinvent the wheel. It's a need to deliver a modern input device that does not ignore the advancements that have been made in user input over the last 10 years. Blackberry is an example of a company that chose to ignore the innovations made in user input, and by the time they woke up the market said "Too late".

With that said, I believe we haven't seen everything the DS4 can do.

AllI have seen in the last 10 years are changes, not improvements. Dual analogue is a good control method for using a controller, M+KB is better if you have them. I've not seen anything that is 'better' than those. Different, but not better.

Codeblue

AllI have seen in the last 10 years are changes, not improvements. Dual analogue is a good control method for using a controller, M+KB is better if you have them. I've not seen anything that is 'better' than those. Different, but not better.

I rather people try than not, otherwise we'd still be using SNES pads.

RibMan

Different can be a good thing if done right. One of the primary reasons the Kinect was such a disappointment was that it was different done wrong.

This is also why I'm looking forward to the Kinect 2, because if Microsoft addresses the problems with the Kinect 1 then they're going to have a very 'magical' device on their hands. Of course, it remains to be seen if the gaming audience will embrace the Kinect 2 after being burned by the Kinect 1, but history would suggest that 'magical' devices tend to do very well.

Dead Man

I rather people try than not, otherwise we'd still be using SNES pads.
Yeah, absolutely, and I really enjoy some of the different methods. I just think that expecting a better system every time 10 years is not really reasonable.
Different can be a good thing if done right. One of the primary reasons the Kinect was such a disappointment was that it was different done wrong.

This is also why I'm looking forward to the Kinect 2, because if Microsoft addresses the problems with the Kinect 1 then they're going to have a very 'magical' device on their hands. Of course, it remains to be seen if the gaming audience will embrace the Kinect 2 after being burned by the Kinect 1, but history would suggest that 'magical' devices tend to do very well.

Absolutely. Different is good too, but expecting improvements just because time has passed is not really fair on the designers I think.

don't expect me to help your Alice 3 kickstarter now you EAss-kissing fuck

At least release another Spicey Horse art book please :[

Thank god this guy is of zero relevance to anything gaming related.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. Not sure why Forbes is interviewing a game developer who hasn't made a hit game in what, 13 years?

So the PS4 doesn't impress him, but this does?

comspicyhorsecf-11401109-1.jpg

Usobuko

Banned
I think the progresses PC made over the years put a damper on the hype and 'wow' factor of new consoles. It has less to do with the sales relation between PC/consoles but more to do with the average consumers no longer thought fondly of consoles being the hottest product in town.

Flatline

Banned
So wait. First they say they're disappointed by PS4's control method and then at the same paragraph they're bragging about mobile games that have one of the shittiest control methods known to man?

Replicant

So wait. First they say they're disappointed by PS4's control method and then at the same paragraph they're bragging about mobile games that have one of the shittiest control methods known to man?

Not to mention becoming EA's defense force in regards to SimCity's flopping saga. NHFTS

dark_chris

Gold Member
You probably still shouldn't throw cheese fries into your waiter's face.

Fuck that, I paid $60 for that so I'm entitled to have the best stuff and well prepared for it. Those fries better have been ready! Why am I entitled? Because I paid $60 of my hard earned money for these fries and I expect it to be prepared. Especially since there are no refunds for that!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You probably still shouldn't throw cheese fries into your waiter's face.

No, but you'd probably yell at them.

Which is a closer analogue to what happened on the internet than a physical attack with fries.

Triple U

Banned
I don't see why console companies even try anymore. IOS is the future, they should just cut out now with what they've made.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Seems like a reasonable stance on online gaming, but it's safe to say I strongly disagree with everything else he had to say. It gets old hearing people say mobile is the one future because they have an agenda to say such things.

Flatline

Banned
THis is clearly the reason we got crap like speakers, touchpads and homing beacons stuffed into the Dualshock 4 (along with last gen's sixaxis).

I disagree, the touchpad could prove very useful but I still don't get how they'll use the speaker. Why a speaker instead of a mic, did the speaker do anything useful on Wii?

UrbanRats

So when you're EA and you're faced with a fiasco like the Sim City one, one important thing to do not piss off your customers, would be to.. not lie out of your ass about it.

Gabe Newell said "you can't lie to the Internet" and it's pretty much true, especially when exposing the bullshit is this easy.

Cramoss

No they didn't. If it truly did, we'd have waggle controls as standard. It was a fad and it has died off.

You can't really say it didn't work for the Wii. Sure, it's not a standard (even though the rumors of Durango seem to indicate it'll have the kinect incorporated into the system) but it made motion control popular and everyone tried to imitate it by making their own peripherals and games dedicated to them. S

Flatline

Banned
You can't really say it didn't work for the Wii. It made motion control popular and everyone tried to imitate it by making their own peripherals and games dedicated to them.

It became really popular and then it started going down fast because people got bored with it which is the definition of a fad.

Alx

I don't understand this need to reinvent the wheel.

Creating new features isn't reinventing the wheel, it's creating new alternatives instead of sticking to a single technology just because we're familiar with it. We invented the wheel, but we also invented caterpillars, skis, hovercrafts, magnetic rails, robotic legs... which all serve a purpose, without replacing the wheel.

raindoc

hat being said, developers and publishers face extinction if they can’t solve the piracy issue while at the same time addressing the demands gamers make regarding connected and accessible games (I see these two things going together). Being in China all I see are companies who have solved these issues and customers who are happy with the results.

there's probably more to it, but this gave me a good laugh.

unbias

That being said, developers and publishers face extinction if they can’t solve the piracy issue

Piracy is not proof of forgone growth, this is the equivalent to the logic behind copyright math. The %'s of actaul loss is probably near the equivalent of music/movies, since the emergence of Napster.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why is American McGee complaining about lack of innovation with the controls when a bunch of new control options were introduced this gen and he didn't make a game that used any of them?

This is what confuses me too. Kojima kind of said the same thing in his Edge interview and neither of them have made games that utilize those features and they seem to ignore that the touchpad will have a mild impact on traditional controls and the new camera will expand motion control features.

I disagree, the touchpad could prove very useful but I still don't get how they'll use the speaker. Why a speaker instead of a mic, did the speaker do anything useful on Wii?

The touchpad will be nice to have, for sure, but I have a feeling just like the sixaxis, by the end of the generation no one will be using it, and only a handful of devs will have used it well.

Seems more like they added it just to have an easy answer to the question: "So what's new?"

"It's supercharged"
"8GB GDDR5"
"This touchpad"
"It's a nextgen iteration of the old console with appropriate leap in power. STFU"

American McGee you big ol' fuck head. It's not the same as harassing a waiter. And just because they didn't want SimCity to be an unmitigated disaster doesn't mean that they shouldn't be taken to task, especially when there were extremely viable ways to avoid it, such as freeing up server activity by allowing those who didn't want to use the servers to NOT use them. That's all there is to it - this problem simply would not have existed if they didn't waste the energy to make people play online, when it only makes them mad for being forced to do something, and everyone else mad because they are losing service.

Astery

Being in China all I see are companies who have solved these issues and customers who are happy with the results. Western developers have some obstacles to overcome before they get there.

f2p mmo + pay 2 win ain't solving issues.

Yeah, and now every smartphone "gamer" is seeking for the perfect bluetooth gamepad for control its games. So...what?. Are we going backwards or, a gamepad is the perfect solution for gaming out of PC since the beginning?.

It seems to me these all american "designers" are getting us ready for Kinect, and they will praise it like there is no tomorrow.

Top Bottom