• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX Release Date: July 11, 2010

Spwn

euro stalker said:
is the co-op any good in this game ?
worth buying it 2 times ?

My question is quite the opposite: Can I fully enjoy the game if I play it alone? I don't know anyone with a DS within a 600km range.

Spwn

Great! Luckily I got a job for summer so I'll probably pre-order the game when it's possible in Europe. The game looks charming. Phew, it'll be my sixth or seventh DS game this year if thehut gets DQV in stock.

Hobbun

Shouta said:
I'm still here too. Though my problem wasn't that it was a handheld but that there wouldn't be as much effort put into it because of the platform. That ended up being true, to me at least.

Could you please expand on that? What did you notice that didn't seem to have as much effort put into it?

Aeana

Hobbun said:
Also, is NA going to get the downloadable quests/content that Japan received?
Nothing has been stated explicitly, but I don't see why not. The quests aren't actually downloaded; they already exist on the cart and are simply unlocked.

Hobbun

Aeana said:
Nothing has been stated explicitly, but I don't see why not. The quests aren't actually downloaded; they already exist on the cart and are simply unlocked.

Oh, ok. That works too. I had heard Japan is receiving weekly downloadable quests for up to a year (I think ending on the NA release). So those are the quests that are already on the NA cart, but just need to be unlocked?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hobbun said:
Oh, ok. That works too. I had heard Japan is receiving weekly downloadable quests for up to a year (I think ending on the NA release). So those are the quests that are already on the NA cart, but just need to be unlocked?

Yep. Much like the "weekly DLC" for Professor Layton, the content's already on the cart. You were simply downloading access keys or flag modifications that enabled the content.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Aeana said:
Actually, it has been stated explicitly. We'll be received the same add-on content as Japan, supposedly on the same weekly schedule. The daily wi-fi shop will be available as well.

Sadly, I forgot to ask about the McDonald's red afro wig.

Hobbun

Mejilan said:
Yep. Much like the "weekly DLC" for Professor Layton, the content's already on the cart. You were simply downloading access keys or flag modifications that enabled the content.

Ok, thanks.

ToastyFrog said:
Actually, it has been stated explicitly. We'll be received the same add-on content as Japan, supposedly on the same weekly schedule. The daily wi-fi shop will be available as well.

Sadly, I forgot to ask about the McDonald's red afro wig.

Edit: Wait, so, we will need to download the keys to unlock the extra quests. Hoping what was meant by they were locked was they would open up at a certain point in the game.

donny2112

ToastyFrog said:
Actually, it has been stated explicitly. We'll be received the same add-on content as Japan, supposedly on the same weekly schedule.

If you don't buy the game at launch, can you unlock previous weekly quests later like in Professor Layton games?

Aeana

Hobbun said:
Edit: Wait, so, we will need to download the keys to unlock the extra quests. Hoping what was meant by they were locked was they would open up at a certain point in the game.
Yes, they're "DLC." You connect to get them unlocked each week.

Hobbun

Aeana said:
Yes, they're "DLC." You connect to get them unlocked each week.

Ok, thanks.

I was just trying to avoid having to set up my wireless account for my XL. :lol Oh well, no biggie.

Mejilan

Or you can cheat and unlock them all at once! :D
I did it for Layton, and I'll damn sure do it for DQ.

Hobbun

Mejilan said:
Or you can cheat and unlock them all at once! :D
I did it for Layton, and I'll damn sure do it for DQ.

Yes, that is what I would prefer, as well. But I don’t want to install CF.

ToastyFrog said:
What's the daily shop about?

Aeana

JoshuaJSlone said:
What's the daily shop about?
New stuff is added to an online shop every day. Various items that you can buy. Nothing exclusive as far as I can recall, but some of them are tricky to get normally, so it can be quite helpful.

donny2112

Hobbun said:
Yes, that is what I would prefer, as well. But I don’t want to install CF.
Action Replay. It just would only work on a Regular DS or a Lite.

If you miss a week, can you open it up the next time you connect, even if it is weeks later?

Mejilan

donny2112 said:
If you miss a week, can you open it up the next time you connect, even if it is weeks later?

That's how Layton worked. When you connected it would unlock the most recently available puzzle, as well as everything that came before.

