• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX Release Date: July 11, 2010

Kad5

The scenarios in Dragon Quest usually are pretty simplistic in a good way based on what I can tell.

Hopefully they can still retain that simplistic charm despite the hiring of new scenario writers.

Loto

I guess I just didn't remember the push for DQ8. I don't remember the television commercials =(

I don't know about the demo, yeah it was a great move, but I don't understand people paying 50$ for a demo.

Aeana

Oh, I see it as a potentially very good thing, because DQ8 and 9 have had me feeling like Horii spent all of his really good ideas in DQ6 and 7. He even reused some of them in 8 and 9.

Aeana

Loto said:
I guess I just didn't remember the push for DQ8. I don't remember the television commercials =(

I don't know about the demo, yeah it was a great move, but I don't understand people paying 50$ for a demo.
People paid more than that to get the FF13 demo with the Advent Children Bluray.

Jeels

Loto said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QZwyxyxvts I liked it.

Nah, they paid 50 dollars for the best JRPG of that year, and for fans obviously the generation. Sure they might have snapped because of the demo, but that's not what they were paying for. Also, don't underestimate Final Fantasy fans willing to buy entire games just to play demos. Aeana mentioned FFXIII, but I remember people buying Brave Fencer Musashi for the FFVIII demo. There's a long history of this.

Rpgmonkey

Aeana said:
http://www.square-enix.com/jp/recruit/career/job/game/dq_index.html

It seems that SE is hiring scenario writers for DQ. Horii has had the same scenario team for a really long time... this is pretty weird.

Speaking of the creation of DQ games, did we ever learn what part Square Enix had in DQIX's development?

I remember people noticing SE suddenly being credited as the developer along with Level 5 when the game was nearing its release or something like that.

Yottamole

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
Speaking of the creation of DQ games, did we ever learn what part Square Enix had in DQIX's development?

I remember people noticing SE suddenly being credited as the developer along with Level 5 when the game was nearing its release or something like that.
I remember reading somewhere that Enix, even as a publishing company, had always kept a small team to help Armor Project and whichever developer they chose to make the games. That team was like Enix's only internal development studio. After the merger, I guess that this team became SE's product development division 9. But they were never recognized as a developer along with Chunsoft/Heartbeat/Level-5/etc., so I'm also curious to why they suddenly appear as such in the credits.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jeels said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QZwyxyxvts I liked it.

Nah, they paid 50 dollars for the best JRPG of that year, and for fans obviously the generation. Sure they might have snapped because of the demo, but that's not what they were paying for. Also, don't underestimate Final Fantasy fans willing to buy entire games just to play demos. Aeana mentioned FFXIII, but I remember people buying Brave Fencer Musashi for the FFVIII demo. There's a long history of this.

I wonder how many people bought DQ8 for the FF12 demo and ended up liking DQ8 a helluvalot more?

Kad5 said:
The scenarios in Dragon Quest usually are pretty simplistic in a good way based on what I can tell.

Hopefully they can still retain that simplistic charm despite the hiring of new scenario writers.

the scenarios of dragon quest VII were anything but simplistic. I have never seen a game so heavy on mythology,even for the standards of the series. It was like a mini-collecion of fairy tales. The best dragon quest and one of best rpg of all times.

unfortunately, dragon quest VIII was very bad gameplay and story-wise.I hope that dragon quest 9 will be a return to form.

bluemax

Banned
Loto said:

I remember the DQVIII commercial coming on Comedy Central and my stoner roommate at the time going, "What is this? Some kind of Dragon Ball Shit?" or something to that effect.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just saw the Seth Green TV spot and it was...interesting. Like, not bad, I probably wouldn't call it good either, it just was.
*shrug*

ronito

so if I'm not wrong July 11th is a Sunday? Am I missing something or is this the first Sunday release for a game in a while? Why do it on a sunday?

bon

ronito said:
so if I'm not wrong July 11th is a Sunday? Am I missing something or is this the first Sunday release for a game in a while? Why do it on a sunday?
Nintendo always releases their big games on a Sunday.

ronito said:
"Big" Nintendo published games, like Mario or Pokemon or games that release alongside hardware (like Warioware DIY) get Sunday releases.

Recently Nintendo has been doing it with a lot of stuff for no rhyme or reason. In fact a Sunday game came out this week.

Top Bottom