• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

Just bought tickets for the 70mm version Thursday night. And hot damn that EW review snippet got me hype. I'm a sucker for WWII anything.

3 stars from the Chicago Tribune.

How do these three story strands intertwine, by land, by sea and by air? It hurts to say it, but not easily. This is why I consider “Dunkirk” a worthwhile frustration, buoyed by some genuine mastery. As powerful and exciting as “Dunkirk” is, at its best, I found the time games self-conscious and vexing, and in the context of a fictionalized true story of thousands of lives lost, and hundreds of thousands saved, the structural gimmick feels, well, gimmicky.

The reviews and descriptions have me thinking of the host of a podcast I listen to (Battleship Pretension). He's not a big Nolan fan and has felt that Nolan isn't really aware of what he does well and what he does poorly.

This sounds like he's locked in, finally. Nolan won't be known for his incredibly rich characters or smart dialogue but holy fuck, can he pull off spectacle and awe. Can't wait to see this.

The reviews and descriptions have me thinking of the host of a podcast I listen to (Battleship Pretension). He's not a big Nolan fan and has felt that Nolan isn't really aware of what he does well and what he does poorly.

This sounds like he's locked in, finally. Nolan won't be known for his incredibly rich characters or smart dialogue but holy fuck, can he pull off spectacle and awe. Can't wait to see this.

Sounds like the host of that podcast may need to apologize to Mr. Nolan a little bit, ha.

And people said you couldn't make a PG-13 war movie.
You dont need gore and blood for tension and suspense. I think the difference is that most war movies revolve around combat, so the notion of a war film without the gore amd blood that tends to come with battlefields seems ridiculous.

Top Bottom