• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2017: Don't talk about the #FifthJob

I did it my first three years...without an emulator. I had really bad parties for fighting him.

I've got two bad parties for fighting him now but I've got some good tricks.

I've heard tell you can ether him on a turn he's silenced and get him down to 9999 MP, which might be fun.

do you mean Dark Ether? And yeah, silence is an alternative, though unless you have spell blade I wouldn't call it reliable since mage masher is pretty iffy in that regard

Man God

Non-Canon Member
do you mean Dark Ether? And yeah, silence is an alternative, though unless you have spell blade I wouldn't call it reliable since mage masher is pretty iffy in that regard

The story goes you can use Ether to overflow his MP to 9999. He can silence himself if you're soloing. It's rare.

Also should work on Neo Exdeath's first form.

The story goes you can use Ether to overflow his MP to 9999. He can silence himself if you're soloing. It's rare.

Also should work on Neo Exdeath's first form.

huh, weird.

On another note, Old is such a bullshit status condition. Aside from having no way to cure besides Esuna, it's effect is super debilitating and even if you cure it it doesn't actually undo the effect, it just stops it from getting worse

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty much the reason it doesn't show up a lot and that only really tough bosses tend to use it.

It's so nasty on Battle Speed 1 Active, my preferred way to play. Even if you're psychic and have the ability to use Esuna on the right character they'll still lose 10% of their levels. Wait a whole turn to get around to them again and they're probably down to level 1.

Pretty much the reason it doesn't show up a lot and that only really tough bosses tend to use it.

It's so nasty on Battle Speed 1 Active, my preferred way to play. Even if you're psychic and have the ability to use Esuna on the right character they'll still lose 10% of their levels. Wait a whole turn to get around to them again and they're probably down to level 1.

I mean, this doesn't make it any less stupid tbh

Yohane

Got Mime for my 4th job (pure chaos run).

Should I keep 1 job twice or one of my party member must go freelancer until I get the Mime?

Fire Job get! Went to Karnak and decided to grind out 26000 gil from the wolves for hammer profits. Loaded up on Mythril equipment for my Knights and new clothes and Frost Rods for my Time Mages. The enemies in the Fire Ship were no problem, as my Knights already learned Two-Handed, so they went down in one shot. Liquid Flame was also pretty easy, smacking it a few times and breaking a Frost Rod in its tornado form. Also managed to grab the unique treasures in Karnak Castle without breaking a sweat. Gigas took two shots, but everyone else took one (Sorcerers were the bigger threat, since they could confuse my Knights). Iron Claw died without ever using Death Claw, thanks in part to Haste from my Time Mages.

And now, Fire Crystal shards in hand, Gilgabot granted my third job... Monk! I've had Monk in two previous years, but never with this job combination. I'm guessing that Monk will go pretty well with Knight (Equip Armor/Guard on Monk, HP+30%/Focus on Knight, Barehanded on Time Mage). Plus, I think Monk was buffed slightly in the Mobile version, as !Kick now apparently ignores Row, so it should be handy against Purobolos and such.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got Mime for my 4th job (pure chaos run).

Should I keep 1 job twice or one of my party member must go freelancer until I get the Mime?

Unless you are playing a Natural run, you double up on one of the other jobs until you unlock Mime. Outside Natural, the only time Freelancer is ever used is if there is no other job to use instead.

And my fourth job is apparently yet another fucking beastmaster. I really liked the idea of chaos, but I wish I could do it without having to worry about duplicates. 3 beastmasters is a bit much honestly, and makes me want to abandon the run. I know I can reroll, but I don't really want to put in the money

Kyuur

One of my pals bought FFV on Steam and is doing his first run with Fiesta. Always super fun to watch!

And now, Fire Crystal shards in hand, Gilgabot granted my third job... Monk! I've had Monk in two previous years, but never with this job combination. I'm guessing that Monk will go pretty well with Knight (Equip Armor/Guard on Monk, HP+30%/Focus on Knight, Barehanded on Time Mage). Plus, I think Monk was buffed slightly in the Mobile version, as !Kick now apparently ignores Row, so it should be handy against Purobolos and such.

