• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX Release Date: July 11, 2010

Laekon

So would this be a good intro into the series or should I go back a little farther? DQ 4 and 8 seem easy to find.

Ricker

Laekon said:
So would this be a good intro into the series or should I go back a little farther? DQ 4 and 8 seem easy to find.

I enjoyed 8,although I never finished it,so yeah that one is good but if you want the handheld feel,obviously,go with one of the DS remakes.

Looking forward to it...I`m thinking of grabbing the XXL even for this game.

Aeana

Laekon said:
Just about any game is a good intro to the series, really. I'd say go with whichever seems most interesting, and/or cheapest/most convenient to get. But at least if you get 9, you'll be able to play it with everyone else when it comes out!

ryan-ts

DQ9 will be my first DQ as well. I have no idea if I'll like the game but I want a new DS game and playing with other people seems like it could be pretty cool.

Laekon said:
Be a man and start with DW 1 NES like the rest of us.

Seriously, just start with IX when it comes out.
It's pretty good, polished and keeps the old school feeling.

Skip VII though. Worse in the series and huge disappointment after the excellent SNES VI.

ryan-ts

DeathbyVolcano said:
Eh, I don't know if IX is really the best intro game to the series or not. I'd try and find DQV for DS somewhere, that game is fantastic.

Too late, already made up my mind to get 9.

I really wish there was tunneling for the DS. I understand having a local wi-fi only multiplayer mode that is seemingly substantial in Japan where everyone has a DS. Here, however, it's going to be difficult to get some of the stuff dealing with the Inn and whatnot since I don't know a lot of people buying it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, Nintendo were cool enough to send me a new package with the poster, since the first never arrived. Obviously way too late to make the trivia contest, but they could have just not bothered. So I'm happy enough to have the poster, which is actually quite nice looking, IMHO.

Pyrokai

First, I want to say thank to Dineren for linking me to all those threads. I especially appreciated the Dragon Quest Appreciation Thread (even though the screenshots aren't there anymore :( )

Second, since I'm just now getting into Dragon Quest and the like, I haven't been paying much attention to IX until, like, two weeks ago. Therefore, I don't know much about the multiplayer. How exactly does it work? And does everyone who is playing it need a copy of the game?

Third: how can I get more friends to buy this game with me? :p

Aeana

Multiplayer requires everyone to have their own copy of the game. After that, the host starts a game from the inn, and people around the host can join in. The other people join the host's world, and they can run around and do anything that can be done in singleplayer. For battles, each player can fight separately, or they can walk up to where another player is fighting and join in. Only the host can initiate story events, though, and there are also some chests only the host can open.

At least, this is my understanding. I haven't been able to actually doit myself yet.

Pyrokai

Thanks! I'm interested in the multiplayer. It sounds like it can be either really convoluted or really awesome. How is it supposed to be?

Carlisle

theMrCravens said:
Be a man and start with DW 1 NES like the rest of us.

Seriously, just start with IX when it comes out.
It's pretty good, polished and keeps the old school feeling.

Skip VII though. Worse in the series and huge disappointment after the excellent SNES VI.
Seriously.
I'm only up to 3 so far, but it's a blast. I do think 3 is the best intro to the series so far... at least much better than 1 or 2. The first 2 are still awesome games, but very different from the rest of the series, so I don't think they serve as good intros.

john tv

I found multiplayer kinda boring, but I didn't play it all that much. What's not boring, however, is tag mode (すれちがい通信), which I spent my entire summer and fall doing last year :)

Oxx

I'd say IV would be a decent starting point.

It's a fine game in its own regard, but I imagine that had I started with V and then played IV I might not have enjoyed it quite as much.

Jeels

image344.png

:lol :lol

mello

Aeana said:
...What. The whole celebrity event thing is weird.

What is incredibly sad is that Lil Jon here has a fanbase, which will now look into this game called DQIX because he has been seen playing it. :/

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You know, I got to give it to them.
They're really trying to raise awareness for the game, which is honestly more than Square Enix seems capable of doing for the franchise.

It's sometimes bizarre. Perhaps even disturbing.
But I suppose it is something.
Wow.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
mello said:
What is incredibly sad is that Lil Jon here has a fanbase, which will now look into this game called DQIX because he has been seen playing it. :/
How is that sad?
That's awesome.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
:lol First Lil Jon likes house music and now DQ9... guess my "guilty pleasure" enjoyment of dirty south hiphop is justified.

Oh btw, you know those posters for the game Gamestop has? How would I go about procuring one of those? The people at GS say they can't save one for me when the ad campaign is over :(

Kad5

Lucky for me on the 12th im leaving for Germany then Iran so i'll probably pick this up for the long ass plane ride.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
grandjedi6 said:
Why are people surprised that Golin Harris made, well, a Golin Harris-style ad? What would you rather have? 30 seconds of a random celebrity playing the game in pure boringness?
Dammit! :lol

Loto

I like the advertising and I hope it pays off. Dragon Quest deserves it. It just feels like its a last ditch effort or something to try to get DQ popular in the west. That could be my own paranoia though.

Aeana

Kad5 said:
Aeana how does DQ IX compare to other DQ games out of curiosity?
In what ways? That's a pretty broad question. If you mean how do I like it compared to the others, well, I like it all right. It's not one of my favorites, but I also didn't finish the Japanese version due to life issues at the time. Just never got around to picking it back up.

Loto said:
I like the advertising and I hope it pays off. Dragon Quest deserves it. It just feels like its a last ditch effort or something to try to get DQ popular in the west. That could be my own paranoia though.
No, that's pretty much exactly what it is.

Kad5

So is this going to be a primarily multiplayer oriented game?

Also, I liked IV and V alot but those are the only two i've played.

I'm not sure if IX is as good as V.

Jeels

Aeana said:
DQ8 had a push called "free FF12 demo in every box."

It had stuff like Slimeknights too, a TV commercial, internet and magazine ads all over the place. (Around the same time all those good reviews were coming in too). I would say DQVIII definitely got the push it deserved, and I hope DQIX's push means good things.

Kad5

Jeels said:
It had stuff like Slimeknights too, a TV commercial, internet and magazine ads all over the place. (Around the same time all those good reviews were coming it too). I would say DQVIII definitely got the push it deserved, and I hope DQIX's push means good things.

Well since Nintendo is publishing it it seems that they could potentially give it an even bigger push than what square-enix could do.

I may be wrong however.

Top Bottom