• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Ships 4 Million Copies Worldwide (At 500K/2M FY goal by March 2018)

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ok updated the OP since people kept bringing it up. Until we get more info RE7 is the 6th best selling RE title (This is counting all SKUs as one and only using confirmed numbers given by capcom).

Resident EVil 5 - 9.5 million
Resident Evil 6 - 8 million
Resident Evil 4 - 5.9 million
Resident Evil/Resident Evil:Director's Cut - 5.08 million
Resident Evil 2 - 4.96 million
Resident Evil 7 - 4+ million

Yeah, Resident Evil 7 is going to be at 6 million by the end 2018. I can't see them being displeased with any of this result considering how many sequels on big titles (Destiny 2,, Evil Within 2, etc) are not doing well post 2014 physically and some of digital revenues.

Capcom has done a huge hit and shows the strength of the brand is still healthy.

Heck the budget on this game has got to be WAY smaller than 6's abomination of 400+ people working on it.

Jawmuncher

Yeah but PS3 version is an actual remaster, this is the PS2 version straight up emulated.

Yeah but this came out recently and has a MSRP of 14.99 also includes a Platinum Trophy which the PS3 version doesn't (Also the PS3 version has been that cheap in the past). So for the newer version (Even if emulated) to be this much cheaper than the years old port is very odd.

Might just be a Capcpom thing though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ok updated the OP since people kept bringing it up. Until we get more info RE7 is the 6th best selling RE title (This is counting all SKUs as one and only using confirmed numbers given by capcom).

They should really consider putting online co-op back in the games.

cvxfreak

I always found Sales-Age's writing off of RE7 as baffling and premature. Even RE4 didn't replicate the success of its predecessors until much later on, even when accounting for the PS2 port.

Maybe RE7 won't ever reach RE6's numbers, but it's a more profitable game that will assuredly break 5-6 million lifetime.

Given those numbers it looks pretty much assured that RE7 will end up, at worst, being the 4th best selling in the franchise. And maybe number 3. It depends on how much the RE2 remake adds to the talley.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member

I disagree, if it affects the game design and template on what makes 7 great. Resident Evil 5 is around eight years old (add the extra million or so from the recent SKU ports) and 7 will reach 6 million before two years in. The budget was much smaller and digital revenue for this title and varied ports will be stronger in revenue for them.

7 has done great sales and revenue without a doubt.

Anything CO-OP add as additional mode or make sure it fits a good design template.

Jawmuncher

The co-op has definitely been the biggest factor in RE5 and RE6 having legs. So hopefully they do even if it is just a spin-off title. Revelations 2 didn't really count since it was offline only.

Given those numbers it looks pretty much assured that RE7 will end up, at worst, being the 4th best selling in the franchise. And maybe number 3. It depends on how much the RE2 remake adds to the talley.

I count the Remakes as their own game. REmake & Remake HD are at - 3.25 million
But yeah it'll be interesting to see how RE2make on it's own sells. Has the chance to be bigger than RE7 by a large margin if they play the nostalgia.

jjonez18

When I've got time I'm definitely going to dig into this. Glad Capcom found some form of success, because from what I hear it's a great game.

Sandfox

Yeah, Resident Evil 7 is going to be at 6 million by the end 2018. I can't see them being displeased with any of this result considering how many sequels on big titles (Destiny 2,, Evil Within 2, etc) are not doing well post 2014 physically and some of digital revenues.

Capcom has done a huge hit and shows the strength of the brand is still healthy.

Heck the budget on this game has got to be WAY smaller than 6's abomination of 400+ people working on it.
I don't really see any reason to expect the game to sell 6 million by that timeframe given how it is currently selling. I don't think they should be happy with the game mixing expectations twice either.

if you didn't make VR a fucking exclusive for a year you'd already have at least 1 more sale from me, and I bet others are in the same boat.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really see any reason to expect the game to sell 6 million by that timeframe given how it is currently selling.

Gold edition, digital sales (Steam sale holidays) and standard purchases plus minor promotion and interest in the brand in continuation of REmake 2. It's strongly possible when you reflect up past titles sales and quiet legs over time.

killroy87

It's fucking lunacy that 5 and 6 sold that many copies. What terrible, terrible games those are haha. 5 is at least arguably decent, but 6 is a shit show.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Let's not forget that with Resident Evil there's three strong distinctive sub genre/titles they can go with on a reasonable annual and differentiate course for the near future.

