• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2017: Don't talk about the #FifthJob

Kyuur

Took me a dozen tries to defeat the crystals, finally won and my laptop crashes at the end of the cutscene afterwards. FML

Edit: IT AUTOSAVED. Thank you Steam version.

Edit2:
YmxrQQu.jpg
wcWGLu5.jpg
yX17VWC.jpg
IXeXfEA.jpg
JvUl9fA.jpg
QirwZtj.jpg
8cDt2EV.jpg
5BVuVpK.jpg

Done Earth to #fifthjob (aka most of World 2)! It's strange, compared to other runs I'm doing a lot less cycling of jobs around the characters this go around. Mostly because I've wanted to master jobs to enhance Freelancer ASAP, but also because there haven't been any skill combos so far that have really struck me as "I want this". Everyone running barehanded except for Freelancer; it works wonders with Berserker and Dancer. Consistently 3k+ damage Sword Dances and crazy basic hits with Berserker (higher than any weapon I tested). Freelancer was stuck on Healing Staff duty most of the time but switched into bows/etc and rods to help dish out occasionally. I have to say that its kind of annoying to also have to fool around with equipping shields when swapping between 1H and 2H.

Fifth job replacing Berserker is Red Mage, finally some magic in here and a class I've never been given! Good thing I bothered to pick up earring in the tower. Have no magic, so time to go on a shopping spree before finishing up World 2.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thieves burn through so many potions. I think I used close around 90 between Forza and Garula.

But now Thief gets assistance, from Time Mage. Very good.

I suppose with a heal staff user I don't need to farm high potions, but I'll probably go ahead and grab some anyway.

My theif was pretty much dead weight in the final boss fight. Damage was pitifully low and couldn't really do much else. Probably should've played around with the jobs a bit so that Faris (who was my thief) could've learned drink or mix from the chemist job so she could at least be useful in healing. Hell, even pharmacology probably would've been a good idea

Kyuur

Lmao I thought for sure Red Mage would at least be able to use -aga spells but nope. Are they useless as casters without having another Mage job?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lmao I thought for sure Red Mage would at least be able to use -aga spells but nope. Are they useless as casters without having another Mage job?

Yeah. They are okay for the status spells but for the most part they just aren't good after W1.

It's a shame, Red would be a much better job if it had access to level 4 black/white, or 1-3 time.

Just finished world 2 with my Chemist/Chemist/Berserker/Ninja party. I flew through the world as I was so over levelled from quadzerkering the sandworm. My Fifth job was ninja which replaced my dancer. First time for a ninja so I am excited to try it out. I'm probably not going to spend a whole lot of time in World 3 as I don't think there is anything really useful for my party. l

gaiages

Banned
I was having trouble against Garula because his counters would outpace me right before I could kill him (Blue Mages aren't as squishy as the others, but still they aren't tanks), then I learned I could just find a Frost Rod and break it on him to end that fight really fast, lol.

So I'm going to do that today. can't wait to get my Black Mage for... more squishiness. Oh boy >.> Random runs sure are interesting lol, but at least my damage dealing will be on point.

Beastmaster question: if I Catch a monster, amd then switch jobs, will I still retain the monster when I switch that character back to Beastmaster? Or is it lost?

Steam version, in case that matters

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was having trouble against Garula because his counters would outpace me right before I could kill him (Blue Mages aren't as squishy as the others, but still they aren't tanks), then I learned I could just find a Frost Rod and break it on him to end that fight really fast, lol.

So I'm going to do that today. can't wait to get my Black Mage for... more squishiness. Oh boy >.> Random runs sure are interesting lol, but at least my damage dealing will be on point.

You could have just turned Garula into a frog. He restores himself but wastes a turn doing so.

Blue Mage is ridiculous and possibly more broken than Chemist.

Beastmaster question: if I Catch a monster, amd then switch jobs, will I still retain the monster when I switch that character back to Beastmaster? Or is it lost?

Steam version, in case that matters

Yes. And you can see what the monster is in the status screen.

agradine

Yes. And you can see what the monster is in the status screen.

Unless it's hidden somewhere, the Mobile/Steam version doesn't display which monster you have caught. Not sure why they removed it, but then, this version really hates Beastmasters in general, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

gaiages

Banned
You could have just turned Garula into a frog. He restores himself but wastes a turn doing so.

Blue Mage is ridiculous and possibly more broken than Chemist.

