• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Ships 4 Million Copies Worldwide (At 500K/2M FY goal by March 2018)

BadWolf

That doesn’t make much sense. MT framework by the time RE6 came out was well established and had been going on for a long time. There was no coat in even making a engine for that game outside changing the lighting.

Hell half the budget for RE7 was supposedly just making the engine itself.

You should dig up that post of yours about budget misconceptions between 6 and 7.

Ahasverus

There's a RE PSN Sale and I own every single piece of RE content there is to buy.

My Vita has RE1, RE2, RE3, RE Rev 2
My PS3 has RECVX, Resident Evil Darkside, Resident Evil Umbrella
My PS4 has RE0, REmake, RE4, RE5, RE6, Rev1, Rev2, RE7

I love all of the games, with REmake,RE5, RE6, RECVX, RE7,Rev2 and RE0. Being my top favorites in that order.

And Im gonna buy RECVX port on PS4, just so I can play it again once more and platinum it.
OMG THANK YOU i'm finally playing REmake :') How do you poeple know about all these sales? They aren't promoted anywhere.

Ahasverus

That doesn't make much sense. MT framework by the time RE6 came out was well established and had been going on for a long time. There was no coat in even making a engine for that game outside changing the lighting.

Hell half the budget for RE7 was supposedly just making the engine itself.
It all depends on how Capcom does its acounting. if they charge the engine costs to the game, yeah, it probably costed a lot (probably still not 6's budget, which was allegedly ridiculous) but if they charge up the engine development costs to its own thing, the game could have ended up being with a low development budget.

Still, we're not inside of Capcom so what do we know.

Fisty

Why capcom has never really managed catering to their large fanbase of different tastes will always baffle me. Hopefully with RE7, RE2make, and whatever this third title they have in dev is. They’ll start doing that. No reason to shun horror for action and vice versa. When you have plenty of customers willing to give money for it and have a decent amount of development teams to handle the demand now that building an engine is out of the way

Yeah I completely agree, the fact they have mainline, Revelations, and ORC/UC whatever, they should be able to make every fan happy. Keep Rev action-focused, keep ORC etc multiplayer and esports (lmfao) focused, mainline horror titles, and you've got the REmakes for the people who want the classic style. They could even bring back Chronicles/Survivor style for VR titles.

Ok first person VR experiment is over. Can we get a third person RE game again please.

Also that RE4 number isn't counting digital sales I assume. It has to be way above that.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It is so amazing. Playing this in VR is what has truly completely sold me on the tech. I have never been more unnerved or engrossed before.

Oh so you already got around to it? Great to hear. Yeah RE7 in VR is truly amazing.

For those that still need to play it: do it in VR, accept no substitute.

It's a sobering reminder that people who want things like this (and I am that person) are in the minority.

Are they though? RE6 was hugely successful sales wise but RE6 sold less than RE5 and RE6 didn't seem to have a huge tail sales wise. Combine that with the fact that RE6 was so widely derided and RE5 has become an increasingly divisive game that I actually question how well a purely action focused RE8 would sell.

Obviously, there's no way to know this without an action focused RE8 coming out but I think Capcom was smart to shift gears because I think they saw a downward trajectory for action focused RE and decided to change direction before they found themselves in a Tony Hawk-like rut.

This is a really good posts that clears up some of the misconceptions of RE6 and it's budget along with it's success.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244848306&postcount=604

Took me a bit to find it lol

Cool info...

Yes.. RE6 made tons of money

But I compare it to a latest transformers movie.. They keep making money but it also furthers kill the franchise with fans. Each one proceeds to earn less money. 6 ultimately destroyed it's fan base.

But let's be real, 7 is a very short game. A lot more time was put into 6. Which also means more budget and resources. I doubt capcom will ever do anything like 6 anymore.

It is a success no matter how you spin in..

There's no way RE7 would have made the same numbers 5 or 6 made even if it was a 3RD person Call of Duty Dude game.

The RE franchise is not the same as it was before. And yes, 6 truly murder it for many fans.