Main-line titles

Revelation/Side titles (I've included Side because Capcom likes to experiment or weird far out there takes sometimes)

REmakes

This is Capcom. Capcom is going to Capcom the fuck out it.

I count the Remakes as their own game. REmake & Remake HD are at - 3.25 million
But yeah it'll be interesting to see how RE2make on it's own sells. Has the chance to be bigger than RE7 by a large margin if they play the nostalgia.

Oops, didn't realize REMake wasn't counted. I tink RE7 is pretty much assured to end up in 3rd then.

Unless RE2 remake is a giant overhaul with RE7-level production values I have serious doubts that it will be bigger than RE7. I think it can do very well for itself though.

Jawmuncher

Oops, didn't realize REMake wasn't counted. I tink RE7 is pretty much assured to end up in 3rd then.

Unless RE2 remake is a giant overhaul with RE7-level production values I have serious doubts that it will be bigger than RE7. I think it can do very well for itself though.

That's definitely the biggest factor.
If it's a FF7R style remake it could definitely do it.
If it's something more on a smaller scale that's exactly like the classic then probably not.

Christian-Bale-look.gif

Jawmuncher

Is the deluxe edition worth it? I mean, does the DLC add anything special?

IMO I think the current Ban Tapes are pretty meh. Very short and not really much all that interesting. The few interesting bits are so short they're just an appetizer. So the current PSN sale for the Deluxe Edition is definitely not worth it. Especially when it costs more than the Gold Edition in a few months.

IMO you're better off just getting the base game and waiting on a sale for the season pass or End of Zeo (Since not a hero is free) or just waiting for gold. With prime or GCU it comes out to $40 which is a good deal for it all.

It's near the top of my Black Friday list of games to buy. I wanna check it out but I'm also a total whimp when it comes to stuff like this.

IMO I think the current Ban Tapes are pretty meh. Very short and not really much all that interesting. The few interesting bits are so short they're just an appetizer. So the current PSN sale for the Deluxe Edition is definitely not worth it. Especially when it costs more than the Gold Edition in a few months.

IMO you're better off just getting the base game and waiting on a sale for the season pass or End of Zeo (Since not a hero is free) or just waiting for gold. With prime or GCU it comes out to $40 which is a good deal for it all.

I'm on PC, btw. I saw a deal on CDkeys (about €15 for the standard edition). Thanks for your answer!

Well deserved. Hopefully the future mainline games follow this style more, although I would like to see the action style comeback too, perhaps in the Revelations series.

Fisty

I hope they took away the correct message from all of this. They need to realize that these sales are actually pretty good, and that they are only as low as they are because of the brand-poison RE6.

Jawmuncher

The fact that RE5 and RE6 sold more than this game makes me sad. :(

I mean. Those games have also been out
8 and 5 years as well. So it makes sense that they sold more?

Can you imagine RE7 selling fucking 9.5 million in a year?
That's more than like even COD and other juggernauts manage. That's like some GTA craziness.

I'm on PC, btw. I saw a deal on CDkeys (about €15 for the standard edition). Thanks for your answer!

Oh yeah keep an eye out on that. I've seen the PC deluxe version hovering around $30.

I hope they took away the correct message from all of this. They need to realize that these sales are actually pretty good, and that they are only as low as they are because of the brand-poison RE6.

Let's not get too crazy now. Yes RE6 perhaps tainted the franchise to an extent for some.
But it's definitely not the only factor. There are RE fans and consumers who only want action and coop. Neither which RE7 offer.
So the change back to a horror game with a new perspective to boot was never going to magically become the best seller some claim.
Horror is still not a big genre in gaming and the fact that RE has pulled this much actually speak more about how strong the brand is even with all it's differences over the years more than anything.
Someone who wen't "Fuck RE6 because it's action and michael bay explosions" would have to be smoking some pretty heavy stuff to see the RE7 reviews, play the demo, and go "This is more of the same"

It is so amazing. Playing this in VR is what has truly completely sold me on the tech. I have never been more unnerved or engrossed before.

Duxxy3

I wish I could get my brother to buy and play the game. But he just can't deal with scary games at all.

Maybe the market for scary games is just not large. Which is odd because of how well scary movies have historically done. Maybe it's just a different experience for people.

