• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX Release Date: July 11, 2010

Excellent!!! :D:D:D

I still need to finish up on DQ IV. And I still need to pick up DQ V soon.

Where on God's green earth is DQ VI Square-Enix? I'm O_O at cha!!!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Rock on! Loved the JP version, will gladly double-dip for English!

Nice EUR box too, I hope the US box is comparable...

Jeels

That'll be my July purchase.

Dragon Quest VIII was probably my second favorite game of the PS2 generation. The DS remakes were fun too, but I'm definitely ready for this!

Oxx

Regulus Tera said:
Man, it really is jarring listening to this after pumping the Symphonic Suite for weeks in my iPod.

P.S. Best SS since V's!

Good news. I loved the music in V.

Aeana

I haven't listened to the Symphonic Suite for 9 yet, but the music in 9 is fairly disappointing, if only because it sounds like a greatest hits of Sugiyama's previous works. I'm sure it was intentional, but a lot of the music uses bits and pieces of stuff from earlier DQ games, and it bothered me. Hopefully the recording quality for DQ9's Symphonic Suite isn't super terrible like 8's.

Spwn

How story driven is DQIX? I've been wanting a good jRPG to play on my NDS since Chrono Trigger and TWEWY.

I've been waiting for my order of DQV from thehut for over a month now, but I'm being optimistic that I'll get the game some day from them. Heard nothing but good about the game.

Oxx

Regulus Tera said:
If this game does well, would VI be published by Nintendo?

I seem to remember that IV, V, and VI were announced for localisation at the same time by Square Enix, but I'm sure anything could happen if IX does a lot better than the first two remakes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aeana said:
I haven't listened to the Symphonic Suite for 9 yet, but the music in 9 is fairly disappointing, if only because it sounds like a greatest hits of Sugiyama's previous works. I'm sure it was intentional, but a lot of the music uses bits and pieces of stuff from earlier DQ games, and it bothered me. Hopefully the recording quality for DQ9's Symphonic Suite isn't super terrible like 8's.

The recording was improved.

I found it took some of the cringe-worthy tunes in the OST (I'm looking at you, Sandy's Theme) and made them fun. It's kind of on the short side after DQVIII, but I thought it to be a lot catchier.

Aeana

Well, I know for sure that something about DQ6's localization is going to be different (yes, it is coming). Don't know who the publisher will end up being, though.

Spwn said:
How story driven is DQIX?
There's a central story, but the concept is still like the previous DQ.
Reach new town, fix town's problem, go to next town.

First 2/3 is mostly that, then plot twist happens and the rest of the game focuses more on the main plot. If you played previous DQ games, you'd know what I mean.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Aeana said:
Well, I know for sure that something about DQ6's localization is going to be different (yes, it is coming). Don't know who the publisher will end up being, though.

What do you mean? Or is it a secret something?

Regulus Tera said:
So, with Nintendo on board, does this mean Treehouse is doing the localisation?
Interesting point there, I'm curious to see a DQ translation from them. I wonder if they'd use the silly accents.

Spwn

theMrCravens said:
There's a central story, but the concept is still like the previous DQ.
Reach new town, fix town's problem, go to next town.

Well that sounds like just the game I was looking for. Thank you. I guess I'll buy it then.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Scythesurge said:
Interesting point there, I'm curious to see a DQ translation from them. I wonder if they'd use the silly accents.

I actually hope that Nintendo hands the localization to the same team(s) responsible for DQVIII, DQIV, and DQV.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mejilan said:
I actually hope that Nintendo hands the localization to the same team(s) responsible for DQVIII, DQIV, and DQV.