I am very happy with the numbers of 7 and am sure 8 will prob do around the same. The budget for 7 and for 8 is a lot lower than 6 thanks to the RE Engine making it easier for Capcom to make their money back.

1-) Capcom didn't share development budget numbers so you can't compare between them

2-) Resident Evil 7 Head of marketing said in an interview that the marketing budget of RE7 is the same or even higher than RE6

BadWolf

Are they though? RE6 was hugely successful sales wise but RE6 sold less than RE5 and RE6 didn't seem to have a huge tail sales wise. Combine that with the fact that RE6 was so widely derided and RE5 has become an increasingly divisive game that I actually question how well a purely action focused RE8 would sell.

Cool info...

But I compare it to a latest transformers movie.. They keep making money but it also furthers kill the franchise with fans. Each one proceeds to earn less money. 6 ultimately destroyed it's fan base.

Meanwhile the RE5 and RE6 remasters sell over a million each.

Yup, totally hated by everyone. Murdered the fanbase.

Astral Dog

I say a change of pace was welcome. Too much action RE regardless of what argument in quality. At least we got a decent horror game (with a terrible action focused third part)out of this wich part of the RE fanbase will appreciate :^)

joe2187

Banned
Cool info...

But let's be real, 7 is a very short game. A lot more time was put into 6. Which also means more budget and resources. I doubt capcom will ever do anything like 6 anymore.

Just because you dont like them, doesnt mean they failed.

6 sold tons, 5 is the all time best seller. Fans still bought the game.

Jawmuncher

Cool info...

Yeah that's more agreeable (Though I still disagree about it destroying the fanbase). I like Re6 (obviously) but even i'm aware more of that sort of mess was not going to do well for the series going forward. I do think we'll see action again. But yeah never to the scale of Re6 at all.

this is the USA better version then PAL EU no?

Pal Version seems to be 50Hz unless they updated it
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373148

I don't think RE6 was a "failure" in sales but obviously Capcom thought different to make all these drastic changes, oh well we will see next game.

The shift from 6 to 7 was perfect in a lot of ways. Even capcom realized there was no real way to top RE6 in terms of scope and if anything it was sort of a closure on that trilogy of games (4-6). So the shift back to roots with RE7 was a good one (Even if I dislike the FP). Especially since it coincided with the series anniversary (or at least close enough to it). As I said above I doubt we see a action RE game with the scope of Re6 ever again. But I highly doubt Action is off the table. Especially with the recent Vendetta and what Not a Hero seems to be offering. I think capcom has finally figured out that a balance of horror/action (Whether it be in one game or making specific products that appeal to said groups) is the way to go. Helps keep the brand relevant as well as fresh. (Since the whole reason we even went action with Re4 in the first place was sales stagnation and the developers themselves getting tired of making the same style game).

Astral Dog

Yeah that's more agreeable (Though I still disagree about it destroying the fanbase). I like Re6 (obviously) but even i'm aware more of that sort of mess was not going to do well for the series going forward. I do think we'll see action again. But yeah never to the scale of Re6 at all.

Pal Version seems to be 50Hz unless they updated it
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373148

The shift from 6 to 7 was perfect in a lot of ways. Even capcom realized there was no real way to top RE6 in terms of scope and if anything it was sort of a closure on that trilogy of games (4-6). So the shift back to roots with RE7 was a good one (Even if I dislike the FP). Especially since it coincided with the series anniversary (or at least close enough to it). As I said above I doubt we see a action RE game with the scope of Re6 ever again. But I highly doubt Action is off the table. Especially with the recent Vendetta and what Not a Hero seems to be offering. I think capcom has finally figured out that a balance of horror/action (Whether it be in one game or making specific products that appeal to said groups) is the way to go. Helps keep the brand relevant as well as fresh. (Since the whole reason we even went action with Re4 in the first place was sales stagnation and the developers themselves getting tired of making the same style game).
I agree we need a healthy balance of both and going too much on one side wouldn't be good for the series, after all Capcom isn't too afraid to innovate the series i will give that to them.

