• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

Icolin

Banned
I didn't particularly like Interstellar but seeing it in IMAX was an incredible treat. I have no doubt that the same will be true for Dunkirk.

This. Interstellar in IMAX is still probably the greatest theatre experience I've ever had. The quality of the film is debatable (I personally loved it) but you can't argue that its scale is magnificent, doubly so in IMAX. Dunkirk will be the same way, although it doesn't seem to have, based on the reviews thus far, the glaring plotholes that Interstellar had.

Javier23

Banned
Haven't enjoyed any of Nolan's since TDK, which I liked quite a bit. By Interstellar the dude was starting to piss me off. If reviews for this one stay this high I will probably go watch it, which I had no plans of. Intrigued.

I had faith in Nolan and thought this movie would turn out good, but I'm really intrigued by some of the reviewers calling it his finest film. A Nolan film that's even better than The Dark Knight (or Memento, I haven't seen that yet though) sounds too good to pass up.

For me, it's been Wonder Woman, then It Comes at Night, then Baby Driver, then Spider-Man, then Apes, and now (seemingly) Dunkirk. So good.

Yeah, the consistent streak of quality films that has been released every (other) week since June has been outright ludicrous. There's at least six films (including Dunkirk) I want too see that have come out and I've only been able to see two (Wonder Woman, which was great; and Apes, which was fantastic and is tied with Logan as my favorite film so far).

FTF

Editing is supposedly on point in this film. I don't like predicting shit before I see it, tho.

Yup, could def see editing and sound editing noms. Baby Driver is going to be tough comp for that though (especially sound).

97% after 32 reviews and a 9.1/10...mmmmmm.

I have close access to an IMAX theater and all of the hype and positive reviews are tempting me greatly to go that route.

My only hesitation is the fact that the last time I went to that IMAX theater, my fucking eardrums got annihilated. I mean, it was bad.

I know others have had this issue. Anyone facing the issue have a suggestion?

FTF

I have close access to an IMAX theater and all of the hype and positive reviews are tempting me greatly to go that route.

My only hesitation is the fact that the last time I went to that IMAX theater, my fucking eardrums got annihilated. I mean, it was bad.

Yeah it's def loud as all hell...maybe some weak ear plugs?

Jarmel

Banned

Sound dampening ear plugs. You can still hear the film.

shira

Sit in the back, earplugs or noise protectors.

No shame to use them. Lotta idiot parents who bring small kids to imax.

Aurongel

The first sign that this was bound for greatness was when they announced the runtime. I remember there was a lot of outright disbelief in the original announcement thread given how rare it is to see directors make the conscious effort to pull back their runtimes. The last example I can think of was Gravity.

a916

He has a pretty fantastic filmography with only a few duds here and there, like Trek. He really dodged a bullet with Suicide Squad.

Nah, he was in Legend, by all means not up to his standard... he still delivers in that role though. He's such a great actor. I think even if he was in SS, he would've been good in a bad movie. That said, glad he didn't take that role, he deserves a bigger role.

Sounds like they are getting one of the 70MM non Imax prints. They exist.

thanks for posting that, hmm so the selections at my theater are "IMAX
I LOVE MOVIES, IMAX MOVIES" and "70mm" and i called to find out what kind of imax they had and the girl just sounded confused, put me on hold and hung up lmao

If I'm reading this right, it's a blend of Memento, Saving Private Ryan, and Fury Road.

Those are the three main ingredients.

Am I reading that right?

Jon Favreau's take!
6JemhMi.png

I can't tell if people

1) are being sarcastic
2) aren't being sarcastic
3) confusing Jon Favreau for the frizzy haired guy from Collider News that made the bad Superman documentary

It's probably been asked but how long until the backlash?

Based on the little I've read, if someone dislikes it, it will likely be because the movie doesn't really have a core character to develop/follow/act as the audience surrogate. That can be pretty offputting to some people.

Top Bottom