I saw that strategy too and learned Pond's Song (or whatever it's called) for it. But I mean, Frost Rod! If by some miracle Garula lives it'll be a frog immediately :p

I still need to get used to the fact that Blue Mage is like, actually good, I never really use that class type in any Job system RPGs >.>

Sailed through the Sandworm fight with ease (thanks Dhorme Chimera!), only to fall to a Bio spamming Bio Soldier in a random battle shortly thereafter. Most embarassing game over yet - and a reminder to Tent after boss fights

on my second run, doing chaos this time. First two jobs are beastmaster (who I've never really used) and chemist, so looks like I'm stuck with freelancer until fire crystal

I saw that strategy too and learned Pond's Song (or whatever it's called) for it. But I mean, Frost Rod! If by some miracle Garula lives it'll be a frog immediately :p

I still need to get used to the fact that Blue Mage is like, actually good, I never really use that class type in any Job system RPGs >.>

Traditionally Blue Magic/Enemy Skills are either amazingly good, or mediocre. FF5 and 7 are examples of amazingly good.

Ourobolus

Banned
Huh. I think I can actually do Fork Tower with 3 Zerkers and a Beastmaster...
Though I don't have to. Literally nothing I need in the dungeons after that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Huh. I think I can actually do Fork Tower with 3 Zerkers and a Beastmaster...
Though I don't have to. Literally nothing I need in the dungeons after that.

You can. A bit harder on mobile but still doable.

There's actually some good Zerker equipment behind the waterfall.

Finally finished my run. My whole party was level 44 but 39 of those were required for me to take down the Sandworm. Shinryu and Neo Exdeath were both very easy and posed no real challenge. I wasn't sure how to beat Omega so I though maybe the Beserker's Axes would be the best bet, but they rarely landed a hit on Omega. Eventually I ended up using Split Shell and having the ninja throw Fuma Shurikens which was hitting for almost 8000. Once i figured that out it wasn't to hard to take him down.

Catch and release four sand bears? Not sure if that alone would be enough, should do a lot of damage though.

currently trying to catch 3 sand bears to go with the prototype I managed to capture. 4 sand bears would be nowhere near enough to beat the cannon, especially since it has two launchers as well

Fuck. Nope. Casts return.

Soul Cannon technically has 22,500 HP but it's programmed to blow up once it is below 10,000 HP.

oh, must've forgotten about that. Still struggling though. Even with mega flare and 3 bears, I still need like 8000 more damage and my output is awful with normal attacks

Ourobolus

Banned
oh, must've forgotten about that. Still struggling though. Even with mega flare and 3 bears, I still need like 8000 more damage and my output is awful with normal attacks
Did you get the Blitz Whip from the cave of Jachol? It's not much but it may help. Grinding for Angel Rings is a last resort

Ourobolus

Banned
I have it
4 Sand Bears should do about 8800 damage. That leaves 3700 damage left, plus the launchers, which have...uh...around 1000 HP I think. Something like that. So you need to be able to do 5700 damage in about 10 rounds or so.

The main problem is the Launchers inflict Old, which Angel Rings can prevent. If you can buy at least one you can keep retrying until they both target the one guy that is immune.

Other than that, don't be afraid to use a few Elixirs. Moldwynd enemies in the Wind Shrine will drop them occasionally.

4 Sand Bears should do about 8800 damage. That leaves 3700 damage left, plus the launchers, which have...uh...around 1000 HP I think. Something like that. So you need to be able to do 5700 damage in about 10 rounds or so.

The main problem is the Launchers inflict Old, which Angel Rings can prevent. If you can buy at least one you can keep retrying until they both target the one guy that is immune.

Other than that, don't be afraid to use a few Elixirs. Moldwynd enemies in the Wind Shrine will drop them occasionally.

each sand bear only does about 1100 damage to the cannon itself

??? Really? Weird. I have a 3xberserker+Beastmaster team and I distinctly remember it causing like 2200 damage.

Wonder if they are affected by Old. Or maybe it is a level thing

I don't think so. Maybe it's the a glitch that was fixed in the mobile version? Regardless I managed to beat it, just had to blow all my elixirs and get a bit lucky with the launchers double targeting Faris before I could mega flare them with prototype out of the way

also got a lucky miss on one soul cannon that allowed me to save a party member

Ourobolus

Banned
I don't think so. Maybe it's the a glitch that was fixed in the mobile version? Regardless I managed to beat it, just had to blow all my elixirs and get a bit lucky with the launchers double targeting Faris before I could mega flare them with prototype out of the way
Weird. Anyway you missed my edit - I was lv 20

EDIT: A side note: how fucking long does it take to make Omniscient waste 30,000 MP??? Sigh.

Ourobolus

Banned
Mage Masher reflected off your character and then hit Omni with a better weapon? Slow going but it works. You can also do the set it and forget it leave it on overnight.
Mage Masher reflect works, but my guy is not fast enough to hit him again before it wears off. Gonna just drain his MP and see if that works.

atbigelow

I've never got very far into a Fiesta run (and still aren't), but felt pretty good rolling Black Mage.