The in-text accents were cute in the beginning, but they seriously should lay off from them.

ntropy

Regulus Tera said:
It sounds better than it ever did!
it just needs a little better arranging to get rid of the big-band taste. replace the tacky, walking trombone with pizzicato double-basses. get rid of the damn cymbal crashes, save it for the cadence at the end. and for god sakes, let the melody be prominent!

wrowa

Can't wait for it, although I'm stilla bit pessimistic about the game. No, not because it is on the DS, but because I belong to the group of people who didn't like DQVIII as much as the other Dragon Quests.

selig said:
Question to those that played the JPN-version: Does the game succeed in creating an adventurous feeling, or is it your run-of-the-mill jrpg with running from cutscene to cutscene?
Have you ever played a DQ game before?

Regulus Tera said:
The in-text accents were cute in the beginning, but they seriously should lay off from them.
They only used them in DQIV, didn't they? At least they weren't in DQV, I can't speak for DQVIII since I haven't played that one in English. Though I remember that the characters spoke in some British accent, but that one was a perfect fit for the middle-aged DQ world.

Aeana said:

S-E, unless something drastic has changed recently.

Also, big big mistake if the MSRP is 40$. I'm surprised at Nintendo...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ntropy said:
it just needs a little better arranging to get rid of the big-band taste. replace the tacky, walking trombone with pizzicato double-basses. get rid of the damn cymbal crashes, save it for the cadence at the end. and for god sakes, let the melody be prominent!

Big bands are awesome.

Stop hating on big bands!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
wrowa said:
They only used them in DQIV, didn't they? At least they weren't in DQV, I can't speak for DQVIII since I haven't played that one in English. Though I remember that the characters spoke in some British accent, but that one was a perfect fit for the middle-aged DQ world.

Bianca and Sancho.

I'm not saying accents are bad (they're awesome man, I love DQVIII's localisation), but that when they are done as thick as they've been in the past it starts to become a barrier to the chocolate instead of the sweet sweet frosting that should accompany the delicacy.

Dragona Akehi said:
S-E, unless something drastic has changed recently.

Also, big big mistake if the MSRP is 40$. I'm surprised at Nintendo...

I blame Squeenix.

firex

selig said:
Ah, my last NDS-game :D (if Pokemon Black & White remains as disappointing as it is currently).

Question to those that played the JPN-version: Does the game succeed in creating an adventurous feeling, or is it your run-of-the-mill jrpg with running from cutscene to cutscene?
Do you share a name with the worst commissioner in professional sports?

john tv

Aeana said:
The Symphonic Suite for 9 is garbage. Sugiyama's lost his touch IMO. I liked a lot of the music in IX but the orchestrated versions are crap. :/

ntropy

Regulus Tera said:
Big bands are awesome.

Stop hating on big bands!
i'm not judging big bands (not my taste). i just think the sound is not what i hear when i think of DQ—a prejudice i freely admit!

my problem with big bands is that they're basically ff the whole way through :p

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
The reason why, the game has been rather poorly recieved by the DQ fanbase, is the reason I know it will probably be my favorite in the series. An almost sandboxy, RPG with a strong emphasis on sidequests and more freedom than before? DO WANT!

Cannot wait for this. This will be so good.

Salsa

yessssssss

2hxxdkx.gif

Joystiq says S-E are doing the localization.

Aeana said:
As Segata said, I didn't finish the game, but I went through some crappy personal stuff at the time which kept me from ever feeling like picking it up again. I didn't like its implementation of the job system, but otherwise, it's pretty good. I'll pick up the English version and try to go all the way this time.

Slightly OT but I hate when this happens. I've had games/movies/books ruined by association with a coinciding shitty life event. Happened a few times in recent years too, unfortunately.

turnbuckle

Awesome. 10 days before my birthday...not sure if I can wait for it to be gifted to me or if I should just buy it. I'll probably just buy it :D

Aeana

Scythesurge said:
Treehouse would be awesome, but S E does a very fine job of localizing the DQ games.
Well, SE hires a company called Plus Alpha to do them.

cw_sasuke said:
Saw the video - why would they remove the classic dq magic soundeffects ? lol
Same thing was done for DQ8.

Top Bottom