• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mission impossible : Dead Reckoning Part. 1 | Review thread

jason10mm

Gold Member
My feeling exactly. Also the airport scene : "look this is Hunt" nope it's another guy lol, "look that's definitely him now", nope still another dude lol. The whole [
Not only that, but if the "threat" is an AI that can hack into any computer system and change data at willl, maybe don't make an extended sequence of a human (Luther) hacking into any computer system and changing data at will, hard to see why the AI would be any worse:p

GreenAlien

I enjoyed it, especially the car chase sequence was great fun. However, the movie has a glaring flaw: All the mono- and dialogues are utter trash. Cutting out all the voice lines would have improved the film by 300%.

Ulysses 31

Oof, these guys who like to scrutinize the movie writing find that the movie doesn't hold well at all compared to Fallout.

Lots of issues with the nature of the AI and the keys that can be copies and people don't seem to care to check for all for the deception the AI can do till the plot requires it. And the Russians who made the keys should be able to make more?

Also questionable for the final movie(s) to inject new history to create new Ethan Hunt drama from something not even alluded to in any of the previous movies(but maybe part 2 fixes it)

Too many expo dumps which usually are a sign of badly paced movies.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

I went to the movies to watch this one. I was actually surprised I enjoyed it.
Great action sequences, good humor... It is in fact a very good movie.
Tom Cruise is infact the last hollywood star.

Lux R7

Also questionable for the final movie(s) to inject new history to create new Ethan Hunt drama from something not even alluded to in any of the previous movies(but maybe part 2 fixes it)

yeah this is my only problem with the movie, but i enjoyed it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Saw it yesterday, really was the perfect summer Cruise Missile. I will cherish every one we still get, man is not young.

I was worried about the length, that it would end up like John Wick 4, but ended up enjoying every moment of it.

Really liked how the men fought with women, that’s not something you see often.

And goddam Hayley Atwell is stunning, never heard of her before but insanely hot. It’s that jawline and eyebrow combo. She’s like a what happens if Billie Piper and Maggie Siff had a hot descendant.

Saw it last night with my wife, we both loved it. Every great action movie needs a cool car chase sequence and this flick has one of the best ever put on film. Lengthy, wonderfully choreographed and with unexpected twists, absolutely fantastic.

The main reason I wanted to post about this though is how it relates to gaming. There is a an early scene in a sandstorm, cut to female character in shack with an eye patch, I *immediately* think of MGSV. Sure enough, 30 seconds later she mounts a sniper rifle and starts taking out the bad guys, I missed you Quiet! Towards the end there is a (spectacular) train sequence, the *final* part of which is straight out of Uncharted 2, thought the "inspiration" was interesting lol.

Anyway, movie is a must watch on the big screen, can't wait for part 2 next summer 👌

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Watching this Saturday night in 4dx. Oppen has all the Imax screens :(

How did you like the experience? For me 4DX for this movie was a bit too much. The seats were almost throwing us in the air and shaking us violently, especially in the Rome car chase scene.

Maverick on the other hand, I loved every moment of it in 4DX. Watched twice.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

How did you like the experience? For me 4DX for this movie was a bit too much. The seats were almost throwing us in the air and shaking us violently, especially in the Rome car chase scene.

Maverick on the other hand, I loved every moment of it in 4DX. Watched twice.
I really liked the movie as a check-your-brain action flick. The interactions between Ethan and Grace was fun with surprising chemistry. There was some great moments in the film. highly recommend.
I didn’t even know what 4DX was when booking our tickets but in Brussels there are 3 languages to service and this was the version playing English so went with it.
I was like wtf! when seats started moving and almost took a swing when it first sprayed me in the face haha but We loved the experience. Yes, it was like a bad roller coaster at moments but it was awesome. After heavy action sequences the theater would erupt with excited laughter. Not sure how long my whiplash lasts but think this movie was perfect for 4dx. It’s the first movie where my seat beat the shit out of me Lol.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Good lord, this was a massive step down from Fallout.

Make a fucking self contained movie. Stop trying to make more money out of an audience with this bullshit parts 1 & 2 business. Most of the issues this film has stems from trying to pad out a run time to fill two movies.

Also the 'entity' is laughably stupid as a villain/macguffin. Every time anyone said it's name all serious faced it made me laugh.

And the rip off of Uncharted 2 is quite surprising for such a high profile movie. Think of your own shit, Tom.

Kinda glad this bombed, to be honest with you.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Good lord, this was a massive step down from Fallout.

Make a fucking self contained movie. Stop trying to make more money out of an audience with this bullshit parts 1 & 2 business. Most of the issues this film has stems from trying to pad out a run time to fill two movies.

Also the 'entity' is laughably stupid as a villain/macguffin. Every time anyone said it's name all serious faced it made me laugh.
They wanted a complex AI antagonist with unclear motivations but didn’t trust the audience to understand it. So huge chunks of runtime are the entire cast standing around spitting out clumsy exposition. Even in high stakes showdowns between the good guys and bad guys they pause for 15 minutes to talk about The Entity together instead of fighting, like it’s a serial anime.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They wanted a complex AI antagonist with unclear motivations but didn’t trust the audience to understand it. So huge chunks of runtime are the entire cast standing around spitting out clumsy exposition. Even in high stakes showdowns between the good guys and bad guys they pause for 15 minutes to talk about The Entity together instead of fighting, like it’s a serial anime.