If Capcom is going for bigger sales my guess is that they'll make 8 about as scary as 4 and 5 were. Which is to say not really scary at all. Tense maybe, but not scary. There were some parts of 7 that creeped me out a bit, and not many games have that effect on me.

Fisty

Let's not get too crazy now. Yes RE6 perhaps tainted the franchise to an extent for some.
But it's definitely not the only factor. There are RE fans and consumers who only want action and coop. Neither which RE7 offer.
So the change back to a horror game with a new perspective to boot was never going to magically become the best seller some claim.
Horror is still not a big genre in gaming and the fact that RE has pulled this much actually speak more about how strong the brand is even with all it's differences over the years more than anything.
Someone who wen't "Fuck RE6 because it's action and michael bay explosions" would have to be smoking some pretty heavy stuff to see the RE7 reviews, play the demo, and go "This is more of the same"

I don't think anyone wanted to change RE back to horror to be a big seller, they just wanted a good game that more resembles what the series used to be. It's sales were bound to be a slow burn, due to the previous entry and not having the co-op effect to buoy it (for an example of this, look at the sales performance of the wildly mediocre Ghost Recon Wildlands)

The fact that Capcom had THREE concurrent RE lineups all pushing the action format also threw a few logs of the pile of burning wreckage. I wouldn't be surprised if most people had completely given up on RE getting back on track when Capcom put out misfire after dumpster fire after misfire.

FiveSide

Banned
Considering that

1. The GOTY edition hasn't come out yet,
2. PC version will get a bump when VR is patched in, and
3. Most of the other games have sales numbers bolstered by remasters,

I'd say it's doing pretty damn well. I expect it to end up being the best-selling non-action RE.

Jawmuncher

I don't think anyone wanted to change RE back to horror to be a big seller, they just wanted a good game that more resembles what the series used to be. It's sales were bound to be a slow burn, due to the previous entry and not having the co-op effect to buoy it (for an example of this, look at the sales performance of the wildly mediocre Ghost Recon Wildlands)

The fact that Capcom had THREE concurrent RE lineups all pushing the action format also threw a few logs of the pile of burning wreckage. I wouldn't be surprised if most people had completely given up on RE getting back on track when Capcom put out misfire after dumpster fire after misfire.

Why capcom has never really managed catering to their large fanbase of different tastes will always baffle me. Hopefully with RE7, RE2make, and whatever this third title they have in dev is. They’ll start doing that. No reason to shun horror for action and vice versa. When you have plenty of customers willing to give money for it and have a decent amount of development teams to handle the demand now that building an engine is out of the way

joe2187

Banned
There's a RE PSN Sale and I own every single piece of RE content there is to buy.

My Vita has RE1, RE2, RE3, RE Rev 2
My PS3 has RECVX, Resident Evil Darkside, Resident Evil Umbrella
My PS4 has RE0, REmake, RE4, RE5, RE6, Rev1, Rev2, RE7

I love all of the games, with REmake,RE5, RE6, RECVX, RE7,Rev2 and RE0. Being my top favorites in that order.

And Im gonna buy RECVX port on PS4, just so I can play it again once more and platinum it.

It is a success no matter how you spin in..

There's no way RE7 would have made the same numbers 5 or 6 made even if it was a 3RD person Call of Duty Dude game.

The RE franchise is not the same as it was before. And yes, 6 truly murder it for many fans.

I am very happy with the numbers of 7 and am sure 8 will prob do around the same. The budget for 7 and for 8 is a lot lower than 6 thanks to the RE Engine making it easier for Capcom to make their money back.

Jawmuncher

It is a success no matter how you spin in..

There's no way RE7 would have made the same numbers 5 or 6 made even if it was a 3RD person Call of Duty Dude game.

The RE franchise is not the same as it was before. And yes, 6 truly murder it for many fans.

I am very happy with the numbers of 7 and am sure 8 will prob do around the same. The budget for 7 and for 8 is a lot lower than 6 thanks to the RE Engine making it easier for Capcom to make their money back.

That doesn’t make much sense. MT framework by the time RE6 came out was well established and had been going on for a long time. There was no coat in even making a engine for that game outside changing the lighting.

Hell half the budget for RE7 was supposedly just making the engine itself.

That doesn’t make much sense. MT framework by the time RE6 came out was well established and had been going on for a long time. There was no coat in even making a engine for that game outside changing the lighting.

Plenty of interviews out there my friend. 6 was super expensive and way over budget.

Top Bottom