Imo Revelations 1 and 2 while decent might not have been the perfect way to do it but they are trying.

Jawmuncher

I agree we need a healthy balance of both and going too much on one side wouldn't be good for the series, after all Capcom isn't too afraid to innovate the series i will give that to them.

Imo Revelations 1 and 2 while decent might not have been the perfect way to do it but they are trying.

Yeah Revelations 1 and 2 were nice attempts but for me I always listed them as failing to offering real horror and failing to offer real action. I really do not like the middle ground they have. I'd take a First Person Horror game like RE7 any day over the revelation titles in their current form. Do one thing well and roll with it rather than doing 2 things just ok if not worse.

everyone at Capcom be like:

source.gif

DVCY201

I'm waiting for the Gold Edition, so they'll get +1 sale. I don't think anyone can't call this a success. Is it down from prior entries? Yea, but it's also quite different. I still greatly prefer TPS over FPS. I find FPS sometimes makes me sick.

HPH

Neo Member
Do longtime Resident Evil fans like the direction that Capcom has gone with the series after the departure of Shinji Mikami?The reason I'm asking is because I feel that the series has been much more divisive since his departure. I wonder what would've happened if Mikami had stayed..

My history with the series is limited only to Code Veronica on Dreamcast, Resident Evil 4 on the Wii and the HD remaster of the Resident Evil remake for PC (i only bought and completed the HD remake recently and I feel its the best of the bunch). I am interested in the RE7 Gold edition though and hopefully can buy it when it launches on Steam.

This is my first post on Neogaf, happy to be a part of this forum!

Just to be clear, I liked a lot 5.

I also gave 6 a chance and I even played it twice all 4 characters. However, I also know plenty of people who bought it and could't finish Chris or Jake's story.

Neff

not enough, more people need to buy this masterpiece

we have been waiting longer than a decade for Resident evil to truly come back to it's roots, and when it finally happened, it didn't sell well, that's horrible news for TRUE fans of the series

true fans huh

Y'all need to stop with this stupid infighting in the re community.

word

Jawmuncher

Do longtime Resident Evil fans like the direction that Capcom has gone with the series after the departure of Shinji Mikami?The reason I'm asking is because I feel that the series has been much more divisive since his departure. I wonder what would've happened if Mikami had stayed..

My history with the series is limited only to Code Veronica on Dreamcast, Resident Evil 4 on the Wii and the HD remaster of the Resident Evil remake for PC (i only bought and completed the HD remake recently and I feel its the best of the bunch). I am interested in the RE7 Gold edition though and hopefully can buy it when it launches on Steam.

This is my first post on Neogaf, happy to be a part of this forum!

Welcome to the Forum. There's an RE community as well
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180977

As for your question it seems like a good chunk of fans like how RE has been handled (Outside the full-on action). The universe itself is really nice since it's so capable of handling anything you can throw at it. I think even with Mikami still being the main face that would'nt have changed. But yeah gameplay wise the series is as divisive as ever. Just part of the problem when people all like different things and Action & Horror can never truly work 100% together.

Slythe

Question:

Last week I beat Reaident Evil 4 and loved it. It was my first game in the series. Is this a good game to follow that up with? Or would REmake be a better next step?

I loved 4's pacing, tone, goofy characters, puzzles and strong atmosphere. In general I'm not into horror games, but if 7 retains some of those qualities I might buy it.

Real reason I'm asking is RE7 seems more Texas Chainsaw Massacre than B-movie. I like the levity 4 has, and 7 seems to be much more about dread and darkness, which makes me iffy on it.

Jawmuncher

Question:

Last week I beat Reaident Evil 4 and loved it. It's was my first game in the series. Is this a good game to follow that up with? Or would REmake be a better next step?

I loved 4's pacing, tone, goofy characters, puzzles and strong atmosphere. In general I'm not into horror games, but if 7 retains some of those qualities I might buy it.