It's... weird. The MI movies have usually had solid antagonists and decent plots, but this one screws it up completely. Don't ask me to be invested in a storyline about some idiotically over-exaggerated AI, and the most cliched villain henchman ever (especially when he's played by not a very good actor).

The stunts are as good as always, but the story is easily the worst of the entire series. It's like Tom just really, really wanted to do an AI villain, and nobody had the balls to tell him it was a stupid idea for a series that succeeds because of the human element.

Really stupid choice, especially given how adamant he is about doing real stunts. No point not using computers for the stunts, if you're going to replace characters with one, Tommy boy.

DrFigs

All the Mission Impossible films have very long exposition scenes. I don't think Dead Reckoning is especially bad about it. I think it had pretty weak villains, but also some really nice set pieces. I really enjoyed everything on the train.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think the film just suffers for an abstract foe. I THINK the opening sub bit is to show that the key to defeating the Entity is in that sub, NOT that the entity ITSELF is in the sub. But I'm not really sure and the whole 2 key thing is vague at best. Why do you need rooms of guys typing shit out? Just airgap the systems or, you know, use a copier? Plus the supporting cast of characters is getting burdensome.

Still, it was fun and I want more of it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
All the Mission Impossible films have very long exposition scenes. I don't think Dead Reckoning is especially bad about it. I think it had pretty weak villains, but also some really nice set pieces. I really enjoyed everything on the train.

I enjoyed it in 2009 too when I played Uncharted 2 🙄

Trunx81

I saw the movie a few weeks ago, and yesterday the new Indiana Jones movie. The later had one of the best 20 minutes on a train that I’ve seen in the last few years. So dissapointing to have the train wreck after that ..

With DR, it really felt like a large exposition session. The action was good, as always, but story wise it lacked a lot.

Haven’t seen this yet but it sounds disappointing. Bummer, I was really looking forward to it. Maybe Tom needs to align his Thetans. Time for some auditing before Part 2.

DrFigs

I think the film just suffers for an abstract foe. I THINK the opening sub bit is to show that the key to defeating the Entity is in that sub, NOT that the entity ITSELF is in the sub. But I'm not really sure and the whole 2 key thing is vague at best. Why do you need rooms of guys typing shit out? Just airgap the systems or, you know, use a copier? Plus the supporting cast of characters is getting burdensome.

Still, it was fun and I want more of it.
oh yeah ... they could just put everything on a hard drive... it is kind of silly to have people manually type out sensitive info.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I liked the movie. It was a fun ride.

i would like to be handcuffed to Hayley atwell.
That would be a FANTASTIC premise for a reality show! Get those D list celebs to agree and be handcuffed to some rando Joe schmoe for a couple of days and just film it all.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is Hayley d list?
DD list

ltIClQD.jpg

You get credit for the assist :p

Kenpachii

Pretty solid movie, a bit longish at the end. I don't know why they thought 2 parts was going to be something interesting, the story and main enemy is kinda meh. Expected more of the movie however.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Pretty solid movie, a bit longish at the end. I don't know why they thought 2 parts was going to be something interesting, the story and main enemy is kinda meh. Expected more of the movie however.
I would say the end with the train falling down was a bit overdone.

I noticed too after the train sequence Hayley was pretty clean, despite laying in a bed of coal.

ahtlas7

If you’re going to watch it:
-Pop some corn
-check your brain at the door
-crank up your sound system
enjoy.

RaduN

Decent movie. First part was better, falls apart towards the end. Surprisingly bad fighting scenes.
They could have done so much more with the AI plot. Way too average, for this day and age when we had so many interesting/revolutionary AI stories in movies and games (looking at you MGS2).

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I am surprised that they weren't further along with production for this, I actually thought they might have filmed both parts back to back. It must be hard to clear schedules for two movies worth of production.

Start rationing your films and TV shows, or you'll end up watching reality tv.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I am surprised that they weren't further along with production for this, I actually thought they might have filmed both parts back to back. It must be hard to clear schedules for two movies worth of production.

Start rationing your films and TV shows, or you'll end up watching reality tv.

2024 is going to be rough for movies and scripted tv shows with all the strikes and resulting delays.

Alcibiades

Saw this twice in lieMAX, before I had discovered the wonders of dual laser legit IMAX (with Oppenheimer). Regret not seeing it there.

Awesome movie that doesn't seen to drag despite its runtime. I'm always complaining generally about movie length these days but then I end up enjoying these superlong movies.

Tom Cruise is ace as always and it's straight entertainment from start to finish. The AI plot was a little hard to grasp at first, and I had questions even after a second viewing but it was still a fun premise to explore.

Disappointed about part 2's delay but I guess there is no way around that now. Hopefully it gets a good release date where there isn't major competition before or after. This movie landed right in the middle of a packed summer (weekend before Barbie/Oppenheimer) and it seemed to get lost in the shuffle despite a decent box office return.

Salz01

Just saw this over the weekend . Good movie, sad about a character. Was hoping to see part 2 next year, sucks have to wait another year.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Sorry for the resurrection but I just seen this on BD. Worst MI movie. Holly shit was this bad. How did they even manage to make a movie so bad after Fallout? Two and a half hours of pocket thief tricks to get a macguffin. Shit action all around, bad dialog.

Was this written right in the writers strike? Nothing is this movie made sense.

I have so many questions. The hole, running out of time, the stakes raising with every action was completely absent from this MI iteration.
And they want to waste another movie on this turd? Really?

Top Bottom