Not sure Focus has any purpose with Knight. 2-Hand does double the damage with no wait time (although Focus does bypass some stuff like running via Chicken Knife).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't PureChaos not have duplicates, but has Freelancer and Mime as options?

I think some of the specifics for Chaos and PureChaos were changed at some point so I'm not sure what all the differences are anymore.

Doesn't PureChaos not have duplicates, but has Freelancer and Mime as options?

I think some of the specifics for Chaos and PureChaos were changed at some point so I'm not sure what all the differences are anymore.

It wasn't clear to me. I thought I saw something like that as well, but when I looked again at starting this run it made no mention of no duplicates and I'd rather avoid mime and freelancer tbh

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
#NoDupe and #DupeRisk would be great modifiers for the future.

Those would be pretty specific modifiers, since NoDupe would only apply to Chaos and DupeRisk would only apply to Random and PureChaos (as far as I understand at least). Still could be neat though.

I'd still like to see a #Fresh modifier, to reduce (but not eliminate) the likelihood of getting a job you had in a previous run.

Ourobolus

Banned
Those would be pretty specific modifiers, since NoDupe would only apply to Chaos and DupeRisk would only apply to Random and PureChaos (as far as I understand at least). Still could be neat though.

I'd still like to see a #Fresh modifier, to reduce (but not eliminate) the likelihood of getting a job you had in a previous run.

Yeah, even after all these years there are still like 6 jobs i've never rolled

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
And my fourth job is apparently yet another fucking beastmaster. I really liked the idea of chaos, but I wish I could do it without having to worry about duplicates. 3 beastmasters is a bit much honestly, and makes me want to abandon the run. I know I can reroll, but I don't really want to put in the money

Anyone willing to spot a GAFer a reroll?

Zebei

First time playing FFV

Have Black Mage, Red Mage, and Bard so far.

Bard seems like it isn't going to be too great, especially because I have terrible luck with status effects.

Enjoying the game a lot so far though. Playing with a gimmick like having 4 black mages for a while keeps things interesting.

gaiages

Banned
^ At the very least you'll be able to Dualcast Black Magic.

Just finished the Fire Ship, got Ninja for a team of Blue Mage, Black Mage, and Ninja thus far. It's a pretty interesting party, it'll be nice to have a physical party member :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Time Mage cheeses a lot. Graviga and a comet or two easily deals with the crystals in W2, at least once you get Graviga to hit. Still only took one Elixir to restore MP for the whole fight. !Image helped too.

Stole four reflect rings from Reflect Mages. Mute makes them stand there and look silly while the Thief digs through their (seemingly very deep) pockets.

First time playing FFV

Have Black Mage, Red Mage, and Bard so far.

Bard seems like it isn't going to be too great, especially because I have terrible luck with status effects.

Enjoying the game a lot so far though. Playing with a gimmick like having 4 black mages for a while keeps things interesting.

Bard is amazing, one of the best support jobs in the game and in a few situations it is an offensive monster too. Make sure you get all the songs, they cost no MP and have fantastic effects. Play all the pianos too, two of the best songs are locked behind playing them all.

I think a lot of the songs are missable if you go the next world without getting them, so make sure you don't skip any.

Zebei

Anytime someone complains about getting Bard, I immediately think "you've never truly dove into this game, have you?"
Hey man i've never even PLAYED this game, let alone dove into it :p

I'll probably cheat and look up all the song/piano locations so I don't miss anything. This is the 3rd time i've been reminded not to miss anything.

It's also the second time someone has mentioned dualcasting Black Magic. Shame about the inevitable grinding, but maybe i'll give it a shot.

fester

Banned
I'm getting ready to dive in this weekend and curious - how does the RPGe fan translation stack up to the translation done for the GBA game? I have a repro cart for my SNES that I got several years ago because I couldn't stand the crappy music from the GBA, but now I'm wondering if I'm missing out on a better experience story-wise by not going with the professionally translated version. Any opinions?

Time Mage cheeses a lot. Graviga and a comet or two easily deals with the crystals in W2, at least once you get Graviga to hit. Still only took one Elixir to restore MP for the whole fight. !Image helped too.

Stole four reflect rings from Reflect Mages. Mute makes them stand there and look silly while the Thief digs through their (seemingly very deep) pockets.

