• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX Release Date: July 11, 2010

My most anticipated 2010 game release and my most anticipated 2010 movie release in the same week, really looking forward to this. :D I might pass the time by playing through DQM:J, the only (NA) DS Dragon Quest for which I haven't done so.

Regulus Tera said:
[imghttp://www.mooglecavern.com/gaf/SuperPaperMario-MessageBoards.jpg[/img]

Treehouse > you
But then there are instances like the Hammer Bros in Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, which I didn't find humorous at all. It depends on the game. I don't know if I'd want internet jokes in DQ, but is there any reason to believe that there will be?

Carlisle

Funny. I just canceled my preorder an hour ago because GS had it for $35. When Amazon asked why I said "Found it cheaper somewhere else."

The egoist in me tells me that I single-handedly reduced the price of DQIX and improved market competition. Welp, time to cancel the GS order and save myself $1.67 in tax!

Great news. I was expecting a September release after BBS's release date was given. All of you bragging up DQIX being released on the DS in the old announcement thread better actually buy the game :p

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Can't believe it's less than 2 months away! Seems like we've been waiting forever for a US release. Hoping for this to be the GOTG (game of the generation) when I finally get around to playing it, like DQ8 was for me last gen.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Regulus Tera said:
The in-text accents were cute in the beginning, but they seriously should lay off from them.

I really loved them, but I can understand the complaints. They were, perhaps, a bit heavy-handed in DQIV. But DQV toned them down considerably and, I imagine, should have come off as quite a bit more palatable to most.

Mejilan

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Joystiq says S-E are doing the localization.

Ahh, if that's true, then I doubt they'll switch up the localization team.
Excellent.
I love Treehouse (and 8-4, since NoA tends to use them quite a bit), but Plus Alpha did a really fantastic job on the last 3 or 4 DQ localizations.

Woops, didn't mean to double-post.

Xater

Mejilan said:
I really loved them, but I can understand the complaints. They were, perhaps, a bit heavy-handed in DQIV. But DQV toned them down considerably and, I imagine, should have come off as quite a bit more palatable to most.

I wasn't even a big fan of them in DQV. I would rather have the game not do them.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
lordoftherink said:
But then there are instances like the Hammer Bros in Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, which I didn't find humorous at all. It depends on the game. I don't know if I'd want internet jokes in DQ, but is there any reason to believe that there will be?
Ugh, I remember that part. I actually felt physically embarrassed for everyone involved with that.

Salsa

Princess Skittles said:
Ugh, I remember that part. I actually felt physically embarrassed for everyone involved with that.

Yeah that pretty much sucked, but at least it kinda made sense in the context, there are worst examples.

Hobbun

It is good to hear this has finally gotten a firm release date. Although I will say I am more excited about DQ VI. I am of course going to purchase IX, but leery of the changes I have heard they have made with IX to make it more multi-player friendly and therefore parts of the game suffering because of it.

Either way, still looking forward to trying it out.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Regulus Tera said:
So, with Nintendo on board, does this mean Treehouse is doing the localisation?
Treehouse is not doing the localization, and what I've seen of the text has been consistent with the DS remakes.

botticus

Hobbun said:
It is good to hear this has finally gotten a firm release date. Although I will say I am more excited about DQ VI. I am of course going to purchase IX, but leery of the changes I have heard they have made with IX to make it more multi-player friendly and therefore parts of the game suffering because of it.

Either way, still looking forward to trying it out.
It wouldn't be so bad if it was online multiplayer friendly, but local multiplayer is pretty much worthless here.

Hobbun

botticus said:
It wouldn't be so bad if it was online multiplayer friendly, but local multiplayer is pretty much worthless here.

Wouldn’t have made a difference to me. I don’t even plan on playing multi-player. I just have heard at least the story has suffered a bit because they needed to make the ‘hero’ generic, which you lose characterization and back story. DQ V did a really great job in this.

Salsa

I wish the whole story was wireless multiplayer from the start, kinda like FF: crystal chronicles echoes of time. That would make it more fun.

Mejilan

Really? That didn't really hold DQIII back, IMHO.
Then again, that was the final arc of a trilogy, so it took it picked up quite a bit from the get-go, even before the game began.

Ha, at 8:30 CT this morning in my RSS inbox:

Kotaku
Dragon Quest IX Comes Stateside In July [Release Date]

Joystiq
Dragon Quest IX launches in North America on June 11

They've fixed it, now but I was confused and hoping Kotaku was wrong. But no, it was Joystiq. :lol

Doh! Just noticed that the 11th is a Sunday. I may have to buy this one from GameStop instead of Amazon like usual. The last new game I bought from GameStop was actually Dragon Quest 5:lol Can't wait to finally play the game that I originally bought a DS for!

Hobbun

Easystride said:
Doh! Just noticed that the 11th is a Sunday. I may have to buy this one from GameStop instead of Amazon like usual. The last new game I bought from GameStop was actually Dragon Quest 5:lol Can't wait to finally play the game that I originally bought a DS for!

I thought Nintendo only released on Sunday for first party titles/consoles? I mean product developed and published by Nintendo.

Mejilan

NoA loves releasing shit on Sundays.
Hell, if a retailer has a Nintendo release pegged for a Sunday, it's almost assuredly a legit date, and not a placeholder.

Khrno

Fantastic! Just when I was complaining that there weren't any good games to get during July until late August here in the UK.

Provider

The American boxart is almost the same as the European one

1232.jpg

LaneDS

SomeDude said:
Would DQVII look as good on DS as it did on psx if the game was remade?

I think it would look better if they took the time. I prefer the look of DS IV and V over VII, which beyond the sprite work I think is one atrocious looking game. The DS (and PS2 really) remakes took the style started by VII and made it pretty charming I think.

wrowa

Mejilan said:
Really? That didn't really hold DQIII back, IMHO.
Yep, as long as the various towns and cities have somekind of background story I can live with a generic main character without any problems. After playing the SNES remake of DQIII I realized that I still like it more than, say, DQVIII by a large margin.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Is it coincidence that DQIX's release date was revealed today because Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow came out today? :p
What. You just blew my mind. I didn't even know that it was announced for a US release.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
This sucks, i made a challenge for myself that i'd finish DQ1-3 DQ4 5 7 8 before DQ9 released in the US. However with that release date i'm unlikely to come close to that goal.;_;

Still hyped!

Top Bottom