Both RE7 and REmake are more serious and horror based. However RE7 would fit what you want more than REmake. It keeps the goofy more than that game. Which REmake has basically none of. Both are big on Atmosphere though.

mao2

Question:

Last week I beat Reaident Evil 4 and loved it. It was my first game in the series. Is this a good game to follow that up with? Or would REmake be a better next step?

Edit: real reason I'm asking is RE7 seems more Texas Chainsaw Massacre than B-movie. I like the levity 4 has, and 7 seems to be much more about dread and darkness.
Play Resident Evil 5 together with a buddy instead.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm thinking about it Resident Evil 7 is probably Capcoms biggest title to do similar sales and reception like last gen.

Dead Rising 3 didn't set the world on fire and went very cheap. Dead Rising 4 was a bomba

Let's not talk about Street Fighter either (unless you want to talk about 2 on the switch lol)

The whole world wants
Devil May Cry 5 with Uncle Dante

Vena

Hmmm thinking about it Resident Evil 7 is probably Capcoms biggest title to do similar sales and reception like last gen.

Its significantly down from its predecessors. This report of a paltry 500k shipped to channels where they may sit for untold amount of time (see: SFV) to reach a figure they were forecasting 6 months ago isn't exactly a sign of course-reversal.

Sesha

Cool. Well-deserved. I hope it continues to do well.

I think they want 10m lifetime sales, which is kinda crazy.

That's 10m across all versions of the game life time, which isn't crazy at all.

Remember how they wanted Dragon's Dogma, a brand new IP, to sell 10 million?

Yeah...

That was the same as Tabata's 10m wish for FF15, and was never a projection. People blow that statement out of proportion.

Its significantly down from its predecessors. This report of a paltry 500k shipped to channels where they may sit for untold amount of time (see: SFV) to reach a figure they were forecasting 6 months ago isn't exactly a sign of course-reversal.

Different genres, no co-op, lack of online features, replay value, and a five year wait. RE4 wasn't a major improvement over its predecessors either. It took ports and a couple of years for the turn-around to take place. Judging the new direction based on RE7s year one sales is premature.

Szadek

That's up to you, and feel as you do. But while I usually play games on my first run on the hardest difficulty available from the start for challenge, I can appreciate post-run modes, Madhouse is 100% designed essentially as a 'remixed' version of the main game and not for a first time playthrough.

If that's enough to dissuade you, then it's obvious you're not really all that interested to begin with. And that's fine.
It's mostly Madhouse sounds really cool, but having to play the game an second time to get to the part I really want to see suck the excitement out of it.
It doesn't help that I rarely replay games unless I really, really like them.

Good, best since RE4 indeed.

I played and destratled the demo immensely.
Then I watched a speed run of the full game in Youtube and disliked it even more.

Unless you tell me that it's one of those games that you must play to get a feel for it,
I would probably buy it one day ...but everything about the game, from the graphics, the concept , character models, monster design was just horrible imo.

It's not event the same thing,
I just don't see it.

Destratled = Disliked it and felt betrayed (made up word)

Steam price:

$59.99

According to this Website : The Steam key for the game went as low as $23 , Steam itself had it for $35 multiple times and Still it floats around 400'sK units since launch

https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=resident+evil+7#/page:game/info?plain=residentevilviibiohazard

Yeah, Resident Evil 7 is going to be at 6 million by the end 2018. I can't see them being displeased with any of this result considering how many sequels on big titles (Destiny 2,, Evil Within 2, etc) are not doing well post 2014 physically and some of digital revenues.

Capcom has done a huge hit and shows the strength of the brand is still healthy.

Heck the budget on this game has got to be WAY smaller than 6's abomination of 400+ people working on it.

I disagree, if it affects the game design and template on what makes 7 great. Resident Evil 5 is around eight years old (add the extra million or so from the recent SKU ports) and 7 will reach 6 million before two years in. The budget was much smaller and digital revenue for this title and varied ports will be stronger in revenue for them.

7 has done great sales and revenue without a doubt.

Anything CO-OP add as additional mode or make sure it fits a good design template.