Aeana

donny2112 said:
Action Replay. It just would only work on a Regular DS or a Lite.

Yes, of course.

Carlisle

Lafiel said:
This sucks, i made a challenge for myself that i'd finish DQ1-3 DQ4 5 7 8 before DQ9 released in the US. However with that release date i'm unlikely to come close to that goal.;_;

Still hyped!
I did too... still only on DQ2 :(

Shouta

Hobbun said:
Could you please expand on that? What did you notice that didn't seem to have as much effort put into it?

Didn't feel like they put as much effort into building the primary story and quest as they did in previous outings. I felt like the job system was kind of ho-hum too and very much geared toward enjoying the grind (at least early on). That's just to sum it up, there are pretty specific reasons though.

Mejilan

Nice, I'll be sure to check this out when I get home. Thanks.
On a different note... did anyone else get contacted via email by NoA's Dragon Quest Team regarding some pre-launch plans they have... planned? This would have been late last week.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hmmm, this and Midnight Blue DSi XL on same day. Hoping Nintendo does the DS price drops here in the US, but it wasn't announced with this color yet like it was in Japan/EU.

Ulairi

Banned
Mejilan said:
Nice, I'll be sure to check this out when I get home. Thanks.
On a different note... did anyone else get contacted via email by NoA's Dragon Quest Team regarding some pre-launch plans they have... planned? This would have been late last week.

I was.

Aeana

I got a poster from GolinHarris today, along with some info about a trivia contest that will be held in July. 25 people can apparently win the game and a DSi.

Aeana said:
I got a poster from GolinHarris today, along with some info about a trivia contest that will be held in July. 25 people can apparently win the game and a DSi.
That's pretty cool, I'd love to win!

Amneisac

So I liked DQVIII a lot, which of the others are super amazing must play? I'm guessing I can skip the first few, how about the DS remakes? Why is V so expensive?

Amneisac said:
So I liked DQVIII a lot, which of the others are super amazing must play? I'm guessing I can skip the first few, how about the DS remakes? Why is V so expensive?
In my opinion all of them (except 6 and 9, which I haven't played yet) are worth playing:D V is my personal favorite. V is so expensive because it is out of print.

Ulairi

Banned
Aeana said:

The first question is tomorrow. Anyone want to partner up? 25 people can win the grand prize.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Amneisac said:
IV, V, III. (SFC or GBC version).

VII is pretty awesome and my favorite DQ title (despite not finishing it), but i'm hesitant to recommend it for a number of reasons. DQIV & V are just far more accessible.

DQ 1 & 2 are worth playing for their historic value alone, they only take like 8-15 hours to finish!

Amneisac

Well, I just picked up DQ:V for the DS. I bought it off glyde.com, which I've never used before, but I got the game for $27.30 in "excellent" condition so we'll see how that goes. I'm looking forward to playing a new RPG on the ol' DS though.

botticus

Aeana said:
I don't love how the contest is organized, but I will quickly fail in any DQ trivia, so it doesn't matter much.

100 fastest people to correctly answer the first question win the shirt, then only those 100 people are eligible to win the 50 soundtracks next week, and those only those 50 are eligible for the 25 games + systems.

Though I think from the rules there are only 200 people selected - 1 in 2 chance of winning each prize. So maybe I have a chance!

Aeana

botticus said:
I don't love how the contest is organized, but I will quickly fail in any DQ trivia, so it doesn't matter much.

100 fastest people to correctly answer the first question win the shirt, then only those 100 people are eligible to win the 50 soundtracks next week, and those only those 50 are eligible for the 25 games + systems.

Though I think from the rules there are only 200 people selected - 1 in 2 chance of winning each prize. So maybe I have a chance!
I just re-read the thing and I see that now. I don't expect to be fast enough. Trivia contests in the internet age are pretty lame... anybody can Google the answer.

botticus

Aeana said:
I just re-read the thing and I see that now. I don't expect to be fast enough. Trivia contests in the internet age are pretty lame... anybody can Google the answer.
I will just have an open Google window waiting in 4 hours.

Aeana said:
Yeah, definitely not that enjoyable. Also probably makes it impossible for me to win :(

Ulairi

Banned
The first question came out. It took me about 10 minutes to reply, it's an easy question but I bet I was too late.

Top Bottom