Bard is amazing, one of the best support jobs in the game and in a few situations it is an offensive monster too. Make sure you get all the songs, they cost no MP and have fantastic effects. Play all the pianos too, two of the best songs are locked behind playing them all.

I think a lot of the songs are missable if you go the next world without getting them, so make sure you don't skip any.

Are the crystals normally hard? My first run this year had them as a joke, though I feel like maybe I just got lucky since I don't feel like they used their elemental attacks much

zashga

Third job is in. Now I'm at thief, red mage, and bard. Super stoked about bard; probably my favorite fire crystal job. Red mage, on the other hand, is painfully mediocre later on. Really wish they could at least cast shell or esuna. Guess I'll be stuck dual casting fira on Neo Exdeath.

Hoping my last job is dancer. I think that's the only earth crystal job I've never had in the fiesta. It'd be nice to be able to use some of these ribbons for once.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Are the crystals normally hard? My first run this year had them as a joke, though I feel like maybe I just got lucky since I don't feel like they used their elemental attacks much

It entirely depends on what jobs you have and how well prepared you are. For a decent number of job combinations they can be a difficult fight. World 2 doesn't actually have that much content or many bosses, but the crystals are one of probably three that can be stumbling blocks in a run (those being bridge Gilgamesh, Crystals, and of course Exdeath).

It entirely depends on what jobs you have and how well prepared you are. For a decent number of job combinations they can be a difficult fight. World 2 doesn't actually have that much content or many bosses, but the crystals are one of probably three that can be stumbling blocks in a run (those being bridge Gilgamesh, Crystals, and of course Exdeath).

I feel like I didn't really even do much special for the crystals though, which is why I'm confused

SkyOdin

The crystals only use their elemental attacks when below half health, at which point they only use their full-party elemental attacks. If your team has really good damage output or strong full-party healing, the fight isn't very tough. If you lack either of those, the relentless magic attacks can easily overwhelm your team. At that point, trickery is necessary.

The crystals only use their elemental attacks when below half health, at which point they only use their full-party elemental attacks. If your team has really good damage output or strong full-party healing, the fight isn't very tough. If you lack either of those, the relentless magic attacks can easily overwhelm your team. At that point, trickery is necessary.

Huh, I don't really feel like I had either (since I didn't really understand mix well at that point). Maybe I got lucky, or maybe it's because I was heavily focusing down one at a time

Estoc

For a monk, is it better to have Kaiser Knuckles(the accessory that massively improve barehanded damage) or Hermes Sandals? I have no access to Hastega, but I do have Swift song.

gaiages

Banned
I'm getting ready to dive in this weekend and curious - how does the RPGe fan translation stack up to the translation done for the GBA game? I have a repro cart for my SNES that I got several years ago because I couldn't stand the crappy music from the GBA, but now I'm wondering if I'm missing out on a better experience story-wise by not going with the professionally translated version. Any opinions?

To be blunt, FFV doesn't really have a standout plot, you're not missing too much even with whatever's considered the best translation. I'd still recommend the Steam/Mobile version over SF version just for convenience, though. Maybe the jobs tweaks as well? That's not for me to answer though, haven't delved into the changes yet lol

My very first FJF run they were a nightmare because of my party setup. I imagine with my setup this year they'll be a joke.

Mazre

Super messy exdeath kill. Somehow ended up with reflect on my Ninja and Knight (Dragon Defense mix maybe?) and ended up hasting the middle part of exdeath. This wasn't a problem until it was the last part left alive and I killed the front right before it's turn. My Knight held on with 200 HP after surviving 2 almagests and a flurry of other attacks.

ngff02

I got Thief/Time Mage/Ranger so far. Just finished getting the fire crystal jobs.

This is my first fiesta and I'm having a lot of fun. I regret not trying it way years ago.

Kyuur

Feel like I've hit a brick wall with World 2 Exdeath (Monk, Dancer, Freelancer, Red Mage). I might've been okay if Cura was available to buy in W2 but no such luck. I don't like grinding to beat bosses but might need to here, his damage is just too high with no way to mitigate. :(

Neku89

Feel like I've hit a brick wall with World 2 Exdeath (Monk, Dancer, Freelancer, Red Mage). I might've been okay if Cura was available to buy in W2 but no such luck. I don't like grinding to beat bosses but might need to here, his damage is just too high with no way to mitigate. :(

Have you gotten some Reflect Rings at the Barrier Tower? I'm finding it strange that you absolutely need Cura - Hi-Potions are good enough and you can use them with any job.

