• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Packaging (Nintendo Figurine) - Wallets 'am cry

Squishy3

Why are they Smash Bros. branded? Won't these work with many other games too?
Smash Bros. is just the first game with functionality, I'm sure when they start adding the functionality to other games they'll start updating the packaging.

$10-15 for plastic statues.

I still don't get it.

They've got a chip inside them and a small amount of storage that you can write data to. Think of them as physical portable profiles that you can customize and level and then take them to your friends house to use with everything you've leveled up and customized readily available just by putting your character on to their pad.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Funny that after thumbing my nose at Skylanders, I'm now making a mental list of what characters I'll be buying when they become available.

$10-15 per character, 32 characters announced so far, Captain Falcon, Ness, Lucina, Ridley still unannounced...

I'll have to control myself and settle for one or two. ._.

All copies of Super Smash should come with at least one random figurine so that all owners gets to experience it. This also benefits Nintendo as more people will probably get addicted to getting more of them.

ivIDmBRVY7Pog.gif

Damn, those look pretty good. Even if the integration with games is completely useless and gimmicky I'll probably still end up with... entirely too many.

They've got a chip inside them and a small amount of storage that you can write data to. Think of them as physical portable profiles that you can customize and level and then take them to your friends house to use with everything you've leveled up and customized readily available just by putting your character on to their pad.

But I see people saying they're buying them just for the figure (and the Smash crowd didn't seem enthused with them, or maybe I just read a small portion of the reactions). I understand these are highly profitable, and I still collect action figures, but I don't get these. Even when I think about the intended crowd I think there are way better toys to buy for $10-15.

Maybe I'm just missing the point.

javac

Should slap the Wii U/3DS logo on there somewhere right? I'm any case yeah goodbye wallet. I've spent 100's on figures as it is. I'm probably going to go for a handful at launch and slowly get the rest. I will get them all. I understand how people who play Skylanders feel now T_T

Seik

Banned
I'll buy each and every one of these and I'll probably won't even use them.

Nintendo will make tons of money with this.

I don't like the packaging it is the ultimate "piss off, we'll take as much shelf space as we possibly can". There is no other reason why it can't be barely bigger than the figure.

So do I need one of these to do the moveset customizations they showed for smash in the direct a couple of months ago?
Nope. They are said to be able to acquire AI above that of a level 9 CPU but I hope it isn't the only way to fight those challenging oponents.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Easily as gorgeous as the Infinity packaging.

fuck.

edit - and why does that murderous looking puppet have spoons for hands?

They are really, really pretty.

I´ll get close to every figure if they are 10 € each.

Edit: Pit is fucking gorgeous.

Zalman

Smash Bros. is just the first game with functionality, I'm sure when they start adding the functionality to other games they'll start updating the packaging.
They are supposed to work with Mario Kart 8 too and that's already out. Seems odd to me unless they're planning to release MK themed ones too. I sure don't hope so...

Kouichi

Falco
Palutena
Pit
Luigi
Greninja

Day one. I'm going to create a squad of high level computers with the customized stats and moves I use.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Welp, Wallet is going to shed a lot of tears when I'm buying those figurines for collection sakes.

If we are getting 50 characters. (That's big IF)

50 characters x 10 dollars = 500 dollars
50 characters x 15 dollars = 750 dollars

So it would be between 450 to 750 dollars for full collection set.

Caoz

I still don't see why I would want these for games.

As figures they look kind of neat, though.

Lets say you enjoy playing Mario Kart. Lets say that they sell a figure of (Insert Character here) that you want to race as in MK. Only way to get the character to appear in the game as a selectable character is if you buy the figure... Dry bones for example... That would be enticing if I can get it for cheap....

Persona7

Banned
I don't like the packaging it is the ultimate "piss off, we'll take as much shelf space as we possibly can". There is no other reason why it can't be barely bigger than the figure.

Nope. They are said to be able to acquire AI above that of a level 9 CPU but I hope it isn't the only way to fight those challenging oponents.

they need to come in a little tube with foil blocking the transmission to piss off collectors.

Welp, Wallet is going to shed a lot of tears when I'm buying those figurines for collection sakes.

keikaku in full effect

Gartooth

I'm not interested in how they are integrated in Smash Bros. so I'll probably skip out on those unless there is a character I really want. (Smash Bros. 3DS + Smash Bros. Wii U Gamecube bundle already is going to kill my wallet)

As far as other games go I might bite. The Toad and Yoshi games presumably won't have very large figure sets, so if those games have cool integration then I might go in on them. Only reason I would buy figures for MK8 is if it is the only way to get DLC characters which I hope Nintendo avoids.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Packaging looks clean but quite large for the size of the figurines. For customers' sakes, it's good that they're not blister packed. It's going to be a lot of plastic land-fills though (from the figurines, too, eventually)

DNAbro

that's more than i plan on spending on games for the rest of the year.

geordiemp

So someone considering buying a Nintendo console will have to buy the console £ 210, the game £ 40 and 16 x £ 15 for these characters to get them unlocked in that game ?

Great for Nintendo I see this as a way to earn more money out of existing customers.

Potential new customers or sitting n the fence for a wiiu may be put of by the very high cost of wanting all the unlocks in a game.

For me to get smash bros and all characters would cost £ 250 + £ 16 x 15 = £ 490.

Really ? Just see this as Nintendo go more niche / existing fan base

Eolz

If that's indeed 10 to 15$, that's a good price imo.
From the designs shown so far, all seem of good quality. Packaging looks good too.
Really liking Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Kirby and Samus. Will probably buy at least 1 or 2.

javac

Nothing wrong with that really. Hey it works. Everything is done with the interest of selling more so it's nothing exclusive to just this. There's even subliminal things in these products they add such as specific colours etc that gander more interest and help sell more so it's not really sleazy. It's in Nintendo's best interests that this makes it big in any case. I think Nintendo's betting big on this new initiative and they want to be number 1.

Top Bottom