But then I got Berserker for my water job. :/ Just a bit difficult to use at the moment without a full team backing him up. Gonna keep going.

Speaking of omniscient, what fuckwad decided tomake it so chemist mixes and geomancer gaia set off return instead of counting as magic? I would've been out of luck in my first run if not for realizing I could abuse spell sword silence to get around it

Ourobolus

Banned
Speaking of omniscient, what fuckwad decided tomake it so chemist mixes and geomancer gaia set off return instead of counting as magic? I would've been out of luck in my first run if not for realizing I could abuse spell sword silence to get around it
Yeah it's pretty wonky as to what classifies as a "spell." Definitely causes some runs to just suck (i.e. Waste MP)

Man God

Non-Canon Member

...Square?

Code:
NAME: Omniscient
LEVEL: 53                              EXP: 0
HP: 16999                              GIL: 0
MP: 30000                              SPEED: 26
ATTACK: 100                            MAGIC POWER: 20
ATT. MULT: 20                          MAGIC MULT: 8
EVADE%: 0                              MAGIC EVADE%: 0
DEFENSE: 0                             MAGIC DEFENSE: 8
ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY: None
STATUS IMMUNITY: Dead, Stone, Toad, Mini, Poison, Sleep, Charm
ELEMENTAL ABSORB: None
CAN'T EVADE: None
ELEMENTAL WEAKNESS: Air
CREATURE TYPE: Heavy
IMMUNITY: Control, Catch
INITIAL STATUS: Armor, Shell, Regen
SPECIALTY: Critical
SPECIALTY EFFECT: None
SPELLS: Bolt3, Fire3, Ice 3, Reset, Flare, Cure, Fire, Slow, Scan, Ice, Regen, 
Mute, Venom, Haste, Size, Float, Cure2, Toad, Demi, Charm, Fire2, Stop, Bolt2, 
Ice 2, Qrter, Wall, Drain, Bio
CONTROL: Can't
BLUE MAGIC: None
CATCH: Can't
DROP (ALWAYS): Nothing                 STEAL (COMMON): Potion
DROP (RARE): Nothing                   STEAL (RARE): Corna Jar
AI SCRIPT:
Condition:HP < 4000{
     {Bolt3,Fire3,Ice 3}
     }
{Cure,Fire,Slow}
{Scan,Ice,Regen}
{Mute,Venom,Haste}
{Size,Float,Nothing}
{Cure2,Toad,Demi}
{Charm,Fire2,Stop}
{Bolt2,Ice 2,Qrter}
{Wall,Drain,Bio}
React:Death{
     Flare
     }
[b]React:Physical (exception:Steal) {
     Reset
     }[/b]

Code:
React:Physical:  Will react to the following commands: Item, Fight, Kick, 
BuildUp, Steal, Capture, DrgnSwd, Jump, Throw, SwdSlap, Gil Toss, Animals, 
Aim, X-Fight, Conjure, Observe, Analyze, Release, Combine, Terrain and Dance.
Will React to each hand if 2-handed is used.  Will react twice to DrgnSwd.
Note that the attacker must successfully hit the monster in order for it to 
execute its React: Script (e.g. an unsuccessful Steal attempt or Stealing when 
the monster has nothing left to Steal will not provoke React: Physical).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The real problem isn't wasting your own mp, it's getting him to run out if you have no magic users

Yep, he'll only cast low MP spells in his first phase.

{Cure,Fire,Slow}
{Scan,Ice,Regen}
{Mute,Venom,Haste}
{Size,Float,Nothing}
{Cure2,Toad,Demi}
{Charm,Fire2,Stop}
{Bolt2,Ice 2,Qrter}
{Wall,Drain,Bio}

Yep, he'll only cast low MP spells in his first phase.

{Cure,Fire,Slow}
{Scan,Ice,Regen}
{Mute,Venom,Haste}
{Size,Float,Nothing}
{Cure2,Toad,Demi}
{Charm,Fire2,Stop}
{Bolt2,Ice 2,Qrter}
{Wall,Drain,Bio}

It doesn't help that at 30000 mp, he was clearly designed with the intention of not running out of mp

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It doesn't help that at 30000 mp, he was clearly designed with the intention of not running out of mp

I did it my first three years...without an emulator. I had really bad parties for fighting him.

I've got two bad parties for fighting him now but I've got some good tricks.

I've heard tell you can ether him on a turn he's silenced and get him down to 9999 MP, which might be fun.

Top Bottom