If you have any number of Reflect Rings, you just need to deal 16k damage and you've automatically won (Exdeath will only cast -aga spells and do physical attacks after 16k damage). If you have at least one Reflect Ring, go farm three or four Light Staves in Ghido's Cave (they are dropped by Metamorphs while they're not morphed) and break them with your Reflect-ed Red Mage until you see Exdeath cast an -aga spell; then you can stop and focus on keeping the party healthy after physical attacks.

Kyuur

Nope, no reflect rings. Thanks for the tip on the light staves though, wasn't aware of it!

Edit: And cura would be useful to heal up the entire party. If I spam hi-potions I'm dealing no damage and making no progress.
Edit2: Protect would also be nice but also not available world 2. Damn you #fifthjob.
Edit3: I managed to get him to 16k using super safe strats! All back row, berserked Freelancer w/ Hayate Bow and Monk (using Power Staff on Red Mage), spamming hipots. Unfortunately got down to only Krile and doomed, res'd kept getting hit. Next time!

Exhumed

Second run has been going great. Blue mage is just so good.

Not sure if Omega is going to be doable with ninja/blue mage/dancer/geomancer. Any thing I might be missing? Throwing a fuma shurikan only does 1200 ish and he counters hard.

Shinryu I plan on berserk/image cheesing him. Should be ok.

walei

I hit a snag with world 2 Exdeath...

My natural team of Monk/MysticKnight/Ranger/Dancer can't survive his dual magic/physical attack phase.

Exhumed

I hit a snag with world 2 Exdeath...

My natural team of Monk/MysticKnight/Ranger/Dancer can't survive his dual magic/physical attack phase.

I had a similar team. Make sure your ranger has the Hayate Bow equipped. Somehow make sure he gets zombied by Exdeath. Put your Mystic Knight in back row with a flame shield, main gauche, and elven mantle. Drain blade or hi potions if you need to heal up. The zombie ranger's Hayate Bow rapid shot effect should only hit Exdeath (mine did about 1600/volley). The only thing that might kill you is his blizzaga but if you have the rest of the team zombied they should take most of the hits. Hope that helps.

walei

I had a similar team. Make sure your ranger has the Hayate Bow equipped. Somehow make sure he gets zombied by Exdeath. Put your Mystic Knight in back row with a flame shield, main gauche, and elven mantle. Drain blade or hi potions if you need to heal up. The zombie ranger's Hayate Bow rapid shot effect should only hit Exdeath (mine did about 1600/volley). The only thing that might kill you is his blizzaga but if you have the rest of the team zombied they should take most of the hits. Hope that helps.

Cool I didn't know Hayate only hits Exdeath in zombie mode I'll give that a try later tonight!

Kyuur

tprFSwO.jpg

Exdeath fucking down. After a couple of attempts getting him just barely to 2nd stage, I thought I would make it a bit easier on myself and level everyone until Level 3 Flare was not an issue as well as get a bit of extra HP and what not. While I did this, I happened to have Faris master Dancer and Bartz master Monk. Slapped Freelancer onto Bartz, HP+30% and Counter w/ Hayate Bow -- 4K Rapid Fire procs berserked and nearly 2k HP helped immensely. I was in the second stage before I knew it and having two people over 1k HP helped immensely as I could actually tank a bit inbetween hi-potions.

World 3 here I come!

walei

Cool I didn't know Hayate only hits Exdeath in zombie mode I'll give that a try later tonight!

So... the zombie / Hayate bow combo didn't work for me. Probably a version issue (I'm playing on GBA) and Rapid Fire never proc'd. But equipping the Mystic Knight with Main Gauche did help because Lenna was manage to evade most of Exdeath's attack. She became the healer/reviver as my monk and ranger did their best to chip away on Exdeath's health. I started with 99 Phoenix Downs and 99 Hi-Potions and ended the fight in the teens.

On to world 3!

Top Bottom