It is a success no matter how you spin in..

There's no way RE7 would have made the same numbers 5 or 6 made even if it was a 3RD person Call of Duty Dude game.

The RE franchise is not the same as it was before. And yes, 6 truly murder it for many fans.

I am very happy with the numbers of 7 and am sure 8 will prob do around the same. The budget for 7 and for 8 is a lot lower than 6 thanks to the RE Engine making it easier for Capcom to make their money back.

Plenty of interviews out there my friend. 6 was super expensive and way over budget.

1-) Capcom didn't share development budget numbers so you can't compare between them

2-) Resident Evil 7 Head of marketing said in an interview that the marketing budget of RE7 is the same or even higher than RE6

https://www.videogamer.com/news/cap...-or-10s-but-im-sure-well-see-a-few-8s-as-well

3-) The Credits for RE7 shows that the staff for RE7 isn't a small number either , They are hundreds of people just like RE6

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/resident-evil-vii-biohazard/credits

4-) RE6 Remaster Sold 1.1M and counting , I can't recall a remaster for a game that killed a franchise to sell above 1M in less than a year

Considering that

1. The GOTY edition hasn't come out yet,
2. PC version will get a bump when VR is patched in, and
3. Most of the other games have sales numbers bolstered by remasters,

I'd say it's doing pretty damn well. I expect it to end up being the best-selling non-action RE.

Point 2 = VR in console version of the game is 10% of the main sales , apply the same percentage on PC where VR is more Niche and you will get 50K additional sales at max

Point 3 = Subtract the remasters and you still see that RE5 and RE6 day one numbers are above RE7 ten months numbers

CLEEK

Glad it didn't flop.

Playing RE7 in PSVR is the one of the greatest, impressive, transformative gaming experiences I've had in 3 decades of gaming. It proved that VR gaming is the real deal, while being a thoroughly well made videogame in its own right. Shame it was the first and last AAA VR game, I was hoping it would be the start of something special. I guess we just need to wait for RE8.

Aviatora

Neo Member
I've only tried the demo, which I loved. So I'll be buying it digitally to play on the One X at some point, hopefully cheap through a sale.

cvxfreak

3-) The Credits for RE7 shows that the staff for RE7 isn't a small number either , They are hundreds of people just like RE6

The thing you have to remember is that RE7 is a MUCH leaner game than RE6 and they got an entirely new engine out of it.

The more expensive elements of game production are audio and visuals. RE6 has ~3.5 hours of cut-scenes and 151 songs in the OST. Compare that to RE7, which you can beat in way under 3 hours though you have to watch every almost cut-scene, and an OST with just 81 tracks, some of them being less than a minute long. That doesn't even account for the full orchestra used in RE6's OST.

I wouldn't be surprised if just one of the campaigns in RE6 cost more to make than all of RE7.

FiveSide

Banned
Point 2 = VR in console version of the game is 10% of the main sales , apply the same percentage on PC where VR is more Niche and you will get 50K additional sales at max

Point 3 = Subtract the remasters and you still see that RE5 and RE6 day one numbers are above RE7 ten months numbers

Point 2 = you can't just graft the console percentage onto the expected PC VR sales, PC VR headset owners will be enthusiasts who have been waiting to play one of VR's killer apps for about a year (assuming it releases in January/February 2018).

Even if there are only 500,000 Vive/Oculus owners (and the number is much higher than this), you're saying only 10% of those owners will buy RE7 when it finally releases in VR? No, the number will be higher than that.

Point 3 = Where is this aggressive comparison to RE5 and RE6 coming from? All I said was that RE7 hasn't had any remasters like the other games, implying that if it eventually does, it will get even higher numbers than it has now. Considering most of the other remasters sold 1 million plus, that's a completely fair assessment.

Who gives a shit if it's lagging behind RE5 and RE6 in launch window sales? I never said it would sell more than them. In fact I specifically said it'd probably sell the most of any non-action RE, implying that it'll end up fourth under RE4-6, or possibly third and slightly above RE4.

Top Bottom